• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

.NET Framework error ... unable to locate version of run time

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am trying to install Pinco's UI on a second computer. Windows XP 32bit.

I installed .NET Framework 2.0
I installed DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime Web Installer

I downloaded Pinco's UI, unzipped and copied all files to my game directory F:\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced

When I launch the Patcher.exe, I receive a pop-up error:
UI Patcher.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error
Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application.

What am I missing?

Is there another version of Direct X, .NET Framework that I need to install?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Run windows update and check if there is some patch missing for the framework...

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran windows update and found 11 updates for .NET Framework 4. I let them download and install, but I still got the same message.

I did some more research and followed this article on Microsoft Support webpage for:
This step-by-step article describes how to troubleshoot issues that you may experience when you install the .NET Framework 2.0.
Here is the link.

Following the instructions in the article, I unregistered and registered Windows installer.

Then I tried the step to use the Repair command on the Windows Installer cache file. I could not find the .Net Framework 2.0; I only saw Framework 4, client profile and extended.

So I re-installed Framework 2 from this Microsoft download link.
I received an error and the download page said any previous versions of Framework 2 must be removed from Add/Remove programs before installing this final release version.

I removed Framework 2 from Add/Remove programs. (apparently it was downloaded. wonder why I couldn't find it listed earlier.) I installed Framework 2 from my previous download.

I tried to launch the UI Patcher.exe and received a pop-up that said UI Patcher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I did another windows update and found an update for Framework 2.

Update completed and computer restarted. Still getting the error stating UI Patcher has encountered a problem.

I'm sure I did more steps than necessary to try to get this to work, but I wanted to be sure I had the right stuff installed.

Any additional ideas to help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran windows update and found 11 updates for .NET Framework 4. I let them download and install, but I still got the same message.

I did some more research and followed this article on Microsoft Support webpage for:
This step-by-step article describes how to troubleshoot issues that you may experience when you install the .NET Framework 2.0.
Here is the link.

Following the instructions in the article, I unregistered and registered Windows installer.

Then I tried the step to use the Repair command on the Windows Installer cache file. I could not find the .Net Framework 2.0; I only saw Framework 4, client profile and extended.

So I re-installed Framework 2 from this Microsoft download link.
I received an error and the download page said any previous versions of Framework 2 must be removed from Add/Remove programs before installing this final release version.

I removed Framework 2 from Add/Remove programs. (apparently it was downloaded. wonder why I couldn't find it listed earlier.) I installed Framework 2 from my previous download.

I tried to launch the UI Patcher.exe and received a pop-up that said UI Patcher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I did another windows update and found an update for Framework 2.

Update completed and computer restarted. Still getting the error stating UI Patcher has encountered a problem.

I'm sure I did more steps than necessary to try to get this to work, but I wanted to be sure I had the right stuff installed.

Any additional ideas to help is greatly appreciated.

The faq helps to get rid of the basics:
- correct patcher path
- admin rights
- full control of the folder
- updated codec pack
- updated framework

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, for some reason the patcher started working tonight. It triggered my firewall and I granted it access.

It started and said the patcher was outdated and started to download an updated patcher. Then I got a Wrong Path! pop-up error message (appears to be generated by the UI Patcher) that said: The UI Patcher and all its files must go in the following directory: F:\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced

I verified all files/folders were copied directly into the game folder.
I did not copy the zipped folder.
I did not create any sub-folders.
I just did a copy/paste directly to the game folder.

EDIT: Okay, figured it out. User error. LOL.
Apparently I have a folder Electronic Arts that contains a folder for Ultima Online Enchanced and another Electronic Arts folder with yet another Ultima Online Enchanced.

A folder within a folder... I had to go deeper.

Last edited: