• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need some PvM advice

Moonglum

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Trying to decide between these 3 temps to do some PvM:

Tamer/Disco
Tamer/Prov
Tamer/Mage

How are they comparable farming wise? This will be on Siege btw so its doubtful I'll be running around in a top of the line suit, so looking for the best bang for my buck with just raw stats and whatever junk stat items I can find. Thanks.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well you could combine all 3 together, but it'll be harder to keep your stuff on Siege so skill items would be more of a problem to boost skills up. I try to not rely much on items even on production though, so you should be able to combine some of those skills into a Siege tamer.

Pet wise for example, you could use 2 kitsune and a mount with your bard tamer, and free up some points from taming and lore for use in barding skills. It's when you are aiming for max skills in barding and taming simultaneously that you'll run into problems. I rarely if ever used a greater dragon with my bard tamer, because they're slow and dumb and left her on foot ;) That's a pain if you fail a provoke and want to back away quick to invis and break target. In your case it's also a problem if someone attacks you and you're slower.

So to build your template, I'd suggest you start by deciding which is the highest skill requiring pet you absolutely need to control, then find whatever 99% control requires in skill points. That'll be your base. You could easily run that template with GM vet because you are also able to support your pet by provoking spawn round it and discording the tougher critters.
From there, my bard's magery was around 85 or so, whatever it takes to reliably cast invis. My bard carries a spellbook with +15 magery so she can grab that if she needs to rez or gate etc etc more reliably.

After that, the remainder is available for real skill in barding. I'd for 120 in music then whatever you can fit for the others. Perhaps a +5 boost option if you wanted 120 in either skill for hunts. Any remaining skill points can go into extra pet control or vet skill.

Alternatively you can easily fit magery and disco or provoke together, I just prefer to have my targeted disco with provo to work the spawn because then I can actually hunt and kill spawn alongside pets or totally without them.

Wenchy

Moonglum

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks Wenchkin. I'll let all that soak in.

Also curious...Are there any Tamer Temps that are able to solo Champ spawns?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Wenchkin. I'll let all that soak in.

Also curious...Are there any Tamer Temps that are able to solo Champ spawns?
Standard Tamer/Mage can do it reliably well, though it depends on the spawn. Barracoon, you'll need vet since both he & the summoned ratmen will be whacking your pet (harm spam the summoned rats.)

Rikktor is doable with a Greater, but still tough - you'll need lots of mana/mana regen to keep healing it. Semidar, Neira, and Mephitis will WRECK a pet - Semidar just hits hard, Neira is essentially a weaker Dark Father (the spawn will do more damage than she does. If you can dual client or have a friend on a Sampire, she's a breeze), and Mephitis will pull you in, kill you, then kill the pet. Oaks, you should be ok if you can lure Silvani off, although he's "Rikktor" - you can't get too close, or his Holy Light will hit you, causing him to retarget.