• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Lady Taryn Sullivan Speaks At Clainin's Memorial Service

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lady Taryn Sullivan was among those who gathered at the memorial service for the fallen Archmage Clainin held at Castle British on Friday, April 10.

King Casca began the memorial service with the following speech:

“Greetings, citizens of Britannia. Our good friend Clainin passed on and gave up his ghost. And we will miss him forever.

On this Good Friday, we gather in memory and honor of this good man. More than a good man, Archmage Clainin was a great servant to this land. A man whose magical prowess was surpassed only by his ability to bring peace and prosperity to all he encountered.

My friends, my sadness runs deeply as I’m sure yours does. Your efforts to protect Clainin were valiant and fierce, as were mine. I did all within my power to shield Clainin from the evil forces of the Shadowlords. Our efforts were not enough. Still, Clainin’s legacy leaves a foundation fit to build upon. Ask not how did he die, but how did he live? To share some of this rich history, I present you Taryn Sullivan.”

“It is with a heavy heart that I come here. I remember as just a small girl sitting quietly in a corner by the fire as my tutor Donal visited with Clainin on many a cold evening. For those of you not fortunate enough to know the history of this great, kind man, I’d like to share with you some of his history as research from his own records and journals and as told to me by my old tutor Donal.

Clainin was chosen by none other that the Great Nystul himself to be his apprentice. In this role he assisted with the building of the detector near the barracks within the grounds here designed to aid in the defeat of Minax. Nystul left to travel the stars with our King … leaving Clainin and Dupre to rally the people of Britannia. It was at this time Clainin joined the Royal Council, serving it loyally and well all the rest of his days. In this role he forged the first Alliance. It was also around that time that the Commander of the Royal Guard was tragically poisoned, leaving Clainin to himself to lead the Guards in search of a cure. In defense of Britain he built a magical barrier at a dark time when Yew and Cove were already over-run by orcs and their kin. Unfortunately, this was sabotaged by an agent of Belo Ondarvia. It was at this time Clainin was instrumental in the unmasking of Ramuz the Shadowlord, and again led the Royal Guard, this time in Tokuno to meet with Inu the Crone.

Inu and Clainin were in regular correspondence. It is with regret she must send her apologies.” Lady Taryn Sullivan removed a note from the pocket of her skirt, and began to read: “She writes: “Clainin was a brilliant man. He was at once open minded, kind, respectful and sensitive to the differences in our cultures. He will be missed by myself and the Empress. The meer have also sent their condolences from Ilshenar, as have the gargoyles of Ver Lor Reg.”

After carefully refolding the note and placing it back into her pocket, Lady Taryn continued with her eulogy: “It was during the Blackrock explosion of Haven that Clainin entered the coma that all here will remember. A long decade it was without him to guide the Council. Events since his recent awakening have moved quickly. And the dark days we now find ourselves in have descended more quickly than we could have imagined. It was Minax’s faithful who slew him, finally receiving the revenge they had so longed for.”

Frowning slightly, she continued: “However, it was not at their instigation this occurred,” her voice raising to a near shout, “but at the bidding of Melissa, Shadowlord and Servant of Nosfentor! There can be no doubt that both factions did receive their revenge for past slights. Even if not by their own hands, make no mistake who was behind this treacherous action!”

Lady Taryn took a moment to regain her composure before continuing. “I am but a girl, raised by monks, and confused and saddened by all that has happened of late in our lands. My only prayer is that we never forget all that Clainin taught us and may we seek to live our lives in such a way that always honors his love of our lands.”

Lady Taryn bowed her head then spoke in a soft voice: “May truth guide his steps into the next life … May the Courage that never failed him in Life, continue to aid him on his Journey, and may our Love of this hero of Britannia carry him safely home. May his ashes that are spread in Trinsic bring Honor to the City of Paladins through Memory of his deeds in the name of Britannia. Finally, let the loyalty he showed to Britannia, our Home, forever live in your hearts.”

King Casca stepped forward, thanked Lady Taryn, and turned to address the crowd: “My friends, now we see through a glass darkly, our mortal selves require closure, a return to the ashes from which we came. To this end, a memorial has been constructed in memory of Archmage Clainin. But do not weep at Clainin’s grave, for he is not there. His tragic end left not even a hint of a ghost, but his spirit of cooperation and good will remains. To Clainin — May his heart of gold inspire us always.”

With head bowed, King Casca continued: ‘Nature’s first green is gold, her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf’s a flower; but only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf. So Eden sank to grief, so dawn goes to down to day. Nothing gold can stay.”

Pausing for a moment of silence, King Casca spoke the words, “Ashes to ashes, dust to dust …”, as he led the mourners to the Memorial that has been placed in the castle garden, so that each could pay their respects to the great Archmage Clainin.