• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

need some tech help please

I

IdoBods

have got an email bug ( i guess thats what u call it) that is sending out random emails with links to sites to everyone on my contact list.
thought i found it with the new windows essential security (or something like that).
avast, and avg have failed to find it.
after clearing it with the windows security ... i got a message from someone that htey are still getting the emails that i never sent...
anyone help please?
what other options i have to find and rid of this virus?
hope this makes sense ....
thanks for your time and help

U

UOKaiser

have got an email bug ( i guess thats what u call it) that is sending out random emails with links to sites to everyone on my contact list.
thought i found it with the new windows essential security (or something like that).
avast, and avg have failed to find it.
after clearing it with the windows security ... i got a message from someone that htey are still getting the emails that i never sent...
anyone help please?
what other options i have to find and rid of this virus?
hope this makes sense ....
thanks for your time and help
Using outlook? Do another check http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ then change your password on email account. See if that stops it.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Definitely sounds like a virus.

Try the trend micro online scanner mentioned by Kaiser. It's one of the best.

Another good one is http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner.

Avast and AVG are well...to put it nicely, I won't recommend my friends or family to use them.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's also possible that you are no longer infected. It's easy to fake the sender on an email. Somebody in your list could have been infected from you, and it just picked your address as the one to say the new ones are from, despite it being from the 2nd person.

Download MBAM, update it, then do a full scan with it. It's more reliable than the online scanners in my experience. You can uninstall it after, it doesn't hook into a bunch of things to make itself a pain to remove.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First place I would look is start/administrative/services - It could be using windows smtp server, just look at something that doesn't belong.

You might want to make sure in internet options you are not using a proxy server.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with advice like "look at something that doesn't belong" is that to the untrained eye, very little of it logically belongs.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Idobods,

1. Disconnect your computer from the network, and reboot it.
  2. Log in, but do not open any programs
  3. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and choose Task Manager.
  4. Click on Processes tab
  5. Write down everything in the list
  6. Next, reconnect your computer to the network
  7. Reboot the computer and repeat steps 2 - 5
Post the 2 lists of processes for us here, labeled "network disconnected" and "network connected"

We can go deeper into it after that.

-Skylark

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An MBAM scan would be more useful than us ignoring c:\Windows\virus\svchost.exe because of its filename, but I don't think he's paying much attention to this thread any more.

I

IdoBods

sorry guys, i was unable to get back here to respond due to RL stuff. it seems i finally got the it fixed. so far no one on my email list has received any of those emails for 2 days now. if i have any further problems i will do the suggestion of copy and pasting to you as someone posted above.
thanks for all your help and suggestions!