• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Chat Posted With Broadsword Team

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It has continually amaze me for eyars and years that we are always given the "can't manipulate the CC client to do that because of the old code" excuse. In the late 90s we had people that could program it, why can't anyone program in the CC now?

I'm no programmer, but I don't understand this. We don't use DOS anymore but I bet you could still find some DOS programmers out there LOL.
Everyone at UO who ever knew the old CC client code has been FIRED or quit long time ago when EA had them moving all over the place and yanked them out of Austin. Bleak is the only coder as far as I know at UO anymore. Misk is only the tester, Mesanna while the Producer started as a Tester, Onifrk is an artist and IMO not that good of one, which leaves Kyronix. Now he was just a player and whether or not he knows the code I really don't know. But his love for UO is strong without question and infact I would never question the love any of the team has for UO. But Bleak said himself he's been with the company only 8 or 9 years. Which my guess is he wasn't working on the old CC code. My guess is he started KR/EC... So that he knows. There are NO other DEVs on the Team as far as I know. Hope that explains the situation for you. But that's it in a nutshell.

I'm sure there are coders out there who would know the old system used at UO to run the CC.... however most of them probably have LONG since moved on to better things to work with than what UO was coded in LONG time ago and wouldn't want to go back into the dark ages of coding.... not to mention I highly doubt that they are hiring a new coder. Seems to me this is the size of the "team" for the foreseeable future. Besides which anyone hired to go back through all that code would likely spend the next 3 years doing nothing but that and wouldn't really "help" anything current.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I guess what I gather from this nearly unintelligible nonsense is that because YOU use the CC, you think everyone else does. Pretty typical. Also hilarious that you posted the interview yet appear to have either not listened to it or misinterpreted it.

If you consider disagreeing with you being obnoxious or trolling, that's on you bud. Just pointing out your mistake made due either to ignorance or obvious bias. Keep up the cliche forum lines though, it made you look really no-nonsense and edgy.
You show up 3 days ago, only post in this thread. So I'm inclined to say your interview sucked ;) Then you trash my avatar, when you don't even have one. How is that "constructive"? That's being a troll. Secondly I've only quoted facts straight from the interview. If you can't deal with that, too bad. Some yoyo from left field appears out of no where and insults my avatar as as opening comment, were not going to be friends. That has nothing to do with nothing. Troll on.. on to somewhere else would be great! PS no mistakes made other than continuing to reply to you. Your not worth the time. If you can't deal with the CC being the popular client, that's not my problem. That's just the way it is. Deal.

Heretic

Visitor
It's CLEAR they don't understand the CC code but do understand the EC code they made. From the interview. Deal dude, just cause you lie doesn't make it so.
Umm, ok? Anyone that listened to the interview heard what they said. At this point I can only assume you forgot what you're even talking about.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Umm, ok? Anyone that listened to the interview heard what they said. At this point I can only assume you forgot what you're even talking about.
Well at least I post facts and didn't just say "No she didn't" or "That didn't happen". Quotes are straight from the interview. As far as the CC client goes Mesanna has called it a "mess" and tons of other comments along with they're mostly afraid to touch it. You touch one part of the code and it ripples all over. There was tons of talking about it during Castle Customization. That is they don't understand it. What else would you call it? Much like I don't understand you, lol. Of course you only showed up 3 days ago so how would you know? What am I suppose to comprehend from " Did not" 'No she didn't" lol Your fingers keep typing but your not saying anything. Other than a weak sauce attempt at being insulting. Post some quotes, show me I'm wrong. Anyone that listened to the interview knows you full of it.

Heretic

Visitor
Well at least I post facts and didn't just say "No she didn't" or "That didn't happen". Quotes are straight from the interview. As far as the CC client goes Mesanna has called it a "mess" and tons of other comments along with they're mostly afraid to touch it. You touch one part of the code and it ripples all over. There was tons of talking about it during Castle Customization. That is they don't understand it. What else would you call it? Much like I don't understand you, lol. Of course you only showed up 3 days ago so how would you know? What am I suppose to comprehend from " Did not" 'No she didn't" lol Your fingers keep typing but your not saying anything. Other than a weak sauce attempt at being insulting. Post some quotes, show me I'm wrong. Anyone that listened to the interview knows you full of it.
You about done? You just admitted you can't understand me, then ask me to explain myself further? Why are you asking me to quote things you can simply press a play button on? You are NOT posting facts. You're posting opinions and interpretations. I suggest you listen to the interview again and maybe take some notes to form a valid argument upon.

In the end, and luckily for the rest of us, your opinion doesn't change the facts. The classic client is not the dev's focus, never will be, and you're (not "your) going to have to "deal."

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Classic client isn't going anywhere it's the more popular client"
"EC is getting all the updates because we can't mess with the CLassic code"

Sounds like they know the CC is more popular can't do anything to innovate it any further. So basically are updating the EC in hopes it becomes more popular than the CC so they could potentially scrap it.

My shop sells flip flops, but I'm too stupid to order them, so I'll buy cooler new sandals..therefore I force my customers to buy them...muahahaha genious!!!

"UO dev team Logic!"

And heretic why are you posting? He didn't say Classic client will **** the EC down tmrw. He pretty much verbatim mirrored what bleak or whoever that was said. "CC is the more popular client"

But don't worry you still have that moment Mesanna said the clients are almost 50/50..even though almost likely meant 70/30..regardless! Have a splendid evening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heretic

Visitor

Sounds like they know the CC is more popular can't do anything to innovate it any further. So basically are updating the EC in hopes it becomes more popular than the CC so they could potentially scrap it.

My shop sells flip flops, but I'm too stupid to order them, so I'll buy cooler new sandals..therefore I force my customers to buy them...muahahaha genious!!!

"UO dev team Logic!"

And heretic why are you posting? He didn't say Classic client will **** the EC down tmrw. He pretty much verbatim mirrored what bleak or whoever that was said. "CC is the more popular client"

But don't worry you still have that moment Mesanna said the clients are almost 50/50..even though almost likely meant 70/30..regardless! Have a splendid evening

The funny thing about quotes is that you actually have to repeat what the person said. Bleak never said the CC is the most popular client. Try again though, this is super interesting to everyone I'm sure.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The funny thing about quotes is that you actually have to repeat what the person said. Bleak never said the CC is the most popular client. Try again though, this is super interesting to everyone I'm sure.
Oh if you think anyone cares about us flinging poop at each other, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting lol

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

"UO dev team Logic!"

*TAG* You deal with her. I'm done lol I can only run in circles with her for so long before it gets dull ;)

Heretic

Visitor
Let's not be confused by the facts? It is funny to see you argue something when your completely wrong. Anyone can listen to it. Your just a troll. You can't back up one single thing you say while all my statements are documented. I'm done with you. Personal attacks are all ya got? A typo?? lol My avatar?? You're a sad pathetic individual if you think a personal attack wins the day here. If I have it in quotes it's verbatim (you can look up what that means). I'm not adding or subtracting from it. I won this fair and square. No reason to continue. I'm sure you'll want to continue repeating your nonsense over and over so enjoy! I didn't proof read this so I'm sure you can make a big deal outta it ;) I got you pegged but I can't post it here, lol. Be happy to take the gloves off in PM's if you wish :)
ZZzZzzzzZzzzzz

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok everyone, discussing the topic is fine, but there is really no need to be attacking each other, if you guys want to continue the argument please only do so through PM's. Thanks.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps if they want a successful client to replace the CC, they should actually reamake the CC with code that they can understand, with some of the better new features from the failed clients. So much time wasted to replace the CC for many years now, when all that was needed was to rewrite a fclient to be the same as CC but upgradeable. I do not understand why that is hard to get across. Make a new client, that can have toolbars and all that, but make it like the CC and then you can replace the CC with a new client and only have to support one. As far as the EC being needed to identify colors, etc etc, we used to have free simple to use programs to do most of that work for us, but for some reason all those got dropped? Incorporate some of those into the new CC as well, code in a new map as well, heck, I would forgo expansions and stuff to get the new CC (not 3d, not EC,) CC made. It isn't like the expansion is gonna make em any money anyway, since we all got it free. :p

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
It has continually amaze me for eyars and years that we are always given the "can't manipulate the CC client to do that because of the old code" excuse. In the late 90s we had people that could program it, why can't anyone program in the CC now?

I'm no programmer, but I don't understand this. We don't use DOS anymore but I bet you could still find some DOS programmers out there LOL.
The CC is customized code - you have to remember UO was a ground-breaking game doing things no one had done before, particularly with housing and item storage. As time marched on, the notes on this custom code got lost (some story about an intern throwing away "the bible" during a move comes to mind). I'm a Java person and I've made custom software so yeah, kinda know what this is about. Had to pick up a project from a person who didn't believe in documentation - it was a nightmare and I spent months just documenting the existing (broken) software before I could do anything to it. And that was a small ecommerce site, not a game with several forks (meaning shards) and years of data behind it.

Programming, particularly customized programming, is not easy to just pick up and re-work. Without notes, documentation, and yes, a schematic - it is near impossible for someone to simply pick up and alter code without breaking it.

Now, can it be done? Yes - but reverse engineering takes a lot of time in a secluded environment with lots of testing - all of which takes a whole lot of money which is hard to come by for small development studios. I'm sure they are working through it as they move forward, but is most likely a "back burner project" which is probably done in tandem with live projects and documented thoroughly.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also hilarious that you posted the interview yet appear to have either not listened to it or misinterpreted it.
Please feel free to enlighten us on any FACT that has been misinterpreted and if you are so inclined why don't you provide a written transcript of your interview with the UO Team.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*shuts the tavern door and heads down the street to another of his favorite establishment*

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just listened to the interview. In between all the interviewer's throat-clearing, nervous laughter and disorganized questions, I think he was trying to mimic a news anchor voice? Maybe a podcaster who bit off more than he had time to prepare for. Not a crime and I hope he sticks with it. But yes it was awkward. Mesanna and Kyronix are evidently press-trained and know their way around an awkward interview. If I were Mesanna, I wouldn't put it on the front page of UO.com, I'm sure she values her relationship with her publisher. Advertising for SotA and bringing up EA's contentious relationship with Steam, at least in the open-ended way the interviewer did, were certainly no-nos, and it was obvious those curve balls weren't discussed beforehand.

But I finally got the direct answer that I've been wanting on the art revamp front, loud and clear. I'm really disappointed about that. But if they don't have the resources, what can I say? I guess I'm wondering what the heck compelled them to tout it in the first place. Hubris???

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since there's no art revamp, let me ask you CC users a serious question. If they copied all of the tiles, sprites, every art asset out of the CC, and stuck it in the EC as a full-blown graphical option, would any of you think about switching to the EC?

I like the EC for its ease of use and less clicking, but I actually dislike almost every creature compared to the CC's original art direction. In the CC, even repond like trolls and ettins tower over our characters, and are based more on the franchise's roots (including several single-player Ultima monster manuals). It's pretty obvious that the artists who made the newer stuff were cheaply acquired third parties who didn't know or care about Ultima.

Still, I like my hot bag that sucks the loot out of a corpse just by right-clicking once. I like having nicely organized hotbars (see below). I like "designing" my own GUI, choosing what buttons I want on the screen, and dragging them where I want. I like some of the environmental art, but I would overall prefer the CC's classic art style. I often switch to the classic container style (with one click...lower-right backpack button). Except, in case it's not clear by now, I can't live without my customizable GUI.

So if I started requesting for, basically, the CC but with the EC's customizable GUI, would I be alone in that?

2015-10-20_00003.png

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Even if they used the CC's art in the EC, I still probably would not switch over to EC. It's hard to explain to people that like the EC, but for many of us who have been in UO for 10+ years, anything other than the classic client just isn't the real UO.

It's kind of like when Coca-Cola created "new coke". They thought it was some genius idea to change the recipe that had been working for years, and even though it was "technically" still coke, they realized that it was terrible and most of their original customers hated it. They then wisely went back to the original recipe that people liked.

The original recipe that caused the success of UO was the CC. The EC is "new coke".

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Why is it that we can't discuss CC vs EC without it getting nasty? Seriously. Both have their positives and negatives. Some people play one, some people play the other, some people pop into both. There's no need to get nasty about it--it's a personal preference. Playing one client or the other does not affect people who prefer the other one in any way whatsoever. We're all here because we like the same game, right?

:grouphug:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Even if they used the CC's art in the EC, I still probably would not switch over to EC. It's hard to explain to people that like the EC, but for many of us who have been in UO for 10+ years, anything other than the classic client just isn't the real UO.

It's kind of like when Coca-Cola created "new coke". They thought it was some genius idea to change the recipe that had been working for years, and even though it was "technically" still coke, they realized that it was terrible and most of their original customers hated it. They then wisely went back to the original recipe that people liked.

The original recipe that caused the success of UO was the CC. The EC is "new coke".
Not sure if this is the best analogy here to compare a consumer product to a tech platform. The way I look at it is CC is like dial-up AOL versus the EC being broadband, or the CC being like MySpace while the EC is like Facebook. By that I mean that they get so set in their ways and refuse to adapt until it's too late. (And also admittedly, probably still not the best analogy either.)

I'm totally fine with there being two clients. We're never going to get a truly 3D client at this point unless the game's fortunes had a massive turn around. Mesanna said the split was 50/50 a year or so ago, although in this latest interview they say CC is more popular. It should be said that more popular does not equate to "better product". Whenever I introduce this game to any friends, the first thing they do is double whopper with cheese all over the graphics and interface (both CC or EC), and immediately write it off. The gamers I talk to in my accounting office think I'm the biggest nerd for playing this 'ancient game'. I understand there are plenty of folks who consider CC to be the only true Ultima Online for them and would leave if this was removed from the game or substantially altered. However, it also is what causes many others to never even give it a chance. It's a double edged sword that will ultimately contribute to the death of the game.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the art was exactly the same as CC, yes i think most would prefer the functionality the EC has.

Art has to be exactly the same tho, not "almost"

take for instance the backpack, if you toggle to "classic view" the items still look pretty bad, very grainy and color is off.
i would never want the EC box style backpack because it just appears cumbersome and disorganized. its much easier to efficiently organize, and find (without scrolling) things in a classic no-box pack for many. i would never want to switch to the box-only mess.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If the art was exactly the same as CC, yes i think most would prefer the functionality the EC has.

Art has to be exactly the same tho, not "almost"

take for instance the backpack, if you toggle to "classic view" the items still look pretty bad, very grainy and color is off.
i would never want the EC box style backpack because it just appears cumbersome and disorganized. its much easier to efficiently organize, and find (without scrolling) things in a classic no-box pack for many. i would never want to switch to the box-only mess.
Respectfully, I believe it's the complete opposite. It's CC back packs that are a mess. The box style or list style of EC make it so much easier to find anything. For a sampire who has several weapons for each slayer or spawn boss, or a mage that has dozens of scrappers and other books, list view or box view make it much easier to find items or see them. Everyone of my scrapper slayers is dyed a color that I recognize, as are my rune books and other spell books. Same for when you die and your entire back pack explodes, it is so much easier to quickly re-organize with EC back packs compared to CC style. I also like to see the names of my items in list view. The ugly back packs in CC is one of the biggest factors of what keeps me away from that client, as I prefer my bags to be meticulously organized and have the ability to re-organize quickly and efficiently upon dying. Maybe it's just my style of preference, but I find it much easier to find items by name by scrolling through my pack rather than an exploded bag that shows no names and has items on top of one another.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Merlin

backpack.png

with roughly 40 items in first level of backpack (other pack is mostly for loot) its just not possible to see that many items in the boxed off pack (i think its only 20 without needing to scroll)

we will agree to disagree ? :) i guess i just like to see everything, having to search a list, scroll at all, or type to find something just seems time consuming and tedious to me.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
We will never agree about the 2 clients :p
It have to look the same, also backpack and avatar.
And trans circle need to work as CC and I'm sure there are a lot other I always give up EC
I just not feel home with that client

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think what most people want is the EC with the CC mobiles if that's possible. Not sure it is. As well as the CC Paperdoll... I would be ok if those were options. But I highly doubt you'd get to many to switch. Many don't like the fact that the EC footsteps and the actual characters movement are NOT in sync so it seems wrong and makes your eyes buggy trying to sync the movement and sound... I wish there was a toggle to turn the frelling rain off... If it rained as much as I see it Rain in Yew where my house is I'd be living in a boathouse. It's NEVER ENDING.

Also I'd like to be able to turn the stinking ground shaking off when people use earthquake.... it was "cute" the first 10 times but when your trying to kill a mob in the middle of a spawn or at an EM event and the screen is constantly shaking from folk spamming on the earthquake it makes me want to vomit and gives me a headache.

But if people are going to be playing more of the EC then some things really have GOT to be fixed.

These are just 2 small examples of the ugliness I see EVERY day along the shores of UO. It's awful ...... and whats more disturbing is that no one seems to care. Yes I live in a game that looks like someone took a cookie cutter to it... looks like crap and it has for years because NO ONE will fix it. Sure there are more "important" things to fix but you know .... when folk are looking over my shoulder and giggling about it....... kinda hard to interest them in UO. "*Giggles* Looks like someone took a zipper to your coastline! Haha!" "Yeah well it's not that bad" "Ha.... so how long has it been like that?" "*sigh* Since the EC was introduced I don't know.".... "So how long?" "A few years..." "Seriously? And it's not been fixed? *Laugh*..."..... "*sigh*".... "Dude why you still play that crap is beyond me... it's hideous... do they not care about the game?"... "I like my game beat it..."

Is pretty much how the conversation goes. And sadly anywhere I try to take folk to see how awesome the game is... I end up running past something like this. And they go.... "Wait what is that?!" "So is this game in Beta?".... Believe it or not many years late the EC is STILL in beta.... at least it feels like it.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Now I'm wondering about that Capt. Lucky avatar ...
I'm really open with my life. I have nothing to hide. Do I make massive mistakes? Yes we all do, learn and move on. But that's me in the avatar pic. That's my Facebook pic. My name Capt. Lucky is the same name I use in game on my main shards (Legends and Great Lakes). Captain Lucky is a crafter on both shards and one of my mains I play regularly. So I don't hide, sneak around, or do things I feel would dishonor myself. If I do you know who I am. I'm not a faceless troll on the internet. I'm a troll with a face! lol Being very transparent I hope this keeps me in line a bit. To try to be civil even if I don't think the situation calls for it, lol. But if someone bases an argument against me trying to be "cute", insulting my looks, going for typos, and offering no evidence to support their opinion I have my limits. Personally I think it's a lovely avatar ;) I actually had thoughts of changing it to something more UO like. Like a pic of the in game Captain Lucky. But since someone made such a big deal outta it I'm not going to be harassed into changing it. Maybe in a few months. Or when I decide.

I see the CC/EC thing like Fel/Trammel, Democrats/Republicans etc. I've always felt the CC/EC thing is just friendly tongue in cheek poking at each other. All the lip service we give the issue doesn't change a thing. Which ever client you learned the game on is probably what your going to stick with. Both clients will be running when the lights go off. My only real opinion on the whole thing is when I hear the attitude they're not even going to try to up grade the CC client it grinds me. That's the client that brought you to the dance. You try FIRST, then if you give it your best effort and fail, fair enough. But to be afraid to even try is certainly never going to achieve anything.

Try you must!

08.jpg

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm really open with my life. I have nothing to hide. Do I make massive mistakes? Yes we all do, learn and move on. But that's me in the avatar pic. That's my Facebook pic. My name Capt. Lucky is the same name I use in game on my main shards (Legends and Great Lakes). Captain Lucky is a crafter on both shards and one of my mains I play regularly. So I don't hide, sneak around, or do things I feel would dishonor myself. If I do you know who I am. I'm not a faceless troll on the internet. I'm a troll with a face! lol Being very transparent I hope this keeps me in line a bit. To try to be civil even if I don't think the situation calls for it, lol. But if someone bases an argument against me trying to be "cute", insulting my looks, going for typos, and offering no evidence to support their opinion I have my limits. Personally I think it's a lovely avatar ;) I actually had thought of changing it to something more UO like. Like a pic of the in game Captain Lucky. But since someone made such a big deal outta it I'm not going to be harassed into changing it. Maybe in a few months. Or when I decide.

I see the CC/EC thing like Fel/Trammel, Democrats/Republicans etc. I've always felt the CC/EC thing is just friendly tongue in cheek poking at each other. All the lip service we give the issue doesn't change a thing. Which ever client you learned the game on is probably what your going to stick with. Both clients will be running when the lights go off. My only real opinion on the whole thing is when I hear the attitude they're not even going to try to up grade the CC client it grinds me. That's the client that brought you to the dance. You try FIRST, then if you give it your best effort and fail, fair enough. But to be afraid to even try is certainly never going to achieve anything.

Try you must!

View attachment 39908
Afraid or not if they irreparably bork it up they close it down... just saying.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Afraid or not if they irreparably bork it up they close it down... just saying.
Reverts and back ups are not the end of the world. Ask Atlantic, they're still going strong :) Would it suck to have the game reverted 2 or 3 days. Yeah that sucks. But how much does it suck to say "we are afraid to try". That to me is far far worse.

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
And therefore, EasyUO is also here to stay...

Just saying...
I know it exists but have never used it. I have the legal UO Assist and honestly never use it either. Illegal programs are possible with any client in any game. Difference being some game companies don't stand by and ignore it. Some game companies take action. That's an EA decision. There's no difference between the EC/CC with illegal program possibilities. If Broadsword chooses not to bring the CC up to speed with the EC that only encourages this type of thing. Promoting illegal programs here by name and drawing attention to them doesn't help either ;)

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I know it exists but have never used it. I have the legal UO Assist and honestly never use it either. Illegal programs are possible with any client in any game. Difference being some game companies don't stand by and ignore it. Some game companies take action. That's an EA decision. There's no difference between the EC/CC with illegal program possibilities. If Broadsword chooses not to bring the CC up to speed with the EC that only encourages this type of thing. Promoting illegal programs here by name and drawing attention to them doesn't help either ;)
There is no "you know what 3rd party program" for EC, and it will be harder to make. However not impossible. "you know what 3rd party program" was created when UO was really popular and people put time on it, I doubt on these times somebody would create something similar for EC, as UO is not as popular as it used to be. Still, not impossible. So you're probably right, if CC is shut down not only we will lose a lot of players, but yes there is the possibility something like "you know what 3rd party program" would be created for EC.

I actually wish there was more support for CC. I think it is a pretty robust client, and I like the graphics. Having two clients is kind of weird. I use EC because of the resolution, the gameplay screen of CC is incredibly small on my monitor, and it hurts my eyes a lot. I do miss CC, a lot.

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
There is no EasyUO for EC, and it will be harder to make. However not impossible. EasyUO was created when UO was really popular and people put time on it, I doubt on these times somebody would create something similar for EC, as UO is not as popular as it used to be. Still, not impossible. So you're probably right, if CC is shut down not only we will lose a lot of players, but yes there is the possibility something like EasyUO would be created for EC.

I actually wish there was more support for CC. I think it is a pretty robust client, and I like the graphics. Having two clients is kind of weird. I use EC because of the resolution, the gameplay screen of CC is incredibly small on my monitor, and it hurts my eyes a lot. I do miss CC, a lot.
This is what my screen looks like with my crafter on the CC. I wouldn't want it any larger cause I like some space to put my pack and all. Although you can make the game window full screen if you wish. There's a lot of options hidden in the CC settings. I'd think you could make the CC a very acceptable size if you wished. Considering my monitor is probably twice the size of that screen shot it's a nice size for my old eyes :)

Untitled.jpg

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'll take a screenshot of my CC on the largest possible setting and you'll see... I have like 20 times the amount of black space you have there, and the size of the game window is tiny, I am not joking, it is incredibly annoying. It is just a kind of big, very high res ultra-wide monitor. I didn't think it would ruin my CC UO experience before buying it, and I work sometimes from home and really need that high-quality monitor for my job. I also play modern video games that require a higher end monitor. I've thought about buying a cheap old school square monitor that I could use to play UO, but I don't know setting that up would be kind of annoying and would add more cluster in my apartment. Oh well....

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The majority of the last dozen reported posts have come from this thread. I suggest folks brush up on the RoC a bit and leave off naming and discussing unapproved software, and in general being ungracious to each other. Otherwise one of those nasty old stuffy Moderator types will come by with a padlock and close down this thread.

Rules of Conduct | Stratics

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The majority of the last dozen reported posts have come from this thread. I suggest folks brush up on the RoC a bit and leave off naming and discussing unapproved software, and in general being ungracious to each other. Otherwise one of those nasty old stuffy Moderator types will come by with a padlock and close down this thread.

I don't see where it says you can't "name" these programs. I am not writing a post about these programs, or promoting them. I am just mentioning that a ton of people use it, which is a solid truth. If people want to turn their backs and pretend it isn't real, well that's their choice.

I did edit my older posts though.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't see where it says you can't "name" these programs. I am not writing a post about these programs, or promoting them. I am just mentioning that a ton of people use it, which is a solid truth. If people want to turn their backs and pretend it isn't real, well that's their choice.

I did edit my older posts though.
  • Activities that are against any games' Terms of Service or User Agreement are prohibited from being promoted or advertised on our network. This includes, but is not limited to posts related to the following:
  1. Unauthorized third party programs.
By naming them you are providing word of mouth advertisement.

Ossy

Adventurer
Never heard of Shroud of the Avatar until here. Sounds interesting, but reading up on it is confusing.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Since there's no art revamp, let me ask you CC users a serious question. If they copied all of the tiles, sprites, every art asset out of the CC, and stuck it in the EC as a full-blown graphical option, would any of you think about switching to the EC?

I like the EC for its ease of use and less clicking, but I actually dislike almost every creature compared to the CC's original art direction. In the CC, even repond like trolls and ettins tower over our characters, and are based more on the franchise's roots (including several single-player Ultima monster manuals). It's pretty obvious that the artists who made the newer stuff were cheaply acquired third parties who didn't know or care about Ultima.

Still, I like my hot bag that sucks the loot out of a corpse just by right-clicking once. I like having nicely organized hotbars (see below). I like "designing" my own GUI, choosing what buttons I want on the screen, and dragging them where I want. I like some of the environmental art, but I would overall prefer the CC's classic art style. I often switch to the classic container style (with one click...lower-right backpack button). Except, in case it's not clear by now, I can't live without my customizable GUI.

So if I started requesting for, basically, the CC but with the EC's customizable GUI, would I be alone in that?

View attachment 39898
I would support this. The EC is a much better client, takes a bit to get used to it but it is better. The CC graphics are much better than EC graphics.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'll take a screenshot of my CC on the largest possible setting and you'll see... I have like 20 times the amount of black space you have there, and the size of the game window is tiny, I am not joking, it is incredibly annoying. It is just a kind of big, very high res ultra-wide monitor. I didn't think it would ruin my CC UO experience before buying it, and I work sometimes from home and really need that high-quality monitor for my job. I also play modern video games that require a higher end monitor. I've thought about buying a cheap old school square monitor that I could use to play UO, but I don't know setting that up would be kind of annoying and would add more cluster in my apartment. Oh well....
This is Windows 10 btw. Right click the UO icon. Properties. Compatibility. Check the box "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Enjoy! I went through the same thing!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

I dig there's a fine line between moderating fairly and being a tyrant. But if the person who was posting personal insults originally, in the now deleted post, had been dealt with promptly that would have been minor issues at worst. Especially someone who created a dummy account to do so.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Never heard of Shroud of the Avatar until here. Sounds interesting, but reading up on it is confusing.
Ya know it's a good looking game and all but it's not *really* a MMO. At least not as we've experienced before this. There's suppose to be something you can play off line. Then last I read not everyone is in the same world at the same time. It's like a high rise and all the players play in separate little rooms in that high rise and may or may not encounter the players in the other rooms. Pretty sure he was looking at perma death too. I'm sure there's a lot that will be modified before the game goes live but it sounds like a bizarre concept to me. I think everyone likes and appreciate Garriott for giving us Ultima and Ultima Online, but what he's up to now sounds pretty strange. Tabula Rasa fell on it's face so he doesn't hit a home run every time. I hope he rethinks some of what he plans to do in SOA cause it really sounds weird.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
with roughly 40 items in first level of backpack (other pack is mostly for loot) its just not possible to see that many items in the boxed off pack (i think its only 20 without needing to scroll)
The default UI grid backpack has 4x5 rows and 1 row showing about 2/3rds, so essentially 25 items is the minimum shown. Pinco's UI (the downloaded version) has a minimum of 25 fully showing.

However, you can make the backpack as big as you want and show as many items as you want. You can both resize the window to show more rows, or even more items per row, and Pinco's also allows you to scale the whole gump to be as tiny or as big as your eyes desire.

Something that a many EC users I know do is to put standard items in the bottom rows of the pack, spellbooks, weapons, runebooks, etc, then have them macroed to pop into their hands or in hotbars for use. This leaves the top rows of the pack wide open for new loot and temporary items, making them easy to find/use. (And no, the bottom rows do not have to be showing in the pack.)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ya know it's a good looking game and all but it's not *really* a MMO. At least not as we've experienced before this. There's suppose to be something you can play off line. Then last I read not everyone is in the same world at the same time. It's like a high rise and all the players play in separate little rooms in that high rise and may or may not encounter the players in the other rooms. Pretty sure he was looking at perma death too. I'm sure there's a lot that will be modified before the game goes live but it sounds like a bizarre concept to me. I think everyone likes and appreciate Garriott for giving us Ultima and Ultima Online, but what he's up to now sounds pretty strange. Tabula Rasa fell on it's face so he doesn't hit a home run every time. I hope he rethinks some of what he plans to do in SOA cause it really sounds weird.
As it is it sucks and I'm glad I didn't throw money at a wasted endeavor which I'm sure this will be. And your right the way it is you will not encounter other players and it's not an MMO.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
SotA just seems like a massive, shameless cash grab at this point. They've raised massive amounts on Kickstarter and still want more...

After Garriott's Tabula Rasa debacle, he seems hell bent on making as much money as he can in any shady way he can (not-so-micro transactions galore).