• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New to Gardening, need tips

D

Demoquin84

I am new to gardening so i am wondering how would i set up getting seeds. I hear you need like 125 or so seeds with mothers and fathers and what not. IS there a basic system to get certain plants and then getting colors?

I pretty much need a guide on getting and setting up from scratch. Can anyone help?

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to gardening, it can become addicting lol

The Gardening FAQ contains all the information you should need to get you started, including the information about mothers and fathers and cross-pollinating. Just click the link or you can access it by the sticky at the top of the forum. Once you get started you might have other questions, but to get you started that should do it.

Good luck

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am new to gardening so i am wondering how would i set up getting seeds. I hear you need like 125 or so seeds with mothers and fathers and what not. IS there a basic system to get certain plants and then getting colors?

I pretty much need a guide on getting and setting up from scratch. Can anyone help?
Rule #1 for successful plant husbandry - have a GM alchemist with a metric buttload of regs on hand :sad3:

Rule #2 - start small - don't go for every possible combination up front. Work a few plants from start to finish, to get a feel for just what's involved in keeping your plants alive and vibrant. You'll need to develop a rhythm that's comfortable for you. Some of us like to "container" garden (garden out of packs kept on our person, or in our beetle), while others of us prefer the house lockdown method.

Once you have 1 and 2 down, then the info linked in Lady Laurel's post will more than help you grow and expand into plant growing. Beyond that, I think we'd all be glad to answer specific questions, or things that may be confusing in the FAQ.

D

DHMagicMan_1

For very basic gardening, I'd start out collecting 12-20 random seeds from boglings in Haven. Plant each of them and grow them out to Day 7 when they grow into their full plant image. Use the guide linked earlier to try crossing plants for colors or types, or let them self-polinate to get 8 labeled seeds of the color/type of the parent.

Start small and you will enjoy the variety. Post your shard and someone may be able to start you off with some seeds.

D

Demoquin84

I am on Atlantic. So if anyone wants to help out with some seeds or know of a seed vendor that would be great

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you use the classic client and have UOAssist, the 'use item once' function it makes it a lot less of a hassle and a lot less work to grow plants.

I currently have 60 plants on three characters that I log in for a growth step when inclined to do more than locked down house plants. All I have to do is open the plant bag (won't work otherwise), then add them to the use once agent list by clicking on the closed bag icon. With the middle mouse button set up to display the next plant tend window, all I have to do is click the middle button to get a plant window, left click where it needs tending, and right click to close the window. Repeat as needed until done. One of the best features of UOA if your inclined to grow your own. :)

The worst part of growing plants is the hassle of building up regeant vendor quantities and buying them at the right time. None of the vendors seem to restock at the same time.

Try buying several 10's of thousands of regeants (Nightshade & Garlic primarily). In my opinion doing this part is the true Trial By Fire
of Gardening. The rest is fun.

Plants grown in a characters backpack only do a growth check if the character is logged in and its been 23 hours since the last growth check. If you don't play every day, this is the way to go.

Plants locked down at a house do a growth check at each days morning maintenence period and have to be tended each day or they tend to become sick. It's more work this way but is more fun. :)

My setup is at the house just over the bridge south of Luna on Chessie if you want to check it out. Go up the center stairs and use the teleporter on the right side of the hearth to go up to the garden levels.

Have fun. :)