• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] An Interview With EM Seppo and EM Pallando

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When the Event Moderator program was initially introduced, the EMs could not be interviewed. Recently that changed, and the Baja Stratics Forum staff compiled a list of interview questions for EM Seppo and EM Pallando.

While the EMs can not reply on Stratics, they are avid readers of the forums. They can and do reply on their website, goldenbrewtavern.com

--------------------------------------------------

1. A lot of people on Baja truly care for our history, and have been so glad that you have taken time to help save some of that history, why have you tried so hard?

Seppo:
I have always believed that the most appealing aspect of Ultima Online is the ability of each and every single one of us to leave our own footprint. Keeping this in mind, it is important to maintain a shard's rich history as it serves as a constant reminder of this unique feature of Ultima Online to a new generation of players and also existing players who might have forgotten that they too can be heroes in this land.

Pallando:
Both Seppo and I believe strongly in the people and places that identify each shard. A feature specific only to UO. Each person, new or old, and every historical place presenting a rich history and unique story, and the fun memories that we often reflect upon. This is what we must preserve. These are the friends and enemies, the cities and landmarks that serve to remind the players that they too can leave their mark, that they too can shape the virtual world that surrounds them.

So yeah, I am passionate about it. Can't you tell?

2. After having spent nearly six and a half months here, what are your impressions of Baja?

Seppo:
Has it been that long already? Sheesh!

I think that Baja is a hidden gem! If I could, I would shout out from the tallest tower about the amazing people that call this shard their home.

Pallando:
Seppo spoke my mind. Six months? Time flies when you're having fun!

Baja is a great place to be! A great place with warm, inviting, and constructive players who share the same goal, to have fun.

3. Before you became an EM, what was your favorite type of character to play?

Seppo:
For much of my past, I was exclusively a PvP mage. PvP in T2A has never ceased to entertain me, just as PvP at Yew gate has never failed to put me to sleep. Besides that, I have always enjoyed being a craftsman and having a vendor or two.

Pallando:
Throughout my UO lifetime I was always partial to warriors, specifically swordsmen. Both in PvP and PvE I enjoyed being in the thick of things. Outside of that I have a fondness for building my crafter, and am getting back into treasure hunting and plant growing.

4. Did you get to choose Baja as your shard, or were you assigned?
If you were assigned, which shard would you have picked?

Seppo:
I was assigned and I could not have asked for a better assignment.

Pallando:
Best assignment evar!

5. How did you happen to start playing UO?

Seppo:
I watched a friend play and thought that it was brilliant.

Pallando:
A buddy of mine used to tell me about his crazy adventures in the game and eventually I gave it a shot. Been hooked ever since.

6. How is Bartlebe?

Seppo:
Bartalbe is doing fine and dearly enjoys the dog treats left at the bank by fans.

Pallando:
Yep, Bartlebe is doing just fine. Even if he does yap endlessly at people passing by, and drive Trubo and King Casca crazy.

7. I believe one of you mentioned in the early days that we should prepare our ships, and keep our eyes on the seas? Should we still be watching the sea?

Seppo:
Tsk, tsk.. I am guessing these questions were asked before the "Battle on High Seas" event :p

Considering that Lord Gideon has been promoted to a high position, I would not be surprised if you had to take the oar duty again.

Pallando:
That suggestion still stands. Be vigilant and mindful, even more so with the rise of Lord Gideon. There is more to come.

8. In your opinion, what has been the best part about being an EM?

Seppo:
Seeing people excited about your work! Being able to implement your vision of the game! The fact that I have an extremely talented colleague whose strengths largely complement mine!

Pallando:
When an event comes together and watching the enthusiasm and enjoyment of the players as everything plays out. Oh, and the Meet and Greets! I always have an awesome time! All of this with Seppo. A smart, trout obsessed, and creative head EM to lead everything!

9. Kullervo is one of the more interesting characters we've seen. Any chance we will be seeing more of him?

Seppo:
Yea, what about Kullervo? I must say he is one of my favorite characters as well but he is bit stuck at the moment. Apparently, as Pallando so astutely pointed out to me, being a gardener is not so happening! However, I am sure he will get his chance to shine yet.

Pallando:
I'll give this one to Seppo as he more or less took the thoughts right out of my mind.

10. Mesanna mentioned looking into a particular ankh in Trinsic. Any updates on this?

Seppo:
If you can provide me with more details, I will pass it on to her.

Pallando:
Details please.

11. Of the events you have hosted thus far, which is your favorite?

Seppo:
Hmm.. I must say that I really enjoyed planning the Valentine's day event where we had to follow into the footsteps of Raimo. In my opinion, it was fairly epic in nature for a single day event. Unfortunately, it suffered a bit from few mistakes on my part. Posting a walk through for that event is still on my To Do list.

I was also very impressed with how successful the Faire Grounds festival and the Champions Tournament proved to be.

Pallando:
Honestly I don't have just one favorite!

Although I missed part of it, I thoroughly enjoyed the initial Bazaar event. Also the first and second Casca speech, the public gathering hosted by Trubo, the easter egg hunt, and, despite whatever my buddy Seppo says, the Battle on the High Seas event was madly exciting! Lastly is the attack on the orcs led by Trubo just for the sheer amount of sleeplessness that went into putting it together!

12. Some players have sought audiences with particular characters (i.e. some seek an audience with Saius or Aino). Is there any way for such characters to contact these RPCs?

Seppo:
If you wish to do so ingame, then you can always make use of the bulletin boards. For out of game contact, use the contact us link on the website.

Pallando:
As Seppo says, either the bulletin boards or e-mail contacts are the quickest methods. We do our best and try to read everything that comes our way, both in and out of game. Just don't cry rebellion against the King and then expect an audience with him the next day!

13. The first bazaar was a smashing success despite being a last minute event. The second also seemed to be very successful, despite the slow signups. Any chance we will continue to see a regular bazaar?

Seppo:
We will see more gatherings at the Faire Grounds in the future but not as often as originally conceived.

Regarding the bazaar concept per say, I must admit that I am disappointed with the lack of interest amongst merchants. The bazaar was originally conceived to replicate similar festivals that are a staple on Japanese shards. While we have had a comparable level of interest for community related aspects of it (games, information booths, etc.), the same cannot be said about the trade aspect of it. On Japanese shards, it is not uncommon to find players selling everything from highend Doom artifacts to Powerscrolls leading to a true bazaar type of an atmosphere.

As such, I am not sure if there is a big demand for future Faire Ground gatherings to be based on a bazaar theme. However, there is always room for one more shot!

Pallando:
Seppo is the big mover for the Bazaar events, this one is his!

14. The Royal Britannian Guard once consisted of volunteer characters, much like the current Town Guard. What is the storyline behind the switch? Can players still roleplay Royal Guards?

Seppo:
Surely, you can roleplay a Royal guard to your heart's desire!

In regards to why town guards and not Royal guards? Well, it was a decision based on a larger vision of cities in Britannia, especially it's capital city.

A city, especially a capital city, should be a hub of activity, teeming with life. However, this has not been the case in the recent past. So, the question that I asked was what are the missing ingredients? The obvious answer was a lack of system that allows the citizens to shape the future of the city. This is something that happens every day in real life through and if Britain were to ever mimic a real city, it must happen here as well.

Based on this, it was merely a question of creating systems which allow the players a chance to shape them and EM events provide a perfect opportunity to do this. So far, we have high political intrigue involving Lord Casca, Captain Nystad, Lord Emissary Saius, and now Lord Gideon. Then taking it a notch down, you have the town guards and the red caps which are almost completely player-run. They represent the police and the petty criminals that we can find in any large city. Finally, on the other end of the spectrum, you have the thieves led by the thief-master which represent the shadowy parts of Britain. A professional crime ring led by a Godfather, if you may! The key is to have all of these systems flexible enough to respond to player input leading to a REAL city.

Going back to the original question, town guards allow for the increased focus on the city. Royal guards are more like the military. Also, the fact that there was... is ... an anti-royalty environment prevailing in the post Casca Britain. Town guards are separate enough for players to join and not feel like they are working for Lord Casca, even though they really are!

Pallando:
What Seppo said! I'm telling you, he is the earth shaker around here!

15. What has surprised or shocked you most about Baja?

Seppo:
I have been pleasantly surprised by the attitude of PvP'ers in Baja. In general, all players are extremely well-mannered and proactive.

Pallando:
It was an excellent surprise to see how kind, welcoming, and constructive all the players are on Baja. And both the PvP and RP crowd have put themselves out to be involved, patient and mature. What more could I ask for!?

16. What has surprised or shocked you most about your job?

Seppo/Pallando:
The amount of work and time that Mesanna and other developers put in to support the game. The creativity of my colleagues. The opportunity it has given me to gain a comforting insight into how secure and exciting the future of Ultima Online really is.

17. What is the funniest thing that has happened to you in UO?

Seppo:
When Mesanna turned me into a naked green man! Long story!

Pallando:
EM wise, it was when we started out and I was walking around on TC and watching players fight Candy Elementals, Balrons named "Don't Run I have Candy", and a shadow dragon renamed "Just Love me" as he killed players outside of WBB.

The other time involved me as a two day old player with a newbie sword and newbie clothes, extreme lag, and the aggro of a cow. Yeah, it was both funny and embarrassing.

18. Will we see re-occurring characters, such as Ilmatar?

Seppo:
I hope so. Illmatar is a very promising character but I don't want to use her unless it is special enough. She has bit of an other worldly and supernatural persona so it is not likely that she would meddle unless the need was great.

Something to keep in mind is that there might be times when some of the past event characters have something to say about current events, if it is appropriate. For instance, farmer Bartholomew, being dependent on the shipping trade out of Skara Brae, had a word or two to say about Lord Gideon. I don't think anyone thought about chatting with him though on that topic during the Sewer event run. As things go forward, this will prove to be quite useful at times.

19. How would one bribe our resident Event Moderators? Sake? Magdalena's Cookies? A Golden Brew Ale?

Seppo:
I am partial to truffles!

Pallando:
All three at once. While watching a highly trained sheep named "The Fluffster" fight progressively stronger monsters and win every time, relying only on his natural regeneration, unshakable determination, prowess in combat, and will to win against any odds. That would definitely get a thumbs up from me!

----------------------------------------------------------------
The official website for EM Seppo and EM Pallando is goldenbrewtavern.com

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're both such interesting guys. Can we have more interviews in the future, time willing?

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have something in the works =)
I just need to get some final touches on my idea before i talk to Seppo