• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Newb with some questions...

L

logicbox9

So I've been in New Haven a few days now... I love UO! It's a lot of fun. I'm wondering though, what should I be doing next? I know that UO is really open ended, which is great... but I'm somewhat overwhelmed.

I'm a mage, and all my skills are over 50 now. I wanted to start hunting for a 100% LRC suit. Any tips on where to hunt, or some suggestions on what to do next? Thanks everyone!

I

imported_Spiritless

Heya.

Glad you're having a good time. Well, the first logical step to me would be to start looking at your template and ensuring that the skills you want to train are going to work together viably. For instance, do you want to play a mage that can swing weapons also and use special moves from weapons? Or maybe you want a mage character that is additionally supported by the necromancy line of casting? You should be thinking about focusing your training on the areas that you need to gain in for your desired template.

You may wish to look at finding a guild for you to join with experienced players who might be able to help you with your training and advise you which direction your character may be best suited to heading in. I'd suggest you make this a high priority to bring some community interaction into your UO experience and to integrate yourself in your shard's community. Having the support of your guildmates cannot be underestimated.

Take care. You might want to post what shard you're on in case anyone from that shard happens to be reading here and can help you.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its time for some adventuring in the Anti- Virtue Dungeons i'll say. First levels are good to earn some gold, practice your skills on fairly easy monsters.

Despise upstairs is good with lizard and below are ettins and earth eles to play with.

Shame first level is full of earth eles. Don't forget to loot the gems, there light, stack and worth some gold on NPC vendors.

Overland just kill every monster you come across.Every coin counts!

Get those skills up while adventuring. You need to be good to fight the better monsters for the better items.

Also have a look in Heartwood for LRC. People sometimes leave bags with items from the crafting quests they don't want.

Every time you find a LRC item, keep it and when you find a better one then replace it.

L

logicbox9

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm on the Pacific shard. Right now my mage template is:

Eval Int
Focus
Meditation
Magery
Anatomy
Swordsmanship
Tactics

I

imported_ParadoxUO

Skills:
Magery Meditation IntEval
Necrom. Spirit Speak
Focus first and once you have some friends to help you... Spellweaving.

Items:
100% LRC
later, slayer spellbooks and sdi items...

Char. range:
You can do anything, go anywhere... basically you are a walking powerhouse.
Able to heal, do massive dmg, and buff/debuff...

Let me know if you come to Catskills.

C

Clextor

Pacific huh? The Guardians of Light (GoL) are a honor guild and will help guide you. Finding a peep, or a group of peeps helps. The reason I say this is that they will guide you and support you and be there to rez you as you get used to life without training wheels.

Also, I always have a tablet near my computer to make a list of notes/things to focus on. When I wake up in the morning, I have no idea what I was thinking the night before.

Good luck to you. Build those skills.
Clex

G

Keeping a writing tablet close is a great tip. I have a nice little spiral bound notebook for taking notes. Some pages are just random notes, others have the math for my character's LRC suits on them. I even have a page of all the gardening maladies and their cures. =)

I also like to write little reference guides using the in-game books. I did this with the gardening, and it's a really quick way to find the right potion for an ailing plant. Fun too since mages usually like books, if you're into RP at all. =)

You can use the Spectral Spellbinders in New Haven for working on Resisting Spells. Everytime you try casting a spell, you can gain in Evaluating Intelligence, so keep on casting those spells!

You should be able to get LRC pieces easily...I was able to find many good pieces just laying around the bank in New Haven. Within a couple of weeks, I found some IDOC loot that was left behind, and sorted out enough pieces for *two* full suits! I've not got much else yet, but I'm thrilled to have these. You can read about IDOCs in the Homes and Castles Forum.

Remember to Insure your good LRC pieces right away...that way you won't lose them if you die. I lost some nice items while marking some runes. I recalled into an unknown location that ended up being a dangerous one! I had not bothered to insure my items as I thought I was only going to safe spots, hehe.