• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Player FAQ (Update In Progress)

• Thread starter Lady Beth
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Lady Beth

One of the hardest parts in starting any RPG is deciding what kind of character you wish to play. Do you want to be a mage? What about a sword weilding warrior? Perhaps you can see yourself working over a hot forge as a blacksmith. You will find there are quite a few options for you in Ultima Online.

Stratics has a forum dedicated to each profession (skill class). Below I have linked to the FAQ for each profession. Take the time to read through them if you are undecided on which type of character you want to play. You may also find some good information on improving your skills in that profession.

UO Adventurer - Those that wish to see all they can.

UO Alchemist - Throw those Purple Potions!

UO Archer - There is something magical about an arrow in flight.

UO Assassin - Those that live in shadows and poison their enemies.

UO Bard - Who needs a sword when you have a lute?

UO Beggar - Got any spare change?

UO Carpenter - The joys of creating with wood.

UO Chef - Somebody has to do all the cooking.

UO Fisher - The sea, a ship, and a pole. Life is good.

UO Gardener - Time to grow the plants everybody loves.

UO Healer - You got a boo boo? Let me fix it.

UO Mage - Cast a spell to heal or destroy. The choice is yours.

UO Merchant - Come and Sell your wares.

UO Miner - Pull the metal out of the mountain. Blacksmiths need it.

UO Murderer - Because sometimes a guy has just gotta be whacked.

UO Necromancer - Evil is your friend. Embrace it.

UO Ninja - Stealthing off into the night.

UO Paladin - You follow the virtues and are most noble.

UO Rares Collector. There is only one of item X and you MUST have it.

UO Samurai - We Honorably Execute everyone.

UO Scribe - Where would a mage be without his spells?

UO Smith - If it is made from metal, you are the one who makes it.

UO Tailor - You can never have enough sewing kits.

UO Tamer - The dragon is your pet and your weapon.

UO Thief - They have it. You want it. Go steal it.

UO Tinker - Need a golem? Need a trap? Need lockpicks? See your local tinker.

UO Treasure Hunter - Keep digging and you will find a treasure chest.

UO Warrior - You live by the blade. You die by the blade.

L

Lady Beth

The term "Shard" is used to represent a server in Ultima Online. Each Shard is actually a Server hosting the game for you. The shards are located in various locations around the world. It is best to choose a shard that is closest to where you live to make sure you have the best connection possible.

The available shards are:
<blockquote><hr>

North American East
---------------------
Chesapeake
Atlantic
Catskills
Legends

North American Central
---------------------
Lake Superior
Great Lakes
Siege Perilous

North American West
--------------------
Baja
Pacific
Napa Valley
Sonoma
Lake Austin

Western Europe
--------------------
Europa
Drachenfels

Japan
----------------
Hokuto
Yamato
Asuka
Wakoku
Izumo
Mizuho
Mugen

Korea
----------------
Arirang
Balhae

Taiwan
-----------------
Formosa

Australia
----------------
Oceania

<hr></blockquote>
As a new player you can log on to any of the shards except for Siege Perilous &amp; Mugen. More details will be given on those later in the FAQ.

Something you may wish to keep in mind is the Asian shards. Most players there do not speak English. You can easily find yourself in a world where nobody understands you.

If you were given UO by a friend or bought it to join a friend find out what shard they play on and start there. Having a friend in game does help.

It is now possible to transfer your character to a different shard. For example if you started your character on Atlantic and you want to move that character to Napa Valley, you have the possibility to do that now!

A Character Transfer code currently cost $ 19.99. You can see the guideline provided by Electronic Arts over here.

L

Lady Beth

You are labeled as a YOUNG player when you start UO because you are new to the game. The purpose of being young is to help you get started without having too many problems.

It is in your best interest to choose one of the starting templates when you create your first character. Don't choose the Advanced option yet. Each of the templates will give you a new player quest to help you become familiar with UO and the various options of the game.

As a young player you will not be attacked by monsters unless you attack them first. This will give you a chance to explore UO without getting killed by monsters you do not recognize. It also gives you a Young label that other players can see with your name. This way people know you are new to the game and can help you out. Remember, some people role play evil characters and may not be too helpful. Young players can buy from NPC vendors in towns without having to wait for the vendor to restock. Again, the purpose of being young is to help you get started.

Haven is an island that all new players start on. It's purpose is to give you an area you can explore, learn in, meet other players, and not come face to face with monsters that would eat you in the blink of an eye. Think of it as a training level. You can start learning most skills in Haven. The monsters there aren't too tough (really, they aren't) so that you can begin working your fighting skills.

Did you know that when Haven was first added to UO only Young players could go there? Now it is open to all players except murderers. We will talk about murderers more later.

What's that? You are Young but not in Haven? Ah yes. You started with the Necromancer Template. You are in the town known as Umbra. When you started you were offered a quest. I hope you took it. It really will help you get started with the game. Once you have finished that quest head to Haven to continue your training. You aren't a Dread Lord yet. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

L

Lady Beth

Yes, you have died. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but get used to it. Dying is part of the game. Nobody enjoys dying, we just adapt to it. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

The most important thing to do is remain calm. If you begin to panic you will forget where your body is and where you are.

When you die as a Young player you are teleported to a Healer's Shop. The healer there will resurrect you. You will find that all of your items are in your backpack and waiting for you.

When you are no longer Young and die you will simply be a ghost. You will need to find a healer one your own then. Other players can resurrect you if they have that ability. Otherwise you will need to find a Healer's Shop or a Wandering Healer. Remember, now that you are no longer Young all of your items that are not blessed or insured stay on your corpse. You have approximatley 10 minutes to get resurrected, run back to your body, double click it. This will place all the items back in your backpack and it will also put your clothes back on. Nice little feature hu?

L

Lady Beth

There are two types of moongates, static and player cast.
The first we will cover is static.
Think of a moongate as a magic bus. You are in one town and want to get to another one. Step in the moongate and choose which other moongate you wish to go to from the list.
When you go into the moongate you will see the four facets listed on the left side of the gump (menu) and the coresponding moongates on the right. Each moongate on the right will get you close the city with the corresponding name. The Minoc Moongate will place you between Minoc and Vesper.
You start the game on the Trammel facet unless you used the necromancer template. In that case you start on the Malas facet.
In Malas the moongates are inside of the cities Luna and Umbra. All other moongates are outside of cities.

There are four facets to choose from: Trammel, Felucca, Ilshenar, and Malas. If you do not see Felucca it is because you are still young.

Felucca - This was the original land of UO. Once Trammel was created Felucca was given a look of desolation. Felucca is the only facet where one player can attack another player without being in the same guild, a warring guild, or in a faction. We'll talk about those later. It is also the only facet where one player can steal from another player. Also be aware that Felucca is the only land a player can access if they become a murderer. If you attack and kill 5 other players in Felucca you will become known as a murderer and your name will turn red. You will not be able to leave Felucca until you have played long enough without killing somebody for your murder counts to wear off.

Trammel - Trammel &amp; Felucca are the same size and shape. The only difference in appreance is Felucca has a look of desolation where Trammel doesn't. In Trammel you cannot attack another player or steal from another player unless you are in the same guild or warring guild.

Ilshenar - Ilshenar is unique in that you can not place homes there and you cannot recall or use a mage cast gate into it. You have to use the static moongates to get there. You can not use a mage cast moongate to leave either. You either have to go back to the static moongate or use the recall spell (or Sacred Journey) to leave. This is the only facet where no player homes are allowed. There is however a nice over land (out of dungeons) spawn of monsters.

Malas - Malas is a unique facet in that it allows housing, but has only 2 towns setup by OSI. The Paladin town of Luna and the Necromancer town of Umbra. You will also find the dungeon known as Doom in Malas. Young players can not enter Doom. It is quite possibly the most dangerous dungeon of the game, depending on who you ask.

To summarize. You can openly attack other players only in Felucca. Ilshenar is the only facet where you can not place a house.

For future reference: Felucca is commonly called Fel, Trammel is commonly called Tram, Ilshenar is commonly called Ilsh, and Malas is commonly called Malas. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

There is one other difference for Felucca and Ilshenar that are not covered here. That would be Champion Spawns. We will discuss them later.

The second type is a cast moongate.
The moongates already discussed are always there. They don't disappear after a few moments.
Mages can cast their own moongates that other players can use. This is where it gets interesting.
NPC mages sell items known as Runes. Mages can then cast a Mark Spell on a rune they have purchased. The rune then contains the coordinates of where the mage was when he or she cast the Mark spell on it.
The mage can then go anywhere but Ilshenar and cast the Gate Spell on that rune to open a moongate back to it.
If you have a rune marked this way by a mage you can use recall scrolls to transport yourself there, or Sacred Journey if you are a paladin.
Gates opened by mages are typically Blue or Red. If they are Blue it leads to a spot somewhere in Tram, The Lost Lands of Tram, or Malas. If the gate is Red it is somewhere in Fel. Keep that in mind before you walk into a gate somebody you don't know has opened. There are players that will open a moongate to their "Cheap Vendor Home in Fel" when it actually leads to their red friends who are waiting for an easy kill.

While we are discussing facets and moongates I would like to point out 1 other thing. Both Fel and Tram have an area known as "The Lost Lands." Because these lands are "lost" you will not find any wandering healers there if you die.
There are two differences between Fel's Lost Lands and Tram's Lost Lands. You can recall/sacred journey/mage cast gate in and out of the Lost Lands for Tram. You can not do that for the Lost Lands of Fel. You must use one of the "Discovered Entrances" to reach the Lost Lands of Fel.

I do not want to ruin the sense of exploration UO provides by walking you step by step to the lost lands. There is more than 1 way there. I will give you a brief description on finding one of them. The town of Vesper, like most towns, has a graveyard. Only one of the buildings in this graveyard has a basement. There is a tunnel from the basement to the Lost Lands. Go exploring to find it. Then find the others. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Last challenge for you. There is one static moongate that is not listed on the moongate gump when you walk into the moongates. It is a one way gate. You can only leave from this gate, the other gates will not take you to it. Go exploring and see if you can find it.

L

Lady Beth

Traveler had an awesome FAQ, so I'm just adding the new professions and animals to it for everyone.
If you see anything you think should be added, please let me know!

Q: Where can I learn more about the different skills and professions?
A: In the FAQ posts of the various Profession boards.

Q: What is a Shard?
A: A Shard is a server that runs Ultima Online. Read about them here.

Q: Why am I YOUNG and what is Haven?
A: Young means you are new player. Haven is where new players start. More information is available here.

Q: I died! What do I do now?
A: Remain calm. Panic will hurt you not help you. Read this.

Q: What are Moongates and Facets?
A: Moongates are what take you from facet to facet and around each facet. Facets are the lands that make up UO. Read all about them here.

Q: I hear people saying "LJ, Dexxer, DooD, Newb, afk, BOD." What does that mean?
A: You can find descriptions of most terms used in game here.

Q: What do the different character templates offer when I create a new character?
A: When starting a new character you can choose between 5 premade character types or an advanced character. The information on the 5 premade characters can be found here.

Q: Where can I find the different quests in game and how do I do them?
A: You can wander around clicking every NPC you meet or read the guide created by The UnRuled here.

Q: I am seeing all these different item properties and magic bonuses. What do they all mean?
A: The answers you seek are here.

Q: Where does ____________ monster spawn and what loot does it have?
A: Check the Hunter's Guide.

Q: What are power scrolls and what do they do?
A: They increase either your skill cap in a certain skill or your stat cap. More information is found here.

Q: Well now that I know what a power scroll is, where do I find the champion spawns to get one?
A: There are two types of champion spawns. The ones in Ilshenar give no power scrolls, consider them training grounds. The ones in Felucca give the power scrolls. You can learn more here.

Q: I see people Role Playing and I want to try it as well. How do I get started?
A: Most Role Players will help you if you ask them. A good guide can be found here. The Lessons are on the top left side of the page.

Q: What types of animals can I ride and what do I need to get them?
A: Magdalene provided a list here with all the information you will need.

Q: What is a good set of skills (template) to use?
A: It varies from player to player. See what other players suggest here in the Template Thread.

Q: People keep telling me in game that I need Auto Map. What are they talking about?
A: Auto Map is a great tool for UO. Especially if you are new to the game and get lost easy like I did. Du Hast Cooper has written a good article about it here.

L

Lady Beth

What kind of mount can I ride and what skill is needed to have it?

Mounts of Britannia

1. Horses – may be tamed almost anywhere (minimum 29.1 taming skill required), purchased from stable masters in town; or from players; can be ridden by anyone – no minimum skill* required. Preferred food – fruit and vegetables. Occupy 1 control slot.

2. Rideable Llamas - may be tamed in T2A and in Malas(minimum 29.1 taming skill required) or purchased from players; can be ridden by anyone – no minimum skill* required. Preferred food – fruit and vegetables. Occupy 1 control slot.

3. Forest and Desert Ostards - may be tamed in T2A (minimum 29.1 taming skill required) or purchased from players; can be ridden by anyone – no minimum skill* required. Preferred food – fruit and vegetables. Occupy 1 control slot.

4. Frenzied Ostards - may be tamed in T2A (minimum 77.1 taming skill required) or purchased from players; can be ridden/transferred to players with minimum 72.1 skill*). Preferred food – fruit and vegetables. Occupy 1 control slot.

5. Savage Ridgebacks – may be tamed in Cove Orc Fort, Delucia Orc Fort, Swamps south of Destard and in Central Ilshenar (minimum 83.1 taming skill required) or purchased from players; can be ridden by anyone – no skill* required. It can be transferred to anyone in the same manner as horses and normal ostards. The Savage Ridgeback is not aggressive by nature. Preferred food – fruit and vegetables. Occupy 1 control slot.

6. Swamp Dragons – may be tamed in Ilshenar (minimum 93.9 taming required) or purchased from players; can be ridden by anyone – no skill* required. First seen in the attack on Yew, where Chaos Dragoons riding these Swamp Dragons invaded the town. Chaos Dragoons can make their mounts perform fire and stomp attacks. When the Dragoon is killed, the Swamp Dragon can be tamed. When tamed, Swamp Dragons no longer perform the special attacks. Swamp Dragons die very fast at the hands of a warrior, but are extremely tough when being attacked by other monsters. They do very little damage in melee. These rideable creatures come in two different versions: armoured and non-armoured. Smiths can create a Dragon Barding, which can be used on a non-armoured tame Swamp Dragon to turn it into an armoured one. The armour comes in all ingot colours. Preferred food – raw meat. Occupy 1 control slot.

7. Kirins and Unicorns – may be tamed in Ilshenar and in Malas (minimum 95.1 taming required) or bought from other players provided you have minimum 90.1 skill*. Only females can tame and ride Unicorns. Males can not tame or ride Unicorns, but can have them transferred. When wild, they will attack any creature with negative karma, including humans and tamed pets. When tamed, they will not attack humans or tamed creatures, but will attack anything else with negative karma. The Unicorn has a special ability to help its master when in trouble. If the rider becomes poisoned and their health drops below a certain point (40HP), the Unicorn will attempt to cast cure on them using its magery skill. Once it successfully cures the rider it cannot attempt to cure them for another hour. In addition to this the Unicorn is also completely immune to poison. Only males can tame and ride Kirins. Females can not tame or ride Kirins, but can have them transferred. They are good-aligned just like Unicorns and will attack anything and everything with negative karma when wild. If the owner of a Kirin gets hurt in battle, the Kirin shall at one point "call down the forces of nature on your opponent" thereby doing a substantial amount of damage to whatever is attacking you. Preferred food of both Unicorns and Kirins is fruit and vegetables (some animals tamed quite a long time ago eat raw meat though). Occupy 2 control slots.

8. Nightmares – may be tamed in Terathan Keep, in Ilshenar or in Malas (minimum 95.1 taming required) or bought from other players provided you have minimum 90.1 skill required to ride them. Evil black horses with a serious attitude, they are VERY hard to tame and are very aggressive, but can be incredible steeds once they are under control. At full strength their fireball does between 24- 26 points of damage. They are also capable of casting 7th circle magery, excluding summoning and area effect spells. Preferred food - raw meat. Occupy 2 control slots.

9. Fire Steeds – may be tamed in Fire Dungeon (minimum 106.0 taming required) or bought from other players provided you have minimum 101.0 skill*. Steeds have no magic skills but have a fire breath attack that will do about 20 points of damage. Preferred food - raw meat. Occupy 2 control slots.

10. Giant Beetles - The Giant Beetle is another one of the results of the failed Decay spell cast by the Meer. It can be found in the Solen Tunnels along with some of the other creatures changed by the spell. The Beetle is quite a strong and fast fighter, when it is hit with a ranged attack it will run towards its attacker with an incredible speed until it catches up and hits him. Once it has taken enough damage it will be beaten into subjugation, which will allow animal tamers to tame it (minimum taming skill 29.1), if it is above ground. Once the Beetle has been tamed it can be used as a mount AND as a pack animal, which like a Pack Horse can carry 1600 stones. Because of its superior fighting skills and the pack ability it requires 3 control slots to own it. No taming skill is required to own or ride it. If the Beetles pack is very full and you mount it, it will become overweight and you will not be able to move very fast without it running out of stamina. (The Beetles pack can be accessed by using its context menu while you are not mounted)

* Animals that can be tamed with a skill of 29.1 or less will follow anyone’s orders. Harder to tame animals need an experienced master, at least the minimum skill needed to tame the animal less 5.0 is required to ride such mount. In other words, your modified control rating (taming x 0,8 + lore x 0,2) has to be within (minimum tame -5.0) Ridgebacks and Swamp Dragons are exception from that rule.

(answer provided by Magdalene)

G

There are 3 Main things that affect your characters resistances.
1) Armor, Jewelery with Resist properties, Weapons and Shields with resist properties
2)Magic Resistance Skill
3)Protection, Reactive Armor and Magic Reflection Spells

1)Armor natuarally has a set of resistance values that are accumulative until a total value of 70 is reached
Any resistances that add up to more than 70 accross the armor pieces simply dont count
A lot of Jewelery Pieces have a few resistance values among their properties these values add directly to
any armor you are wearing
Every Shield has 1 or 2 resist Properties and enhanced shields can have up to 5 resists depending on the material it was enhanced with
Some weapons also can have a resist property but enhancing weapons wont affect this property

2)Magic Resistance gives you some basic resistances, even when you are not wearing any armor at all.
The formula to calculate your basic resistances is (Resist skill - 40) / 3 * 2 rounded down to the
nearest whole number. At 100 skill points, this gives you 40 points in all five resistances,
at 120 skill points this gives you 44 points in all five resistances.
These resistances are not cumulative with armor resistances.
If you wear an armor that has 30 in all resistances, and you have 40 points in all resistances
because of your Resisting Spells skill, then your final resistances will be 40 (and not 70).

3)Spells are usually the culprit when it comes to unusual resist values appearing as you cannot easily tell if a spell is active or not
Protection-Reduces your Magic Resistance Skill by 35 points and deducts 15 points from your Physical Resist
Reactive Armor-Adds 15 points to the Armors Physical Resist and deducts 5 points off each elemental resist of the armor itself
It has absoloutley no effect on your Magic Resistance skill based resist
Magic Reflection-Deducts 25 Points off the Armors Physical resist and Adds 10 points to each elemental resist
Again this spell only affects the value of the Armor itself and has no effect on skill based resist

All 3 spells give the same 2 sounds when being cast a rising pitch sound when the spell activates and a dropping
pitch when the spell deactivates.

(brought to you by To Arvo, the Lore Master)

T

ThePict

(Magdalene, feel free to edit/delete/move this as needed, I'll admit off the bat I'm feeling cranky from a few icky encounters of late)

Etiquette

Much like any large community, UO has nice and not-so-nice folks, and everything in between. By and large, most you run into will be, at the very least, decent people though for sure there are always the odd ones who, high on the anonymity and power of an online game display the social interaction skills of your average rock. For the most part, however, people will be more than willing to help out new players if a few basic social rules are followed.

1. CAP LOCK KEY
This is one of the easiest to fix and also one that others can find quite irking for no obvious reason. It is often seen as the online equivalent to yelling or shouting. Your reception will be much better if you turn it off. If you have a visual impairment and need the larger text, it's worth explaining this if anyone comments on it. If you prefer not to disclose this, just be aware of the reaction others may have if they don't know it's a necessity for you.

2. Be polite
For many this is obvious, but when addressing a stranger, particularly when in need of help, use "please" and "thank you". Even if your request is a very small one, "Could you show me where the stable is, please?" is far more likely to be granted, possibly with even more help forthcoming, than "HEY YOU! SHOW ME THE STABLE!" Think of the city banks as like standing by a busy ATM in a large city. You really need a pen. Do you yell out "I need a pen, give me one!" to the crowd? Perhaps a better option would be picking a friendly looking person, turning to them and asking, "Excuse me, do you have a pen I could have?" Sure, the kind thing would be for someone to give you a pen regardless of how you asked, but no one HAS to give you one and you are far more likely to get one with the latter.

In the UO world, asking nicely for something small may turn into getting a new set of armor, a good weapon, and maybe some new friends in addition.

Remember that everyone has been new at some point, even if it was a long time ago. Everyone started with not much, and the further back they started the less they started with. Because of this, asking for advice on how to get things will likely get your further than just asking for handouts. I will happily tell a new player some ways to make gold at their skill level, heck, I'll even make you a runebook to the spots and show you around, but I tend to think I'm doing them a disservice by just giving out gold and never showing them how to get it themselves. Feel free to ask other players how they got started or got the items you see on them; most are proud of their accomplishments ingame and will gladly tell you how you can do it also.

3. language
The same rules of language apply to UO as apply to life. People use different words talking to friends then they do talking to strangers in the grocery store. Before you cuss a stranger out (especially the ones who didn't give you the pen you just yelled for), think to yourself if you'd say it to a stranger in real life. (At this point someone always says, "I swear at strangers all the time!" and if this is the case, well, expect about the same reaction ingame as in real life.) This applies to general comments as well. If the line in the grocery store is really long and slow, what language do you use to express this to the crowd? Some bystanders may not be impressed hearing that you think it is "F-ing [homosexual] lame [butt] [insert something offensive about its mother's virtue here]," even if you weren't directing it at anyone in particular.

4. Killing stuff
There is an etiquette to coming into an area with monsters that has another person or people in it. Essentially if what you are about to do will a.) get the other guy killed, b.) impede his already established monster killing then you need to consider what would most polite and beneficial to you both.

There are a few things to consider when entering an area where others are hunting.
1. Is this something tons of people are already pummeling? If so, join the fray. No worries. Some current examples of this are the Doom Gauntlet and the Mondain's Legacy dungeons with their named monster spawns.

2. Is it a place with a decent number of monsters and a couple people killing separate things independently? A graveyard is a great example of this, others include the earth elementals in Shame, lizardmen in Despise, or the drakes and dragons in Destard. It's very possible for multiple folks to hunt here at the same time without ever infringing on anyone else. If you want to fight WITH someone, ask them first if they would like help before helpfully whacking at the monster, they may have reasons for wanting to kill it solo even if it appears difficult for them. It's great to keep an eye out for others who might get into trouble, need a heal, bandage, help with an extra monster they didn't plan on, they might return the favor, but by and large this is still solo territory.

If what you're about to do will easily wipe out the whole graveyard in one fell swoop, like dropping a bunch of blade spirits, you will be impeding other adventurers and it's obviously too easy for you, go someplace harder or find an empty graveyard where you can do this without infringing on others.

3. Is this something with one person killing one monster solo? If so, this is where it gets hazy. Many demon spawns are like this, other areas include ice fiends, ogre lords, the serpentine dragon, balrons, and blood elementals. These are high end monsters who drop a lot of gold and loot, and folks tend to stand around killing them for hours at a time with high returns on their effort.

There are some who would jump right in killing, assuming that whoever kills fastest and hits hardest has right of way. This is often seen as the rudest option.

I've been known to comment after someone does this, "Good evening to you too, no, I wouldn't mind sharing this spot at all, thank you for asking!" only to have them look at me blankly and say they had no idea they were being rude at all; they assumed it was a.) a really hard monster and I'd be glad of the help, b.) they assumed I would share the spawn and it was clearly their turn, but didn't feel a need to talk to me at all, or c.) they hit harder and faster and want the spot and I can stuff it. Two of these are decently intentioned and some bad feelings can be avoided by talking before jumping in.

I for one have a "never help/rez/or interact with at all again if I can help it" policy on these types. And yes, I will notice your guild name as well and quite possibly extend this policy to all of your guildmates if you're particularly rude.

One other option when you come into a spot like this and see someone there is to leave, since if this is a solo-able monster you probably wanted it to yourself anyway, and that's not going to happen unless you are especially obnoxious (see above, along with repercussions). Check out some rune libraries for other possible hunting locations, tons go totally unused these days. Heck, ask the person who is there if they can recommend other spots where this monster spawns that you could go to.

Another option is to ask if the other person minds if you take turns. Both people kill a bit slower than they would if they were the only ones there, but it's a nice compromise. If asked nicely I'll almost never say no, and when I ask I find that I'm rarely turned down.

These same monster rules apply to anything that might involve one person and one object in a public place in the game, shearing sheep for wool, gathering hides, lockpicking chests, gathering quest items, mining, or chopping trees.

In the long run you will get far more help, more friends, and a better reputation with politeness. It may be a large world, but it's not so large that rudeness is entirely unnoticed or kindness and friendliness forgotten.

T

ThePict

***edit* for those who have all the new expansions but are having trouble with the gate menu and don't feel like reading lots of stuff about facets:

the left hand column on the public gate menu is the facet, the right hand one the town. Select the facet (left) first, then the town (right). If that isn't working or isn't making sense, read on.**

There are 4 main "facets" (read: "landmasses not connected to eachother").

Access to these is limited by which version of UO you are playing (some landmasses came out with specific expansions and are not accessible if you do not have these expansions).

At this point the oldest, supported versions of UO (someone correct this if I'm wrong) give you access to:
1. Felucca (non-consensual pvp) (i.e. the original ruleset.. sortof)
2. Trammel (Mirror image of Felucca, but with leaves on the trees and grass...no pvp aside from dueling with guildmates) (as of UO:R expansion)
3. The Lost Lands (that place where Papua and Delucia are.. there is a Felucca and Trammel version of both and they are connected to Trammel and Felucca via overland routes) (as of T2A expansion)
4. Ilshenar (Trammel ruleset except for on Siege Perilous ruleset servers) (as of Third Dawn expansion)
5. Malas (Trammel ruleset except for Siege ruleset servers) (as of Age of Shadows expansion)
5. Tokuno (Trammel ruleset except for Siege ruleset servers) (as of Samurai Empire expansion)

The most recent expansion, Mondain's Legacy, gave access to new dungeons and an elf city, all super-imposed on the existing landscape and facets, including Trammel, Felucca, Ilshenar, Malas, and Tokuno.

Without Mondain's Legacy (i.e with the free trial version or UO:Gold, which is often really cheap at Walmart) you can still access all facets in the game but you will find some dungeon areas and the elf city of Heartwood blocked. The dungeons that came in with Mondain's Legacy are generally much higher level in content. For new players trying out UO this is probably not a huge loss, within the trial period one might work a character's skill up to the point of being ready for these dungeons, but for the most part everything level appropriate will be accessible. For those who plan to stay long-term it is really best to have the most recent expansion to enjoy the game to the fullest of its content.

Now, assuming you have a version of UO that allows you to go to these places, they are not connected via overland routes, for the most part, but they are accessible via public moongates or via recalling or sacred journey using public rune libraries.

There are two columns on a public moongate menu, the one on the left lets you select the facet, the one on the right the moongate within the facet. Click the button on the left to select the facet first, then select the city by clicking the button on the right. Trammel and Felucca have 8 public moongates, Ilshenar 9, Malas only 2, and Tokuno only 3. The Lost Lands have none.

As of the Age of Shadows expansion it is possible to recall across the facets, so the easiest route to most places is via your own runebook or a public rune library. The exceptions to this are Ilshenar, from which you can recall but not gate, and to which you cannot recall nor gate, and the Lost Lands area of Felucca, which it is not possible to recall or gate in or out of.

Most moongates in Trammel are quite safe areas, usually very close to towns, and all Trammel and Felucca gates are considered "guard zone" so within the precepts of the gate one can call for the aid of the npc city guards if attacked. Felucca gates are equally close to towns and also guard zones, but due to pvp activity some may not be safe should you leave the guard zone area. Yew Moongate, Felucca, has traditionally been a PvP-intensive area on some shards, though it may vary by shard.

Ilshenar, Spirituality moongate is often considered the safest of the Ilshenar gates, with no monsters in the area, and the local creatures attacking only those with negative karma. Other Ilshenar gates tend to have nearby, hostile monsters.

Both the Malas gates are within city limits.

The Tokuno gate of Makoto-Jima is the only gate located within a city, the other two gates are in areas inhabited by monsters and hostile npcs of varying but usually strong levels.

Most travel difficulties seem to arise from not having the appropriate expansion with which to access the lands.
To recap: UO:Gold and the free trial version give access to everything up to and including Samurai Empire (areas 1-4 and Tokuno), but NOT to the most recent Mondain's Legacy. Anything from before Samurai Empire will not give access to Tokuno. Otherwise, find yourself a public moongate and click the lefthand button to select your desired facet.

G

Modified from another thread in here ...

There are two basic rulesets on production shards now: Felucca and Trammel.. These names come from the names of the 2 moons of Sosaria in the original Ultima game series. Each shard will have "facets" that follow one of these rulesets.

<font color=red>Felucca (Fel) ruleset:</font color=red>
This is the original game - as designed. Thieves, PKs, non-consentual PvP. When not in combat mode, the mouse cursor will be a silvery hue in this facet/ruleset. Trees are without greenery and bones litter the ground - a tweak in the uo.cfg file can remedy the greenery issue.

ADVANTAGE:
1. Double resources in this facet. Where you may chop 10 logs in Trammel ruleset, 20 here.
2. I believe Fame/Karma gains are higher here than in the Trammel ruleset. Not 100% sure - someone correct me!
3. If you wish to be a thief, this is where you can train snooping and such.
4. If you are an ardent PvP person, this is the place for you.
5. "Champ" spawns in dungeons where you could get a powerscroll allowing you to boost a skill to as high as 120 (Legendary).

DISADVANTAGE:
1. Non-consentual PvP means that you might well be minding your own business and ANYONE may attack you at any time.
2. Do not come here with uninsured items that you cannot afford to lose!

<font color=red>Trammel (Tram) ruleset:</font color=red>
Non-consentual PvP is out - even snooping (thief training) is not allowed. Exception is guilds where you may spar guildmates, war with foe, etc. When not in combat mode the cursor is a golden hue. Trees have greenery and ground is NOT littered with bones.

ADVANTAGE:
1. Non-consentual PvP is forbidden except for guild warfare.
2. Appearances in general show most players are Trammel players for most or all of their gaming. Finding people may be easier here.
3. Refer to #1 ... resource gathering, skill work is less likely to be interrupted suddenly.

DISADVANTAGE:
1. Lower gains in resource counts than in Fel ruleset.
2. Lower Fame/Karma gains.
3. Limited UO experience because part of the gaming design (PvP) is not allowed.

<font color=red>Facets:</font color=red>
Felucca - Original game design landmass. There are some Fel-only dungeons as well. All cities/towns here are in the same spots and look the same - <font color=red>except</font color=red> Occlo. In Trammel, that town is called Haven and has a slightly different layout.

Trammel - Introduced with UO Renaissence, it is a ruleset that disallows non-consentual PvP (as noted above). Landmass is identical to Fel, but Fel city of Occlo is called Haven in Trammel. This facet is the starting facet for all new characters with Haven being the starting city in most cases.

Ilshenar - Blackthorns Revenge version introduced this landmass I believe. Different monsters, a Gargoyle City and more. Trammel ruleset.

Malas - Age of Shadows introduced this landmass along with Paladin and Necromancer templates, custom houses and the demise of Item ID and Arms Lore because all properties are now visible - including durability. Trammel ruleset.

Tokuno Islands - Samurai Edition introduced these along with Samurai and Ninja templates and skills. Trammel ruleset.

<font color=red>Shard exceptions:</font color=red>
As with most things there are exceptions. The shards of Siege Perilous and Mugen are <font color=red>full Fel rulesets in all facets</font color=red>. They also have a different skill gain system. These shards are NOT accessible to an account until/unless it no longer qualifies for [young] status on characters.

Xanth de Orlig

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So here are what you get when you start each of the Preset Templates (well minus the cool names that is
) :

Samurai

Ninja

Paladin

Necromancer

[/b]Warrior[/b]

Mage

Blacksmith

G

With the new release of 10th Anniversary items that may drop as loot in dungeons that are "anti-virtue" ... I present the list as scalped from a UHall thread.<blockquote>The correct list would be:

Covetous----Opposes----Sacrifice
Despise------Opposes----Compassion
Destard------Opposes----Valor
Deceit-------Opposes----Honesty
Hythloth-----Opposes----Humility
Shame-------Opposes----Honor
Wrong-------Opposes----Justice
Abyss-------Opposes----Spirituality

The Abyss of course is not in UO as of yet.

From the Urban Dictionary, just for the heck of it:

hythloth: pride, leading to death by one's own deeds. Also one of the anti-virtues in the world of Ultima
</blockquote> The poster is AdriannaDanere.

Thank you Adrianna!

Now, that being stated ... there is debate on it STILL. From Sir Bolo in the same UHall thread:<blockquote>The Hythloth/Abyss debate dates back to Ultima IX...
In that game, Origin explicitely identified Hythloth as the anti-Humility dungeon (or dungeon of Pride), and the Abyss as the anti-Spirituality dungeon. This is written even in the game manual!

In previous Ultimas no explicit connection was stated between these dungeons and the anti-Virtues. But from many clues it was likely that Hythoth was intended to be the anti-Spirituality dungeon:

- In Ultima IV, the white stone of Spirituality had been hidden in Hythloth until somebody took it to the top of the Serpent Spine mountains where the Avatar found it. There was no dungeon of Pride in UIV: the Great Stygian Abyss was definitely not an anti-Virtue dungeon, and the place opposing the Virtue of Humility was the city of Magincia (as in UO...).
- In Ultima V, the power word to open the doors of Hythloth was IGNAVUS, a Latin word to describe the condition of those who are too scared or lazy to even choose between good and evil... something akin to sloth, and definitely anti-Spiritual. The Abyss was destroyed and remained sealed until Ultima Underworld...

So if you follow the first Ultimas, Hythloth is anti-Spirituality and the Abyss is not an anti-Virtue dungeon. If you follow Ultima IX, Hythloth is anti-Humility and the Abyss is anti-Spirituality.

As a side note, we know that in Ultima IV the city of Magincia had been destroyed for its Pride by the daemons who guarded the Shrine of Humility on the Isle of the Avatar. This is probably the reason for the daemon spawn in Hythloth and on the temple outside in UO... </blockquote>For the time being, I vote to accept the Ultima 9:Ascension definition.

G

I relocated my own post into this thread.</blockquote>Shamelessly swiped from UHall, I thought this makes for a good sticky to answer the age-old question of "What stats can I gain in when I use &lt;insert skill here&gt;?"

So here they are. If you do not want to gain in the primary, lock it and secondary can then gain. Format is skill - primary / secondary<pre>Alchemy - Int / Dex
Anatomy - Int / Str
Animal Lore - Int / Str
Animal Taming - Str / Int
Archery - Dex / Str
Arms Lore - Int / Str
Begging - Dex / Int
Blacksmithing - Str / Dex
Bowcraft/Fletching - Dex / Str
Bushido - Str / Int
Camping - Dex / Int
Carpentry - Str, Dex
Cartography - Int / Dex
Chivalry - Str / Int
Cooking - Int / Dex
Detect Hidden - Int / Dex
Discordance - Int / Dex
Evaluating Intelligence - Int / Str
Fencing - Dex / Str
Fishing - Dex / Str
Focus - Dex / Int
Forensic Evaluation - Int / Dex
Healing - Int / Dex
Herding - Int / Dex
Hiding - Dex / Int
Inscription - Int / Dex
Item Identification - Int / Dex
Lockpicking - Dex / Int
Lumberjacking - Str / Dex
Mace Fighting - Str / Dex
Magery - Int / Str
Meditation - Int / Str
Mining - Str / Dex
Musicianship - Dex / Int
Necromancy - Int / Str
Ninjitsu - Dex / Int
Parrying - Dex / Str
Peacemaking - Int / Dex
Poisoning - Int / Dex
Provocation - Int / Dex
Remove Trap - Dex / Int
Resisting Spells - Str / Dex
Snooping - Dex / Int
Spellweaving - Int / Str
Spirit Speak - Int / Str
Stealing - Dex / Int
Stealth - Dex / Int
Swordsmanship - Str / Dex
Tactics - Str / Dex
Tailoring - Dex / Int
Taste Identification - Int / Str
Tinkering - Dex / Int
Tracking - Int / Dex
Veterinary - Int / Dex
Wrestling - Str / Dex</pre>

G

Prompted by a comment UHall today ...

Some items ingame have the word "Cursed" on them. This is a special designation and the following rules apply:
1. Cannot be blessed or insured.
2. Upon death, the item remains on your corpse. If you want it back, go get it.
3. It can be stolen from you.

Other than these, it can be used as normal ... go play and have fun!

G

Tip on a dungeon feature:
In Level 1 of Deceit dungeon (undead) take the first doorway to the west (character left) after you enter. There is a brazier here in the middle of the room. It'll spam a warning message ... Take care of any immediate foe (skeletons, zombies, mummy sometimes)

<font color=red>WARNING - the next step may be something your character should NOT do!</font color=red>
Double-click the brazier. A random monster will be spawned! It will be something from a Mongbat to a Dragon or Daemon. Think twice before activating this feature!

This brazier does have a spawn timer on it from last activation, so you may get a "fizzle and pop" message with no spawn. Also, be aware that someone before you may have spawned a Dragon or something they couldn't handle. You could walk in on a peeved foe!

Monsters I have gotten ... Lizardman, Mongbat, Slime, Daemon, Lich, Fire Steed, Dragon, Drake, Orc, Orc Captain, Skeleton, Zombie, Giant Scorpion, Giant Spider, Ogre, Troll, Earth Elemental.

<font color=red><u>14 Feb 2008 - NOTE ON DRAGONS!!</u></font color=red> - As of a publish today, dragons appear to be heavily buffed up - some as high as 2000 HP before taming. If one of these appear from the brazier you are in deep trouble. They teleport the more you damage them, also cast necro spells. You have been warned.

Others have reported Nightmare and White Wyrm as well.

I mention this as a general tip because a gal that has played 6+ years did not know of this little fun thing to do, so I figured I'd mention it here as a fun thing to try doing.

G

This is probably buried in one of the stickies, but it's worth repeating for the REALLY, REALLY new players. Can get some cash with little effort.

Requirements:
1. 1 dagger or other bladed instrument - skinning knife is good.
2. Access to a tailor shop or to a house (public or as a friend) with a spinning wheel and loom.
3. A pair of scissors for cutting things

<font color=red>No skill is needed for this process</font color=red>

Process:
Just go to a) the 2 or 3 pens in Yew; b) East side of the old Haven town; c) Delucia - healers hut and out the NW gate area. These are the best areas, but any sheep is a valid source!

Find a sheep that looks "fat". Double-click the bladed item and target the live sheep. You should collect a pile of wool. Just keep repeating this until you are just about maxxed on your carry weight.

NOTE: Shear live sheep! A dead sheep will give wool but the yarn from it is less (1 I believe) AND you cannot sell "bloodied" wool to a tailor NPC.

NOTE 2: If using the Yew pens in Trammel - kill the sheep after shearing. They respawn quite rapidly ... within seconds. In Fel it has been suggested using a stealther to snag the wool - and remember, increased resources in Fel!

Head to an area where:
A. you have access to a spinning wheel (at least) and a loom
B. a NPC tailor shop to sell these things

<u>If you are going to sell the wool</u>, then simply go to a tailor shop in a town and do so for 60-65 gold per wool bundle. &lt;shrug&gt;

<u>If not selling the wool</u>, then stand near a spinning wheel, double-click the wool and target the wheel. It should start spinning and in a couple seconds or so 3 balls of yarn will be added to your pack. Your weight drops 1 stone for each wool used this way. Keep doing the wool until they are all gone and you have balls of yarn.

Now head to the loom. Make sure all the yarn is in one stack - it makes things easy. Every 5 yarn makes one bolt of cloth. Sooo, double-click the yarn and target the loom. Keep repeating this until you have less than 5 yarn left. You can place that in the bank for the next time you wish to do this process.

Now what?
You have a few options open to you now.

1. If you wish, sell the bolts of cloth to a tailor NPC. 95-105 gold each is a typical price. Orrrrrr ...

2. Double-click the scissors and target the stack of bolts. You now have cut cloth. This can be sold to a tailor, or you can accumulate a LOT of cloth for possible sale to players training up a tailor. Orrrrr ...

3. Create bandages by using the scissors on the cut cloth. Each bolt you produced will make 50 cloth thus 50 bandages. These can be used if you are training up healing.

Alternate item source:
There is a pen in the South part of Moonglow island where 5-6 cotton grow. These look like cottonballs on stems. Another small source of cotton are the mainland fields outside Skara Brae.

Double-click them and a bale of cotton is on the ground. Pick it up. Repeat for all the plants.

You can ...
Sell it outright at a tailor shop ... about the same price as for wool. Or you can go through the process of spinning these to spools of thread and using the loom to make cloth from the thread. After that the same options apply.

G

This is for all those who wish to mine or lumberjack - at least. How to reduce weight for more carrying ability - with or without pack animals.

Mining:
Ore comes in 3 main sizes ... large: 12 stone and looks like a big pile; medium: 7 stone and two forms - a "splat" shape and a rosebud looking one; small: 2 stone and is also on Earth Elemental corpses.

You can combine several of a larger size to a smaller by double-clicking the pile and targeting the smaller size pile. Large to small the max count of large ore stack is about 7 or 8 and returns 4 small for each one large. So, a stack of 7 large can produce 28 small ore.

Pack animal carry weight is 1600 stone. That's 133 large, 228 medium or 800 small ore. Given the number of ingots from each size, it makes having 800 small ore the more ingot gain in the long run.

Lumberjacking:
Now this one is really common sense ... cut the logs to boards! Yeah, you have to lug along some froes or scorps, but this is a major weight reduction!

Again, your pack animal will be carrying a lot more of the boards than they will carry in logs.

G

From the Five On Friday for 01/11/2008, entitled “Fount of Facts”, these topics may help someone here. Granted EoO might be best in Paladin Forum, but IMO there's more activity here! &lt;shrug&gt;

<font color=red>Please note:</font color=red> Enhanced bandage has info in two different pieces ... original statement and a correction.
====
"There’s some confusion about enemy of one’s actual damage increase - is it 50% or 100% more damage?"

I checked with Draconi on this, and he said:

"It’s 50% more than your normal damage to your chosen enemy. So if you’re hitting for 80, multiply by 1.5 to get 120. Everything else though hits you for 100% more damage: double the trouble."<blockquote><u>T’Amon edit:</u>
Some Test Center work by Flin shows these as results:

Weapon only: 39-50 damage: Initial value i.e. 100%
Weapon + EoO: 61-75 damage: 150% of initial
Weapon + slayer: 78-102 damage: 200% of initial
Weapon + slayer + EoO: 116-144 damage: 300% of initial</blockquote>
"Enhanced Bandages - do they help if you're already at your skill cap?"
No - they give a +10 boost, but will NOT bring you up over your skill cap. (So, for Legendary Healers or Grandmasters who haven't used a Power Scroll, they won't actually help any more than normal bandies.)
=====
From the FoF for 01/25/08, a correction to enhanced bandage usage - from Jeremy.<blockquote>Leurocian looked over this again, and it turns out while we were partly right, we were also definitely wrong:

"Using enhanced bandages - even if you’re at your healing cap - will affect the amount of hit points healed. Enhanced bandages essentially adds 10 to your healing skill for the purposes of calculating the amount of hit points healed."

What they do NOT do is improve your success chance (say, for resurrection, which is 64% at GM.) So if you're capped out, they do provide a benefit, but it's a very specific benefit.

(Note: if you're NOT at the cap, one other thing enhanced bandages can do is bump you up over the minimum skill requirements for curing poison (60) and resurrecting (80.) You'll have a pretty low success chance, and you won't be able to gain skill from those attempts, but you can try 'em.)

Thanks to Athos for very kindly pointing out that we'd overlooked something
</blockquote>

G

Each shrine for the virtues has a mantra that can be said. When wearing the Ankh necklace, you may be granted temporary upgrades in one area or another. Stat buff, regen buff, etc ...

Mantras are:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Compassion - mu
Honesty - ahm
Honor - summ
Humility - lum
Justice - beh
Sacrifice - cah
Spirituality - om
Valor – ra

To meditate at the shrine of Spirituality, you must say "om om om" all on one line.

I believe the triple stating as noted above is required at all of them.

Here are the shrine Co-ordinates:
Chaos - 66 33'N, 9 29'E &lt;-- not a Virtue Shrine!!
Compassion - 65 49'N, 37 37'E
Honesty - 93 9'N, 156 57'W
Honor - 167 15'S, 28 15'E
Humility - 177 49'N, 152 31'W
Justice - 87 5'N, 1 37'W
Sacrifice - 117 14'N, 142 48'E
Spirituality - 76 1'S, 19 7'E
Valor - 157 20'N, 82 7'E

Original thread with a map is here. Thanks, Timberwolf!!

G

There are two types of "kite" shields ... Tear Kite and Metal Kite. The Metal Kite looks like this. Guess what? You can color it!

Get a standard dye tub and dyes from a tailor and go crazy. Some colors just won't really look right, but others do nicely.

G

From the 18 Jan 2008 Five on Friday - here:

"I have x as my profession title and I really want y - how do I change it?"

This is one of those that old-schoolers probably know and non-old-schoolers had no chance to ever learn. Here's a brief explanation of profession titles and how to change them:

The profession title displayed on your paperdoll is your highest skill in "real" or unmodified skill. This part can't be changed - if you're a GM Blacksmith, and you have 50 Tinkering, you can't get Tinkering to display on your paperdoll.

In the event of a tie, however, you have more control. The displayed title will be the first skill in alphabetical order that is marked "up" in the skill window. If they're all locked or set to "down," the displayed title will simply be the first one in alphabetical order. For example, if you have 100 Blacksmithing and 100 Tinkering and you want your title to be "Grandmaster Tinker," lock Blacksmithing and leave Tinkering set to rise.

(Yes, it's a rather arcane system - as I recall, it was implemented when skill locks were. Back in the day, skills rose or fell based on use or lack thereof, and you had no actual control over them - being a GM was usually temporary, because if you used any other skill it'd go up and knock your GM skill down. Trying to maintain a template was... well, uphill, in the snow, both ways. :p)

G

From a Five on Friday, dated 01 Feb 2008, clarification of Resisting Spells was made. This excerpt outlines WHAT is resisted to some extent. Please see this page for full details.<blockquote><hr>

RESISTING SPELLS
While the name of this skill may suggest that it helps with resisting all spells, this is not the case. This skill helps you lessen the severity of spells that lower your stats or ones that last for a specific duration of time. It does not prevent direct-damage spells, like Energy Bolt or Flamestrike. The spells that can be resisted are listed below:<pre>
Magery Spells:
Clumsy Mana Drain Paralyze Field
Weaken Curse Mana Vampire
Poison Feeblemind Paralyze
Poison Field

Necromancer Spells:
Blood Oath Mind Rot Corpse Skin
Pain Spike

Spellweaving Spells:
Thunderstorm Essence of Wind</pre>

[/ QUOTE ]

G

Orignal post has been moved to Paladin FAQ which is located here. It's a labeled response in that thread.

G

A thread in here prompted me to write this one up - when do you not need to carry gold to buy stuff.

<u>Player Vendors</u>
Whenever you buy something from player vendors, your bankbox will be checked for the purchase amount. Loose gold is used first, then purchase amounts deducted from any checks you have there.

If you have insufficient funding you will be advised and the sale will not continue.

<u>NPC Vendors/Shops</u>
When purchasing anything from NPC shops around the land, if the value of goods to be purchased is over 2000 gold, that amount will be deducted from your bankbox, just like with player vendors.

And these folks wil also advise you when there is insufficient funding available.