• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nice, EA is opening a Classic Shard!!!

• Thread starter Draken-Korin
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3
D

Draken-Korin

OH DAMN, sorry bout that, its just Darkfall Online coming out Jan. 22, 2009!!!

Heres to hoping the long wait is worth it...

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yu actually piqued my curiosity for a second there DK...

M

Marcus Blackwell

hasnt that game in been in beta for like seven years? That long working on it they better hope its a good game and not another Shadow Bane.

D

Draken-Korin

No it hasnt been in Beta for 7 years, its been in beta for a very short time now.

It HAS been in development since around the time trammel came out though. Many of the people that work on Darkfall are vets from the early days of UO.

I agree there are games that have come and gone over UOs life, but the only reason its still alive is the insane amounts of people that pay NOT to play.

I am one of those people, as I know there are many others, that continue to walk the land I once cherished but have had no destination in my mind for far too long.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although I've been somewhat by myself since Hightimes left and essentially shut down MPD, I'm one of those people that'll likely always manage to find something in UO to occupy my time. I don't start playing with a destination in mind, I just end up where ever I have the most fun...

S

Sunrise

Although I've been somewhat by myself since Hightimes left and essentially shut down MPD, I'm one of those people that'll likely always manage to find something in UO to occupy my time. I don't start playing with a destination in mind, I just end up where ever I have the most fun...
Ditto. This game has always had many many options to play with. PvP..PvM...heck being a crafter or a fisherWomAn...the list goes on and on...

I still see homes of people that no longer play. But they still pay to keep there homes going. I have also seen lately alot of homes falling and new spots being made to place homes that no one is jumping on.. Which does scare me...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I have some issues with the title of this post. It is rather misleading, and well... You know.

I could lock this but it would not stop the the "Dark Fall Invasion". It is going to be discussed as yet another game starts and the inevitable "This is the one that kills UO" posts begin.

How many can say been there read that? How many times?

Another mod may differ in opinion and lock this, I am sorely tempted to end it just due to the title. *waits*

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have some issues with the title of this post. It is rather misleading, and well... You know.

I could lock this but it would not stop the the "Dark Fall Invasion". It is going to be discussed as yet another game starts and the inevitable "This is the one that kills UO" posts begin.

Another mod may differ in opinion and lock this, I am sorely tempted to end it just due to the title. *waits*

Stratics has a board for this all ready

http://vboards.stratics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
HAHA!

DK you are so bad LOL
Altho the last few years in UO havent been too exciting, I'm still in there so far.
Perhaps, we shall meet in Darkfall, somewhere, sometime. :)

If ya sign up, keep us posted, okay?

D

Draken-Korin

Of course I will Uriah, I am talking to you in ICQ, you could have said it there.*laughs*

If the game is any good I hope to recreate TWT there, so we shall see. Ill be sure to keep it off the boards here when and if that does happen.

You know I wouldnt want to be accused of singlehandedly ripping apart the very fabric of UO. *scoffs*

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
THP, ya should be aware, UO would be lucky to have the majority of its subscribers be peeps like DK, instead of brats and fanboi who will take anything EA dishes out and say "Ilove it!"

But I won't debate the point, not worth my time...

K

kennykilleduo

Beta tells me its going to be lame , way overhyped , UO will survive again....... :hahaha:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So a poster who posts a "neener-neener" post about another game's release is better than people who are willing to stand up for the game they play and provide actual feedback when they find something wrong with said game?

Such a strange criteria that advertising for the competition becomes MORE desired than support for the game upon which board the poster is posting.

Darkfall MIGHT be a good game, but it has a LOT of hype behind it from its own base of fanbois, it's been in a constant state of Vapourware, and the track record for non-con fantasy-based MMOGs has not exactly been the best (remember the main reason why UO simply did NOT tank during its non-con days was because it was the ONLY GAME IN TOWN... as soon as a non-con alternative appeared, the growth rate for UO slowed considerably until they put in the consent option.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You shouldn't surrender to spam (that's what I see these threads as - either deliberate spam or people who have simply been drinking too much hype).

(I may be wrong, but I predict that after its big opening, DF will quickly wither away as the "weakest 10%" leaves the game each month ... unless they've found a magic cure for the dysfunctional dynamic that permissive MUDs and MMORPGs have rediscovered time and again)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Gotta agree on thw whittling away. If Darkfall does not give a significant ability for people to play and NOT be involved, they'll simply go back to UO, WoW, or whatever MMOG is already out there. If Darkfall's PvP is not well balanced, you'll see the same thing.

Either way, anytime someone says something that has yet to be released is going to be the end all and be all of MMOGs, you have to start up the skepticism because we've been here before... Dawn, UO2, U:XO, Wish, Shadowbane, etc.

Hype is all well and good, but it sets up a pretty hard fall when you raise the bar of expectation so high.

H

HeathBar

Damn... Don't tease me like that!

And yay for Darkfall, it's about time this game is finally released. Lets just hope it's all they say it will be.

D

Draken-Korin

*looks over post and wonders*

Where the heck did I put in my post that UO was going to be put out of business with Darkfalls release???

No thats what I thought, I didnt.

Been a paying UO player since early 1999, not sure how many can say that now a days. Although ALL seem to want to make you believe they have been here since beta.

The people that pay not to play will continue to do so till the end of time to not lose what they hold dear, UOs memories (and the housing/items). Other players will come and go, many will have already left and returned. UO is THAT addictive, I would be a fool to argue that.

I was simply posting, a play on words if you will. For all you people that are posting thinking Im predicting the downfall of UO you need to read DEEPER.

Many vets and lovers of this game have asked for a classic shard, i dont want to hear well which era?? T2A is FINE. If you build it they will come... then leave it alone. For all you people thinking go to Siege get a clue, that shard is as tainted as the rest of them.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(for the record, I'm not deaf to the nostalgia people feel for the old days ... I don't share it, but I'm not deaf to it)

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A faithful rendition of the Second Age era would see a significant boost in returning players, as well as players who missed out on the so-called glory days. EA and Origin knew this (and Mythic probably does too), based on clearly observable evidence that cannot (and should not) be mentioned.

It is rumored that EA once invited a kind of "patron saint" of the T2A era, a very knowledgeable player and community organizer, to come on board and help develop a classic shard. But the person, having a dim view of EA, refused the offer. But, as the story goes, it could have happened.

A Renaissance (pre-AoS) shard would probably bring returns as well, for that era has its lion share of fans.

Having said that; Personally, I'm supportive of the post AoS eras, including ML (and even KR insomuch as it has served as a warm-up for SA). I am confident that Mythic is fully capable of ensuring that Ultima Online's greatest days are still ahead of us; and I'm looking forward to the next ten years.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ah, this explains all the sudden focus on Factions, Champs drops, PvP consumeables etc. la