• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New library and player center

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am working on building a library and a new player center. I am looking for player written books, for example the history of your guild, adventures of your chacters. I've seen some guild histories, and found one adventure story at an idoc. The book was just left :( . I'm also looking for guides to help new players. These can be how to build skills, how to use the clients. I know i can write my own, but I'm being lazy. Also ideas of what our returning and brand new players need. So far I know of two people who are completely new to our wonderful world.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rowan

Last edited:

Celeztien

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Just curious, what do you feel qualifies you to be a guide for new players?
Cant someone do something nice for the shard without being questioned about it. she said she is building a place to assist new and returning players with guides for skill building and such. last time I checked you didnt need to be qualified to assist players.

Last edited:

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thank you Celeztien, for your support. Why do I think I can help new players:
1. The desire to do it. We need people to help our new players. This month I know of two new players we have lost.
2. As a former librarian, I know how to find information. Several great guides are already written, that was one reason I asked for them. Otherwise, I'll find those guides, rewrite them and provide them to new players. "Librarians, the ultimate search engine".
3. I know that I've not played as long as others, but I have played for 9 years using both clients and like new players, learning new things about the game every day.
4. A great shard with wonderful people who I can rely on for assistance and who also care about both our returning people and our new players :).

Last edited:

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cant someone do something nice for the shard without being questioned about it. she said she is building a place to assist new and returning players with guides for skill building and such. last time I checked you didnt need to be qualified to assist players.

I was not questioning the motive. I was questioning why, as a new player, would I want to take Tamais' advice as opposed to finding my own path or taking advice from a different player?
What is going to persuade me to believe Tanais' model of playing Ultima Online is the one that I should use?

A forum is a place to share, to ask questions and to gather information.

I'd love to know in your mind what it takes to find success as a player.

:loser:

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I agree that the forum is a great place for questions and discussions.

The services I' m offering the new players are not as much as advice rather a central place for information. Not all players know about statics and instead go to the ea UO site. I explain that's here is great info on this sight, uo forums and uo guide.

At first, I was learning the game on my own. There were so many things I had no idea how to do. For example, I didn't know how to use the spells,much less how to find more spells and add them to my spell book. Not understanding, that when I died, people couldn't see me or understand me. For some, those little things that we take for granted, frustrate them to the point they leave.

I'll often suggest guilds, other than my own, those that I know have people on often and are helping others.

As for wanting them to follow my playing style,I'd have to ask which one? I rp so I try to always be in character. I have tried all the different templates to see what works for the girls. The only thing I haven't done is pvp. So when a new player asks what I play and should they also do it, I will tell them what templates I use and why, but then explain that there are many different ones and. ask other players what they use. To check the different forums here, so they can find what works best for them.
As to what it takes to find success it depends on the person. For me success is good friends,helping others when I can, and having fun.

Last edited:

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thank you for the link and the suggestion,Petra Fyde. Since I'm very new at this, I'll get in touch with her and get some help. :)

Last edited:

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Just to chime in here. I ran a new player center for YEARS on this shard and no one ever asked me that question. Penana Car, no one but you decides what play style you use or how you do it! A new player center operator gives generously of themselves and at their own expense to anyone who comes and asks questions. They offer broad answers to new questioners and help give a leg up to young players just entering the UO world. It can make all the difference in the world to someone new and trying to find their way around. If there is someone on this shard with that kind of inner generosity, then more power to them!

I made armor, clothing, spellbooks and runebooks for years for free to anyone that asked and I'm glad to see the tradition is continuing in some form. If you don't want that ... just don't ask for it!

Tamais, I still have all the old books, histories, and such I used in my player center from 2003-2011, if I remember my years right. I would be happy to share with anyone and everyone who asks. I can make copies for you.

I am working on building a library and a new player center. I am looking for player written books, for example the history of your guild, adventures of your chacters. I've seen some guild histories, and found one adventure story at an idoc. The book was just left :( . I'm also looking for guides to help new players. These can be how to build skills, how to use the clients. I know i can write my own, but I'm being lazy. Also ideas of what our returning and brand new players need. So far I know of two people who are completely new to our wonderful world.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rowan

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Tamais, I still have all the old books, histories, and such I used in my player center from 2003-2011, if I remember my years right. I would be happy to share with anyone and everyone who asks. I can make copies for you.[/quote]

El! it is so wonderful to hear from you :). You have been missed. I would love to have copies of your books. One of the reasons I decided to start the new player center, was your centers. They were so well organized and helped so many of our new players. We are beginning to have new players again and returning players. The New Haven changes, have helped, but it is harder for both to get started again. All of us would love to have you return. Thank you so much for your help, both past and present. :)

Last edited:

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
At long last, the player center is open for inspection . :) I wish I had been able to open sooner but rl is a pain some times. Stop by any time today to look it over. Suggestions are very welcome, please leave them on the bulletin board. I want to thank all the people who helped me get it going. Next Saturday, there will be a grand opening party. I'll keep you all posted.

Pooker53

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Tamais,I have alot of things for you. Please pm me in here to set up a time so I can give them to you. BTW, the player center looks great !.Nice job.

DungHook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I have been around UO since 2005, with a few breaks in service do to RL annoyances. Recently I moved to LA shard and started a crafter and an ABC archer, hope to plant roots here. I would like to visit your place.

Let me know where your at and I will stop for a visit.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Welcome back. It is always wonderful to see new friends arrive. The player center is west of umbra. It is right on the road. If you can't find some thing you need, just leave a message on the bulletin board. I think Mars locked down a rune at his luna shop. I try to be on daily from 1:00pm to 4:00 pm az time. Right now that is is the same as mountain time. Just give a call in chat for Rowan. Hope to meet you soon

DungHook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back. It is always wonderful to see new friends arrive. The player center is west of umbra. It is right on the road. If you can't find some thing you need, just leave a message on the bulletin board. I think Mars locked down a rune at his luna shop. I try to be on daily from 1:00pm to 4:00 pm az time. Right now that is is the same as mountain time. Just give a call in chat for Rowan. Hope to meet you soon
Cool ty. RetiredTramp (archer) Will stop buy Friday. He's the one with the mighty steed. Dunghook (miner,LJ,crafter) walks everywhere towing a packhorse. To slow for visiting friends. :)