• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New acc issue - cannot register UO.

L

lordex

Hello.
I apologize in advance, if this is the wrong place for that kind of topic, but couldn't find any better place.

Anyway, the thing is.. well, let me tell You what I've done so far.

I've made an account on EA site ( https://account.ea.com/myacct/uo/uo-hub.jsp?skin=uo ).

I downloaded the client (UO: KR trial). I bought Mondain's Legacy Account Creation Code from a reseller (paybycash). I got the code after making payments...

And now is the problem - when i try to register the game in my UO in my account - i can't pass through the Credit Card information page. I fill every necessary fields, i choose proper Billing options - and when I hit OK - nothing happens. I mean - it's just like I'd press the "Refresh page button" (fields: Payment type, CC number and expiration date gets blank) - no errors or something - just nothing happens.

I tried it on IE 6.6/ 7, Firefox 3.x, tried to clear cache in FF and then try again - nothing works. Looks to me like there's something wrong with Java scripts or something.. but don't know for sure.

Anyone else have had this kind of problem? Any ideas? Sugestion?
I've fought with it since yesterday... and I'm out of ideas :)

Thanks in advance for help
LorDex

M

Marcus Blackwell

May want to just call them up and see if you can register an new account over the phone or send them an email explaining the problems your having with the website to let EA know whats going on..This is really sad how are new people suppose to join UO if they cant even register for UO. Ive heard some have had trouble ordering UO on the codes site cause inorder to order the account code you have to have an account..sighs. Oh before I forget the number you might try calling to see if you can open/register an account by phone is 1-866-543-5435.

L

lordex

Yeah, it is kinda sad... Basically you WANT to give them money, but you CAN'T... anyway - thanx for the advice - I was going to call them - but EA secton in my country. I did so - there was an answering machine says something about "you can call us in workdays between 9 and 14"... for me? - it's a joke... But what to do... eh.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been crusading against UOGamecodes.com's new account code issue (see some of my recent posts). Be forewarned-- reports of purchasing issues can be considered rants by forum moderators, and promptly forwarded to the UO Spiels N Rants sub-forum, if not written with care.

It has been difficult to communicate the severity of purchasing issues to EA. EA Support and Mythic have received several reports from me over the past few weeks. I believe this could be a problem next year, if Ultima Online is unable to obtain the influx of new customers necessary to ensure that Stygian Abyss is considered a success [as a result of these purchasing issues].

I have replied to every single form letter that EA Support has sent me. These form letters always maintain the same stance-- that barring new customers from purchasing New Account Codes is not a design issue, or any other kind of mistake.

Sigh.

So it is no longer possible to purchase a New Account Code via an official channel. On top of this, EA Support told me in their own words that new support representatives are no longer being trained to handle Ultima Online account problems.

No matter; these are merely obstacles. I think we should keep pushing for purchasing issues to be resolved. EA is a big company, and as with other big companies, sometimes it can take a while to make your voice heard.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One more thing, for the ambivalent among you.

Ultima Online is still popular. 135,000 active subscribers is nothing to scoff at. But games can suffer when competing studios demand more resources from the same publisher. Imagine siblings vying for parental attention. And no one has to be reminded that times are tough right now.

This often has more to do with personalities than numbers. Who can yell the loudest. Who knows the right people. Resources can get pulled from a successful game, only to be handed to a studio that is less viable. The bigger the bureaucracy, the more likely this is to happen.

Richard Garriot described this very phenomenon, in reference to Origin getting canned. Indeed, EA's CEO recently admitted that it was an "Oops" to close Origin.

Mythic cares about UO. And EA understands that UO is profitable. Otherwise they would have closed it years ago.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, it is kinda sad... Basically you WANT to give them money, but you CAN'T... anyway - thanx for the advice - I was going to call them - but EA secton in my country. I did so - there was an answering machine says something about "you can call us in workdays between 9 and 14"... for me? - it's a joke... But what to do... eh.
did you try getting past the automated voice by saying the word "billing" ? has been posted here that this method sometimes gets you a live person

keep at it, and post back here with results so that we all know how to advise the next person with this problem

L

lordex

Erm... no offence, but if the word "billing" won't help - shoud I use the "abracadabra" word as well? :D

Eventually I've tried it already - didn't help, but thanks for the tip :D

I'm affraid there's nothing to be done but to call them - but for this i have to wait until monday, eh. And if it won't help - I'll call the US EA department. And if THIS won't help - I'll go there and bun the whole EA circus... -_- :p

L

lunar82

Indeed sad. But what should all of the people who bought legally the codes to create the accounts do then ?
They won't get refunds, since obviously, the codes aren't fake, the registration site accepts them. The problem occurs when you are trying to setup subsription.

I don't know how the mechanics between resellers and EA works, but if EA isn't acting to even their mails/informations, I don't really see any point in creating the Stygian Abyss, unless they want to reopen account creation after the release.
But then again, if they do, who can confirm and take responsibility, that they will accept the pre-abyss codes, like ML, or SE ? Noone.

EA should be taken to court imho, for such a behaviour, since they didn't give any information about the fact you can't register new account, after you bought the codes. And a least here (in Poland), such a thing is a law violation and is a subject to take the issue to the court.

@Hannes Erich
Do you think that a mail or a few to Mythic could help a bit on the issue ? Cause if so, I could write one, since EA support is like "Oh hey! We are the tech support guys, we know better, cause we can paste the FAQs that didn't help you!". Because if it would, I'd mail them myself, and asked as much friends as possible to do so.

All in all, I started my mmorpg experience with UO, and I kinda feel sentimental for it ;)

Or... Maybe there is any way (even by the phone) to setup the account ?
One thing I was wondering is trying to create the account with a game time card. Any idea if that could work ? Or is it just plain server-side script that kinda says "gtfo, we won't create an account for ya, kkthxbai" ?

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ahhh sorry, missed the part about you not being in US :( this is the part of the Knowledge Base regarding gamecodes, and I'm guessing you used the number indicated for international? if this is not the number you used, maybe you should try it, since it clearly states that these numbers operate seven days a week

linky to KB answer page
http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cf...F90ZXh0PXBob25lIG51bWJlcg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

If you wish to make your purchase over the phone, please contact us at 1-866-543-5435 and press option 1. If you are calling internationally, please call 1-650-628-4306.
Hours of operation are 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. PST, seven days a week.

and if someone could teach me how to rename the links like I used to be able to do, I would very much appreciate it :)

L

lordex

Yeah, but i DID the purchase already via reseller - are you telling me that i need to pay for it AGAIN just to get the account in a proper way? Don't think you are...

P.S. What do You mean - rename links?

T

Teeshy

and if someone could teach me how to rename the links like I used to be able to do, I would very much appreciate it :)
When you go to post, up the top of the text box, there should be a little picture that kinda looks like the earth, with a bit of chain underneath? Click that one =)

or type (URL="http:www.address.com")description of link here(/URL) (just switch round brackets ")" for square ones "]" =))

M

Mark Knotts

It is pretty pathetic what a new person has to go through just to maybe get online. Any other game and it's a breeze. Who wants to turn revenue away that badly? Throw in the fact that they might not know of stratics then it's even worse for them. We all know EA Support (which is funny even saying that) will just send you their favorite copy & paste and do whatever they can to not deal with you. No one wants to call to sign up for an online game. UO always seems to have the worst way of getting things done.

I remember Cal saying he was working on getting these issues fixed a good while ago. Where's the progress?

4-28-2008 http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=515662#post515662
I’ve been tracking a lot of the account issues. If you are not getting the response you need, please drop Jeremy an Email with “UO:Registration Issue” as the subject heading. Registration and gamecode issues are high on our priority list right now.

We’ve been investigating a lot of the account and billing infrastructure since October 2007. I apologize that this is becoming such a nuisance. I have forwarded your problem to a couple of folks who should be getting back to you promptly

L

lordex

Ok. Here's some new information about what i've experienced...

I've made a call for the EA support service... When I finally get to talk with the guy - it took 30 MINUTES (!!!) and in the end he told me to (that's a good one) go to the www.ultima-registration.com and create an account !!! I did not know if i should laugh or cry...

Ya know... basically the piracy thing is something bad, but guess it's really better to play on free runuo shards - you don't have to pay, and you DON'T HAVE to BEG them to give you an account AFTER YOU MADE PAYMENT! It's just pathetic...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I strongly suspect SA isn't going to go over very well =(
Cant make an account, can't buy gametime, they won't commit to even selling SA other than as a code and downloadable, and we are all aware of how well those sites are working.

Keeping the ole fingers crossed, but i'm skeptical they are gonna put in the time and effort to straighten anything to do with us out.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And now is the problem - when i try to register the game in my UO in my account - i can't pass through the Credit Card information page. I fill every necessary fields, i choose proper Billing options - and when I hit OK - nothing happens. I mean - it's just like I'd press the "Refresh page button" (fields: Payment type, CC number and expiration date gets blank) - no errors or something - just nothing happens.

kay, one last suggestion then I'll give up, too..... at this part, have you clicked on "create an account" or "edit account"? cause if I'm reading this correctly, you have already created an account name for the account pages, and really just need to log in using the name/pass you created and upgrade your account using the "edit account" button

altho if this is correct, what should be happening is that you should be getting a message saying log-in is incorrect or something

L

lordex

Well - I have an account in EA system. just needed to subscribe a new account in UO. I tried to log into the game - got the message that my account's been suspended and i need to renew the account....

So, you can give up. I do so...

M

Marcus Blackwell

Well - I have an account in EA system. just needed to subscribe a new account in UO. I tried to log into the game - got the message that my account's been suspended and i need to renew the account....

So, you can give up. I do so...

So your opening a new account not upgrading the trial account you opened?
Hope you dont give up but wouldnt blame you Im starting to think EA dosent want new players for UO. Seems this problem has been around for awhile now and they would have it fixed by now. One last question when you created this new account was it through the ea site or the uo site not sure if that would make a difference or not though..

L

lordex

Eh... in order to create an UO account, you need to create an EA account. So i did - I created an EA account. When i did so - there's an option to create an UO account / register my UO copy. There was the problem - when i tried to create an UO account - i typed Mondain's Legacy Account Creation Code - there was no errors with it. The error occures when I give the information about my credit card - i mean.. there's no actual error - just when i fill every fields necessary about my CC (name, last name, CC number ect.) and hit OK - nothing happens! No error or success information - just as I would've refresh this page (F5 bbutton) - every fields are still filled except those "secure" ones - CC number and CC expiration date.

Now you get it? :)

M

Marcus Blackwell

Yep..had that happen along time ago and it wasnt a problem on my end was on there end. Also sounds like something that happened when AoS launched expect it was with upgrading an account.. Im having a simliar problem when it comes to uogamecodes site never can get past the screen that wants to verify you have an active account to buy the codes it like refreshs back to that page asking for the same info.. to me both of these are a serious problem that needs fixing now..

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember Cal saying he was working on getting these issues fixed <snip>
A few weeks ago, I sent Mythic a copy of my correspondence with EA Support. So Mythic is aware of these problems.

Regardless, I suggest that some of us send complaints to EA Support addresses/phone numbers. Post any evasive replies here, so that we can compare notes. If you know anyone in the gaming press, ask them if they think there's a story. The gaming press has helped many times in the past to pressure publishers into resolving outstanding issues with customers.

UO has a certain legendary status in the industry. Like I said before, I think we should keep pushing for purchasing issues to be resolved. EA is a big company, and as with other big companies, sometimes it can take a while to make your voice heard.

Ultima Online is not the first game to go the digital publishing route. Sony and CCP and many others have done it with tremendous success. UO is profitable. EA knows this. But the first step toward selling a game digitally is to, you know, SELL THE GAME ON THE FREAKING INTERNET. :)

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
retaliation? Don't you think that's starting to go a little overboard on the paranoia?

M

Marcus Blackwell

Hmm.. I got to thinking and I may be wrong but I believe in order to buy a new account code on UOgamecodes you have to have already have an account thats 30days or so I wonder if your a new player and get your hands on the account code through another legit site if once you get to the billing info it wont accept that code for a new account cause your email dosent match an existing older UO account. Ive heard from a few the only way some new players are able to get ML is by resubing there trail accounts and then buying the upgrade codes and upgrading the trail account.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eh... in order to create an UO account, you need to create an EA account. So i did - I created an EA account. When i did so - there's an option to create an UO account / register my UO copy. There was the problem - when i tried to create an UO account - i typed Mondain's Legacy Account Creation Code - there was no errors with it. The error occures when I give the information about my credit card - i mean.. there's no actual error - just when i fill every fields necessary about my CC (name, last name, CC number ect.) and hit OK - nothing happens! No error or success information - just as I would've refresh this page (F5 bbutton) - every fields are still filled except those "secure" ones - CC number and CC expiration date.

Now you get it? :)
Sometimes I think the billing server, or whatever you want to call it, is offline at odd times. Perhaps wait until it is mid-morning Monday in the eastern part of the U.S. before you try again, after clearing your cache, etc.?

Also, I found a Q&A in the Knowledgebase that might be of some help: http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8669. Perhaps try the link for the "Ultima Online Account Management page" that is mentioned at the end of the Q&A and see if it gets you into your UO account any differently and with the ability to update information.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Marcus Blackwell, a New Account Code is a New Account Code. It may depend on the reseller, but a New Account Code from a reputable third-party (such as Markeedragon.com) should work. I bought my account code from Markeedragon (the agent who contacted me said they received quite a bit of business from confused buyers who were unable to actually purchase the game through an official EA channel). However, when I first entered my billing address on UO's registration site, I made a slight error. Upon correcting it, everything went smoothly. So you have to really be careful about entering your billing stuff.

The Markeedragon agent also said that Upgrade Codes suffered from a different set of problems, and actually suggested buying those from UOGamecodes.com instead of from resellers for the time being.

To sum it up: Buy New Account Codes from Markeedragon.com (or another reputable third-party). Buy upgrade codes from UOGamecodes.com.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The billing page issues the OP reported are not just for those wanting to use game codes - I am currently unable to reactivate my account for the same reason :(