• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New laptop

L

Little Sadie

I am getting a new laptop. I just got the Dell Inspiron 1525 a couple of months ago and really like it. My 10 y/o daughter needs a new computer as hers always freezes up and would like a laptop. My husband thinks I should give her mine and I get a better one. We are looking at the Dell Studio 17. It looks really cool and has all kinds of stuff on it and by the time we load it up. The high def screen looks great too. Doesn't hurt that I can pick out an artist design for it! LOL! So does anyone have any experience with this laptop? I'd hate to give up my current one if this one isn't as good.

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sweet. Well I have no previous experience, but I did some research.

Dell Inspiron 1525 Specs

Dell Studio Specs

You would be upgrading with the Studio 17. You would get an extra GB of RAM, you are doubling the hard drive plus 10GB more, and bigger screen.
I'd say it's a fair upgrade! :thumbup:

P

Pinky Pepperpow

My humble opinion on laptops is get a Mac! I run 3 PC's and have 2 laptops. MacBook is my newest, they won me over quickly with their ease of use, top notch security (a Mac has never been hacked) and it easy to tote around. Worth the extra few bucks. Also the graphics are amazing as opposed to IBM compatible.

My 2 pennies on the topic!

L

Little Sadie

About Macs, it's just a matter of time. The more people that use them inspire the hackers to figure them out. I suggested a Mac but my husband said we would have to get everything for it. As it is we have 5 computers and 3 laptops in the house that are all Dell. So far we have never been hacked or had problems with our Dells. I have heard the great graphics Macs have and how good they are. I have never looked at the prices. The Studio was just over $2000 for everything I wanted. Is a Mac comparable or a lot higher.

Hmmm, that MacBook Pro 17 looks pretty good! Going to have to check that out.

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can probably get a MacBook Pro for around $2K. I wasn't going to be a pushover, but yeah you should just get a Mac. Since you have so many Dells, you'd be hooked up if you need to run Windows. You could also just spend the $200 and buy a Windows license. I put XP on mine and it runs great. My only problem is, you can't right click in Windows. In the Mac OS it's Ctrl-Click for right click. It's something they haven't figured out, but they say with an external mouse it can be done. I rarely use the Windows side much, but I have it if I need it.

I would go see one in person, the MacBook pro is even sexier than the MacBook I got. If you have a Best Buy near you, check online to see if they carry Apple. Some do, some don't. Go see one and touch it. You'll be sold..:lick:

L

Little Sadie

I'm definitely going to consider it. My husband, the avid Dell fan, said they are very nice. I love the MB Pro 17. It is so nice and thin. Almost 2lbs lighter the Studio I was looking at. So there is no Vista on it? What do I need Windows for? I only use my laptop for TT and surfing the web and posting. Can I do that without Windows? As you can tell, I am computer illiterate. LOL!

A

alisagrace86

i had a mac and i loved it! it was very easy to use :) it doesn't have windows but there is a program that you can put on mac to make it use windows i think it originally comes with safari? i don't remember but i do know i had to buy a program to run windows

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm definitely going to consider it. My husband, the avid Dell fan, said they are very nice. I love the MB Pro 17. It is so nice and thin. Almost 2lbs lighter the Studio I was looking at. So there is no Vista on it? What do I need Windows for? I only use my laptop for TT and surfing the web and posting. Can I do that without Windows? As you can tell, I am computer illiterate. LOL!

It has Mac OSX. It's not Windows, but it's made to be user friendly. It actually looks almost like Vista now. You use yours for about the same as I do, and I prefer doing all that on my Mac. The difference comes in when you want to buy software for it. Most software is Windows compatible. Well it will not work on a Mac, unless you buy a program or a full windows license like Alisa mentioned. It's becoming more mainstream and you can buy more made for Mac software. I would test drive one first, but they are very easy to use. If not a electronics store, an Apple store maybe? I'm not sure where the closest is to you, but you can go here to find the nearest.

L

Little Sadie

Think if I get one it will have to come direct from Apple. There are no stores in my area that sells Macbooks. I can go test drive one maybe at a Circuit City before they shut down maybe. I can get it built to my specs going right to Apple, right? We'll see.

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, you can customize it and order direct. That's how I ordered my first one.
Everytime I did that I would build it to how I would like it, and it would be like $4,000..lol Any questions, let us know!

L

Little Sadie

Wow! That is a lot of money for a laptop. LOL! I was looking at it and I would upgrade the memory and all that stuff. It would really get up there in price. I don't know if I want to spend that much since we just got this one recently. Decisions, decisions. Of course if I win big in AC Ill buy two. LOL!

L

loadexfa

I'd like to add another biased opinion. :) And my bias even has some professional experience behind it!

I used to be a Mac tech at MacMall years ago. After that I went independent and did on site computer repair for both Mac and Windows systems. I've been good at IBM clone computers for 16 or so years? now. I was good at this back when you had to free up conventional memory in DOS to make games work.

The short answer is I love Macs and would only consider them for my primary work system. At this point I like Vista too. Yeah, a Mac lover who likes Vista. But OS X is still more stable and the overall "Mac experience" is much more cohesive and stable. Macs are almost overdone when it comes to how they are designed and this includes the hardware as well as the software. And this shows in the daily experience.

Also, as much as I like Vista, it still has some issues that have plagued Windows since the beginning. One of them is the fact that Windows needs to be reinstalled every few years or it gets slower and slower and slooooower. I'm not totally sure why this is but my theory is it has to do with how Windows stores information about itself and it's installed software (the registry). Regardless of the reason, that is a reality with Windows systems. On the other hand, I have a first generation Mac Mini which I use as a server at home. That little system is rather old for a computer (5 years?) yet it continues to plug away and doesn't slow down over time.

My latest system is a Macbook (though it was supposed to have been a 17' Macbook Pro... lost a client and 50% of my income... ARG!). Considering it's Apple's entry level laptop, it performs quite well. And the default memory it comes with is enough even for running Windows at the same time as OS X for those moments when I need a Windows app.

Regarding purchasing extra memory, Apple generally overcharges for memory upgrades. I recommend going here, they have a very good reputation: http://www.crucial.com/

For running Windows I am aware of three options. Installing it on your Mac using Bootcamp (you will be able to restart your computer in Windows) which is free except for a Windows license. Or you can purchase software which allows you to run Windows at the same time as OS X (still need to purchase a Windows license). I've used both of these and prefer VMWare's Fusion (though they are both good)
VMWare Fusion: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/
Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/

Also, before you buy a Mac, it's highly recommended you check where Apple is in their release cycle for your intended product. You can do that (though the cycle is educated rumor rather than actual fact) here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Buying something and then having a much better version come out for the same price a couple weeks later is very frustrating (I did that with my iPod, ARG!)

If you compare dollar to dollar up front the Mac will tend to be more expensive (last I read that isn't the case with Mac Pros but that can change). But the TOC (total cost of ownership) is MUCH LOWER when you consider stability, lifetime of the product (or the need to reformat every 2 years with Windows) and overall experience. For your usage you won't even need to purchase anything (web browsing, TT and posting in forums). Although every Windows app doesn't exist on the Mac many of them (or some alternative) do. And for that ONE program you need, you can still run Windows on the Mac. The main hole is video games which is why I still purchase Windows desktop systems as well as Macs. But if TT is your video game there is no issue there, it works equally well on both systems.

If you have any specific software concerns, let me know, I tend to keep up on software that works on both platforms so I can use the same thing everywhere.

And when you're feeling really insane you need to try Linux! :lie:

My only problem is, you can't right click in Windows. In the Mac OS it's Ctrl-Click for right click. It's something they haven't figured out, but they say with an external mouse it can be done. I rarely use the Windows side much, but I have it if I need it.
Funny I never noticed that, I always use an external mouse unless I'm out with my laptop which is rare. I may be acting like an annoying Mac fanboy but.... that issue should be a lack of a proper driver on the Windows side so I think we should blame Microsoft for the lacking right-click in Windows. :)

Wow! That is a lot of money for a laptop. LOL! I was looking at it and I would upgrade the memory and all that stuff. It would really get up there in price. I don't know if I want to spend that much since we just got this one recently. Decisions, decisions. Of course if I win big in AC Ill buy two. LOL!
I already mentioned the RAM, for the hard drive upgrades, Apple's prices aren't unreasonable and the 7200 RPM drives tend to be worth the performance increase. From what I've read solid state drives are overpriced for what you get from Apple or anyone else. That should change as they get more mainstream which will force the price down. For upgrading the processor, I always discourage going for the fastest processor, computer companies always charge a premium which is rarely worth the upgrade from the next lowest option.

Hope that helps.

Josh

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yay a fellow Mac fanboy. My first Mac was a Blue Clamshell G3 iBook. Well I originally had a Toshiba, for one day, and the CD-ROM died. So I took it back and my dad thought the iBook looked cool. So we agreed to trade it in on that. That baby was blazing with its 32MB of RAM. It still works to this day, but I probably bought 3-4 power cords during it's life. That was one thing I disliked on how easy they bent. The same thing on the White iBook G4 that I previously had, I'd get up and rip it without noticing and off I had a bent power cord. The great thing though with the new MacBook is the magnet type power cord. I've pulled it on several times and it slides off without damage.

The mouse thing in Bootcamp is annoying, but while I could blame Windows, it does have a disclaimer that Apple will provide no support for it. It's alright though, everything else works good, so I'll cut them some slack!

I was going to start collecting old Macs, which I still kind of want to do. A few years ago I bought a Performa on EBAY for like $30. I also got a Apple Stylewriter printer, which we used at my mom's office for a few years. Even for OS 7.6 it was a good machine. She has since replaced it to go more high tech, but it did the job. Then I bought a Powerbook, which in it's day, was an expensive machine for $20 I think it was. I was happy because the woman left Photoshop and all of these other programs on it. She wasn't the smartest tool in the shed though, it had a ton of personal information on it too. Lucky for her I'm not a scam artist..haha

Macs are cool dude...:owned:

L

loadexfa

Heheh, yeah, Macs are cool. I always liked the OS even pre X. Though OS X was a HUGE leap forward. Especially for modern and developer use. All those UNIX tools coming built in. That's one major failure on Microsoft's part. Re-writing their core OS with NT was a very good idea (that was their first stable GUI os!). But that degraded over time and they still don't want to admit that UNIX is way more mature with a ton of awesome base tools. A chunk of OS X's stability is due to large portions of it coming from BSD which is known for security and stability (BSD is a flavor of Unix developed by Berkeley... this quote says it all: "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. ").

As much as this is fanboy speak, I think it's totally true that Jobs saved Apple. As good as the OS was, from what I hear he is the one who is obsessive over the cohesive design and innovation, something that had died at Apple for a while.

I'm going off topic but it's fun to have a product you like because it's actually really good at what it's supposed to do. I also love beaming about the tools from Google. :D

There are many companies who, at their core, do what they do just to make money (ahem, Microsoft) and others who, at their core, do what they do because they obviously love it (Apple, Google). Looks like the former is on the decline, especially in economic hard times (who wants to pay for crap?)

Josh

L

Little Sadie

You all are just going over my head. LOL! I have one question. Can I run two TT accounts at once while on a MAC like I can on Vista without an outside program? I run two toons at once most times and love the ease of doing so with Vista.

Also MacBook Pro 17s start at $2700. That doesn't include the upgraded stuff. Oh my!

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to start collecting old Macs, which I still kind of want to do.
I know of a Lisa for sale for the right price.. ;) what that price is I dunno... make an offer lol

L

loadexfa

You all are just going over my head. LOL! I have one question. Can I run two TT accounts at once while on a MAC like I can on Vista without an outside program? I run two toons at once most times and love the ease of doing so with Vista.

Also MacBook Pro 17s start at $2700. That doesn't include the upgraded stuff. Oh my!
Honestly I didn't know you could do that with Vista, how are you doing that, do you just open the TT app twice? I typically do that on two separate computers. I just tried and didn't see a way to do that on my Mac. I could
if I decided to boot up VMWare and run Windows and Mac at the same time.

Regarding the price, make sure you compare it to a PC with similar specs. The new Mac laptops were upgraded in many ways, not just the cool looking enclosure. They are all using Nvidia graphics (powerful for a laptop) and the RAM speed is faster (DDR3) than before. If the Mac appears to be around $200 more expensive, that's not unusual (but like I said before the stability and long term use makes up for that). If the price difference is more than that you are probably comparing it to a slower/weaker PC system.

Josh

L

Little Sadie

It is really easy to play two on one laptop or computer as long as you have Vista. Log in to one account as usual. Once your toon is up and in TT you bring up your task manager. End process for Toontown launcher. Now go back and log in again on your different account. You will have two accounts running.

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should be able to do it like this. I haven't tried it, as I do not have two accounts.
Oh and we don't have blue screens of death or frozen screens. It happens maybe once in 6 months that it may freeze, but usually not even that. Yeah yeah we are cool like that..:dunce:

L

Little Sadie

Are Macs known for a blue screen or something and you haven't experienced it? I've never heard of it.

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No PC's are known for the blue screen of death. You've never experienced it? Well since Vista they've come along way, but I see it happen every once and awhile on mine. Mac's are "Blue Screen of Death-Free". We don't mess around and stuff..lol

It looks something like this:

L

Little Sadie

Nope, never seen that blue screen. I get the gray screen of death when in a cog golf course once in a while. LOL!

Simon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[YOUTUBE]NvJs0-aBhqs[/YOUTUBE]

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I'm tired of those stupid Laptop Hunters commercials. Especially this one..

Laptop Hunters $2000 - Sheila gets an HP HDX

I just wanna smack that chick!

"This is the best Apple under $2k, and it only has 2GB of RAM"

Then she walks over to the shiny case HP that is a boat anchor. 2GB in Vista is totally a different story in OSX Leopard. 2GB is plenty, and for like $100 you can have 4GB if your heart so desires. Oh I want to be a film maker, you have fun doing that with Windows Movie Maker. No hate on WMM, but iMovie PWNS. Ok I'm done, those commercials just pees me off!

A

alisagrace86

hey i have a mac and can run too windows at once. :) it's easy you just have to remember to keep yourself from falling asleep lol that's happened to me before.