• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Lawlessness in Luna!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gathering at the lawn outside the bank of Luna to celebrate Lord Riel's birthday we were surprised by a band of roaming chaos dragoons, lich and ancient lich. Gathering our forces they were pushed outside the east gate of the city, where there was discovered this scroll......

One can only assume, after a cryptic "see you tomorrow" and an evil grin from EM Helios that tonight's encounter was merely the scouts. Ready yourselves, Legends, there is a battle to be won.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to say, the EM events look like they are doing much better than I ever expected. If it wasn't for the fact that I reactivated a couple months ago for one month and only logged in maybe three times, I would try and make a comeback.

::tips her hat to Helios::

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I knew they would appear as soon as I gave up waiting :(

Maybe my formidable presense scared 'em off but their scouts' scouts were stealthing, so they attacked as soon as I left :) :danceb:

L

Lord Urza

What time did this happen? Must have been pretty late wasnt it

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
'twas well after my bedtime, Lord Urza ;) had it not been for all the excitement I surely would have nodded off

sometime after 9:30 est :) and Lita, you'll not be allowed to leave tonight!

L

Lord Urza

Hmm i see, i was expecting there would be a post on the stratics main page before anything went down in game. Least there pushing forward with the story sooner then i expected them to.

C

Caelas

Yeah some sort of heads up would have been nice, I had no clue any of this went down as I was in a mine all night. Probably will miss tonights little event as well because I have things to do elsewhere in the game. Sitting around Luna is bloody boring.

L

Lord Urza

lmao no doubt, sitting in luna in waiting is not an option! id fall asleep and wake up dead in the middle of an invasion.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(for those that are wondering just what is going on in Luna, here's why!)

Dawn of Hope

She kneeled in front of the wooden chest, gently brushing her fingers atop the aged mahogany. The corner of the house was quiet; her only company the tiny motes of dust spinning in gentle pirouettes down an errant shaft of light.

Pulling the old brass key from her skirt sent a glancing ray around the room to play across the ceiling. She gazed at it for a moment, remembering, and lowered it towards the chest. A sound, suddenly familiar, greeted her efforts with a soft click.

The chest began opening upwards, revealing the treasures she had placed within so long ago. In her mind the familiar refrain of an old song began: a song of strange places, of lost peoples, and of Stones.

The jewels and gold atop the velvet sparkled in the light returned, but her hands slipped beneath them, gently setting them aside. As the tales of her Lord and King awoke within her the humble tune carried on, rising in fervor. She lifted aside the smooth cloth, her fingers grazing against the cherished treasure beneath.

The door crashed inwards.

One hand had already ripped her armor from its resting place within the chest, the lid snapping closed, as the other leveled a sword towards the intruder before she realized this was no foe who had interrupted her impromptu reverie.

“We must go!”

She picked herself up, holding up the iron and oiled leather armor, shining despite the years. The man paused then, her determination, her calmness blunting his message. He realized what she held and turned around, suddenly modest, but spoke on.

“The madman let them loose on Luna,” he moved to make a spitting motion, and frustrated by the indoors, jerked his head to the side instead. “No place is safe, not even here.”

Dawn stepped beside him, cinching a band of leather across her waist, and strapping her sword to her hip.

“Then we ride for Luna.”

After the pair had left the old farmhouse a cloaked figure stepped from the shadows to regard the empty room. They never would have felt his presence, let alone seen him, and yet he had been there throughout. White hair with streaks of platinum spilled from beneath the hood as he pushed it back. He regarded the lonely chest, now emptied of its great charge.

“Such things should not be left to perish,” he mused, waving his hand, “When her work is done she will have need of you again.”

The chest vanished, and then so had he.

-Tim "Draconi" Cotten

(I spent a good deal of time last evening searching the lands of Yew for Dawn's home, never finding it. If anyone comes across this structure, please contact me, and thank you!)

C

Caelas

From Great Lakes News...

As I live in Yew, it did not take long to locate the column of dark smoke denoting a fire. I traveled to the western most point in Yew to find a lonely thatched roof cottage, flames licking hungrily at its sides. I attempted to douse the fires, but they seemed magical in origin and refused to be put out. The front door was securely locked, and from what I could see through the windows it appeared to be unoccupied.
Link

Also, it seems that at least on Great Lakes Luna will be attacked several times. Didn't this happen in Britain as well, hence the exodus of bank sitters to Luna? Go AFK in Luna at your own risk, people.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
aye, have noticed similar reports, yet my search uncovered nothing.... will make another attempt today :)

Lord Cuda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they head towards Brit I will be waiting :D *waves from roof of wbb*

Now I just need a sacrificial lamb I ummm mean a scout! Cru are you busy? :p I'll even supply the ale of your choice or maybe a good bottle of wine eh? ;)

C

Caelas

Found it.

Go to Yew, head directly west out of the center of town. There is a small piece of land that juts out, and there is a burning house there. Doesn't say it's Dawn's House, but it's identical to the one on GL. Also, the house is inaccessible.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
many thanks, Caelas ..... ran that whole coastline last nite, no idea how I missed that :blushing:

matter of fact, ran that whole coastline and ran the northern coastline, too!

(yep, just checked, name on house-sign is Dawn)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Late report from Luna!

More invaders were repelled at the city gates by the brave people of Legends. Wave after wave of the most vicious beasts from the depths of Sosarian dungeons struck only to be vanquished by our fine warriors.

During a lull a red scroll was noticed on the battlements over the city's east gate.

When it appeared that we had won the day a stranger appeared amongst us, a Royal Guard, I believe, tho I only caught a glimpse of him, and only heard a bit of what he was telling the crowd, altho I'm certain at one point he said that he would pay for information regarding the Lady Dawn's whereabouts.

Making it very clear that the attacks on Luna would persist until Lady Dawn surrendered herself, he took his leave.

Troubling times, dear friends. I remember following Dawn on a quest one night long ago, and I would do so again, in any battle, against any foe.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm, I guessed wrong about when this would take place ... ah well, looks like Luna can defend itself just fine without my meager hand :)

uh ... "Show or innocents die?" ... hang on a second ...

L

Lord Urza

Story wise GOOOOD EVENT!
Play wise BAAAAAD EVENT!
Maybe it was just me, but it was like having a really laggy event, in a really laggy city.
Most of the time I spent durin this event was gray screened, sluggishly chugging my way across the screen to the healer.

D

Derrick83

Story wise GOOOOD EVENT!
Play wise BAAAAAD EVENT!
Maybe it was just me, but it was like having a really laggy event, in a really laggy city.
Most of the time I spent durin this event was gray screened, sluggishly chugging my way across the screen to the healer.
Any event is laggy with 299483290 greater dragons on the screen.. it really is a bit stupid when 95% of the tram population plays the same temaplte... when that happens in PvP they nerf it...

L

Lord Urza

I agree with you, the event prolly would have lasted a few hours allso ( id imagine) maybe not iono really. would love to see an event like this ran with a much smaller % of people useing tamer templates. But luna is just a poor city for this type of event.
As much as I hated the event for ( IMO ) kinda making UO just SILLY in the sense that everyone packs into this sardine can of a city called "Luna" its a BOX a BOX!! WE ALL PACK IN A BOX! lol ok ok I got myself off track....I hated the brit invasion event ( only because it was the spark that really pushed everyone over to luna where they stayed) brit was the perfect city for this type of event, nice and open you could see very well and had plenty of room to move around and manuver, the spawn was stretched out as were to players, all of these factors made it a less laggy event, and more non tamer friendly.
I suppose perhaps since there was an EM there for a time delivering a message they felt the need to do it somewhere cramped where you would see them, and not miss it while ur on the other side of the city.
With would have been easy to do useing a message of screen like the server down warnings. saying something like ( You see a bright flash in the sky, it appears something is happening near the bank)
lol just an idea,

NOW GO SIT IN THAT BOX YOU CALL A CITY!! :coco:

C

Caelas

I think this would be a lot more interesting if cities to invade were chosen at random. You'd have to get co-ordination, communication, and swift transportation set up to defend the homeland. What city is next? Luna, Britian, Vesper, Cove? A large group of bad guys laying siege to Lord British's castle via the sewers? The options are endless. To have the event during peak hours in a lagfest city like Luna...sounds like to me this is a cover for stress testing the client / server communication. How many dynamic objects can we smoosh into one horribly laggy area to begin with until we start to see communication issues? *geeky conspiracy mode off*

As far as the tamer templates...yeah it's getting really annoying to see a ****-ton of dragons all over the place. In most other games, the developers would look at the most common PvM player templates community wide, figure out why there is a whole mess of people using the same thing, and tone it down a bit while maybe boosting the templates that aren't getting much love. It's called balance :)

Unless of course they want the game to be UO - Tamer Edition.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well after spending the time they did to train up taming and lore, I don't think its necessarily fair to nerf them. There's been times when archers were considered too strong, and they got nerfed out of existence for quite a time. No use making that happen to tamers.

And Luna has room to spread out, why it all happens at one entrance, I don't know. Was interesting last night to see Balrons and such inside the inner wall, which were quickly dispatched by either the banksitters calling guards or valiant fighters.

If I could make 2 quick suggestions (same one I always make) it would be, during these events and times:

1. Turn off the guards...period. Let the afk'ers and banksitters die..or move back to Brit

2. Fix it where mages aren't seeing YOU CANNOT CAST THAT SPELL.....FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!! Always, it seems, town invasions, wars, whatever, and for the first weeks of it we only have half a spellbook to use.

Anyway, for the Trammel ruleset, doing away with the no field no summon rule should be done period. I remember guildwars where one had east Brit, the other West, and the goal was to conquer and hold both. No summons available to us, No bridge fielding, nothing. that piece of code should be tossed in the trash, period.
But I digress.

Liking the event. Liking the storyline. Liking the fact that they are giving us something, and that (so we are told) our participation will make a difference in the outcome of the story.

Do wish that they would bring back, on some scale, Order/Chaos, call it what you want, where one side is Casca's backers, the other, the Casca distrusters...just two huge alliances enabling some rp pvp during these times. And let Casca be attackable, just beef up his hitpoints like they did Jou'Nar, back in the day ;)

The only thing that doesn't impress me so far, is the one hit kills some mobs can do...
I don't mind the dieing, I got a bank full of insurance monies, lol, it's just not fun when you cannot strategically fight and heal and joust and use your wits to conquer an enemy cause he casts one spell and its over. *shrugs*

But that's just me.

A

Annienox

Well I know everyone that was in vent with us was dying, crashing and laughing their heads off having a good time. A little chaos now and then is good for everyone. I will remind everyone that after last nights suprise crimson dragon appearance, that he can turn your dragons wild!! I saved one pic for my husband (who is away on work and called me during the madness) that I guess I will share with everyone here. Ok I am off to restock insurance money in my bank. :D

A

Annienox

DOH! Pic problems! Sorry guess I won't be sharing. Anyway, we all had fun and have been enjoying all the events that the EM's have been giving us.

L

Lord Urza

[/quote]
The only thing that doesn't impress me so far, is the one hit kills some mobs can do...
I don't mind the dieing, I got a bank full of insurance monies, lol, it's just not fun when you cannot strategically fight and heal and joust and use your wits to conquer an enemy cause he casts one spell and its over. *shrugs*

But that's just me [/quote]

I agree whole heartedly, several times I just died, from full hit points to dead, no chance to heal, move ANYTHING
just dead

Maybe if only for the events, these mobs with one hit kill abilitys could have a restriction on them where they can only possibly take you to 1hp, with a time delay for the mob, for one of them doesnt wipe you to 1hp, as another uses the same ability killing everyone who got hit by the first.
But even without the time delay the restriction of only being able to drop you to 1HP with the devistating area attacks would be at least a chance to get a heal off or something.
( just an idea dont drag me out in the street and shoot me if it isnt a good one)

Damia TMC

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did well tonight, at work, on a laptop with a bad connection and had some lag but nothing terrible, and it's fun seeing Luna invaded.

Lady Sunlaira from our guild put together a little contest, the person who died the most tonight got a prize, a cloak of death and some insurance gold. The person who died the least got a cloak of life. Tarzan won the most deaths with 13 death robes to her name. (I had 10) and Marie had the least with 2 deaths.

Each night the invasions get more and more challenging, it's a lot of fun. Make sure you have insurance gold, with so many bodies you can't always find yours, then just go in and get your feet bloody. Kuddo's to our EM's Tashik and Helios for keeping wave after wave of spawn going with very little break. They are doing such a great job we're very lucky to have them on our shard. I doubt other shards have such dedicated EM's. :)

little hint..... an all names macro is your friend :)

Lord Cuda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An Invasion at nite only? These things punching a clock or sleeping during the day ? I did see a "Finch" sitting on the corner of Thunder's house the looked kind of scary. Oh well back to brit to guard the bank. No finches will take that bank! ;)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL

Yeah, we need to start this before bedtime!! Some peeps have to get up at 4am and get to work :p
Along the lines of 7pm would work nicely...;)

L

Lord Urza

Iv seen some people saying it is that late to accommodate west coast players...but this is an east coast shard. 7pm 8pm would be perfect in my opinion, I dont have to get up till 7am, but around 10-11 im getting tired and not looking to start fighting an invasion, but i will....prolly not tonight however, MTG tournament tonight.:danceb:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well west coast players shouldn't have a problem with Legends timing, since it would only be about 6pm there :)
This isn't a knock on our EMs tho, there have been plenty of other events too, where I just get about halfway done, and call it a night due to the hour.
Maybe a poll? To see what the majority wants.
I certainly don't expect to see it changed to suit me, I'm neither that arrogant nor self-absorbed. And besides, somebody wouldnt like it no matter when it started anyway.
*points down to sig*

:p

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a majority vote is always a good idea, which is just the problem with Statics board polls... it doesn't offer the opportunity for everyone that plays to lend their thoughts since they don't frequent the boards

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The battle for Luna rages on, Vyal, with the valiant Candrin Devar leading our tired forces against numerous and fierce foes.

The streets of the great city are littered with corpses, yet our warriors heal themselves and continue to fight these invaders.

Some evil magic is also being used against us, as seen in this drawing..... a transformed rune beetle had become something called a Venomous Beetle and took down a greater dragon named Saphira, tho she put up a grand fight and managed to hold him at the gate until aid arrived.

V

Vyal

Stuck in a dang Luna shack of all the places in Luna you don't ever want to go into and I was stuck there :danceb::danceb::danceb:

L

Lord Urza

I was stuck there with you, and i would have to say.....at that moment it was the best place in luna to be haha quite a show from inside that home.....great res shack, sunday night the final night of the invasions you will be able to find me here posted up inside doing res heals 4 anyone...so sunday if you need a res heal ill be there waiting to put you back in your body dust you off and send you back out to bash and smash and kill and stomp and clobber and well i gusse you get the idea...:next:

L

Lord Urza

We won a hard fight tonight. I hope someone got some screen shots.
And i think a special acknowledgment need to be given to all those vendors who stood strong threw it all, never leaving there posts loyally pushing there over priced luna shwag

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow ... just wow ... Dawn and her platinum companion have the patience and forgiveness of saints :)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The battle for Luna, and for loyalties, seems to have come to an end here on Legends. Lord Casca appeared, on his swamp colored horse, at the east gate declaring the fair Lady Dawn an outlaw and promising to have her "brought to justice" along with any that supported her.

Lady Dawn then appeared and a heated discussion ensued with Casca finally saying that he would prevail and show Lady Dawn for the usurper she is, at which point he called upon his minions and fled the scene!

The battle that ensued lasted long into the night with many of Legends finest falling at the feet of shadow wyrms, chaos dragoons, night-cloaked paragons and eventually manifestations of the Shadow Lords themselves. Thru it all the valiant Lady Dawn led the way, urging all to hold tight their ground. At times there appeared beside her a warrior named Fayaxion, fighting as gallantly as the Lady Dawn. The deaths of many of our wise, tame dragons pulled at his heart and he revealed himself as none other than a Platinum Dragon, entering the fight in his true form to aid his bretheren.

The fighting slowly died down, people and pets began to heal, and the Great Dragon congratulated us all, pride in his voice.

Lady Dawn and Fayaxion urged all warriors to travel to Castle British. Once there, Lady Dawn again expressed her thanks in helping to defeat Lord Casca's vile hordes, vowing that he would be found and dealt with. Dawn and Fayaxion then began to award Cloaks of Silence to the mighty warriors of Legends, to mark the occassion of Lord Casca's resounding defeat.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heroism deserves Reward, but the ritual known as "The Handing Out of Cloaks" was an unbearablly long-g-g-g ::: well, not that unbearble - nor that long - may I hastily add, after glancing down at the nifty new cloak I am sporting :::

Our very own Clan tailor, Black Rose, was kibutzing with the Royal Seamstress this morn and found out why. Seems the True Heroes of the long and deadly struggle were the oft maligned Greater Dragons ::: wisely I kept mine stabled, took to long to train to have him die a dozen times ::: . Therefore, Lady Dawn hurriedly summoned Luna's Finest - eh, the Thimble Reaction Team. Herocially they re-sewed countless cloaks to fit these saurian warriors' more, hmph, "generous" physiques :thumbsup: Good for the Valiant pets, but the downside is that only about 50 or so alts got additional cloaks last night :(

Whenever treading about Luna's thoroughfares window shopping ::: of course, just window shopping, for who can afford Luna prices??? ::: beawre that at any moment a road apple - nay, a road Watermelon! - could PLOP down at any moment and ruin your day ::: not to mention your finery and armor! ::: But for those with quick reaction ::: 150 DEX :( ::: the Stealthing GD will herald the forthcoming bowel movement with and enormous displacement of air ::: which in itself is life threatening and may call for a Poison Resist check! ::: and may sweep you off your feet , much like the the Spellweaver's Wind spell!

PS> No PVPers - dont flame - GD's won't be able to wear their new finery in Fel :)

Lord Cuda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heroism deserves Reward, but the ritual known as "The Handing Out of Cloaks" was an unbearablly long-g-g-g ::: well, not that unbearble - nor that long - may I hastily add, after glancing down at the nifty new cloak I am sporting :::

Our very own Clan tailor, Black Rose, was kibutzing with the Royal Seamstress this morn and found out why. Seems the True Heroes of the long and deadly struggle were the oft maligned Greater Dragons ::: wisely I kept mine stabled, took to long to train to have him die a dozen times ::: . Therefore, Lady Dawn hurriedly summoned Luna's Finest - eh, the Thimble Reaction Team. Herocially they re-sewed countless cloaks to fit these saurian warriors' more, hmph, "generous" physiques :thumbsup: Good for the Valiant pets, but the downside is that only about 50 or so alts got additional cloaks last night :(

Whenever treading about Luna's thoroughfares window shopping ::: of course, just window shopping, for who can afford Luna prices??? ::: beawre that at any moment a road apple - nay, a road Watermelon! - could PLOP down at any moment and ruin your day ::: not to mention your finery and armor! ::: But for those with quick reaction ::: 150 DEX :( ::: the Stealthing GD will herald the forthcoming bowel movement with and enormous displacement of air ::: which in itself is life threatening and may call for a Poison Resist check! ::: and may sweep you off your feet , much like the the Spellweaver's Wind spell!

PS> No PVPers - dont flame - GD's won't be able to wear their new finery in Fel :)
NO MORE SHROOM CAVE LUNCHES FOR YOU! :p

C

Caelas

The final battle was the only one I attended, and to be honest, I'm glad about that. Had I attended one of the other battles and had the same lag and disconnect issues that I did for the final fight...wow.

That being said, it was good fun, and a good learning experience for using the SA client. (Legacy Targeting is BAD in a large group!)

DGgnome

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, the other Battles for Luna were quite lag free, this last one was way more populated.