• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Servants and Fools

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taken from: The Gold Brew Tavern

*Reporter's note: The following story was written "In Character" so please remember that even though you are reading this on Stratics, your character In Game will NOT know this information.

Servants and Fools

Sunday, June 28, 2009
By EMPallando
The cold night had released a chill wind into the castle. The light of the nearby torch had begun to fade. Many of the servants had already retired hours prior.

Still, Casca sat still in his study, his mind consuming him. This was nothing new though. Many sleepless nights he had endured since his ascension to the throne, and this hardly seemed unlike any other.

Yet behind Casca’s eyes unblinking, his thoughts raced on. The different facets of his thoughts wrestling with each other, fighting over possible outcomes, future decisions, past failures, former masters, current ones, the misunderstood desires of his heart and the wishes of his forcibly corrupted soul.

More so , Casca felt the full weight of his dark masters and their power upon his shoulders. It was now that he felt the final vestiges of his former, uncorrupted self cease its long struggle and slip away into the nether that awaited him.

So mired in contemplation was he that even seemingly staring straight ahead at the door, Casca did not see the figure enter the poorly lit room.

It was a familiar voice that finally shook him back into himself.

“You called for me, my Lord?”

Blinking several times, regaining himself, Casca focused his eyes, seeing his Lord Emissary, Trubo Saius, standing before him.

“Yes, Lord Emissary, please sit”, said Casca, clearing his throat and motioning towards the seat on the other side of the small table.

And there, in that moment of transfer and silence, while Trubo drew up the chair, Casca put his sight to the pale shining jewel that adorned the neck of his most trusted servant, feeling a rush of recycled thoughts reenter his mind.

“To think such a small thing could restrain so great an evil”, thought Casca, as he had many times before. But it was not perfect by far, it is true. The magic could falter at times of great stress or through the sheer willpower of this dispossessed monster, but it was enough.

“But a power so grand and a soul so consumed can never be directly controlled or possessed, only kept in check…To the benefit of others.”

Casca smiled, sitting up to face Trubo.

“You have done as I ordered?” asked Casca.

“I have, great King. The warnings have been sent and preparations have begun as according to your directions.”

Casca sensed doubt in Trubo’s voice.

“You have more to say, Lord Emissary?”

Trubo adjusted himself, keeping his head bowed as he spoke.

“My Lord, your recent meeting with Lady Nystad has come to my attention. She says we are not go to war. She says you will not commit the Army. And I am hardly anyone to question your plans sire, yet here we stand at the precipice of war and you turn back so suddenly? This –”

Holding forward his palm and interrupting Trubo, Casca stood up slowly but said nothing at first. He turned and calmly walked over to the sole window in the room, his small, jeweled crown glinting slightly in the weak moonlight as he gazed into the moat below.

“The Captain is correct, Lord Emissary. The War of Shadows taxed us all to our unbreakable limits. Both the people and myself are loathe to force our soldiers to do battle again so soon, much less against our own people”, said Casca.

Trubo stood up swiftly, his chair scraping against the stone floor, placing his palms on the table. Trubo’s necklace gem grew brighter as the magic strained.

“But my liege! Better that we considered this before resorting to open war! If we hesitate now, if we show any weakness, those foul vultures will consume our fair kingdom! You offered them peace, stability, and freedom under your benevolent rule! Rife with their ill begotten pride they haughtily chose the sword, as I predicted!”

Casca could feel the anger in Trubo’s voice but felt his Lord Emissary quickly regain himself and the magic reassert control.

“A thousand apologies, great King. There is still the side of me that questions your plans and doubts your wisdom, but it is silent now, and soon it shall forever be,” Trubo said in a lower voice as he placed himself next to the King, kneeling in subservience.

Turning his eyes to Trubo, Casca smiled once again, his thoughts no longer at war with one another. A red gleam came to his eyes.

“The Army will not commit to the war, Lord Emissary. But the treasury will.”

Event Announcement
Event Location: The Black Gates at the rebel locations
When: Throughout the coming weeks
Notes:
1) There will be a rune book locked down with the locations to the black gates at West Britain Bank roof
2) If any of the rebel kingdoms want to opt out of it then you simply need to surrender
3) There might be clues on the invading forces from time to time!

Links to related topics:
Negotiating for a King's Grace: Event Announcement, Schedule, Rules
Negotiating For A King's Grace Or Britannian Hegemony?
Captain Nystad Sent to Tokuno

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The runebook to the Black Gates at West Britain Bank

I have put out runes to the Black Gates and to the independent cities with banners at my house north west of the Luna wall. The Felucca runes are dyed red ... Use at your own risk.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope your coffers are well stocked, Lord Casca, because you haven't even dented us yet. And I know this isn't cheap.

But what say the people now? Here they are, minding their own business, paying their taxes; and it is the King himself who would use your hard earned money to pay for his pitiful personal war.

Each of the Independent Kingdoms had offered their services in some way to the King but he would have nothing but complete obedience. And it is for this reason now that the Treasury is tapped to fight another war.

Stand up for yourselves and let yourselves be heard! A king's only power emanates from his rule over his citizens; are you as citizens pleased with his actions?

NOTE: Cartel Island is in Fel. Cartel are PKs. Unfortunately, what this means is that people who come onto our island are subject to be attacked at any time.

Our island does not spawn Healers, and there is no way off of the island except for Help Stuck'ing and/or asking us for a gate.

So please prepare in advance if you are coming to visit Horseshoe Island; thus far we have not welcomed visitors.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Call me a wench will he??!! Thanks to those of you that have aided the Heaven's Forge gate!! Arlon and I are looking forward to seeing many of you as this false king tries to bully his way around!!

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope your coffers are well stocked, Lord Casca, because you haven't even dented us yet. And I know this isn't cheap.

But what say the people now? Here they are, minding their own business, paying their taxes; and it is the King himself who would use your hard earned money to pay for his pitiful personal war.

Each of the Independent Kingdoms had offered their services in some way to the King but he would have nothing but complete obedience. And it is for this reason now that the Treasury is tapped to fight another war.

Stand up for yourselves and let yourselves be heard! A king's only power emanates from his rule over his citizens; are you as citizens pleased with his actions?

NOTE: Cartel Island is in Fel. Cartel are PKs. Unfortunately, what this means is that people who come onto our island are subject to be attacked at any time.

Our island does not spawn Healers, and there is no way off of the island except for Help Stuck'ing and/or asking us for a gate.

So please prepare in advance if you are coming to visit Horseshoe Island; thus far we have not welcomed visitors.

Remember Ken, your character doesnt actually KNOW Casca is behind it all, he can only guess =P
But yes, Seppo really likes the Dark Tower cause Cymidei told Xel to tell Seppo to step up the spawn for us little emo kids at the Tower lol
Needless to say we were attacked within seconds with a spawn that kept on coming for a good while lol

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you do decide to check out Horseshoe (Cartel) Island, be prepared to meet a scene like this ... And I reinforce what SuperKen says about this island ... healers DO NOT spawn on this island.

This is Cartel's island, and they have homes here ... They are a proud group who has always defended their home, and will continue to do so!

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember Ken, your character doesnt actually KNOW Casca is behind it all, he can only guess =P
Wait, wouldn't my character be really clear on who's attacking our island? The meeting was held, no agreement was made, there's a banner outside that says war will come to our island courtesy of Lord Saius...and then a black portal opens up and mercenaries pour out.

I wasn't referring to anything else...honest!

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait, wouldn't my character be really clear on who's attacking our island? The meeting was held, no agreement was made, there's a banner outside that says war will come to our island courtesy of Lord Saius...and then a black portal opens up and mercenaries pour out.

I wasn't referring to anything else...honest!
hehe, well in last nights event Lady Aino stated that Casca had changed his mind and didnt want war afterall so she is now "researching" it

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, I didn't catch that...so...character-wise, do I know that he doesn't want war, or do I?

I figured with the huge banner outside, and then mercernaries showing up, it'd be pretty plain to see.

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well it can be either of two things,
1. Casca did indeed pull a "retreat" cause he didnt really want war after all and that someone else like Saius went ahead behind the kings back and instead of using the kingdom's army hired Mercs
or
2. Casca lied to Aino, trying to get her killed and instead of using the kingdom's army is now using OUR hard earned tax money to try and kill us =P (aka, which is what is really happening! *shakes fist at Seppo*)