• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] Your Imagination, Let it Live Thru Them

• Thread starter Merci d'Rue
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

Merci d'Rue

Creating a Roleplay Character can seem a daunting task. However whether you are new to roleplay, returning to it after a break, or just looking for something different it is a deeply rewarding experience. Our characters are an extenuation of our imaginations. They breathe each breath we give them. They feel each tear or smile we dream for them. They are our private calm away from the storm.

I have asked several roleplayers from across the shards, what is the most important thing when creating a roleplay character. To their credit this was a hard task in that everyone has their own style, and no answer to this question is wrong. It is hard to define out one item when so many thoughts come to mind. Yet they did it, and we are greatly rewarded for their efforts. Below I have highlighted (in no particular order) five different things deemed highly important by random Roleplayers across the shards.

Backstory​

In my opinion, the crucial part is having a past and a back story that is plausible, believable, and unique without being fantastical and playable. If you can't remember your own past, why should anyone else? -Jaymee, Europa
Never were words so true, but do it for yourself, to make your character come to life for you. While it helps others the truth is having a backstory gives you the foundation you need to begin.

Play to Their Flaws​
An old roleplayer once told me that the most important aspect of a character is not his strengths, his powers, his goals, but his flaws. It is those flaws that sets a character apart, makes him human. --Nicholas the Old (WarderDragon)-Baja
Flaws, weaknesses, we all have them. To make a character believable for yourself, and others you should give great thought to their vices. If they are perfect, why roleplay them? Why should others want to roleplay with you? The stories done, you have no where to go, and nothing to overcome. Often times the most rewarding roleplay has to do with vices, or flaws, be they great or small.

Have Fun!

They need to be fun to play. If you don't kinda love the guy or gal, you wont play them--Capricorn /sage-Pacific Shard
Fun! Don't pick something that you wont enjoy in the long run. We are here to have fun I don't know how many people I know, who created a character on a whim for a joke or just to have fun, often it turned out to be a character they played the most.

Inspiration and Style

I think for me...The Most important part of creating a roleplay character is the inspiration. The idea that creates the foundation for this character that everything will build upon. Anyone can say 'I want to play a pirate' or ' I want to play a paladin. But what really makes that character your own? --Myrddin ab'Arawn-Atlantic
What inspires you. There are a million ways to play a type of character. Its all about style, making them your own, that defines us. Its what endears us to them and others. Their strengths, weaknesses, quirks, mannerisms. Its your creativity that builds them, enhances them, changes them, creativity is the key.

Love your Character

To me though, developing a character you can actually like is important. RP is hard enough without playing a character you'll come to dislike. To be real to others, your character must be real to you. So look within your dreams and thoughts for some sort of being which you have long dreamed of being.
--Aedon-Catskills
Do what you like, what you feel you can add realism to, whether you have researched it or know from personal experience. It will bring your character to life for you and others.

The items above have dealt with the concepts and thoughts behind character creation. I also wanted to go over a few basics to help those new to roleplay get started, they are not rules set in stone, but I know they helped me when I started out.

A. Name- Give them a first and last name, maybe even a middle. You don't have to but often it helps.

B. Speech-consider how your character would talk, whether they would have an accent, perhaps they don't talk at all or rarely.

C. Apparel- How would they dress! From head to toe this helps the effect.

D. Profile- A Character profile is often useful. Things others would see on them that the game can not express. For example, Scars, Height,Weight, facial features, eye color. A distinct perfume or aroma.

Reporters Note: Thank you to all those that helped with this article. I appreciate the time, effort and care you put into your responses.

S

siyeng0

You have angered the ghost.

a woman necromancer

how ridiculous

women can't be necromancers

*rages impotently*

go back to cutting oilcloths you wretched creature and leave this noble art alone