• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Austin Town Hall News

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Austin Town Hall News
Jeremy Dalberg
10 Sep 2008 15:04:42

Due to Hurricane Ike and the potential for severe weather and flooding in Austin this weekend, there is a possibility we will need to cancel the Town Hall in order to ensure the safety of our players and developers. We will be watching the weather situation and should have a final determination by 3:00PM EDT tomorrow.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*chuckles* Hurricanes seldom hit Austin... But Austin might be a busy place with rescue and refugee efforts.

J

Jeremy

Heh, that was my reaction too, Kelmo, but we're going to go ahead and call it off. It's just not safe to try to fly people in with the forecast looking like this.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I totaly understand and agree with the call. Austin will be very busy.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Even as far North as Amarillo will be affected. We prepare for emergency services and refuges every time.

K

Kazar

I was kind of expecting this after watching the weather this morning. Good call.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so, since you're cancelling this one you should do a really big'n in Austin in ... oh, say around April? when I'll be there??? :D

K

kennykilleduo

Heh, that was my reaction too, Kelmo, but we're going to go ahead and call it off. It's just not safe to try to fly people in with the forecast looking like this.

Extra , Extra special Five on Friday this week , maybe ?? :)

Be safe....

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even as far North as Amarillo will be affected. We prepare for emergency services and refuges every time.

one of the predict tracks in the "cone of probability" shows the hurricane going right up the I-27 corridor.kinda funny taking it that we are like 800 miles from the coast. but then again we are getting a bunch of rain tommorow from a tropical storm in the pacific. go figure.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*chuckles* Hurricanes seldom hit Austin... But Austin might be a busy place with rescue and refugee efforts.

I dont think you can hide out in Austin's stadium at least the super dome had a roof

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I dont think you can hide out in Austin's stadium at least the super dome had a roof

Texas is ready and willing to help in anyway possible. Even if it hits us.

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
one of the predict tracks in the "cone of probability" shows the hurricane going right up the I-27 corridor.kinda funny taking it that we are like 800 miles from the coast. but then again we are getting a bunch of rain tommorow from a tropical storm in the pacific. go figure.
They should move the townhall up north here even if it's gonna rain! - a little rain never hurt anyone ;)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
They should move the townhall up north here even if it's gonna rain! - a little rain never hurt anyone ;)
They could come to Amarillo! We are ready! We could do the town hall in my back yard! I would provide food and beer. I owe some Dev a beer or 10...

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They could come to Amarillo! We are ready! We could do the town hall in my back yard! I would provide food and beer. I owe some Dev a beer or 10...
Free food and beer, I am there! I live in Houston are you a certified refugee center for my tax purposes?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Jeremy, since WRR is gonna be there anyway, any chance those devs that still live in the area can swing by D&B?

S

Sebrina

Well, I evacuated Houston during Katrina, and came to the Austin area. Ike has a cloud and wind range much larger than Kat did and all the traffic that is going to happen with evacuation from the coast along with rain is going to make for a messy situation in Austin this time.

I'll be there, but everyone that does show for the impromptu Town Hall "Hate's Ike Party" best bring an unbrella.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be there, but everyone that does show for the impromptu Town Hall "Hate's Ike Party" best bring an unbrella.

Wish I could be there,I always love a good hurricane party.heck the last huricane parrty I went to was andrew in 92 at homestead AFB.

But eah it is a wise decision to cancle the meeting due to the huricane,I got a feeling it will be a bad one for the coast and even bad (as in lots and lots of rain) for the people of austin,althought it wouldn't break my heart one bit though if old beevo met an untimely demise with a "flash" flood. hehe

T

The Sandman

Sadly...............we here at Whispering Rose Radio are going to back out and not go to Texas this weekend. crys(my staff said I'm crazy for thinking I can go there with :gun: "Ike" coming to Texas

I think :bowdown: EA should do a special event in Austin this Spring and bring in like 50 to 100+ computers on a Friday night and run events till Sunday after noon that people can play in. Plus have speakers and workshops all weekend. This could be the 1st Ea Mythic convention ( EAMcon ) not only Ultima Online but all their online games...just a brain-storm and being mad at :gun: "Ike"

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly...............we here at Whispering Rose Radio are going to back out and not go to Texas this weekend. crys(my staff said I'm crazy for thinking I can go there with :gun: "Ike" coming to Texas
Good decision. Better to be safe. And go to Austin another time.

I think :bowdown: EA should do a special event in Austin this Spring and bring in like 50 to 100+ computers on a Friday night and run events till Sunday after noon that people can play in. Plus have speakers and workshops all weekend. This could be the 1st Ea Mythic convention ( EAMcon ) not only Ultima Online but all their online games...just a brain-storm and being mad at :gun: "Ike"
Ditto! :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sandman, you might want to edit your other post on the subject.

And, I think the idea of setting up an event with a few dozen machines is a GREAT idea - but for a completely different reason.

A lot of times, the devs don't realize the magnitude of a problem unless they are actually SHOWN it. A bug in progress, on a screen in front of them, is worth a thousand bug reports. For example, it is very likely at the (2004?) Gen Con Indy EA booth, it was my showing Vex and several others the REALLY weird crap going on at Haven, live, in person, at the UO demo computers, that led to a more in-depth looking at those issues, which eventually lead to the destruction of Haven in order to delete the offending parts of the code completely and replace them with bug-free code (the worst areas were in that newbie training area, starting outside the guard house).

If we could have an extra-long LAN party (linked into the net) as an adjunct to a town hall, we could show the devs any number of bugs that they can't seem to replicate, directly (heck, many people would bring their laptops, so all the EAM people would have to do is bring a few extra machines, and supply the network & link to the net). This would probably work even better if they did it as an extra event, in EAM's home area, if not their facilities (after all, things were done at Redwood, before the move).

C

Connor_Graham

Nope. They'll all be coming to Dallas, and not a one of them will know how to drive.... :D

S

Sebrina

Well, since no Town-Hall or Hurrican Party, I'm going to go volunteer for the Evacuation Centers this weekend.

A

Aboo

I had to miss last year's because it was held when my youngest grandson was born. I was going to have to miss this year's because my granddaughter's first soccer game was going to be that day (it will probably be cancelled because of the weather too). Soooooooo . . . hopefully they will reschedule at a time I can come down for it!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
One of my sister smoved to Dallas years ago and she jokingly told another sister that in Dallas when you buy a car turn signals are an option.

*chuckles*

D

Devil_Woman

One of my sister smoved to Dallas years ago and she jokingly told another sister that in Dallas when you buy a car turn signals are an option.
You forgot the other part. Her husband is originally from Alabama (where they live now) and was always complaining about drivers in Oklahoma while they were here. She said he quit complaining about Okie drivers shortly after moving to the DFW area. :hahaha:

T

The Sandman

Well I hope the the EAM team will do something special in Austin, Texas early next year....and the idea of having a huge network set up so people can hook into the internet for a huge LAN party would be fun and a added enjoyment for the Town Hall.

come on everone ............. start chanting EAMcon........EAMcon........EAMcon........EAMcon........EAMcon........

(they need to name some monster in Ultima Online "Ike"....I think there are a lot of us that would like to go and kill it several times!!! hahahah)