• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] EM Mini-Event Saturday April 18th, at 7:30 p.m. EST

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This evening I was making my rounds to see if there was any new news when I stopped by the EM Hall only to find a new shield placed announcing an future event and a book laid on top of it. This looks to be an Mini-Event this coming Saturday April 18th, at 7:30 p.m. EST and if the book is a clue it involves Lord Owain Surrey.

Here is the tale written in the book.

For those of you who are not sure who Owain Surrey is here is his back story (Owain is the RP Character EM Kasaven uses for events.):

Owain came into being roughly around the same time as Lord British, and thus has been in the land of Britannia for around 57 years. However, unlike Lord British, Owain was behind the scenes for the majority of his tenure. He hailed from a distant land, but came to Britannia to serve with Lord British. He was on British's council in every one of his tenures as king, but was never revealed to the people, for he had a secret service that he performed. Not only was he on the council to advise Lord British, but he was an his Royal Augur, a soothsayer.

His visions came to him in dreams, and he used those visions to advise Lord British in matters of war, monetary decisions, and foreign policy. He was British's right hand man, only remaining behind the scenes for purposes of safety; he could not be risked to British's enemies.

Then, as Lord British left Britannia for a time, Lord Blackthorne came to power as regent of Britannia. Owain, still wishing to support the regent and the land, remained on the council and remained the Royal Augur to Lord Blackthorne. For quite some time, Lord Blackthorne ruled a prosperous society, and Owain Surrey stood by his side, advising him behind closed doors.

In time Owain Surrey was not the only advisor whispering words in the ears of Lord Blackthorne. Three black robed men began accompanying Lord Blackthorne; his ears no longer listened to the soothsaying of Owain. If Owain would press them to allow him access to Blackthorne they would beleaguer him, refusing him influence upon the regent. They spoke to Lord Blackthorne of great treason unto the throne; they spoke of the evil intentions of the people of Britannia, and of his own council members' appetence for power and their plots to take the throne for themselves.

Thus Lord Blackthorne began his gradual descent into darkness. Owain, seeing this, knew he must act soon lest Blackthorne be lost for eternity. After the black robes left at dusk upon a task most rancorous and malicious in nature (Owain could see this just from the looks in their eyes), Owain burst into Lord Blackthorne's throne room to tell him a of a vision that came to him as he lay sleeping in a cold sweat, concerning the evil of these dark three, these robed aberrations.

As he ascended towards the throne, he raised his eyes toward Lord Blackthorne and stopped abruptly. As he gazed upon his great lord, he saw the transformation that had taken place since their last council. His skin was jaundiced, covered in chancres; his skin sagged and his eyes looked ill, yet his mouth was curved in an ominous grin.

"My Lord, what has become of you?" Owain said, eyes wide and full of pain.

Blackthorne looked back at Owain, and burst into laughter. "I am better, Owain, I now see the truth!"

"My Lord, you are ill, let me take you to the healers," Owain's mouth stood agape "let me undo this evil that has been done unto you!"

"Do not touch me, traitor!" Blackthorne spat, "Guards, cast this man out my kingdom for he is an outlaw, never to return!"

Owain teleported to and fro, avoiding the guard's snares, leaving spurts of lightning trailing in his wake. Yet he was outnumbered, and soon the room was filled with royal guards. Despite his struggles he was knocked unconscious and dragged from the hall.
While this affront to Owain was great, and he was never able to return to Britannia under Blackthorne's rule, it was not the worst he faced in the coming days. A former council member and good friend Kasaven sought him out to give him the more dire news.

After Owain was outcast, Lord Blackthorne sought out Owain's family, his wife and child. Kasaven spoke with much gravitas and pain as he told Owain what had happened. Owain's family was taken from his home in the dead of night and put upon the block. At the stroke of midnight, his wife and his daughter, only five years old, were beheaded as a warning to any others who would bring treason to the crown. If you spoke out against these three, who later became known as the Shadow Lords, or the crown, your pain would be catastrophic.

Hearing this, Owain let out a paroxysm of rage, his fists banged against the earth with such force that he could have shattered its very fabric with his lamenting. A moment later he stood, and his eyes met with Kasaven's. He motioned his palms forward and produced a forge and hammer where before nothing stood. He gripped the hammer so tightly that his palms turned white and his eyes grew red with fury.

For three days he stood before the forge, pounding upon iron with such force that the clang could be heard for miles. He poured his sorrow, suffering, and seething hatred for the Shadow Lords into his creation. On midnight of the third day he gripped the hilt of the sword he had crafted and rotated his wrists, twirling it in front of it. He entitled it "Retribution", for with it he planned to take the heads of each Shadow Lord who stole away his kingdom, his family, and his life.

The Shadow Lords, knowing his intent to visit vengeance upon them, waited until Owain's exhaustion finally turned into slumber. Knowing his gift of prescience, the Shadow Lords waited until he dreamed. Using their theurgy, they brought an imprecation upon him that corrupted his dreams. From then forth, Owain's dreams were at times entirely false, the polar opposite, just as often as they came to fruition as truth.

This became just another reason for Owain to make an oath to himself and his slain family to bring the Shadow Lords to justice.