• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New video card lag? NVIDIA

Z

Zyron

Okay so i got this brand new video card..

Now whenever i play UO, with any program running, i lag and my screen waves.

Most noticeable, is with UOAM, whenever i try to run map, it works, but it just lags me to the point i cant even pvp with my guild anymore.

What should I do?
I was told my computer might need more RAM, i have 512 MB right now.
I dont want to buy more if it wont even help

so..
Help?

S

Sweeney

Update your drivers, make sure the card is set to "Let the program decide" how to utilize the card.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still suggest getting more RAM.

I base that on them saying you might need more RAM and you noticing the lag after installing the card. Also because 512 isn't much at all. But of course try updating by going to this website first:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Just because the CD installed the drivers doesn't mean they don't have new ones out. They update the new cards very often.

U

UOKaiser

Okay so i got this brand new video card..

Now whenever i play UO, with any program running, i lag and my screen waves.

Most noticeable, is with UOAM, whenever i try to run map, it works, but it just lags me to the point i cant even pvp with my guild anymore.

What should I do?
I was told my computer might need more RAM, i have 512 MB right now.
I dont want to buy more if it wont even help

so..
Help?
Which nvidia card you installed?

B

Beer_Cayse

First, system RAM is not that expensive. Bump yours as high as the motherboard and pocketbook will allow. You'd be surprised ... 2GB would most likely be quite effective.

Second, make sure you have updated drivers for the card. You might have just pulled it from the package, but I bet the drivers are more then 3 months old. There may have been an update after the CD was burned. Check nVidia site for updates specific to your card.

NOTE: Be wary of Microsoft updates to the drivers - especially with onboard vidcards. In some cases networking and video drivers are a package for the mobo chipset and loading the MS update will break things - forcing reinstall from vendor CD.

B

Beer_Cayse

I have the same chipset (8400 GS) on an Asus-labeled card. There is a more current driver.

Z

Zyron

which ones do i have to do? i got the 191 one released on october 5th
anymore?

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, how big a power supply do you have? I recommend at least 450w for a video card that size.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aww, I had a mental image of a power supply with buttons and a screen that I could use to do math.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HAHAHAA

If it wasnt so damn early, I might have posted a photoshopped power supply calulator...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Speaking of 8400 GS -

That's the chipset of my Dell laptop, and I've not been able to update it at all since I got it 2 years ago, and the driver was out of date then.

All attempts to update are being thwarted by the nvidia software saying that the computer manufacturer has chosen to provide updates - which it hasn't.

Any way to force it to install and accept the update (I can always roll it back after if it doesn' cut it)?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get the INF and SYS file from the installer, then go into the properties of the video card, and under the Driver tab, click Update Driver. Point it to the INF/SYS.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, what wulf said, and be ready to boot to safe mode and uninstall the video adapter if that goes south.