• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nice, EA is opening a Classic Shard!!!

• Thread starter Draken-Korin
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Draken-Korin

OH DAMN, sorry bout that, its just Darkfall coming out Jan. 22, 2009!!!

Heres to hoping the long wait is worth it...

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I would absolutely love to see EA release a T2A shard...pre Ren, pre AoS.

If they would promise (like that means anything from them) that they would never move it forward into the other expansions...I would move there and never look back!

D

Draken-Korin

I pretty much gathered that from Mr. Clean and yourselfs wonderful telling of your history here.

I did not want to post in the middle of your tales, so I will say it here, your talk of days past sparked alot of my own memories of my birth and life here the past almost ten years.

I would just like to say thanks to both you and Mr. Clean for that.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I pretty much gathered that from Mr. Clean and yourselfs wonderful telling of your history here.

I did not want to post in the middle of your tales, so I will say it here, your talk of days past sparked alot of my own memories of my birth and life here the past almost ten years.

I would just like to say thanks to both you and Mr. Clean for that.
It is amazing how different the world is now than it was then.

When I first came to Ultima Online, both Clean and I had played Diablo online with Silverthorne. Of course, I was Morgana, Clean was Clean, and Silverthorne was the warrior...and I don't remember what he called himself.

If you look at the wizard character in Diablo, you can see exactly where Mr Clean got the idea for the name, and for the look of his UO character.

Anyway, I had some high hopes for UO. That is why I invested so much time and effort into the community back then. The social interaction of it all was amazing...the good vs. evil, us vs. them aspect was really incredible.

I hated it when they split the world into Neverwiter Nights and QuakeWorld.

D

Draken-Korin

I think many of us that remain from those early days feel the same. I had a conversation with a friend, I will not reveal her name she knows who she is *lol*. She is looking forward to seeing what Darkfall has to offer, as am I.

I was told that she also came from Diablo with a group of adventurers prior to her early days in uo. They were excited to play in a Massive Multi Player online world with HUGE amounts of people. She looks forward to perhaps that same feel of excitement as we all felt at that time long ago.

We are in a virtual world for good gods sake, if one cannot bring themselves to face risk and pure adventure here where could they? How boring.

If UO, and thats a HUGE IF as in NEVER, were to improve the game in a way of building on the strong core they had I would never leave *lol*. And DO NOT tell me that it cannot be done, worrying about graphics, murderers, thieves, risk, lions, tigers and bears OH MY. Lineage is a HUGE subscriber game, and check out the ruleset and VERY UO-like graphics there.

IT CAN BE DONE, but they won't.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Here is a brief list of the things that I loved about UO from day 1:

- Skill based. I hate class based/level based games.

- Open PvP.

- One world, no "zones"

- Crafting

- Social interaction.

Most of that no longer exists...but I still love the game!

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO has zones, always has.

They're just not very noticable.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait so is this for real? Has it been cancelled? Are we getting a classic shard, for sure? And will it run in the current client?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait so is this for real? Has it been cancelled? Are we getting a classic shard, for sure? And will it run in the current client?
I'm not sure if this guy is really just that dumb, or if it is intended as a troll.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

UO has zones, always has.

They're just not very noticable.
When I go from Fel to Malas...its very noticable.

I cannot go from Fel to Tram, or from Tram to Tokuno, without a gate, or a rune.

UO was not like that in the begining.

I could walk from Serpent's Hold to Britain. Only the dungeons were like "zones"...but one had to at least walk, or recall/gate to them.

But it was still possible to walk from the inn in Trinsic, to the dungeon Shame...nonstop.

Can any of the "New Gen" MMO's claim that?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I go from Fel to Malas...its very noticable.

I cannot go from Fel to Tram, or from Tram to Tokuno, without a gate, or a rune.

UO was not like that in the begining.

I could walk from Serpent's Hold to Britain. Only the dungeons were like "zones"...but one had to at least walk, or recall/gate to them.

But it was still possible to walk from the inn in Trinsic, to the dungeon Shame...nonstop.

Can any of the "New Gen" MMO's claim that?
Every server in UO is split into subservers/zones. Walk from Minoc to the moongate. Feel that little jolt of lag right as you reach it?

You just crossed a "zone" boundary.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

That may be true, but at least it does not cut away to some screen, or make me wait there for several seconds.

The server boundries are not like zones in that once you are across a server boundry, you are still accessible by those on the other side of it, you are still in sight of those on the other side of it, and you can hit targets on the other side of it.

If you move from one zone to the next in most other games I have seen, that is not true.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure if this guy is really just that dumb, or if it is intended as a troll.
And I am not sure if you're really this much of a jerk, or if you just intended to troll.

I'm 2 days back into UO from like a six year hiatus. So bite me if I'm asking for old information. A simple answer would have sufficed.

Contrary to some people, I don't live and die by knowing every bit of the future plans for UO. In fact I didn't even know UO was still running before a couple of weeks ago.

D

Draken-Korin

Sorry Duskofdead I made that post, it was just a joke of sorts. I suppose a "bad" one if they moved it here.

Anyways if you are on the Atlantic Shard look up the TWT guild, we are going to be rebuilding again shortly and are in search of mature members that want to have a good time doing a bit of everything.

WIth that said once we rebuild it is more than likely we will head to Darkfall, if it is worth the move. I will attempt to get everyone I can to join us in that game due to EAs refusal to come up with a classic shard.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay this is about as unrelated as the original post is to the thread title, buuuuut... I heard that Earth and Beyond was making a come back? I can't find any news about this, has anybody else heard anything?

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry Duskofdead I made that post, it was just a joke of sorts. I suppose a "bad" one if they moved it here.

Anyways if you are on the Atlantic Shard look up the TWT guild, we are going to be rebuilding again shortly and are in search of mature members that want to have a good time doing a bit of everything.

WIth that said once we rebuild it is more than likely we will head to Darkfall, if it is worth the move. I will attempt to get everyone I can to join us in that game due to EAs refusal to come up with a classic shard.
Sorry for being rude. *Bow*

Z

zorrah

I should have known, this being in the OT forum.. but the title got me SO frigging excited. Damn you.

I started playing back in beta and have come and gone quite a few times (more going than coming back). This last stint has been my longest, at almost two years. It has also, sadly, been my most frustrating and disappointing. I miss the way the game was once played; that is to say, I miss the sense of community and variety of gameplay: a combination that I have not yet been able to find in any other game.

I guess that's why I'm still playing. It's not really because I like it very much, but because there's nothing better out there, and dammit, these little pixels remind me of the more enjoyable days of gaming when every action and item wasn't figured down to a percentage point and PVP wasn't something you queued for, but rather, a very real every day threat (unlike squishy slimes).

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The server boundries are not like zones in that once you are across a server boundry, you are still accessible by those on the other side of it, you are still in sight of those on the other side of it, and you can hit targets on the other side of it.

QUOTE]

Aye is nice to have that but i may point out just to be a pita lol that in tokuno just west of mt sho volcano there is server line in the mountain pass that you can see the other side of but you can not target and attack the other side. Makes it a big pain when you use a tamer there as the pets have trouble with the line.

L

Lord Patapon

You should be hanged with your intestines and then be driven over by a dozen Volvo cars for making a post title like this.
:(