• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Publish 55 to All Shards

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Publish 55 to All Shards
Jeremy Dalberg
09 Sep 2008 17:20:45

Publish 55 will be published to all shards during their next regular maintenance (for the Japanese shards, we just missed them - it'll get published there during tomorrow's maintenance.)

To see the full Publish 55 notes, clicky this! http://update.uo.com/design_595.html

C

Connor_Graham

Yayyy!

Larisa beat everyone to the announcement!!!

:danceb:

M

MoonglowMerchant

Publish 55 to All Shards
Jeremy Dalberg

Publish 55 will be published to all shards during their next regular maintenance (for the Japanese shards, we just missed them - it'll get published there during tomorrow's maintenance.)

To see the full Publish 55 notes, clicky this! http://update.uo.com/design_595.html
Yay! RoT is still broken!

Yay!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't wait. I'm looking forward to the commodity boxes, and the cocoa tree.

D

drfunk

So im guessing the spring clean system is not over.. we can still turn items in for points? or has this already been hashed out over and over.... :/

L

Lord Drakelord

Publish 55 to All Shards
Jeremy Dalberg

I see this as good news, bad news and more good news, the collectors will be gone, spring turn in is over and we get new Vet Rewards!!

R

Righteous

Yeah finally some vet rewards I want, I have 15 saved up.

Righteous

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still no explanation about for the "Spellbooks are now disarmable"

I don't buy the "Bug fix" thing. If it was a bug they would have fixed it when they introduced spellbooks with mods.

Bad job outta the Jeremy as far as communication on this one.

E

Evilminion

Seems pretty straightforward to me. You carry a spellbook like a weapon, your enemy uses a disarming move, spellbook goes to your backpack.

Why should mages be exempt from an attack that takes stuff out of your hands? It's not like they've been training their grip.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems pretty straightforward to me. You carry a spellbook like a weapon, your enemy uses a disarming move, spellbook goes to your backpack.

Why should mages be exempt from an attack that takes stuff out of your hands? It's not like they've been training their grip.
since when does UO have anything to do with reality? why would someone run around holding a huge book the size of their torso in the first place?

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
since when does UO have anything to do with reality? why would someone run around holding a huge book the size of their torso in the first place?
To look up the words they forgot...?

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still no explanation about for the "Spellbooks are now disarmable"

I don't buy the "Bug fix" thing. If it was a bug they would have fixed it when they introduced spellbooks with mods.

Bad job outta the Jeremy as far as communication on this one.
I dont see what the big deal is you lose your faster cast when your staf of magi or swords of propserty get disarmed. Just make macro to rearm it. Just be glad they dont make you arm your spell book to cast like they used to.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont see what the big deal is you lose your faster cast when your staf of magi or swords of propserty get disarmed. Just make macro to rearm it. Just be glad they dont make you arm your spell book to cast like they used to.
it's not a big deal. i just think it warrants an explanation.

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

it's not a big deal. i just think it warrants an explanation.
Right, cause apparently everything that goes into a publish should always be run by you first !!! :bowdown:
They don't have to explain anything, it's things people such as yourself have been asking for.. deal with it, adapt or just log off!

:next:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Moses did it, with 2 books the size of his torso, and his were made out of solid rock....well, ummm, if you believe that kind of stuff.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Tomorrow's going to be a fun evening... new vet rewards and new reason to PvM hunt.

Good stuff!

E

Eslake

Because they haven't added an EquipLastSpellbook macro to match the one for weapons that are disarmed. ;)

L

Lord Kynd

since when do spellbooks do physical damage ?
we just hold them, we don't actually use them to fight with other than reading spells.. which a true mage wouldn't need a book once they learned the spell.

L

Lord Kynd

Publish 55 to All Shards
Jeremy Dalberg

so much for Origin being a 'special' shard where publish's would sit for 1 week before progressing to the rest of the shards.
why was Origin created again ?

A

AesSedai

Weren't we supposed to get an advanced fair warning before the Spring turn-in event ended? Did I miss that?

(*Is currently scrambling to turn stuffs in, heh*)

D

Duku

Sorry, i didnt pay much attention on changes on TC, has each proposed fix been implemented, or something has bee modified?

Thx

K

Kendra_of_Umbra

so much for Origin being a 'special' shard where publish's would sit for 1 week before progressing to the rest of the shards.
why was Origin created again ?
cause origin was supposed be the live production test shard in sence.
but cause EA doesn't believe in fixing stuff that is broke, why publish it to the supposed "test shard" first?

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know Im glad the turn ins is over, but I did get alot of recipes I didnt have. My UO hubby is really glad its over now that ill be leaving the rest of his 6342 boards alone.

Pied Piper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because they haven't added an EquipLastSpellbook macro to match the one for weapons that are disarmed. ;)

yeah its silly but the equip last wep macro works for spellbooks. When I 1st started UO I figured that out because I figures that since they didn't have spellbook one; the wep one would work for it...as far as unequiping and equiping real fast..

I used to use it to help me chug and keep shield for def....

K

Kith Kanan

Moses did it, with 2 books the size of his torso, and his were made out of solid rock....well, ummm, if you believe that kind of stuff.
Yeah but he wassent playing the weakest mage templet aroun , and he surely had the dev's on his side , cant realy say the same fro wrestling mages now can you ????

Its a nerf to the weakest mage temp around and an explanation to that would be nice tbh......

C

Connor_Graham

Someone had mentioned in another thread that you might want to check out EquipRightArm & EquipLeftArm. I dunno if they're there, but the person that mentioned it said they'd been using it for years. It was Viper09 I think that had said that.

C

Connor_Graham

Weren't we supposed to get an advanced fair warning before the Spring turn-in event ended? Did I miss that?

We did get one. Several in fact.

D

Duku

Sorry, i didnt pay much attention on changes on TC, has each proposed fix been implemented, or something has bee modified?

Thx

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eew... I remembered that. Real difficult to be a Magi in the early days and use
a weapon too! That was before they <devs.> nerf any of the spells.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

J

Jeremy

This was one of those situations where circumstances forced us to leave it on Origin for less time than we'd like. We had a bit of internal hardware go down last week (that's why we didn't do the client patch on Thursday) which forced us to delay the Origin publish until Monday. We would have been happier with a week on Origin, but we didn't want to delay the publish yet another week for it.

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any word on a potential release date for the information on publish 56 and the event stuff?

F

Flora Green

This was one of those situations where circumstances forced us to leave it on Origin for less time than we'd like. We had a bit of internal hardware go down last week (that's why we didn't do the client patch on Thursday) which forced us to delay the Origin publish until Monday. We would have been happier with a week on Origin, but we didn't want to delay the publish yet another week for it.
That doesn't even make sense.

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you miss the questions about disarmable spellbooks Jeremy?

I would really love an explanation as my lrc scrappers is now about as much good as a boomstick... :coco:

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it in fact mean we lose our spellbooks? Has someone tried this? I can't test it atm.

Why in the world is a programmer focusing on this when there are a billion other "busted" things to work on? Did one of the new trainees find a "bug" and thus went ahead and "fixed" it? If this is the case.... can someone tell us players the truth? It doesn't make a huge diff anyway, although I prefer to leave it as it was.

Can we now disarm Evil Mages? Demons? Titans? Do we get any other goodies since disarm has been tweaked?
If not, then why bother???? :coco:

A

AesSedai

We did get one. Several in fact.
- Yeah, I meant like on the patch update screen and such.
I did notice it was mentioned in the FoF last Friday (and that answer makes me think I had it mixed up & that we were told we would have advanced warning before the reward box goes away). And I seem to remember it being mentioned here on Stratics also. But I was talking about for that other percentage of players that don't frequent uo.com or Stratics.

No worries, I finished up my spring cleaning on time.
The hardest part for me was trying to decide what to do with the heritage tokes; so I kept about 45.

C

cheerful

I expected the 'fair warning' was the fact that i'd have at least 5 days after it went to Origin, silly me.

R

RoycroftLS

That doesn't even make sense.
I'm glad I'm not the only one scratching my head over that.

We are repeatedly told that release dates aren't announced ahead of time, and not to expect content on any given date because issues sometimes arise. Then when an issue arises that would give a perfectly legitmate reason to push back the release date (because of insufficient bug testing), they just say "heck with it" and release it anyway?

It had already been two months since publish 54, what's an extra week to ensure that the easily noticeable bugs (like the guard zone snafu) won't get released to all production shards?

L

Lord Kynd

ok,
this is 'buyable' once and a while, but this has been happening everytime.
Origin was used like it was designed for what.. 2 publishes ? now all of a sudden it is a shard like any other shard.

transfers should not have been allowed , at least from there to any other shard. that woulda helped secure it as it was ment to be.

J

Jeremy

There's only so far we can push back the live date without squeezing us further down the road. It's not anyone's favorite situation, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
since when do spellbooks do physical damage ?
we just hold them, we don't actually use them to fight with other than reading spells.. which a true mage wouldn't need a book once they learned the spell.
But they do have mods on them correct? Slayers FC FCR LMC SDI ect ect.. So I believe they were trying to balance out pvp more and make mages have the same penatlys as a dexxer when they are disarmed. I play a mage and love this change *Claps* Balance is great

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's only so far we can push back the live date without squeezing us further down the road. It's not anyone's favorite situation, but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Jeremy what can we look forward to for RoT changes in the near future for Siege Perilous, This was a minor tweak to keep people happy... Are we going to ever get the major RoT change we have been waiting for to help build the Siege community?

Also we have a poll going on the Siege Perilous forums about the 2nd character slots with peoples responses on it. Go check it out please and give us some feed back.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the faster they push anything out the better in my book - stop whining about small errors or they'll never do anything - geez

it's almost like half the posters on the uhall work for a competing game company or something and get paid to complain about anything possible just to put UO out of business

there was practically nothing wrong with this publish - talk about making a mountain out of a molehill (they're fixing the guards thing at server down - that's quick enough in my book)

R

RoycroftLS

there was practically nothing wrong with this publish - talk about making a mountain out of a molehill (they're fixing the guards thing at server down - that's quick enough in my book)
Just because a bug that was missed by the devs (but easily catchable on a test server) wasn't game breaking this time doesn't mean that it's okay for the devs to get complacent about bug testing.

Back from my college coding days, one of my professors told me this general rule about product design:
Given the 3 variables "programming time required", "project expenses", and "number of bugs", trying to lower one of the three will cause the other two to rise.

I understand that there are deadlines to meet and a budget to follow, but when both become restrictive the only recourse is for the quality of the game to decrease. That's not something I want to see for a game that I enjoy playing.