• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New UO Player Advice

C

connelld1965

Hello, I am new to UO and have tried a few types of characters and am settling on a Bard/Taming character becasue I want to explore the world and this seems like a fun way to do it. I am thinking about trying a 7 GM Spec and have a couple of questions. Will this spec work well and I am not sure what Strength/Dex/Magic would be good? ps. I looked at the stickies and the builds seem pretty advanced. I need something good for a brand new roaming around player. Mine is pretty close to some but splits more evenly between Taming and Music talents Not doing Fel with this guy until I get UO Assist becasue I am pretty sure I would get owned all the time.

Spec:

Str 100
Dex 25
Int 100

Magic 100
Animal Lore 100
Taming 100
Vet 100
Music 100
Descordance 100
Provocation 100

Figured I would run around and tame things, explore and try to get some gold for a crafter. Also, any tips would be great!

D

Demoquin84

That template would be good to start with but as you advance you are going to need 120 PS for all music skills and taming is debatable. You may want to drop Provoke to raise the skills on all others. Discord is wonderful for a tamer as it increases the pets effectiveness.

You will need at least a 110 PS for Taming and Lore for the Greater Dragons (105.6), if you don't care for it then can go with less. Also Elves are able to tame Cu Sidhe which take around 102 taming.

Could run around with 10 DEX and hope that you have some stamina or regen on suit. Try to aim for 115+ HPs and mana.

C

connelld1965

That template would be good to start with but as you advance you are going to need 120 PS for all music skills and taming is debatable. You may want to drop Provoke to raise the skills on all others. Discord is wonderful for a tamer as it increases the pets effectiveness.

You will need at least a 110 PS for Taming and Lore for the Greater Dragons (105.6), if you don't care for it then can go with less. Also Elves are able to tame Cu Sidhe which take around 102 taming.

Could run around with 10 DEX and hope that you have some stamina or regen on suit. Try to aim for 115+ HPs and mana.
Thanks so much! I will try for that and when I get my skills up more I will switch provoke to wrestling to get strength up then phase out provoke.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im sure if you ask the Imbuers on your shard they could even make you up a ring and watch that would help you big time.

so say you take all your skills to GM.

then you get some gold and get some +10 or +15 or even +20 scrolls in the main fields (taming, lore, disco, music)

then you could just stay at GM with the skills and use the ring and watch to punch your toon up to the high levels.

what we call Twink Tamers (or in this case, a Twink Tamer/Bard)

heck, let me know what shard your on, ill make you a ring and watch.
they cost next to nothing.
couple star satphires and some essence.

if you dont need fast cast or fast cast recovery then you could use the ring and watch totally for skills.

just a thought.

and wow, new toon going into taming.
that is a hard skill to do right out of the gate.
but a fun one!

C

connelld1965

im sure if you ask the Imbuers on your shard they could even make you up a ring and watch that would help you big time.

so say you take all your skills to GM.

then you get some gold and get some +10 or +15 or even +20 scrolls in the main fields (taming, lore, disco, music)

then you could just stay at GM with the skills and use the ring and watch to punch your toon up to the high levels.

what we call Twink Tamers (or in this case, a Twink Tamer/Bard)

heck, let me know what shard your on, ill make you a ring and watch.
they cost next to nothing.
couple star satphires and some essence.

if you dont need fast cast or fast cast recovery then you could use the ring and watch totally for skills.

just a thought.

and wow, new toon going into taming.
that is a hard skill to do right out of the gate.
but a fun one!
Thanks for the advice! I play on Atlantic and my character's name is "Traveler." There is so much to learn about the game. I took 50 taming / 50 magery to start. I also figured out I could do Arms Lore and Mining to raise Int/STR and got them to 100 last night.

Tamed my first animal. A puppy around New Haven and he did really well against goats. Seems like the newbie island is not that good for tamer skills because I don't see any bonus increases. I appreciate your posts. They were one of the main reasons I decided to make a Bard/Tamer my main character. :thumbup1:

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the advice! I play on Atlantic and my character's name is "Traveler." There is so much to learn about the game. I took 50 taming / 50 magery to start. I also figured out I could do Arms Lore and Mining to raise Int/STR and got them to 100 last night.

Tamed my first animal. A puppy around New Haven and he did really well against goats. Seems like the newbie island is not that good for tamer skills because I don't see any bonus increases. I appreciate your posts. They were one of the main reasons I decided to make a Bard/Tamer my main character. :thumbup1:
Dude, taming is a LONG road with jewels, accept whatever help you are offered! You wont be able to do too much until you get your first pair of Bake Kitsune.

Something that kept me motivated o my first tamer was this:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/anim.php

At the end of each taming session I'd check how close i was to my precious Ki-Rin :p

Days and days of taming polar bears!

Try to make some macros to help make your life easier too!

To be honest though, you eems VERY clued up for a new player! i was like a complete dunce!

Get some jewels!

C

connelld1965

Thanks for the advice. I saved up and bought a +13 ring and braclet. It makes taming faster as I fail less often.