• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(NEW) Soulstone FAQ

• Thread starter T_Amon_from_work
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
T

T_Amon_from_work

This is fairly long, but consolidates a thread of many messages into one concise document. As far as I can tell ATM, this answer 99% of anything regarding soulstones or fragments.

T'Amon
=====

Soulstone and Fragment Introduction:
Unless otherwise noted, full-sized soulstones and fragments work exactly the same way. The use of “soulstone” also applies to fragments for ease of writing this.

Soulstones were released when?
<points up above>
Green full-sized soulstone – UO Samurai Empire
Blue full-sized soulstone – UO 8th Anniversary Edition
Red full-sized soulstone – 1st year Veteran Reward

Soulstone fragment – gift via token on holidays (Christmas twice)
Crafted Soulstone Fragment - Requires Stygian Abyss Expansion
Glassblowing skill, single use, resources required: 2 Void Essence, 2 Crystal Granules.

How do these things work?
To place a skill on a stone:
1. Set the skill on your scroll to down.
2. Double-click an empty soulstone.
3. Activate the stone and choose the skill from the list presented.
4. Confirm the activation and your skill is now zero on the scroll, but all points are on the stone.

To flush a skill:
1. Double-click a stone that has the skill on it – the stone has a flashing glow.
2. Select the option to “Remove the skill” from the stone.
3. Confirm the removal and the skill is gone.

To “pull” a skill:
1. Insure the character you want has enough REAL skill points to absorb 100% of the skill on the stone. Set the skill lock to the up position for that skill.
2. Double-click the stone and select the “Activate” option.
3. If everything is as required, the stone is now empty and the skill is on the character.

Note: Pulling a skill will set a timer on a full soulstone that will disallow usage for 24 hours. A fragment will use a charge when pulling a skill. Not so with the other things.

I found a copy of UOSE and the promo code has not been used!! Is it still good?
Believe it or not, yes. As of may 10, 2006 the following was known and has not been changed:
= = = =
(From Wilki, UO Community Coordinator at the time) - 05/10/06 11:37 PM

All tokens and codes should work forever, unless we specify otherwise.

An exception would be the 8th Age promo CODE. It used to create a blue soulstone token, but no longer does so. However, you still get all the other goodies from the code.

Any existing blue soulstone TOKENS will work indefinitely as well. Note the 8th Age advisory!!

I see the term “flush” when talking about soulstones. What does that mean?
Soulstones can store a skill. Flushing the stone means that you double-click it and elect to use the “remove the skill from the stone” option, rather than reclaiming the skill to a character.

Note: Fragment charges are NOT used in a flush. Full soulstone 24-hour timer is NOT activated when flushing a skill.

How many skills can I store in a Soulstone or fragment?
Soulstones can only hold 1 skill at a time. If you have multiple soulstones then 1 skill each.

A fragment has charges ... can they be recharged?
Fragments cannot be recharged. Once the charges are gone, it's decoration. A charge is NOT used if you dump a skill into it and then flush the skill off.

My soulstone disappeared when I customized my house!
Open your house sign and check the moving crate. Even when locked and secured in a house, customization dumps the soulstones into the crate.

Can I trade a soulstone to another player?
Why can’t I sell/trade soulstones to others?
IF you have no need of the soulstone and the other player wants it for decoration, then yes.

IF the intent is for the other player to be able to fully utilize the soulstone, then no.

Is there a difference between a green and blue soulstone?
Not in functionality - they work the same. There may be differences in price because the green version came first and may be rarer. You cannot tell whether a token will produce a green or blue stone.

Can I use more than one soulstone one after another?
Yes, but before using the Same soulstone you must wait 24 hours before reusing. But if you have 6 soulstones, you can transfer 6 skills every 24 hours.

Couldn't someone use a soulstone to easily gm a skill. Gain 50 pt, put on stone. Gain 50 more , add together?
No - the skill pulled from the stone is full replacement for whatever is already in the skill scroll. If a char has 45 Resisting Spells and pulls 55 from a stone, they will have 55 not 100.

I own two accounts, can I use the soulstone to move skills between my own characters on different accounts?
No, the soulstone is account specific and you cannot move skills between two accounts even if you own both of them.

I read that you can use soulstones to make your character a blacksmith one day and a warrior the next (ie. switch back and forth between two professions), how do I flip-flop between two skills with a soulstone?
This is a somewhat misleading statement that was originally put out with soulstones. A soulstone only holds one skill at a time, so to flip-flop between two skills there are two possible methods:

Method one - The Two Soulstone Method:
Say you want your character to be a smith one day and a fisherman the next, but do not have room for both skills at the same time (if you had room you wouldn't need a soulstone!). You would store blacksmith on one stone and fishing on the other, to go from fisherman to smith you would store fishing on stone A and add smithing from stone B. To switch back, put smithing back on stone B add fishing from stone A.

Method two - The Two Character Method:
This assumes you have only one soulstone and you have another character with room to hold BOTH skills at once. Remove fishing from character A, store it on the soulstone. Log in character B (the one with room to hold skills) and move fishing to character B. Then 24 hours later move smithing from character B to the soulstone, log in character A, take the smithing skill from the soulstone to character A.

To switch back, remove smithing from A to the soulstone. Move smithing from soulstone to B. Wait 24 hours. Move fishing from B to the soulstone, then fishing from soulstone to A.

I only have one soulstone and none of my characters have room to store skills, what the heck good is this thing?
The main use for soulstones, if you haven't got any room for skill storage on other characters and only have one soulstone is to give you a backup for trying new skills.

Say that I have a mage with the wrestling skill, and all her skill points used. I want to try swords on her instead of wrestling, but just in case I don't like it, I don't want to have to work wrestling all the way back up again. I can store wrestling and pick up swords. If I like swords I can flush the stone to use it for something else. If I don't like swords after all I can set it to drop, use the soulstone, and be right back to where I was before without having to redo wrestling.

I didn't pre-order either of the editions with the soulstones, how do I get one now?
You can find players selling the tokens for soulstones either at popular banks or on player vendors. They tend to be expensive because they came as a limited-time offer. Note that, as mentioned above, only the tokens will create soulstones you can use, an actual soulstone or soulstone fragment is account specific and if traded would only be decoration and not usable.

Someone gave/traded me a token for a soulstone but I can't use it!
Your account must be upgraded to the Samurai Empire expansion to use soulstones or redeem the tokens for them. The 8th Age promo codes will work if you are UOSE upgraded – even if not 8th Age upgraded.

I have a character with all skill points used. I want to move a skill to her with the soulstone, and take points from several different areas, how do I do it?
Say you have a character with all skill points used, you want to move a skill to her. But instead of dropping all of one current skill you want to take 10 points from skill A, 15 from skill B, 10 from skill C, etc. When you use a soulstone it will lower a skill set to go down all the way to 0 before dropping any other skills set to go down.

So, to take points from multiple areas you will need to make room. The easiest way is to do it one skill at a time beforehand. Set skill A to go down, go find an npc to train you in something you don't have, make sure the skill they train is set to go up. 100 gp gets you 10 skill points in whatever the npc is training you in.

Use the menu on the npc to select "train ____", give them 100 gold. Lock skill A. Set skill B to go down, repeat this process with a different npc trained skill until all original skills are at the levels you want.

Now set the skills you just trained to go down, use the soulstone, they will all drop back to 0, leaving you with the new skill and your old skills dropped appropriately.

Can I store a skill at over GM? Can I reclaim those points with a different character?
Yes, a skill that is over 100 points but the character you attempt to reclaim those points with must have used a Power Scroll to bring their cap to at least the level that is on the stone.

If you are not able to get the scroll for the other character, or unable to put the skills back on the original character, the only way to use the Soul Stone again would be to flush away the hard-earned points that were stored there to begin with...

In short, be very careful

Does using a soulstone remove what is on it if not flushed, or is a soulstone with GM magery for example permanent until flushed?
If you load Magery on a soulstone (or fragment) any of your characters on that account may pull that skill off the stone (emptying it). A skill remains on the stone until flushed - or pulled onto a character.

Is there a soulstone that will work between two accounts?
No, there is not.

I have a second account that has rewards left. I see that one of the choices is a Red Soulstone. I assume that they (a) do not have a limited amount of charges and (b) that when I select it I will get a token that I can transfer to my primary account? Is that correct?
a) They are a full soulstone – no charges, but the 24-hour timer. Same as green or blue ones.
b) This is a stone – not a token, so no you will NOT beable to trade it off.

The soulstone is in my backpack and says it's blessed. How do I access it with other characters on the same account? Can it be locked down in a house?
The best way to share a soulstone with other character is to lock it down in the house or keep it in a secure container acessible to owners only (character on same account as house owner are automatically owners too).

My question is, if you use a soulstone, and the character is decked out to the nines with recipes, for say carpentry, or tailoring, don't you lose those when you dump the skill on the soulstone?
A character without carpentry will NOT lose recipes and crafting books he "ate" but won't be able to use any ability requiring carpentry until he gets it back to required level (I keep swapping one GM carpentry between my tailor-tinker-miner-alchemist-smith and my lumberjack-bowyer).

Also, should that skill actually be used on another character temporarily, unless that character has the same recipes or books as the first one, they will not be able to craft anything but the basic items.

Can you overwrite a soulstone? I just want to purge myself of focus quickly. Once the stone has it can another character overwrite the stone with another skill?
See “How do these things work?” and the section on “flushing”.

I have moved shards and want to move GM magery from a character on Shard A to another character on Shard B (same account). I do not have a soustone yet (but I can get one or two using vet rewards). Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it?
You could ask someone VERY trustworthy to carry the stone for you.
Acquire stone on shard A, put magery on it, hand it to someone who is going to transfer to shard B, receive stone on shard B and unload skill on that shard.

If you ask me, it's not worth the hassle. I'd train magery again instead.

X

xNadiax

Ok, just one question to add to this list...

Lets say your a young account, can you use any soulstone or do you have to wait till one year?

Thanks in advance

N

Nenime

You can use the Veteran Reward Soulstone obviously only when you're account has the proper age. But the Soulstone acquired through Legacy Token can be used right away - no matter the account age.

B

Bara

I have a question regarding red soulstones.

It says that they cannot be traded, but I found one on a vendor for 500 gold.

I figured it would be nice deco, so I nabbed it, but how was this possible?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What is meant by "They cannot be traded" is "The stone is only usable by the account that claimed it". You can loot one from an IDOC or buy one from someone, but it will only be deco for you.

B

Bara

Thank you Basara.

It's good to know nothing glitchy is going on. I'll just enjoy my deco and then in ten months, I'll be able to get a functional Soulstone from my vet rewards.

E

eurin

Can you still redeem promo codes for Samurai Empire pre-order to get a soulstone?

T

T_Amon_from_work

From the FAQ:
===
Believe it or not, yes. As of may 10, 2006 the following was known and has not been changed:
= = = =

An exception would be the 8th Age promo CODE. It used to create a blue soulstone token, but no longer does so. However, you still get all the other goodies from the code.

Any existing blue soulstone TOKENS will work indefinitely as well. Note the 8th Age advisory!!
======
It's about 1/2 way down in the FAQ.

Scar Steel

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the FAQ:
===
= = = =

======
It's about 1/2 way down in the FAQ.

I just used an old UOSE promo code. It did work except that instead of giving me an entire soulstone, it only gave me a token for a Blue Soulstone Fragment.

Should I have gotten a token for a fragment or an entire stone?
Thanks Scar Steel of Atlantic

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unsure - you may wish to contact customer support.

I can't remember if the SE promo code was time restricted for getting a soulstine from.

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
??? Can i use a my many soul stones to get a ggs gain multiple times in a play session by moveing a skill from one character to another???

Say Animal Tame skill i have it at 95+ and its just to slow to train can i move it from character to character and gain that much needed .1 many times in a day or is the ggs bound to the skill not the character?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think, but not sure, that the effect of putting the skill onto a character acts as a "gain" and resets your GGS counter.

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanx for the reply and you might be right fact is i think you are. Believe i tryed to do this once before and have just forgotten the results, eh my stones are mostly all free i should give it a go and check.

LittleSkyWalker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if this design is intended

Apparently after the recent patch (my account is UOSA with classic client) my full version soulstone (I have tried with all three version, green, blue and red) able to reuse it without 24 hours timer restriction.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As it turns out this was an intended change, as of right now there is no intention of putting a timer back in according to Chrissay.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anybody have a link to the post where it was stated the timer removal was intended? Thanks :)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool now people will just abuse templates and I can switch from dexxer to parry mage and go PK people real quick like.

Z

Zhao_Yun

I love the fact that the soul stone dosent have a timer no more I switch my skills around as much as I want.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking about claiming one of my veteran rewards for a red soulstone. I went through the reward gump to the point of claiming the soulstone but noticed that the warning message mentioned something about the soulstone being connected to that character. Here's my question: even though that particular character claimed the reward, any character on the same account on the same shard as the claiming char can access/use the red soulstone, right?

Thanks!

T

Tazar

I was thinking about claiming one of my veteran rewards for a red soulstone. I went through the reward gump to the point of claiming the soulstone but noticed that the warning message mentioned something about the soulstone being connected to that character. Here's my question: even though that particular character claimed the reward, any character on the same account on the same shard as the claiming char can access/use the red soulstone, right?

Thanks!
Correct. The soulstone is claimed by that character and usable on that account - even if you transfer it to another shard.

The warning came about because prior soulstones were given in token form and the token could be traded and used by any account. The vet reward version comes as a soulstone and is instantly bound to the account. The warning is still confusing though...

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
cool - thanks Tazar!

Correct. The soulstone is claimed by that character and usable on that account - even if you transfer it to another shard.

The warning came about because prior soulstones were given in token form and the token could be traded and used by any account. The vet reward version comes as a soulstone and is instantly bound to the account. The warning is still confusing though...

B

Beer_Cayse

A couple changes to information here:
1. 24-hour timer when using a soulstone is not in effect any more as a result of Stygian Abyss expansion. Also mentioned in one of the subthreads here (with a link in it as well!)

2. Purchase of a Legacy Token (US$9.99) from the EA Gamecode Store will allow you to choose a green soulstone as 1 of the possible items.