• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Newbie Advice

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I made this thread for the more experienced players to share some general advise for newer players, or newer players who wished they had known something before hand. No walk throughs. These can be found elsewhere. Try to limit spoilers.

So please contribute.

The first thing I would say is to remember that this is alpha. Its not going to be as pretty as TOR and everything is still in its baby stages. If its clumsy or could be made better, give the devs your input. That is the purpose of testing.

Read the info on the Kickstarter page (link in the Useful Links thread).

There is no skill tree or place to put XPs into a skill. If you use a skill, that skill will advance.

Quest givers do not have indicators like exclaimation points or question marks over their heads. Talk to everyone. Keep notes if you have to. That is part of the exploratory nature of the game and is done on purpose.

Curses are meant to be fun and sometimes useful, so don't let them get you down. Enjoy them!

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
What exactly do you mean by spoilers? Quests endings, skills that are harder to find, or what?
Right. Some people like to explore and find things on thier own. If they want specific info they can go to the wiki. For this thread I would like to offer more general advise. And maybe some UI explainations or skill stradegies. Or what skills can be used or go nicely with various curses. For example, finding out that unarmed goes with cow is not something I would have discovered on my own.

Or they can start a thread and people can choose whether or not to open the thread.

Last edited:

Kaldane

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I guess I'll start this off then to give some help to new players. Here is some advice and please note that much of this is based mainly on opinion:

-Animal skills are much more difficult and tedious of a play style than human skills, so I would strongly suggest starting as a human for your first character as I see many players that immediately go into cow form and then often don't see them play for very long after the initial novelty wears off.
-The best gear can be found from bosses and enemies inside the two dungeons
-Quests will provide you with many different skills and items you need for them
-Key bindings are very helpful when using combat skills (This can be changed under Options->Key Commands)
-Pets make leveling so much easier, so leveling skills that let you summon pets will help you tremendously
-Some skills can provide benefits to others so it is best to experiment with different combinations
-Explore, explore, explore it will answer so many questions and is one of the key things in this game
-This game obviously isn't WoW so you should enter things with a different mindset than when play your typical MMO
-This may not be you, but I tend to like to one or two skills at a time to their full potential

Hope this is the kind of thing you are looking for without giving too much away

Cenan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'll add a bit

- The fist icon over a monster's head is their Rage bar, this fills up when they attack you, or you attack them. Many powerful monster attacks use this (poison from spiders for instance). Depleting their rage bar or using a stun can help immensely.
- The chat window defaults to hotkey C, please use it and say hi.
- The "all" tab of the chat window contains game info, including how much xp an activity gives you.
- Typing "/who" without the quotes into the chat will tell you who else is in the area with you.
- Do have pen & paper nearby, some NPCs like to tell you things when you start favors for them, but the information is not available in-game after that.
- Pen & paper also goes well with Words of Power, some are immediately useful, some not.
- Don't focus on one skill alone, many fights can be made much easier with the right skill combination
- Trade skills are very useful, don't ignore them because they seem tedious, this is not WoW.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Thanks guys! It took me awhile to figure out the fist thing. Also that fire over thier head means they are vulnerable to fire. The shrimp means they are vulnerable to fish...etc.

Nosyaiel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Practically every item you come across has SOME use, even things that are normally considered Vendor trash (Goblets,) so get used to hanging onto things until you really need the space.

Steeldragonz

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Practically every item you come across has SOME use, even things that are normally considered Vendor trash (Goblets,) so get used to hanging onto things until you really need the space.
this is my biggest issue with the game right now, and i know that a few others feel the same. We simply dont have enough inventory/storage. And this [at the moment] is encouraging people to make alt's and a bunch of mules.