• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New PVP thief in need of a temp

Antmf712

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just as title says i am new to game and thief and wan to pvp with him. Can anyone recommend a good pvp temp for me? Thanks...

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you elaborate on how you want to engage in pvp? Essentially any action taken by a thief is player vs player.

Antmf712

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you elaborate on how you want to engage in pvp? Essentially any action taken by a thief is player vs player.
Well I would like to have Good survivability. I know that as a thief YOu can't be both a thug and a thief but was thinking of going poison on my thief with maybe fencing. I don't know like I said I am a noob so not sure which is best. Thanks.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer 4/6 casting with spellweaving and chivalry but I'm very comfortable being spell oriented. Are you playing siege or prodo?

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have friends and can get a spellweaving focus, try something with wrestling/ninjitsu/spellweaving/chivalry/stealth/stealing/hiding/focus. In a running away situation, 4/6 casting can keep you alive. Wrestling stun and disarm are invaluable tools for escape and attack. And you can throw a bola at a single aggressor, summon a swarm of pixies instantly and often kill the target by creative use of disarm/stun and ninja stars.

Edit: this build is not for amateur pvpers. It's expensive to properly build, difficult to execute, and requires you to be comfortable with an unusual combination of skills. The thieves that can run this template well are typically serious pvpers. Exact skill numbers are based on your specific play style and how aggressive you intend to play.

F

Francois_Villon

wrestling/ninjitsu/spellweaving/chivalry/stealth/stealing/hiding/focus.
And you can throw a bola at a single aggressor, summon a swarm of pixies instantly and often kill the target by creative use of disarm/stun and ninja stars.
I don't get it.

If you're just going to kill a random guy and loot him....

And I say random because he couldn't POSSIBLY be a solid mark because you don't have snooping therefore you do NOT know if he has anything even LOOTABLE forget about STEALABLE.....

Then why even bother with calling this a thief template.

This temp is a long and hard way to kill someone JUST to loot them and has the Stealing skill just to be able to claim "hey I'm a thief".

The only way I see it being a legit deal is if your whole gig is pulling off random/blind steals and being able to defend and kill if you go grey.

Don't get me wrong:
I am intrigued by integrating spellweaving into a thief template. But for me to agree in this case, I'd have to see Snooping added. Maybe in place of focus?

I dunno.

:confused:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Here's my nox thief template. It's meant for stealing and survivability, not for killing and looting.

Template

120 Fencing
110 Ninjitsu
110 Stealing (80 real)
100 Hiding
100 Snooping (90 real)
95 Magery
80 Stealth (40 real)
80 Poisoning

Skills

Magery - I initially tried chivalry, but eventually dropped it for magery for the following reasons. First, I can near insta-heal/cure with only 2/6 (as opposed to 4/6 with chiv). Second, the teleport and invisibility spells are lifesavers, as you can cast them while visible and/or aggro'd. Third, if I see a bot on a track, I can mark a rune to return later. Fourth, I can gate for team stealing. Lastly, incognito/polymorph aren't especially useful, but they can be fun sometimes. :)

Ninjitsu - In my mind, ninjitsu is indispensable, for several reasons:

1) Shadowjump. The number one thief killer, in my mind, is passive reveal. If you stealth up to an elf, you have an over 50% chance to be passive revealed, and your outlook's not too bright against humans and gargoyles, either. As soon as you're revealed, you can expect an "all kill." However, with shadowjump, you never need risk passive reveal: just shadowjump next to your target. Also, shadowjumping doesn't count as movement, so it won't close the packs you've snooped. Once you get the hang of it, you can shadow jump to every player at a champ, open all their packs, and sit back and watch for the best scroll. Shadow jump is also a way to avoid being hit/revealed by earthquake/meteor strike, as shadowjump casts much faster than those two spells.

2) Wolf form. Besides giving you increased movement speed, wolf form gives you +20 hp. As soon as you make a steal, hit wolf form and run for it. Once you're in the clear, just hide and stealth away at mounted speed. Unless I get trapped in paralyze fields, I'm never, ever killed in wolf form.

3) Shurikens. Kill bots and supposed "PvPers" who like to shoot arrows at people from within the safety of their houses.

4) Smoke bombs. If someone is flagging you, you cannot hide without them.

5) Death strike. The further they run, the quicker they die.

Suit

My suit includes: Burglar's Bandana, Pendant of the Magi, Shadow Dancer Leggings, Quiver of Infinity, Totem of the Void, Ornament of the Magician, Cloak of Silence, and an imbued ring (15 hci, 3 fcr, 20 lrc, 15 fire, 7 cold), as well as custom gloves, arms, and tunic. When I cast gate travel, I throw on the Conjurer's Grimoire to bring me to 110 magery. When I'm killing a bot, I replace my totem of the void with the Conjurer's Trinket to increase my damage and hci. The suit was surprisingly easy to piece together (on Europa, no less) and has 100 lrc, 2/6, 30 lmc, and all 60s.

Affiliation

As far as a thief guild . . . there's no better community than THIEF, in my view. Look here: UO Thief | The Unofficial Home of the Ultima Online Thief.

F

Francois_Villon

Template

120 Fencing
110 Ninjitsu
110 Stealing (80 real)
100 Hiding
100 Snooping (90 real)
95 Magery
80 Stealth (40 real)
80 Poisoning
This seems much more reasonable.

I'd tweak the ninja to 120 and the fencing down to 110.

It's defensive anyway, right?

And the shadow strike can save you if your smoke bomb macro gets wonky as well....

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Aye, you're probably right. Actually, I think that I split them 115/115 since I wrote this post originally.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't get it.

If you're just going to kill a random guy and loot him....

And I say random because he couldn't POSSIBLY be a solid mark because you don't have snooping therefore you do NOT know if he has anything even LOOTABLE forget about STEALABLE.....

Then why even bother with calling this a thief template.

This temp is a long and hard way to kill someone JUST to loot them and has the Stealing skill just to be able to claim "hey I'm a thief".

The only way I see it being a legit deal is if your whole gig is pulling off random/blind steals and being able to defend and kill if you go grey.

Don't get me wrong:
I am intrigued by integrating spellweaving into a thief template. But for me to agree in this case, I'd have to see Snooping added. Maybe in place of focus?

I dunno.

:confused:
my mistake. snooping is in the template. I simply failed to list it. The template I run for this involves a lot of skill gain items and enhanced after imbued armor to function.

The items included were burglar's bandana, 20 stealth cloak, 5 or 10 stealth robe, shadow dancer leggings, a djinni ring, ornament of the magician, inquistor's resolution gloves.

It's not for someone with small pockets.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a handful of variants of this template but here is the one I just happen to be on.

100 hiding
90 snooping (100 with bandana)
90 stealing (120 with leggings and bandana
40 Stealth (95 stealth, could be 100 if I use the 10 stealth robe)
75 Chivalry
105 Ninjitsu
100 spellweaving
120 wrestling

this one is using no focus but its wearing better regen gear. You must carry a box and pots but assuming you know how to pvp, you shouldnt be dying on this template.

F

Francois_Villon

POSTING THIS FOR JOHNNY
(since he got banned from Stratics b/c his last name is Hooker.. wtf?)

````````````````````````````````````````
120 Ninja
120 Stealing (just wanted to be legendary)
60 Stealth
110 Resist (+10 from Chest Piece and HPR 3)
100 Hiding
90 Snooping
80 Chivalry
40 Detect (just for fun)

HPR 4 clean Shame gloves
HPR 4 reforged arms (invigorating/defense FTW)
HPR 5 Voice of Fallen Kings (always wanted to use this one)
HPR 3 Shroud of Deceit [Replica] (would love real one)
HPR 2 Crimmy
=18

I have 2 imbued Djinni's rings that both are exactly the same:

Dex 5
Int 1
SDI 1
FCR 3
FC2

Blessed Orny

So total of 4/6 for the slow folks

And I use the classic pieces:
Shadow Dancer leggings
Burglers
Cloak of Silence
Royal Investigator Cloak
Ferret talisman

This last bit of info is what I really love:

The arms and gloves both have 15% Kinetic Eater each to reach the 30% cap.

Earthquake eater and it doesnt reveal when it converts to healing FTW...

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
POSTING THIS FOR JOHNNY
(since he got banned from Stratics b/c his last name is Hooker.. wtf?)

````````````````````````````````````````
120 Ninja
120 Stealing (just wanted to be legendary)
60 Stealth
110 Resist (+10 from Chest Piece and HPR 3)
100 Hiding
90 Snooping
80 Chivalry
40 Detect (just for fun)

HPR 4 clean Shame gloves
HPR 4 reforged arms (invigorating/defense FTW)
HPR 5 Voice of Fallen Kings (always wanted to use this one)
HPR 3 Shroud of Deceit [Replica] (would love real one)
HPR 2 Crimmy
=18

I have 2 imbued Djinni's rings that both are exactly the same:

Dex 5
Int 1
SDI 1
FCR 3
FC2

Blessed Orny

So total of 4/6 for the slow folks

And I use the classic pieces:
Shadow Dancer leggings
Burglers
Cloak of Silence
Royal Investigator Cloak
Ferret talisman

This last bit of info is what I really love:

The arms and gloves both have 15% Kinetic Eater each to reach the 30% cap.

Earthquake eater and it doesnt reveal when it converts to healing FTW...
I don't have any of the shame stuff incorporated on my suits right now. been too busy as of late to play too much with it.

F

Francois_Villon

The 2/3 rings are pretty sick.

Funny thing is no one cared about them and I picked them up remarkable cheap.

Got 2 dexxor versions for Johnny and an LRC one for me :)

Far as the Shame loot goes, I think the re-forging will honestly keep me from farming anymore.

Val hammers are too easy to get and the mods on what I'm getting, CLEAN, are far better than what I'd get from chain farming Shame/Wrong.

Will someone eventually get the best stuff in the game out of the new dungeons? Probably.

But I want to PLAY the game, not watch the screen while my sampire farms.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be sure you use as many items for skills as possible. IMO that is the major plus that prodo shards have over Siege (outside of the huge difference in populations). You have the availability of using these to really pump up your overall skill points to make some fun templates while not needing to worry about losing them.

Personally, I would dump all the offensive skills unless they provide you with a means to escape or stealth around (ninjar and fencing come to mind). I always had some chiv to move around with on prodo shards when I would play them so I could not bother with low level magery to travel or heal.

Band aids are your friend, and thus, being able to add ana and healing to your template are great additions to a thief who really wants to get away with the loot, or have prolonged chases...la

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be sure you use as many items for skills as possible. IMO that is the major plus that prodo shards have over Siege (outside of the huge difference in populations). You have the availability of using these to really pump up your overall skill points to make some fun templates while not needing to worry about losing them.

Personally, I would dump all the offensive skills unless they provide you with a means to escape or stealth around (ninjar and fencing come to mind). I always had some chiv to move around with on prodo shards when I would play them so I could not bother with low level magery to travel or heal.

Band aids are your friend, and thus, being able to add ana and healing to your template are great additions to a thief who really wants to get away with the loot, or have prolonged chases...la
I've always preferred more aggressive thief templates. from fencer thieves to disarm thieves to modern day thieves. A thief that can flip the script, is a thief to be reckoned with.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disarm thieves typically couldn't do much damage to their mark. All the disarming did was give you the chance to steal that vanq weapon someone was holding. The fact you needed to tie up your template with arms lore and wrestling to properly disarm, you didn't have much room for any offensive skills.

I will admit I was able to kill someone with my disarm thief, but that was more due to his stubbornness. The fight took place next to W Brit bank and every time the mark would reload from his bank box, I would steal it. This took place over 30 minutes. At the same time, I was poisoning and throwing punches, while stealing his heal regs and band aids. There should have been no way I could kill him, but over time, his desire to kill me is what allowed me to get him.

My preference to templates always lead me to a defensive one that would give me the best chances to evade as many as 10-20 unskilled players. Having an entire guild chasing and attempting to kill me was much more a rush than trying to stand around and getting killed while attempting to kill a mark...la

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here was my Siege temp:

120 Stealing
100 Snooping
100 Hiding
75 Stealth
120 Ninjitsu
99 Tracking
106 Magery

My old Napa temp had Poisoning & Fencing, but if I played again, I'd probably just copy my Siege build and add Forensic Evaluation of all things. I loved hunting people. Find out where people are, find out if they have something worth stealing, figure out the best way to steal it, and then do it. (If I got surrounded by 10 people I'd probably die a horrible death.)

I'm also the guy who thinks the first 2 acts of any movie are the best parts of the movie... so maybe that's just me.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disarm thieves typically couldn't do much damage to their mark. All the disarming did was give you the chance to steal that vanq weapon someone was holding. The fact you needed to tie up your template with arms lore and wrestling to properly disarm, you didn't have much room for any offensive skills.

I will admit I was able to kill someone with my disarm thief, but that was more due to his stubbornness. The fight took place next to W Brit bank and every time the mark would reload from his bank box, I would steal it. This took place over 30 minutes. At the same time, I was poisoning and throwing punches, while stealing his heal regs and band aids. There should have been no way I could kill him, but over time, his desire to kill me is what allowed me to get him.

My preference to templates always lead me to a defensive one that would give me the best chances to evade as many as 10-20 unskilled players. Having an entire guild chasing and attempting to kill me was much more a rush than trying to stand around and getting killed while attempting to kill a mark...la
A little magery always made a disarm thief perform better.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My siege temp, from memory so the exact number might be a little off(i swapped it around with soulstones as cases calle for it, but this was my generic one)
120 steal
110 magery
100 wrestle
100 snoop
100 hiding
80 stealth
60 med
50 necro

just wore simple barbed leather lrc suits and a ring+bracer with +13 med and +13 focus

some of them could be lower than they are but i didnt want 5 different levels of necro on soulstones to swap around depending on what i was doing. Was set up mostly for wraith form and disarm