• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Newbie Sampire .....

C

Cyric_SP

After being back for a month now and having most of my chars up to par, going to work on setting up my last one as a sampire and give that a whirl.

My question thou, which melee skill is the best? I currently have on stones:

100.0 Swords
109.5 Fencing
103.9 Macing

From reading Lynk's post, I took notice he only has 60 parry. Is this all that is needed? I thought I would want parry maxed. He also has necro at 99. I have 105 necro on a stone, do I need to drop it to 99 or is the 105 ok to keep?

I'm guessing armor isn't an issue whether med or non-med since leeching doesn't require a specific type.

How important is race? I'm guessing elf is the way to go with mana boost they get, but with the JoAT humans get, which is better?

Sorry for all the questions, after 5 years away it's like learning a new game all over again. Definitely feel like a newb :(

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After being back for a month now and having most of my chars up to par, going to work on setting up my last one as a sampire and give that a whirl.

My question thou, which melee skill is the best? I currently have on stones:

100.0 Swords
109.5 Fencing
103.9 Macing

From reading Lynk's post, I took notice he only has 60 parry. Is this all that is needed? I thought I would want parry maxed. He also has necro at 99. I have 105 necro on a stone, do I need to drop it to 99 or is the 105 ok to keep?

I'm guessing armor isn't an issue whether med or non-med since leeching doesn't require a specific type.

How important is race? I'm guessing elf is the way to go with mana boost they get, but with the JoAT humans get, which is better?

Sorry for all the questions, after 5 years away it's like learning a new game all over again. Definitely feel like a newb :(
You will find varying opinions on a lot of this and what I've come to understand that playing a sampire is a very personal experience. There are many ways to play one and you need to work out which fits best for you.

In terms of weapon skill, I prefer fencing. My wife uses a macer, and others do swords.

Fencing- In my humble opinion, fencing has the best sampire weapon available in the Leafblade. It's one handed, has Feint and Armor Ignore as specials and does pretty good damage. There are other fencing AI weapons (Kryss, Spear), but neither really match the Leafblade (unless you PvP, then the Kryss is nice). For whirlwind, you are limited to 1 weapon- the kama. It does the job and looks cool while doing it. ;)

Macing- I believe has the best whirlwind weapon in the Black staff. I give the edge to it over the Radiant Scimitar (even though the scimitar is one handed) because you can enhance the Black staff after imbuing too add 10% SSI- which swings at max with just 150 stamina. The Black staff also has damage over the scimitar (13-16 to 12-14). For Armor Ignore, you'll want to use the War Axe. The only other macing weapon with Armor Ignore is the Hammer Pick and you have to invest too much into SSI to make it worth while (180 stamina and 55 SSI).

Swords- probably the most popular. Swords already has a sampire weapon made for it in the Soul Seeker. For AI you have Bladed Staff, Hatchet, Long Sword, Broadsword and Katana. Most popular here seems to be the Long/Broad swords. I messed around with the Katana and Bladed Staff- didn't care for them. Haven't done anything with the hatchet. For Whirlwind oddly enough swords had an artifact made for it also- Blazing Death. While not the perfect sampire weapon, it does clear spawn well. Your choices here are Large Battle Axe, Halberd, Paladin Sword (aka The Redeemer- not really usable imo) and Double Axe. I've seen people use the Double Axe, with the other ability of Double Strike, especially against mobs in which you don't have a slayer. And it has nice damage- 15-17 damage and whirlwind is abusive. But, it seems that most people run the radiant scimitar. It's fast, you don't need much SSI and it's one handed, so you run a shield and/or use potions.

99 necromancy is the minimum you need to cast Vampiric Embrace. The template is tight enough that each point is important. I carry scrolls, arcane boots, rings (to raise necro to 120) to help cast it.

As for parry- with the changes to chivalry, you need high skill in chivalry to obtain the same benefits that we got from having 60-65 skill. So, most have dropped parry to 60 and upped Chivalry in response. Keeping the 60 points, so that when added with Bushido and a weapon skill, you get the 300 skill points needed for the 10 mana discount for specials.

As for race, I prefer Elf. The mana is just too good to pass up. The only reason I can see going human is because of JOAT and using it with spellweaving, mysticism and magery.

C

Cyric_SP

Thanks for the nice write up. Gives me more of an idea how to build up what I need. Now just need to work a few skills to get them maxed and do a little SS swapping to get all the right skills together.

Since fencing is my highest skill I'll start with that. Can always switch off since I do have all 3 at 100 or higher. Now to spend some time putting a suit together .. ugh.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the nice write up. Gives me more of an idea how to build up what I need. Now just need to work a few skills to get them maxed and do a little SS swapping to get all the right skills together.

Since fencing is my highest skill I'll start with that. Can always switch off since I do have all 3 at 100 or higher. Now to spend some time putting a suit together .. ugh.
For a suit, you can really go basic... I've been wanting to work out what I would consider a 'cheap' sampire suit. One with no artifacts. That would be hard, because I think you really need mace and shield glasses, but it can be done- and imbue just what you need so you don't hit the expensive ingredients. The problem there is the slayers. So, even done cheaply, it's not going to be cheap.

Maybe next week while my wife is gone to Mega Con, I'll take sometime to sit and figure one up.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ironically, I use mace fighting and swords for my sampires... Never fencing. But all are viable.

There is an additional AI mace weapon. The war axe is a 3.25s weapon with AI/Bleed and has 14-15 damage which is higher than the leafblade. I like the war axe and blackstaff combo.

Swords has the most options. I tested Longswords with 35 SSI and 180+ stamina, but found I could be just as effective running with 20 SSI and 150+ Stamina using a Bladed Staff (3s, 14-16 damage). So I run swords with a Bladed Staff and a Radiant Scimitar.

I think the weakness of fencing is that the only whirlwind weapon is the kama and it is fast, but it hits too light in my opinion.

As for garg melee weapons, the Disc Mace is a 2.75s AI weapon (much like the leafblade). In my opinion it is the best option. The Dread Sword is the same as a Longsword, but again you need 35 SSI and 180+ stamina to swing at max. The only whirlwind weapon is the Gargish Talwar but it has a base speed of 3.5s which requires the same 35 SSI and 180 Stamina if I recall correctly from memory. If only gargs could use black staffs...

But remember one of the key benefits of the sampire is the 20% damage reduction from the exceptionally barded swamp dragon. You can't ride a swampy as a gargoyle.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
The only whirlwind weapon is the Gargish Talwar but it has a base speed of 3.5s which requires the same 35 SSI and 180 Stamina if I recall correctly from memory.
Only one WW gargish weapon in the game?

p.s. Now I use Disc Mace only (max speed with 20 ssi and 120 stam).

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is an additional AI mace weapon. The war axe is a 3.25s weapon with AI/Bleed and has 14-15 damage which is higher than the leafblade. I like the war axe and blackstaff combo.
I did mention the war axe, but should have put more emphasis on it. That is the combo my wife uses.

Swords has the most options. I tested Longswords with 35 SSI and 180+ stamina, but found I could be just as effective running with 20 SSI and 150+ Stamina using a Bladed Staff (3s, 14-16 damage). So I run swords with a Bladed Staff and a Radiant Scimitar.
The only reason I am not running the staff on my sampire is that I have started to use shields most of the time.

I think the weakness of fencing is that the only whirlwind weapon is the kama and it is fast, but it hits too light in my opinion.
It does have low damage, but when combined with whirlwind, that more than makes up for it (whirlwind adds upto 100 damage based on bushido and number of targets)

As for garg melee weapons, the Disc Mace is a 2.75s AI weapon (much like the leafblade). In my opinion it is the best option. The Dread Sword is the same as a Longsword, but again you need 35 SSI and 180+ stamina to swing at max. The only whirlwind weapon is the Gargish Talwar but it has a base speed of 3.5s which requires the same 35 SSI and 180 Stamina if I recall correctly from memory. If only gargs could use black staffs...

But remember one of the key benefits of the sampire is the 20% damage reduction from the exceptionally barded swamp dragon. You can't ride a swampy as a gargoyle.
And this for gargs. I may go back and try a garg sampire again at some point, just because of the 50 HCI.

C

Cyric_SP

After spending the last 3 days working on a suit, this is what I have for my starter suit. The only calculation I forgot was the reduction to fire resist for being in vamp form. Will need to remember that when working on my next suit. Haven't had a chance to actually go out and test it all out yet. I dont have any relic frags so I can't add any LMC to the suit or SSI to weapons. Overall, I guess not bad for only being back in game since the beginning of the year and having to work up imbue from 0. My imbuer is only at 110.6 and he's an elf, not a garg (which I hear helps alot). My stats are only from the bonuses of the suit, not buffed by pots.

Specs on the suit:
HP Increase +24
Stam Increase +42
Mana Increase +42
HCI 32
DCI 24
DI 65
Enhance Pots 40
LMC 6

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After spending the last 3 days working on a suit, this is what I have for my starter suit. The only calculation I forgot was the reduction to fire resist for being in vamp form. Will need to remember that when working on my next suit. Haven't had a chance to actually go out and test it all out yet. I dont have any relic frags so I can't add any LMC to the suit or SSI to weapons. Overall, I guess not bad for only being back in game since the beginning of the year and having to work up imbue from 0. My imbuer is only at 110.6 and he's an elf, not a garg (which I hear helps alot). My stats are only from the bonuses of the suit, not buffed by pots.

Specs on the suit:
HP Increase +24
Stam Increase +42
Mana Increase +42
HCI 32
DCI 24
DI 65
Enhance Pots 40
LMC 6

Its not a bad first attempt. Your running low HCI and DCI and that could be a big problem, I am curious to see how things go without the LMC. Let us know how this suit works out for you in the long run.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Nice starter suit. I usually use 5 imbued suit pieces and one artifact. I think your biggest issue is DCI. Try using a Heart of the Lion or a Fey Leggings to raise your DCI and then use 5 imbued pieces.

One tip is to build your suit in Excel so you can account for resist reductions such as the -25 fire from VE and -15 physical from Protection (if you use that).

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice starter suite, will be intresting to see what lvl bosses you can solo upto. Read up a bit on medusa and dreadhorn as there the easiest 2, to see what wepons is best and what wepon you type is best with your stats. [remember dont use a physical wepon on irk!! as you wont have the mana to cast concicrate]

Also have you checked the sticky at the top, there is a link to most of our suites so you can see what to aim for.

GL an enjoy being back

Thunderz

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Nice starter suite,
As to me this suit is not good. There's some design error.

1. Replace ONE resists mod from the ring/bracelet with 20 DI and add TWO resists mods to the armor.

2. Use frostwood to get 12 more resists for free

3. Make better armor pieces to lose less resists to imbuing.

If we sum 1-3 we get for the same money armor with 70/95/70/70/75 resists, 7 more DCI, 6 less DI, the same MI/SI/HPI/LMC and free room for 8*90 = 720 luck (or 13*6 RPD and 12*2 skill points) and 5 more INT from robe

4. Spend 100k for lum fungi to get additional 6 mi and 6 si from armor.

5. Spend 500k for 20 relic to get 34 lmc (instead of luck/rpd on the armor).

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
We're giving him an A for effort. The best way to learn is to dive in and make it. I still have my first imbued sampire suit. I look back and say, "Wow... What was I thinking?". But I learned through using the suit, experimenting, and building more suits.

I think M&S Glasses are a worthy investment when you eventually have the gold. Also, don't overlook reforging for the future. Thunderz reported on a way to make 10 HCI woodland pieces with a reforge and some heartwood enhancing. I've found that making Equiste/of Quality items with low-end runics is a good way to get elemental damage weapons.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree with Obsidian- I really don't want to say what my first suit looked like- I'll just say I'm glad I did it on test center.

I would NEVER use frostwood for a suit of armor. Well, I'll say almost never-

Here's why-

Heartwood 16 total resist + Random Property
Bloodwood 18 total resist + 2 HPR
Frostwood 18 total resist

Unless you are lazy and don't make the pieces to take advantage of the material bonuses there really isn't a reason to use frostwood (the only one I can think of atm is for the Darkwood suit).

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Unless you are lazy and don't make the pieces to take advantage of the material bonuses there really isn't a reason to use frostwood (the only one I can think of atm is for the Darkwood suit).
I could say exactly the opposite thing:
(If you haven't money for Forged Metal of Artifact) there isn't a reason to use something except frostwood.

:)

Yes it's good to get 2 hpr or random property for free but there is no sense to use some of your limited imbuing intensity for them.

Frostwood has very good distribution (just 1 in fire). So you can make max resists using fire res imbues only (and losing just 1-2 res points for imbue).

Heartwood has just 16 points (16 is 2 less than 18, heh?). Also it has 3 in fire that make "expensive" fire imbues.
Bloodwood has 3 in physical. Usually it means wasted phys resist points. Also it difficult to get max energy resist with just 3 from material and imbuing energy means 3 res wasted.

C

Cyric_SP

As to me this suit is not good. There's some design error.

1. Replace ONE resists mod from the ring/bracelet with 20 DI and add TWO resists mods to the armor.

If we sum 1-3 we get for the same money armor with 70/95/70/70/75 resists, 7 more DCI, 6 less DI, the same MI/SI/HPI/LMC and free room for 8*90 = 720 luck (or 13*6 RPD and 12*2 skill points) and 5 more INT from robe

4. Spend 100k for lum fungi to get additional 6 mi and 6 si from armor.

5. Spend 500k for 20 relic to get 34 lmc (instead of luck/rpd on the armor).
1) Each piece of armor DOES have 2 resist imbues on them
2) I used heartwood to get the DI and HCI on the armor, that was not imbued
3) I have no access to runics
4) I have plenty of fungi, if I went to 8 MI and SI, it would have been too much property weight for anything else
5) Would be nice to have 500k (no where do I have Luck or RPD on any of the armor pieces)

When I built this suit I had just come back to the game after 5+ years being away. I went to SP in 2002 and stayed there until I left UO in 2007. I had a whole 10k gold on a "barny" shard when I came back. Your post assumes that the person you are replying to has been around for years, has the resources needed, and knows what they are doing.

Thanks for making me feel even more like a newb then I already feel being away from the game as long as I have been.

I know this reply is about a month old now, and have since dismantled my sampire. I am not having fun with her at all.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
When I built this suit I had just come back to the game after 5+ years being away.
I didn't comment this suit one month ago because it's not bad for the first attempt.
I commented this suit few days ago because it's bad as an example of what to do for new players. (it was linked in other thread as an example of nice starter suit).

p.s. I don't see nothing bad in being a new player. And realizing that you have a lot things to learn is the first step to become better.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What are the base stats to run on a sampire STR, DEX and INT? Also are katana's any good or longsword the way to go?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I run 120 STR, 10 INT, and 125 DEX. But you can adjust that to fit your needs.

I think the Katana does not hit hard enough to be an ideal sampire weapon. For swords, bladed staff, broadsword, and longsword are better choices for an AI sampire weapon.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
It's better to use EP. In this case you need 110 str and 105-110 dex (if you use M&Sh and Crimson).

If you don't use EP then try to get at least 130 str 145 dex with arties and jewels.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The EP also goes well with giving a boost of healing with healing pots which is really nice

E

elspeth

3) I have no access to runics
I know you said you got rid of your sampire Cyric but I just wanted to clarify about this point if not for you then for others who are interested in suitbuilding.

Corwin's comment above actually has nothing to do with runics but is one of the important ideas behind suitbuilding. The bonuses from exceptional crafting and armslore get distributed randomly between the resists so one thing you can do to maximize resists and minimize wasted imbues is to make many pieces of armor (e.g. make many many leather sleeves) and look for the pieces that have all or most of the bonus resists in just a few of the resist categories so that one or two of the resists are at or very close to their minimum. You will have to create many pieces to find all the exact right pieces to fit together.

The reason behind this is that when you imbue resist onto your armor the maximum you can imbue is independent of how large or small the value was to begin with. So, if you have sleeves with resists something like 9/8/7/6/9 (just to throw some numbers out there) you would probably want to imbue over the poison value of 6 and raise it to say 17. But if you had a piece with resists more like 10/9/9/3/8 then you would still imbue poison up to 17 but you would be left with a piece with 3 more resists overall because they would not be "covered up" by the imbue.

Hope that makes sense.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does no one else have a problem with fencing in that the base damage for a leafblade just isnt quite high enough to take on certain critters?

I've been using swords but thought id give fencing a bash as i have the slayers and tbh, im struggling with the amount of leech i get.

My armour ignores do 20 or more damage less with a leafblade than with a broadsword and it seems to be making my life harder?

Is this to be expected? If so il probably have to train 120 swords for a second time to save the effort of keep swapping skills around on stones.

(Stuff im killing is level 4 covetous/Unbound evs etc)

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Dear Shaunus, there are quite a few monsters that I have never fought against with my fencing sampire. Unbound Energy Vorteces are not among those; UEVs are no problem to fight against with a leafblade, not even two at a time. I don't think I have tried three at a time yet. Also it helped me a lot to add Hit Lower Defense to my weapon even though I already have some HLD on my Mace & Shield Reading Glasses. Reason is: The 30% (?) that come from the glasses just were not enough to feel comfortable (will not help with damage, but with how often you can hit). My suit is not as "über" as it could theoretically be - I am lacking in the stats department (no enhancement, no runic reforging). As an aid I keep carrying potions.

What are your tactics and anatomy skills at?
Do you use an air elemental slayer weapon?
Do you have DI, Swing Speed etc. maxed out?

Last edited:

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Oh to add, I had once swapped in Discordance and Musicianship. I wasn't doing bad, but not better than before there, so I swapped back to usual Sampire skills. If you have a second account and can steer your discordance bard from that second account with you, it will be a great help. I think those Unbound Energy Vorteces die about twice as fast then. I think it was Poo who talked about it in another thread.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does no one else have a problem with fencing in that the base damage for a leafblade just isnt quite high enough to take on certain critters?

I've been using swords but thought id give fencing a bash as i have the slayers and tbh, im struggling with the amount of leech i get.

My armour ignores do 20 or more damage less with a leafblade than with a broadsword and it seems to be making my life harder?

Is this to be expected? If so il probably have to train 120 swords for a second time to save the effort of keep swapping skills around on stones.

(Stuff im killing is level 4 covetous/Unbound evs etc)
I've not run across a situation where my leafblade wasn't enough. Then again, my sampire is 120 tact / 120 anat with 150 strength.