• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] A Tale of Two Thiefs

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gather round now children....I've gots a tale to tell ya...

Now everyone is familiar with your garden variety thief who steals items from his victims.

And although I know you'll find it hard to believe...there are other more sinister thieves...

At the bottom or top of the hierarchy as is your perspective is the thief that steals another man's ideas and work. They are not concerned with respect for the efforts of a beloved & honest man. They only wish to profit.

All this is well and true but tonight's tale is not of these thieves, common as they be, tonight's tale is about a different kind of thief.

Tonight's tale is about Shinobi - "The Thief Tax"

I sat down with the man responsible for uncovering this dastardly plot, none other than our own beloved Tazar from ODE. I asked him what had occurred earlier this week.

He said to me...

"Today, a small book was casually slipped into the pocket of one of our guild members at the crowded Luna Bank. Minutes passed before she realized that she had a book."

Upon opening the book, she read: "The Thief Tax - by Shinobi" and he took out the very book and opened it.

"Greetings" it said...and he read it aloud for me to hear.

"It has come to our attention that your guild roster has reached over 50 active members."

"You are now going to be part of a tax that will be enforced by thieves, to provide partial protection to your guild."

I looked at Tazar with widening eyes and urged him to continue....He shifted his weight, looked about the room we were in, looked me in the eyes and in a deep very serious voice he picked up the threads of the tale.

"We are the biggest thief guild in all of UO. Our guild currently has over 60 active thieves. We are enforcing a tax on any guild with 50 or more active members on it's roster. The tax will not be too large, only 1 million gold per month.

"Why would you pay this tax you ask? Well, as thieves, we have the ability to infiltrate your guild, and steal whatever we wish."

"Paying this tax will keep us from going out of our way to infiltrate your guild and rob your members. "This does not mean that you are 100% protected from us. This just prevents us from purposely targeting your guild."

"If you fail to pay the 1 million gold each month, or refuse, then we will begin to send thieves into your guild until you agree to make the payments."

"1 million gold a month is nothing for a large guild. That is why this should be no trouble for you and your fellow guild members."

"How simply horrible," I said, interrupting his words. He looked at me with intense eyes and continued without waiting for my approval.

"In order to make the payments, one emissary of your guild will be selected to have access to our guild house, Thieves' Fortress."

"On the top floor of the fortress are 4 towers. Inside these towers will be containers, each engraved with a specific guild abbreviation. The emissary who is selected, will receive a key for your guild's designated container."

"Once a month, this person must come to the fortress, and place a 1 million check into your guild's container, and then lock it back. We will have a copy of the key, which I personally will be in control of, so that only I may open these containers. The only people who will be able to entry the chests are the selected guild emissaries and myself."

"If you fail to make a payment for a month, you will be given a 3-day grave period, and a warning if we can track you down. If after the 3 days ends, you have not provided us with the 1 million gold, we will begin to send thieves into your guild, and they will take whatever they wish."

"Thieves come in and shape and form these days. We can appear as a noble tamer, a strong warrior, and many other forms. "

"Do not take this as a joke, because we will go out of our way to infiltrate your guild and steal something worth far more than just 1 million gold."

"The payments will begin in the month of February, so if by the beginning of March, you have not made a payment, then prepare to lose valuable items."

"Thank you for your time."

"That's just crazy...are they serious?" I said in total disbelief.

"What can be done?"

"What can we do?"

"Do you know of other guilds or organizations that have received such a book as this one?"

"Who is this Shinobi?

"And where is the Thieves' Fortress??

I fired off more questions than he could answer at the moment and he left me wondering where the answers would come from and feeling grateful that I didn't have such a new friend as Shinobi...

Andrasta
Atlantic Shard Reporter
GRL

T

Tazar

'Tis been a crazy few days since the fair lady first brought me that book reporting of the threats against our fellowship.

I have long considered the proper response and as the leader of the Elders, I must formally denounce this foul plot and declare that ODE shall never submit to such an attempt upon or honor.

By all that is virtuous, we vow that ye shall have no prize from us!

(Thanks for the good laugh... the guild enjoyed it)

LordNoximos

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whats even funnier is that ODE claims to be a RP guild and also claim to have the biggest group of RP players. ODE has never RP'd and can never claim that.
ODE has only been around about 6 years and a very lame 6 years. They have no Fel players (except one and I think he quit). Put up or shut up. Want to prove you are what you claim?

I'll slay every thief in the name of ODE! :gun:

T

Tazar

Seems a post got removed for ROC violations, but it is quoted above in Noximos's reply...

Since the post is filled with misinformation, I feel the need to set the record straight.

I have no clue where you got your information or your impressions on ODE, but they can not be further from the truth. We do not RP (other than an occasional *hic* which is our guild motto - see for example my only reply in the "Is RP Dead on Atlantic" thread) and never have... nor do we claim to. You will not find me or any of our members on the RP forums, or hanging out with any RP groups. We have a few x-rp'ers in the alliance who left because of the excessive drama in the RP groups, but there are none in ODE.

ODE was originally started by me, for one reason: to get everyone else to stop asking me to join their guild! It was just me for a long time playing the game totally solo, and then around 7 years ago, my brother Kazar (about the only one that does PVP on an ODE character - and yes, he still plays) joined to be immediately followed by a niece and nephew, and then another brother. Add a few very long term friends (a father/son pair, a husband/wife pair and a few others) and that is us.

We are a trammel based peerless focused guild and not an RP or a PVP group. We do have several members that PVP, either on ODE characters, or on other characters in other PVP focused guilds. We like to stay active in the ongoing storyline of developer, and now EM events in tribute to Stuffa who started the alliance that we now lead.

We like to help out newer players, provide some services to the shard (rune library, assisting Sakkarah with her old player run events, etc.) We do lots of peerless, and lately, lots of Ilshenar and ML champ spawns. That's us.

While we do have 95 currently active character members, due to multiple accounts, that's really about 10 active players. We mostly stick to ourselves and use teamspeak for our communications, so we are usually very quiet in game. That's us.

Now that you have the truth about us, please replace the misinformation in your mind. If you want proof of who and what we are, feel free to join us anytime for a few hunts. We'll be happy to show you how we tackle peerless...

Regarding the "RP story" here on the Atlantic forum, that is not us... it is a true story of a book given to one of our guild-members and we have the original book locked down in our guildhall. We assume they are RP'ing, but the threats are taken seriously.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to further straighten out the misinformation spread about us.

Safe Journeys!

Tazar (Confirmed RP hater).

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh Tazar!

I have met Shinobi on occasion in my wanders in Felucca.

He has always been most polite, and never *rummages in backpack*..nope, never..procured anything from me.

But be advised...he is a thief extraordinaire!

Be wary! Be very very wary! :eyes:

Oh!
And Be Safe

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'll slay every thief in the name of ODE! :gun:

You've not killed me yet, then again you keep your pack so frickin empty that I've not given you the excuse........bout 10 or so rune books, couple spell books, 2 Blessed EM Sashes, house placement tool, and that's about your norm. I've almost stopped bothering with you.....

LordNoximos

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've not killed me yet, then again you keep your pack so frickin empty that I've not given you the excuse........bout 10 or so rune books, couple spell books, 2 Blessed EM Sashes, house placement tool, and that's about your norm. I've almost stopped bothering with you.....
Skilled PVP'ers don't require an inventory to compete, duh!

5 Runebooks, actually.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Skilled PVP'ers don't require an inventory to compete, duh!

5 Runebooks, actually.
Really I thought it was more...I'll have to take a screen shot next time....

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been doing some research on UO Thieves...
Their legends and old songs, which deal mainly with oversexed elves and dragons in heat, make passing reference to their ancestoral home in the fetid lands at the mouth and other orifices of the Dung River, where they supported themselves by hiring out as security advisors to the local dwarf population who considered them puny, sly and inscrutable. There are other records in the great library of the Lyceum which lend credence to this history, old articles in the Police Gazzette and the like. Why they decided to undertake the perilous crossing into Britain is uncertain, though again their songs tell of a shadow that fell upon the land so that the potatoes grew no more.
...story developing....

AaronTheAssassin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya know, I do enjoy guild infiltrations. Might help brighten up my day.

I think ima prob join the Infiltration section. ^^
lol, Spoiler in a spoiler.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

I told you I'd get a screenshot of your pack, of course you'd have to junk it up a bit but still I got the screenshot :p

Now where did that come from.....oh yea....

Don't worry though your in good company and it wasn't a valuable scroll anyways.