• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] [NEWS] Auction Night at the 2010 Fall Rares Festival (Catskills)

Kimberly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Auction Night at the 2010 Fall Rares Festival (Catskills)

The word "breathtaking" seems the most appropriate way to describe the holding room, which housed all of the items that were to be put up for auction. Part of the decor included a white lava waterfall, which cascaded over an enormous pile of skulls. Despite the macabre nature of the display, it had a strangely serene feel to it.

Within minutes, the auction house was packed.

The first excitement of the evening came when an impromptu bidding war broke out between Raja Deah and Ursula over a "Cave Dweller Fur Robe". The price climbed higher and higher as we, the onlookers, could only guess as to what their personal motivations were. Being only one of four robes given out during a Season 7 event on Lake Superior certainly explained the rarity of it but these two were relentless in their pursuit. Finally, after it reached a staggering 300 million gold, Ursula graciously bowed out.

After the auction. Raja was kind enough to invite me to his museum so I could take a picture of the robe, which was already displayed. His explanation for why he had to have this particular robe was surprisingly touching. It seems he went by the name "Cave Dweller" on the forum where he met his wife.

The only other item to reach 300 million was "I Out Ran Mesanna And I Lived To Tell About It".

The most expensive lot listed, which had a record opening bid of 800 million, was a complete set of Oceania Orienteering robes. Unfortunately, there were no bids on this impressive collection.

Hilarity ensued when our host, Lykor, somewhat bashfully displayed the last item up for auction...

Lykor: last item
Lykor: and also quite embarrassing
Lykor: BUT
Lykor: here goes
Lykor: a HTML brace
Lykor: and an almost disqualified item
Lykor: i'll let it speak for itself

Amber Witch said "I want to see how Kimberly reports this sale!!" to which I replied (while laughing) "Very carefully."

What can I say? I had no idea roosters wore jewelry.

The aforementioned item sold for a whopping 200 million.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kim, thanks so much for posting all this!

Usually I am pretty good at taking screenshots, but I just couldn't while running the auction.

I was apprehensive about the auction tonight and slightly nervous to hold a live one, but thanks to my friends that helped and the patience of the on-lookers, I think it went well.

Between 4-5 Billion sold, and several of the "no sales" have been offered on post auction :)

And yes, the last item was, well...... Interesting.

Here's hoping the last few days on Cats bring some nice rares to us all!!

F

Fraggles

Wonderful Reporting! that is just priceless!!. i was abit leery of this auction but well what can i say it was a blast and i could not have asked for more entertanment! Way to go Lykor and everyone else involved it was a fun filled evening!

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be honest... I fell asleep because it took so long to get started. Thanks for reporting it... wish I could have seen that rooster ring! Hehehe

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Congrats on being a complainer in more than one thread now... we were 15 minutes late dude, get over yourself....

Kimberly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kim, thanks so much for posting all this!

Usually I am pretty good at taking screenshots, but I just couldn't while running the auction.

I was apprehensive about the auction tonight and slightly nervous to hold a live one, but thanks to my friends that helped and the patience of the on-lookers, I think it went well.

Between 4-5 Billion sold, and several of the "no sales" have been offered on post auction :)

And yes, the last item was, well...... Interesting.

Here's hoping the last few days on Cats bring some nice rares to us all!!
My pleasure! Thank you for hosting the festival. I think you guys have done an amazing job already. =)

Kimberly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wonderful Reporting! that is just priceless!!. i was abit leery of this auction but well what can i say it was a blast and i could not have asked for more entertanment! Way to go Lykor and everyone else involved it was a fun filled evening!
Thank you! I had a wonderful time and look forward to the rest of the festival.

Kimberly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be honest... I fell asleep because it took so long to get started. Thanks for reporting it... wish I could have seen that rooster ring! Hehehe
It was a lot of fun. I'm sorry you missed it!

PM me if you would like an uncensored picture of the "ring".

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congrats on being a complainer in more than one thread now... we were 15 minutes late dude, get over yourself....
Whoa, you took this really personal.
As I live in Korea, this was quite early for me. I waited around for it for about thirty minutes, and then there was a wait for like another twenty or so minutes. I fell asleep because it took a while, people were asking questions and yet no one was answering because they were being spammed by ICQs, and for some reason when I didn't even say a word, I was banned from the house. I didn't do anything besides sit there. I fell asleep, I wish I would have stayed awake, but it did take quite some time to get the auction going. The fact that it ran on a basis of someone needed to pay before the next item was put up made things really drag on...
This had nothing personally pointed towards you, Lykor. I was saying that I erred because of a little set back. I'm sorry you were offended?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
As far as I know you were simply removed from the house, not banned, unless someone else targeted you before I did.
What happened was someone summoned a cu sidhe which landed on top of you and apparently both I and another staffer targeted it to remove it. One of us got the dog and the other got you.
I apologized at the time and I will do so here as welll. Removing you from the house was completely unintentional, and we made sure you didn't miss anything.