• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New T- Maps

W

WCK565

Ok .... is there any data base available on the new T- map locations ? If these are totally random I will be very UPSET !!!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Totally Random. For the next week or so, those that you looted before the publish, even if not yet decoded, will be for the existing sites.

W

WCK565

AARGH !!! How could they do this . Are they trying to totally drive away ther player base !?!?

B

Beer_Cayse

randomized ores, randomized wood, randomized T-maps. Welcome to UO where s**t is totally random - including ingame GM support.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats why its called Treasure "Hunting" and not treasure recalling. :)

L

Lokida

It takes me maybe 10 minutes to locate it, recall/portal there and poke around the ground a few times. I seriously don't see what all the whining is about. Only thing I have problems with is @ 105 I can't provoke the Ancient Wyrms on each other, or the Greater Dragons. Tried using jewlery to 115 still no luck. Aside from that I'm having a blast and always seem to get a Arti on the lv 6.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lokida, I only succeed provoing 2 AW on each other about 10% of the time at 120 music & 120 provo, with a reptile slayer instrument....

I don't mind the randomness as much as the fact that the maps are so hard to find when you get to the area, because of the foliage (it's almost impossible to target some chests in the EC with a pick, and the CC isn't much better - I've been using both for my maps).

The plan to "bring T-hunting templates back" by adding mining as bing important did the exact opposite - it just made even MORE people use soulstone swapping methods.

They REALLY need to give us the Turkey event of last year's map location finding routine, for T-maps (that was what it was being tested for, dammit!) and leave the mining as simply a "dig farther away" bonus.

And, would it hurt to change imbuing to where you could alter the properties on a 6-property item, even if you can't add a 6th to an item, so long as the intensity still had to remain below 500? Or for that matter, make T-map items be 500 max intensity across the board if imbued?

quadspeed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi ! i got 120 peace and provoke ! i cant do either on A/W s
or so seldom its not worth it ! i just use my tamer to kill em with g/dragon !

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
luckily my Provo is on my Tamer with his GD- I dig with my third account's T-hunter, invis, then use the tamer/Bard - I provo a balron or elemental (titans don't last long enough) onto an AW, then have the GD attack the AW.

G

GreekHero

Yeah as a provoker mage you can can solo up to lvl 5. I think lvl 6 needs two characters to be successful.

W

WCK565

" Map recalling " sounds pretty good to me ! I have only been able to do 1 new map so far ( and u can believe I marked that spot !!!)

I dont even bother doing Lv 6 anymore , guess I may have to make a Tamer for those . I have a Mage and was just using EV's for the spawn and yes I have a Dragon slayer spellbook ...

Lokida ... how do u manage finding map site in 10 mins ?? Do u have UO GPS ??

L

Lokida

Lokida, I only succeed provoing 2 AW on each other about 10% of the time at 120 music & 120 provo, with a reptile slayer instrument....
Well I guess I don't feel so bad now..except for the fact I really need to get up my music and provo to legendary.

L

Lokida

Lokida ... how do u manage finding map site in 10 mins ?? Do u have UO GPS ??
I'm not sure. I don't do anything special except that I have become really good at noticing the the tiniest difference on a map. So many times because the map is at 45 degree angle you can actually be totally digging in the wrong spot. I know there is a way to change it in your maplua.file from = 45 and change it to = 0 instead but I cant seem to get it to save lol. I would say 9-10 maps I'm digging first hit. But every once in a while I can be looking for 15 min then I'm like omg...I was totally off, and it's always my fault for not looking at the map close enough. I do have GM mining and I always take my brother. We are looking for a 3rd to consistently want to do maps with us because niether of us are tamers. I'm on Cats if anyone wants to hook up. Oh and I use zero, nada for 3rd party programs cuz I don't run the CC anymore just the EC.

W

WCK565

How many squares " bonus " does GM MIning add to digging up chests ? 5? 8?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm getting better at finding the locations. Bearing in mind they're not actually at the point of the pin. Sometimes I find it useful to print screen and zoom into the map in a graphics program to see the details more clearly.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of is a lot of practice. The more maps you do the better you will get at finding them. Sometimes i look at a map. Then go to the area and i'm almost on top of the chest.

W

WCK565

Holes

Remember that movie " Holes " I think it was called ! Life imitates fiction ! or maybe it should be online life ... DIG .... DIG ..... DIG .... DIG ... ad nauseum

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Re: Holes

What's ironic, is that it was Chrissay/Adida that did the code for the Turkey maps, in her own free time, and that when she, Draconi and others were released in the round of EA cost-cutting that hit shortly after the main post-release debug phase of SA, she hadn't transferred ownership of that coding to Mythic (and the coding was removed from the servers after the event).

So, if they tried to institute such a system now for treasure maps, they would have to reconstruct from scratch what she did in a substantially different manner, due to legal reasons.

W

WCK565

Getting a little better at finding the new maps ,but it takes way to long IMHO to make Lv 1- 3 maps economical to do ? What does everyone else think ??

U

unified

Glad you are getting better.

The other irony here is that it is encouraged that you do T-Maps with a group because it's fun. Well, people found the loot so bad that no one wanted to be in the group because it was not worthwhile. Now, the loot is better, but no one wants to wait so long for you to find the treasure. :)

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting a little better at finding the new maps ,but it takes way to long IMHO to make Lv 1- 3 maps economical to do ? What does everyone else think ??
I find them pretty fast and I definitely think they are worth doing...at least level 2 and above.

My macro for finding them looks like this...
Use Shovel
Target Map
Target Relative Location.

I just run around like a chicken with my head cut off in the general area hitting that macro till I get a message that says something like "you moved and must start again"

I just did 2 Expertly Drawn Malas Maps in about 15 minutes total. That is 20k plus 4 essences (conservatively priced at 5-10k each forget which type I got) plus a bunch of residue (about 200) from unravelling the low end magic items plus the other stuff in the chests (reags, jewels etc)

SO I think they are pretty economical to do. But it depends on how fast you get and what you consider economical. I could easily see an experienced thunter clearing 200k an hour just doing expertly drawn maps. I am still stuck in the old days so I think anything 50k and over an hour is fantastic.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I devised a way to find the maps that works for me. It's not very scientific, so I don't really feel it qualifies as something I can put on Stratics, but I did document it for a friend if you want to try it.
Finding Maps

B

Beer_Cayse

nice docs, Petra ... and appears to be damned accurate as well.

U

unified

I devised a way to find the maps that works for me...
You know, it would be interesting to know what whomever developed this new treasure hunting thing uses as a means of finding the treasure chest --- WITHOUT USING ANOTHER PROGRAM OUTSIDE OF OU.

Unlike others here, I can't really solo and I generally only go T-Hunting with my mother. Now, she lacks the patience of "searching for the spot" and so do I after trying to find a level 2 spot for eight hours and straining my eyes trying to find details. Using runes may have seemed too easy for some, but it still took about five minutes for me to find the exact spot then. It did not make fighting the spawn any easier for us before these changes, and we were doing it for the fun rather than the miserable loot back then.

I really do like the fact that the maps will be for random locations, but I really did think that there would be some form of trade-off to aid in finding them --- not make them really easy to find, but at least giving you some kind of assistance. Mining skill and outside programs and screen tweaking should not a requirement.:sad3:

I do think it makes sense that someone digging up something should be skilled in mining. I have to now think hard about whether I want to go through the utter frustration of training mining AGAIN to add it to an already crowded template. It will take me months to gain that skill with the limited time. I'm thinking I might just drop T-Hunting completely.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, my hubby doesn't use any other program. He's stubborn that way. He works by going and finding the map first, stopping the digging and marking the location - for ilsh he simply names a random marked rune with the sextant co ordinates. Then later he will go dig the map with friends or, borrowing my pc when I've gone to bed, with his tamer and treasure hunter together.

Although if it took you five full minutes to find a map on a marked spot, perhaps you need to refine your searching technique a little.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, it would be interesting to know what whomever developed this new treasure hunting thing uses as a means of finding the treasure chest --- WITHOUT USING ANOTHER PROGRAM OUTSIDE OF UO.
I have heard of people using in-game local maps to narrow down the spot.
Not sure how effective that is.

But the one thing I do have to say about the difficulty in finding maps is, the experienced t-hunter might become a viable profession! I am talking about a guy who can look at a map in-game and go, "yeah sure I know where that is...I can find it in a jiff. Now lets talk contract price!" The more fly-by-night "I am in it for the loot and want it fast and easily as possible" types will not stick with it. It could possibly create an atmosphere of barter, trade, interaction that was seen back in the old crafting days, and somewhat revived with custom imbuing orders. We just have to wait and see.

PS. As for training mining, as things stand I almost think it necessary skill, and remember to use mining gloves for +5 skill and hold jacobs pickaxe for another +10 in mining skill, and GM may not be necessary you might be able to get away with a lower skill count and find your sweet spot on your template.

U

unified

...Although if it took you five full minutes to find a map on a marked spot, perhaps you need to refine your searching technique a little.

Well! No wonder I could not find the spot. There is a Keep sitting on top of it. I didn't think the Keep was on top of it until I read where others are getting maps with locations in the ocean, etc. I'm sure they're going to fix this, aren't they? :)

The map in the EC is good enough for me to see comparable detail. All I have to do is tilt my head. When the vertigo settles, I might be able to find it ...

U

unified

My macro for finding them looks like this...
Use Shovel
Target Map
Target Relative Location.

I just run around like a chicken with my head cut off in the general area hitting that macro...
Thanks, Tully.

Found my first map. I do have a rune to the location since I decoded it prior to the changes, but I wanted to see if I could find it on my own. It's Level 1, but I was only doing it test finding it. I'll go back later to dig it up. :)

Patience truly is a virtue.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AARGH !!! How could they do this . Are they trying to totally drive away ther player base !?!?
It actually is an improvement to randomize treasure locations. Treaure hunting was kindof ridiculous with all those rune library. If you play for adventure and not for items, that is.

Mind that they also improve the value of treasure chest loot significantly. It seems only logical that searching for a level 6 treasure isn't a solo-5-minute business anymore. By the way, you now also have to kill the guarding monsters before you can open the chest.

Too difficult for you? Try lower level treasure maps!