• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Next New Land ? Fresh start without leaving your shard.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A fix is a new land. Not any form of new shard.

What makes it not fel for PVP? Not one item available to players today exist there, and maybe never ever exist there. It is not SP shardish being everything is new and fresh without established population to play catch-up with.

Can only get there naked on foot petless, Bankbox empty & Stables empty. Or create new character of new race that only they can train in a new skill/s.

Once you cross over first choice mage or fighter suit option. Mage is 100% LRC basic leathers 2 each regn for your race. Fighter all 55s suit with 2 each regn of your race. Basic caster books NPC offered ( books that need to be filled by scrolls have basic starter spells needed to survive)

Gold as a loot item is a rarety. Have to save up if want to insure an item.

Land mass is divided by a natural or man made barrier that the main city is on or in. Go WEST and get full on pucker factor adventuring. Go EAST can avoid increased heart rate game play. WEST side gathering doubled for crafting needs. Both side have their dungeons and seas. Some shared and not shared bosses. EAST side shore fishing camp with gypsy NPCs. WEST shore has Pirate cove with garg dock worker NPCs. Only race that could survive staying in biz need to be able to fly away when the natives get restless.

Gems are used by the city for selling and buying. Gems can be turned in at bank for NPC credits shared by the whole account. Wish they thought of that. Add in those funky art gems that don't stack with basic gems. Just add some zeros to their value over the basic gems. Can be found as rare loot and are bought and sold with Bank Gem Exchanger.

Chance for new mobs and tames. Or just some good old stick and paste fun for the artist over current mobs.

Only form of housing is on the WEST side are preplaced plots. They can only be claimed by a guild leader. Guild needs to drop gems on the grounds keeper to cove decay timer. There is a center saferoom that only current controling guild members can be rezed at. Construction of theese plots have a cost and increase the plots HP. Front corners of house has statues of sorts that can be target of damage. Only the safe room is not public on the plot. All Doors, Teleporters and Stairs can be the target of direct damage based on their value. There is a cap on the decay timer stored points. A rare drop from some boss can raise that decay points that player damage goes at first. Damage done to the plot reduces those decay points to zero the plots structure then starts taking damage. Random parts of the building will absorb the damage and their cost for placement is it's HP. Let the artist have fun with decaying images at stages of damage. Damaged structures can be repaired by required crafter using the right materials or combination of. Other option is complete tear down and fresh cost replacement. Only the shards prime time can full damage be done to plots. 1/4 damage on off hours. House sign is a flagpole that lowers with decay/damage. High ranked guild based off secondary flag whos hight is based of boss drop additional points. Secondary points levels over a week old is what ranks the guild homes at end of month. Ranking based off the number of active plots are rewarded for the next month of a guild miner/jacker NPC. They wander off at a random direction collecting. First tree or mountain they run into and return with their load. Theese NPCs all look the same, can be killed/looted and respawn after a time at their home base. Ah that squad of stealth archers following their NPC out the door as bait for highway men protection. Top three guilds have higher front gate option they can place at their material cost. Bring on the horse drawn seige weapons with set up time and HP. "Everyone protect the guys with the reloads, they die and are looted, the cannon is deco." "Combat Crafter fix the weapons. They are firing slowly"
A cure for house sitting PVPers. Seige Weapons are bought from the armory outside the gates of the main city. They move through pet commands. Can only be set up and dismanteled (only at full HP) by the owner. DC the weapon and the beast towing vannishes and that is the set lane of fire. Unloaded full HP weapon can have the towing beast resummoned. At death/destruction an icon of ruin can be picked up and sold to the armory.

Player housing later on would be through some of that moonstone drop insanity of a random plot deed. Random size and some possible set design new land specials. Also even rarer a plot that is for the spawn free barrier area. This plot drop system is something they can turn on and off without notice. Earned plot deeds can also be sold to an NPC at bank for cold hard uber rare gold coins. Only someone that sold one theese deeds would have the gold coins to cover insurance of a whole suit for 10-12 deaths.

Forgot to add in the return to the old lands. Well considering the method to return there would be a need for pet storage that would be unique here. Something like the stalls at Mag but your pets are not for sale and a boarding fee will do away with forever. Item storage would be a land bound kind of boat hold with a storage fee to hold stuff you would want there upon return. Why leave? Unique deco items from the new lands should be the only thing desired in the old lands. Any weapons, armor or pets would just create balance issues that a new land is there to avoid. There would have to be a new area lock keeping any new gear or pets from being able to cross over. Not that any new gear would be desired if it can be looted. Now if the new tames are nothing more then current tames with new names and art. Pet crossing could be allowed and bring on the exporting of Greater White Wyrms. And the Orc ride Worg with the self cross heals with bandies.

Last edited:

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice idea, but no - most shard are way to empty already without adding a new vast landmass.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is virtually a whole new game within the game. I'm no coder, so I could be entirely wrong, but it seems to me the development time needed to create it would be pretty huge. Would enough people actually use it to justify that level of development?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Houses only on the west side with the PKer types. That isn't likely to go over to well with most players. As an example, compare the populations of Fel vs Tram, or Siege vs production shards. <shrugs> A lot of dev team man hours for something that, by past history, few would be interested in.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only thing new is homes with HP like boats. Cross breeding cannon with pet code. Guild tracking of a plots control is the only new.

Option new would be a race or skills.

Slap a new name and art on a Lich Lord with an oversized Tricorne Hat. They do that already. Slap in a crossbow for mortal wounds over an Ice Eli with new name and art and have the start of a crew for an undead pirate boat.

Getting someplace limited by a gate needing a quest. Naked on foot without anything is human to elf quest with a way to release everything in the characters stables. You carry your bankbox with you everywhere already so it can be crossover check to block movement..

I'm sure they have it down pack for slapping down land and water tiles by now with little Z axis modeling.

Guild NPC that mines and jacks? Put a hatchet in the backpack of a headless miner. Option window ore - ore/granite - wood - all the above. Sure there is some third party script out there they can study for an NPC AI. We all see it in game working just fine.

Dead shards are dead shard. Like bulls nuts on a field mouse. They have problems to solve already that are huge, and my ideal of adding a third nut is not going to make things any worse. What makes a shard dead and how does my ideal effect them besides a download that can be ignored. Not like I'm adding land mass for more castle plots that already has free space and still can complain. No need to shut down shards that players are happy to pay/play on. Experience has tought us they move or quit if they are not happy. Only thing my ideal makes harder is a circle for a 6 for those that already wont go to fel for a red character to join.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice idea, but no - most shard are way to empty already without adding a new vast landmass.
Actually I prefer they create brand new shards with only character skill transfer. These new shards would have vendor wide search, better housing options, new features. The features would be so compelling that people would *want* to move there. Once the population of the other shards was dropped to less than 100 log ins a day - they could start shutting down the old shards.

I mean, after 15 years - this game needs to move on to stay/be relevant. 30 shards with only 3-4 active shards is discouraging to new and old players.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Houses only on the west side with the PKer types. That isn't likely to go over to well with most players. As an example, compare the populations of Fel vs Tram, or Siege vs production shards. <shrugs> A lot of dev team man hours for something that, by past history, few would be interested in.
Past history? My second opening statement.

Factions was a creation from the unknowning for the unwilling. Bring back order and chaos allowing reds to show their face outside fel. Just bring back skill loss for reds dieing outside fel and Ilsh. Outside fel reds must behave till they see their sworn order or chaos enemy. Ilsh needs fel based dungeon areas like the abyss for some that tram hunting bosses in fel style

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY limited insurance use in this land.

Those west side cribs are far from housing as we know it. Other players and time can make them umpermanent. They are never private after whatever enterance is destroyed.

Controlled loot for drop items and no vendors to store 1000s of BODs even runics will be far and few. Gem based bribery.

SP one character per account or please visit our store for your soulstone needs. Compared to a play area on your fav shard with your click of friends. New experiences in the uo relm without all the crutches of the past as far as material gains.

The only players that would have an issue with this land. Are ones that depend on items for their leetness. Don't want a player of 5 years to be on equal ground with a 15 year vet (that 20 skill points, a month old account has grounds to complain.) Players that want every shiney the game offers and someplace to store it, before the milk goes bad in their fridge.

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The only players that would have an issue with this land. Are ones that depend on items for their leetness. Don't want a player of 5 years to be on equal ground with a 15 year vet (that 20 skill points, a month old account has grounds to complain.) Players that want every shiney the game offers and someplace to store it, before the milk goes bad in their fridge.
Actually, I don't think that is a correct assumption. Many long-term players don't aspire to "leetness" and don't have or want every shiney in the game. UO players are a widely diverse population, and most are probably still playing because UO offers such a wealth of content appealing to every possible personality and playstyle. Although I can appreciate some of your ideas, I don't believe a new land subject to the changes mentioned would actually improve the game or be a wise investment of development time. That's just my opinion, of course.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO Forums recently did an interview with UO Associate Designer Kyronix.

Here is one excerpt of particular note. Please note the last 2 sentences, which for convenience of reading I have bolded and italicized.

What has shocked you the most about joining the Dev team?
Oh wow. There has been a lot but I think the most shocking truth is how massive this process is. Everything from the world itself to the hardware that keeps it operational, to the complexity of the content that is wrapped up within it, it truly is huge. Every now and again I find myself sitting back in awe of what kind of task it must have been to build it initially, to the point where I look at it now and can truly appreciate almost how beautifully chaotic it is while at the same time working. I think I’ve also gotten a greater appreciation as to nothing in UO is never, “Just” something. There is no such thing as a couple of lines of code and a seemingly easy task can turn out to be a monstrous undertaking.
If something seemingly easy can turn out to be monstrous, imagine how monstrous something that is seemingly monstrous will be. And the proposal in the original post is nothing if not seemingly monstrous. It is, in effect, a brand new MMO which merely happens to have portions of UO's basic engine and a critical part of it seemingly being borrowed from Shadowbane, a game which no longer exists.

Not too long ago, I had a proposal centering around a revamped Harrower that would occasionally spawn in Ilshenar but primarily would spawn in Felucca, which could drop any item in the game of any significance or note, and that proposal was soundly criticized as being too much for right now.

If my proposal was too much for right now, yours is too much, ever.

This is of course aside from the issue of further splintering the UO player base between facets.

-Galen's player

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But like magic a land with new skills, critters and a flying race came into being. Boats that cannons can be strapped to and fired at other boats. That is a bunch of new. Very little I describe doesn't already exist besides the guild house ideals. That in a land without almost no insurance where a guild working as a team to accomplish something besides dominating the champs or the gate. The seperation would be between those that like to PVP at risk and those that most their PVP time goes on in CHAT.

They add in one those unseen runestones in Ilsh so Harry gets spawned there? What advantage is it for fel world generated spawn happening in Ilsh unless a paragon chest might be had. Making Ilsh fel ruleset during a harry spawn duration would be well harry. An abyss style fel dungeon with paragon spawn in Ilsh they could easily add in one those spawn generator runes.

They have done things by your thinking that should not have happened. There major hurdle is doing the very little for the most pay. Few work for the love of it and even few reward hardwork that does great things. I blame EA everytime I use the word "THEY". And the they at fualt need the latest jetskis or golf clubs more then putting out a timeless product.

Got to Go.

Making the impossible come true is what I do, and RL issue going to ruin a lazy day of easy work. Someone want to know if I can make antique massidonian door assembly work in american standard door. If not I need to give them a cost of hand constructing an american looking door that will take those assemblies. Cakewalk for someone trained in electronic warfare repairs. At best I will break even and have fun doing it. Life is loads easier when you don't care what kind of jetskis the Jones's just bought.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What the-

I don't even....

What?

Half of this looks like it was written with a random word generator... The other half looks like one of the worst ideas ive seen in a long time.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO Forums recently did an interview with UO Associate Designer Kyronix.

Here is one excerpt of particular note. Please note the last 2 sentences, which for convenience of reading I have bolded and italicized.
That interview left me with a followup question considering his background per the interview and that statement. If your formal education was initially in Microbiology and you spent 4 years at an aquarium, and as an EM before getting the job at Mythic. What is your programming background like? Was it a switch from Microbiology to Programming in college?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That interview left me with a followup question considering his background per the interview and that statement. If your formal education was initially in Microbiology and you spent 4 years at an aquarium, and as an EM before getting the job at Mythic. What is your programming background like? Was it a switch from Microbiology to Programming in college?
I actually went back and learned game development, of which a large portion was programming, in the time between becoming an EM and starting at Mythic.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What the-

I don't even....

What?

Half of this looks like it was written with a random word generator... The other half looks like one of the worst ideas ive seen in a long time.
Once upon a time, a random word generator went to a bar. While there, he met the worst idea of all time. A lot of drinks, and 9 months later, a Stratics Forums post was born.

I have to side with those saying that this idea is far too big to be contemplated unless someone can convince EA/Mythic to hire a seperate dev team to concentrate just on this (ie...it ain't gonna happen). Oh yeah, I also don't like the idea itself for several different reasons.

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have little time in the morning to break everything down as if explaining to a child. I tend to run thoughts in a choppy manner. My mistake thinking readers have experience in the game and can see or comment on the bits. If your confuse on lets say what a cannon is in the game and it's effect say so.

Amazing. That was you and your buddy sharing a stool at the end of the bar.

So what is the next big thing that will happen in size along the line of SA or HS. Or was that to big to ever happen also. There was some good ideals about Orcs. I break it down later and repost in with military 2nd grade level content. If I was looking for one liner views with out a point I would of added in a troll free vote.
Actually, I don't think that is a correct assumption. Many long-term players don't aspire to "leetness" and don't have or want every shiney in the game. UO players are a widely diverse population, and most are probably still playing because UO offers such a wealth of content appealing to every possible personality and playstyle. Although I can appreciate some of your ideas, I don't believe a new land subject to the changes mentioned would actually improve the game or be a wise investment of development time. That's just my opinion, of course.

I play along your style. The basic Ideal of a new area without all those items. Area with new goals. Maybe skill. And rare deco or clean gear to finnish out with imbuer. The middle ground would be the main city with PVM to the right and PVP to the left. The middle would be crafter/imbuers. Trading there craft for materials. Selling repair deeds (days of old trusting someone with your stuff is gone). Crafting GM gear for sale being insurance is scarce. For PVM there will be no need to introduce something that challenges a soloist being they don't own everything under the sun. Hell a fisherman will be a deity just for the pearls they fish up for adding standard slayer to weapons.

Short is our characters are spoiled children and nothing new gear wise can make us happy. All our toys never break or get lost. They need new monsters that even taking up a whole screen to try to impress us. A new shard where everyone is on even ground using some the old days gamestyle wont work. This new land ideal gets down to basics where a lich is not a one hit kill and there is a chance for loot that means something off it. No crafter has a decade of BODs stored on a dozen vendors and can bribe there way to high end runics. Artifact ownership and use will be legendary. And the first template that will be in high demand is the Scribe. Been a long time that a player made their living purely selling books.

Last edited:

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about when you cross the sever line you become either a bug, and have to find garbage to eat to stay alive or a Bird who fly's around looking for bugs to eat. The garbage comes from the birds.

NO SPELLS, NO FIGHTING, NO CRAFTING, its either live or dye.

As to the Original idea NO.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's an interesting idea for a whole new game. It's not completely new in and of itself, it has elements of several games I am familiar with, but it needs its own place to move about.

If you can program, Kickstarter might be your best friend.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It keeps getting worse. What does it mean? If my "buddy at the bar" talked like this I would say he's had enough and drive him home.

I'm not a professional code cracker but I'm pretty sure this is some kinda of encrypted message.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Slap a new name and art on a Lich Lord with an oversized Tricorne Hat. They do that already. Slap in a crossbow for mortal wounds over an Ice Eli with new name and art and have the start of a crew for an undead pirate boat.
I think you drastically under estimate the amount of work it would take to "slap on" new art... let alone all of this complex new content you are envisioning.