• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS ] Attention Archers! Best Shot In The Realm Returns, Saturday, February 7

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Best Shot in the Realm Returns!!

Theoran of the Society of Archers recently handed over the Best Shot In The Realm to the Misfits of Society with this message:​

They have my full blessing, and it would be wonderful to see the name "Best Shot in the Realm" and its tradition live on.
S|A greatly appreciates M!S asking us. We give them our full blessing and support, and they are welcome to use the name and anything we learned/used back in the day. I think it's great! Long live the BSR!
*raises bow*

In the tradition of Society of Archers, M!S will be hosting the BSR on Saturday, February 7th, 2009 at 7:30 p.m. PST (8:30 MST, 9:30 CST, 10:30 EST).

Gates to the new location of the BSR will be available in Luna before the event. Prizes will be awarded!! Come join the fun!!

The BSR will be held in a home currently being remodeled to house the event. M!S has been putting out runes to the location, and I will be posting a screenshot of the house once the remodeling is done.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aww but I want to now where it is!! :p

Glad to see the BSR up and running again. My archer will be ready!!

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always enjoyed BSR, but I especially dig the folks in Society of Archers. The BSR is such a great tradition on Baja (as well as other shards that have made it part of their tradition), and it's always an honor to attend. I'm cheering for the competitors, but I'm also secretly cheering to see how many sake shots I can sneak in whilst there with the spectators! OH-HO-HO-HO-HO!!! *clearing throat*

I've always enjoyed the Skara Brae Fairgrounds, and I give huge props to the people responsible in setting up the chairs, decorations, etc., for past BSR's. There were "Last Man Standing" matches there as well!

I'm not sure where the new area for the BSR will be, and to be honest, there's a part of me hoping that the tradition will continue on the Skara Brae Fairgrounds, but I'm also excited to see where it will end up. Theoran or any member of Society of Archers, if you're reading this, please take care, and I'll have a sake shot (or 69 sake shots) in your name(s) for much health, happiness, and prosperity!

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Britannians,

Not all members of the Society of Archers were consulted about this matter. Some are curious by what method Theoran provided his blessing and permissions. At least one member of S|A is seeking to contact Theoran or any current leadership and members to inquire further about this matter.

S|A and their traditions are almost as old as Britannia itself. The Best Shot in the Realm (BSR) has ever been an S|A Event held at the Skara Fairgrounds created on Baja specifically for the hosting of the BSR.

M!S may be well intentioned in their attempt to resume an Archery Tournament.

However, the Best Shot in the Realm Tournament shall ever be known to be true and original only when hosted by S|A or their member(s) and held at the Skara Brae Fairgrounds.

I thank M!S for hosting an event on Baja, but question their motives and sincerity by the manner by which things have been done and are being done.

This message is in NO way meant to disparrage M!S or any of its members.

It is merely passed on for a member of S|A with observations of an Ancient Sosarian.

Attempts to reach Theoran, Orion, and others, as well as the Guild Leader of M!S are ongoing.

Let us hope this dialogue results in a renewed Society of Archers, as well as the return of the true Best Shot in the Realm, very soon.

An Sos

A

Azure Mist

Hail Britannians,
Not all members of the Society of Archers were consulted about this matter. Some are curious by what method Theoran provided his blessing and permissions. At least one member of S|A is seeking to contact Theoran or any current leadership and members to inquire further about this matter.
The last BSR sponsored by S|A was February 8, 2008. Is not a year enough time to do inquiries, voice concerns, etc?

S|A and their traditions are almost as old as Britannia itself. The Best Shot in the Realm (BSR) has ever been an S|A Event held at the Skara Fairgrounds created on Baja specifically for the hosting of the BSR.

M!S may be well intentioned in their attempt to resume an Archery Tournament.

However, the Best Shot in the Realm Tournament shall ever be known to be true and original only when hosted by S|A or their member(s) and held at the Skara Brae Fairgrounds.

I thank M!S for hosting an event on Baja, but question their motives and sincerity by the manner by which things have been done and are being done.
I question your motives and sincerity. You say you are a member of S|A. What, if anything, have you done anything in the last year to ensure the BSR would continue in its original format?

This message is in NO way meant to disparrage M!S or any of its members.
Nor is it a thank you to M!S for putting forth the effort to revive one of Baja’s oldest traditions by contacting Theoran.

It is merely passed on for a member of S|A with observations of an Ancient Sosarian.

Attempts to reach Theoran, Orion, and others, as well as the Guild Leader of M!S are ongoing.
When did you begin your ongoing efforts to contact Theoran or other members regarding this matter? A year ago? Six months ago? Last week? As soon as you read this?

Let us hope this dialogue results in a renewed Society of Archers, as well as the return of the true Best Shot in the Realm, very soon.

An Sos
I commend M!S for taking the initiative to contact Theoran and other S|A founders regarding the BSR, which has been greatly missed this past year. To quote Theoran … Long live the BSR!

I

Ivan - MT

Skara's Fairgrounds is the BSR's true location and should remain so imo. Glad to see it returning though.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll agree with Ivan and An Sos on the point it should be held at the Skara Brae fields. Tis a tradition and a wonderful area that is already set up, and many would donate chairs.
But I also appreciate the fact that M!S has taken over the task of holding these grand tourney's once again. And it is indeed there call as to where it should be held.

As for An Sos response. I have to agree with Azure. No one has done anything in almost a year. Theoran gave his blessing and he as the founding father of S/A and the BSR has that right. He was contacted by someone interested in carrying on this grand tradition and decided to let them carry it on. Frankly any contesting should have been done long ago, if anyone else wanted to see it kept alive.

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been told the reason M!S decided upon a private house is for crowd control. Many of us who recently attended Casca's speech to Baja were dismayed at the all too familiar behavior exhibited by some.

UO is a dynamic world, always changing ... some changes for the good, some for the bad. This non-static state calls for adaptation.

I shall miss the Skara Brae Fairegrounds location, but I look forward to the thrill of the competition again!

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In Reply to Oriana,

More than a year ago, Theoran, founder of the Society of Archers had real life demands upon his time increased ( he married, and went to law school to become an attorney). Some of his remaining founders were still active and carried extra weight to continue Guild Hunts and the BSR.

In time it was decided S|A needed a Guild Leader with more time to spend in game. Lil Debi next shouldered that burden. Real life eventually intruded upon Lil Debi also. Orion, a long time member was next to accept the mantle of leadership. Others often offered help and assistance.

Placing no blame, for the leadership gave no details, Guild Hunts lessened and the BSR was given a rest. On the S|A's private Forum pages discussion ensued concerning S|A's future and the future of the BSR. Leadership and members reached no consensus and time passed. Some hoped that one day Theoran would return.

Orion and the remaining leadership fell silent. Membership dwindled. Though this was lamented at the time it was happening, as with all Guilds, the Leader and leadership retain rights of control and decision-making.

My questions are these:

By what method was Theoran contacted? I am all for trust, but like another great leader once said, I also say "Verify."

While we are told M!S expressed concern and interest in the BSR, some S|A members carry an equal if not greater burden and concern for the Society of Archers itself, as our Guild. Such members seek not only to see the BSR resume, but to see new leadership assume the burden and responsibility of not only rebuilding the Guild, but also the renewal of the BSR.

Some in S|A consider it inappropriate for word to supposedly come from Theoran, not from him to the members, but from M!S to the public. S|A members should never have to learn of such matters from a public forum posting.

How long S|A deals with such matters internally should be S|A's decision. I do not think it unreasonable for a matter of such importance to members of S|A to be verified.

Theoran or Orion should confirm these declarations to S|A's members, not as a fait acompli declared by M!S or by Oriana or Sara. Who spoke with Theoran? By what method? Was abandoning the Skara Fairgrounds also discussed and approved?

I believe these to be reasonable concerns and questions.

I continue to seek their answers.

An SoS

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am well aware what happened as I had a char in S/A as well , I remember a lot during that time of turmoil. Obviously you have not checked those boards for S/A in sometime as they are down and posting continued some place else. This word comes down from Theoran. Considering there are only 7 members left in S/A one of which is Theoran and another is you, which others, beside your self, are so concerned about the details. I stand with what I said. If you were truly that concerned you'd have known more and kept up with more details. It was announced on the S/A forums as to the relocation of the forums. I say you should have put your money where your mouth is and shown concern long before this.

*Disclaimer* This is my own opinion and in no way represents the opinion of Stratics.

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In reply to Oriana,

Do I detect a sharp tone in your words, or is that just my imagination???

I learned of all this yesterday. My best contact to S|A was on their Guild forum on Stratics. When Stratics servers went poof and got reworked my contact line to them was lost. No one bothered to inform me of their new web site (including you I add). I guess many members were expected to use telepathy or hope for divine intervention.

My memory isn't the best so I don't swear by its recollections. Am I correct your char exited S|A about the time Lil Deb did?

Regardless, my questions seem reasonable for someone who knows a member closely, a member who remained and sought repeatedly to lend aid and find answers from the revolving door of Leaders.

Theoran only brought it up on the link you provide about a week ago. You and others should have known that at least one current S|A member you know well would want to hear of this. I am disappointed by those who knew and chose to leave others in the dark.

If I misread your intended "tone" then please excuse my "sharpness" in this post. If I read your tone correctly, then my sharpness has been well earned.

I have called you friend for a very long time and hope to do so far into the future.

But don't snap at the misused and deliberately uninformed for being a bit miffed.

An SoS

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did indeed leave a short time after Debi, but as the guild was dwindling I had another offer and took it. That is of no never mind to this however.

It was posted on the Stratics guild forum of this other forum so how were we to know you had never been guided there. Yes this happened last week, and was very recent, however if something was wanted to be done then it should have been done already by those remaining. That is of course merely my opinion as I did state in my post. Frankly, it's not my job to update everyone save here on the forums, much less remember everyone and who is part of what guild. S/A is but a distant memory at times, even if good ones. The update that we got was posted here which is where Sara's and my own responsiblities end. I do update you as much as possible. I don't always have time to send out all information all the time. So yes I seemed bitter in my post as I felt you were attacking Sara and my integritty as reporters. I merely pointed out what was already said, and I've already repeated here... If something wanted to be done it should fall to Theoran to decide and not our jobs to prove to anyone but ourselves before we post.

C

catship

I got the OK from Theo by calling Moving Target,he posted on the web sit thay use
now, as i was in S|A for over 2 yrs and still have a member in S|A,
Hell, Me, MT and Popper ran the guild for over a yr, if you wish to see the Post i got from Theo, i will post it here to
Laz

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oriana,

I seriously doubt that it was the Ancient Sosarians intention to question your integrity as a reporter. Instead, the poor fellow was merely dismayed and confused by the announcement above; completely unawares that his guildmates had relocated their forums to another location. I am sure that he assumed they would've given him the heads up were they to move their forums. I know that I would be a little shocked. What am I? Chop liver?

*Chuckles* I think we would both be scratching our heads under the same set of circumstances.

Whether or not you agree with his stance regarding the location of the tournement; I think we can all agree that his hearts in the right place. The Best Shot in the Realms Tournement has always been located at the Skara Brae Faire Grounds. In fact, I was just on Chesapeake this last weekend. They had announced an archery tournement to commemorate the 11th Anniversary of Dragons Watch, and we were moving from the community center across the bay onto the mainland. I immidiately ran to the site of the Faire Grounds, only to discover an open field. Naturally, having always believed the faire grounds to be a fixture on all shards (never once assuming that it might be unique to ours); I asked the roleplayers there what happened to their faire grounds. Their response? They were absolutely jealous when they toured Baja last May, and had discovered we had one. All they have is this little corner next to one of the ranger huts with a butte to practice their archery on.

You could say that in a sense, we don't appreciate or make use of the few nice things we have been blessed with; while other shards would love to have something like the Skara Brae Faire Grounds to use for events and community gatherings!

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to interrupt what looks to be a thrilling debate, but in my opinion, if an inquiry had to be made, it could have been made by Private Mesages.

The above posts are only going to scare away those potential entrants who might now be confused as to the legitimacy of this event. It'd be a shame to throw a shadow of a doubt on what could be a great time for everyone.

In any case, time willing, I'll hop on my brother's archer and take a shot at it (pun intended). He once won second place at an earlier BSR tournament!

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is my last post on this matter. This thread is supposed to be celebrating something missed and brought back in another incarnation. It has turned into something that is not pleasant at all. Let's keep the rest of the replies here on topic, and take the other matter to other places.

C

catship

hiyas Parisa

we did talk this over, about were to have the BSR
we have butts now, we though it best to have it at a house
as the last 2 or 3 i was at, the griefers where out
and Theo did talk about doing it at the guild house too

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is my last post on this matter. This thread is supposed to be celebrating something missed and brought back in another incarnation. It has turned into something that is not pleasant at all. Let's keep the rest of the replies here on topic, and take the other matter to other places.
With staying on topic and all, I have to tip my hat to you all on Baja. I've never played on your shard, but from what I all know, the Best Shot in the Realm is quite the event. I have followed the event every year it has been in effect. Wish there were more outstanding, unique events like that.

*tips hat* :D

O

Obsession 1

I did indeed leave a short time after Debi, but as the guild was dwindling I had another offer and took it. That is of no never mind to this however.

It was posted on the Stratics guild forum of this other forum so how were we to know you had never been guided there. Yes this happened last week, and was very recent, however if something was wanted to be done then it should have been done already by those remaining. That is of course merely my opinion as I did state in my post. Frankly, it's not my job to update everyone save here on the forums, much less remember everyone and who is part of what guild. S/A is but a distant memory at times, even if good ones. The update that we got was posted here which is where Sara's and my own responsiblities end. I do update you as much as possible. I don't always have time to send out all information all the time. So yes I seemed bitter in my post as I felt you were attacking Sara and my integritty as reporters. I merely pointed out what was already said, and I've already repeated here... If something wanted to be done it should fall to Theoran to decide and not our jobs to prove to anyone but ourselves before we post.

I love when Oriana gets mad. Drop the hammer Ori!! hehe

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Bajanians,

Toni Fierce (M!S Guild Leader) & I had a long, civil, discussion concerning the Society of Archers (S|A), the Best Shot in the Realm (BSR), and future peaceful coexistence.

We agreed to disagree on most things.

Toni did offer to return the BSR to S|A should it arise anew to a vibrant Guild able to support the event.

I remain of a mind that S|A shall ever be the "true" host of any legitimate BSR. However, any and all Guilds, groups, or persons are always free to hold any events they wish, calling them anything they wish.

I shall remain the last member of S|A on Baja playing with any regularity. And I shall continue attempting to bring about S|A's renewal...and the eventual renewal of the True Best Shot in the Realm (BSR).

I likely will not be participating with the M!S event, though I will speak no further words against their event nor take any actions to in ANY way interfere with it.

Aerowyn, Huntress (S|A)

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man, I wish I could enter. Will shooting Magic Arrow at the archery butte get me disqualified!? Ah well, good luck to the participants, and I'll raise my sake bottle to everyone's success! :shots:

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well dang! I had wanted to attend but thought it was on Sunday. That's what I get for not checking Baja's event calendar. :sad3: At 8:30PM, I was busy trying to figure out how to drive some reds crazy at the Fel Blighted. :D Too much fun! I hope everyone had a good time and I look forward to attending the next one to cheer on the archers.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Greetings All,
Wow! What a night! What wonderful people!

Last night I had the opportunity to participate in this event. I really thought that I would have an advantage as I am so young and strong but I was pretty quickly reminded by the Older Folk that experience does mean something.

The contestants conducted themselves with honor and chivalry. You could see the respect that they had for one another. The audience cheered for all. Even I, who didn't make it through the first round walked off the list feeling proud of what I had done.

I've been on this shard for only a few short weeks and I must say that I've met kindness at every turn. People have been willing to take the time to mark a rune, give directions, let me help them (or is it them helping me?) with the town attacks and just generally being thoughtful. I have to say that I am glad I chose this shard to be my home away from home.

Thank you all,

Bucko the Kid

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And we are blessed to have someone as gracious and humble as you on our shard. From your words, I can tell you will be an asset to the Baja community. *deep curtsy*

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am soo sorry I wasn't there for this, the first BSR in a year!! RL had me going in circles, but it was a lot of fun too. Congrats to the winner!!