• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

need help on pvp template....

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only thing i know how to play pvp wise is a pure mage. or old school tank mage (mace mage) Whats a good idea for a pure mage template and are they good anymore? Ive eaten all the 120s possible so any template idea is welcome. If you post a template for me please post the stats used also.

Im on a start of this tho for what i want to play
120 magery
120 meditate
120 eval
120 resist

Beyond that im clueless. Should i branch into spell weave or some other skill like that?
What help does scribe/wrestle/poison do for a pure mage template these days?

all suggestions and help are greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Memnoch

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing wrong with Inscribe.. If you want to keep it simple

Just wearing 15 SDI on your equiptment, and you'll be fine.. Stats are something Ive never been good with if your talking str/dex/int

120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Resis
120 Wres (Use spell books and PBD something along lines of inquis/orny or something)
100 Scribe
20 of anything you want if your elf go focus, if your human, it doesnt matter..

S

Slick Rick 2

you need to be at the bank at late nights for such info!

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Offensive
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Resist
100 Anatomy (120 Eval + 100 Anat = 120 Defense. Wresling specials are pretty much useless now.)
100 Inscribe
40 Chiv ( Remove Curse for fighting against necros)

Stats
Str 100
Dex 30
Int 125

Defensive
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Resist
100 Anatomy
120 Parry

Stats

Str 90 combine with Str potions
Dex 45 combine with dex pots
Int 120

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
memnoch yours is the original one i had in mind.

Kage alrich was telling me about the anatomy thing but i wasnt following what he was saying. Now i understand it. Is anatomy dex based?

I want to be offensive template im used to mini spells and casting fast. The DCI that is for help against dexxers correct? (sorry for the noob question) as most know i primarily play a crafter so not up on all them fancy bonuses just yet.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anatomy is not effected bye dex.

DCI is for dexers and is what I would run unless you plan on wearing 60+ DCI on the scribe mage.

I would run parry due to how many dexers are on siege. Most of what you will fight will be Dismount archers, Stealth Bushido/ninjas, Bushido dexer, Moving shot archers...

S

Slick Rick 2

anatomy is not dexed based parrying is.
dci only matters to melee

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on the defensive mage template with anat and parry i noticed you had anat at 100 since i have 720 skill points available would it be worthwhile to go ahead and take anat up to 120? or should i stash the last 20 points in tracking?

actually isnt tracking based on other persons hide skill now?

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would not help you in defense at all.

If you was elf then you could do something witht he extra 20 skill points but if you are human than even if u training something up to 20 it is the same as not trainig it up.

Because being human you have 20 of everything from jack of all trades it just does not show up

I would run the defense template as human. While being human you can use very nice spells from spell weaving like gift of renewal & Attunment.

Gift of renewal will heal you for around 9-12 damage for several seconds while in a fight

Attunemnt will absorbe around 60 points of physical damage possibly more with a circle but I don't remember right off.

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i greatly appreciate the help im going to try out the parry anat template for a while and see how i do with it.

when you speak of spellweaving are you talking putting the last 20 in it or using it as a whole skill?

F

Førsaken

If you're Human, don't need to worry about putting 20 points into anything really...

I run both Scribe Mage / Parry Mage, and honestly, Parry seems to be the ideal template if you want to live longer and be that "offensive" Mage.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i greatly appreciate the help im going to try out the parry anat template for a while and see how i do with it.

when you speak of spellweaving are you talking putting the last 20 in it or using it as a whole skill?
As a human you have a base of 20 in every skill.

The spells I listed from spell weaving you can cast at 0 but with the 20 from jack of all trades you will cast them 100% with no fail.

other things you can do is tracking even though you have no skill points invested into tracking you have a base of it just does not show up.

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ahh okay thank you very much all of you for your help. as soon as i get anat and parry up you can be sure to see me on the battle field! instead of just hiding in my house or at the bank lol

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool. Well if you have anymore questions now or at a later date feel free to ask.

I would much rather explain to somone how to do something rather then them just cry hack etc.

O

Ole Cheapy

As a human you have a base of 20 in every skill.

The spells I listed from spell weaving you can cast at 0 but with the 20 from jack of all trades you will cast them 100% with no fail.

other things you can do is tracking even though you have no skill points invested into tracking you have a base of it just does not show up.
Actually if you're gonna be human and as you already stated that you've eaten all the 120's, it really doesn't make any sense not to take anatomy to 120. As kage stated it will not help you defensively as you can't go higher than 120 defense, but if you were to use a scnp mage wep -0 magery wep, the extra anatomy may give you a slight bonus in damage output from the weapon. A lil bit of something is a whole lot better than a lot of nothing.

But if you're gonna be elf spellweaving/focus is as good as any skill to use your remaining 20 points.

But personally I think Kage's template is a lil outdated. If I were a mage I would go...

120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Wrestling
120 Parry

This way you still get 120 defensive skill and why the hell not, I mean after all it only cost you 20 skill points that was only pissing in the wind anyhow (if you're human), and on top of that you have the choice to disarm that rare person wielding a wep with 50 HLD and 15 HCI! And yes such weps do exist. :)

Of course this is only for a defensive mage.

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks. im gunna finish scibe wrestle anat and parry and kind of try my hand on all of them and see what i like best. right now the DCI increase is looking good. but ill try both out thank you.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry you think my template is outdated... but ask any good mage on this server they will tell you wrestling is worthless and has been ever since the changes to how the specials work...

Ya you could disarm his weapon/book/shield but you would have to cancel out a spell in order to do so... and if you play a mage you find that it's much more useful to have a spell up.

Back in the day you could toggle specials from wrestling while casting etc, sadly you can no longer do that...

100 anat any day compared to 120 wrestle

Gives you the ability to put 40 points into Chiv, Focus for mana regen etc.

O

Ole Cheapy

100 anat any day compared to 120 wrestle

Gives you the ability to put 40 points into Chiv, Focus for mana regen etc.

I understand that as an offensive mage why you would use anatomy, cuz like you said gives you the option to use 40 points in chiv (that is if your blue of course, cuz 40 chiv wont remove curse for bad people), but from a defensive stand point you only have 20 points to spare cuz you will take 120 parry, and if you're human the points are only pissed in the wind anyway.

So from a defensive stand point as a human mage, there really is no advantage or logical reason why 100 anatomy would be better than 120 wrestling unless as I stated above, you're using a mage weapon. But since you're a great mage and i couldn't beat a mongbat using a mage, I'll assume you're correct.

Besides, I think making 120 eval + 100 anatomy = 120 defense is a sin before the UO Gods! Just more bs and perks they give mages.

Speedy Orkit

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's a better solution:
120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 parry
100 med
100 anat
40 chiv

The difference in 120 med and 100 med is almost nothing, test it out if you do not believe me.

O

Ole Cheapy

120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 parry
100 med
100 anat
40 chiv

The difference in 120 med and 100 med is almost nothing, test it out if you do not believe me.
Hmmm... that's actually kinda interesting, but you guys are assuming the player wants to be blue. Well i guess for a KOC member what else is there? [cheapshot] :)

Speedy Orkit

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can easily run chiv on a red char....if you're glorious lord I think you can kill about 30 before you're in negative karma

Memnoch

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uhm Cheapshot your "Turtle Mage" template is a bit outdated as wrestling specails are useless for a mage..

A -0 mageskill weapon is useless as well in current day especially to the OP who has gold and can afford much better.. There is no -0 wep that is 1 handed therefore eliminating pots, or well, the ease of pots.

You can use chivalry on a red, I may be terribly mistaken but I used to remove curse on a red, all you have to do is farm Evil Mages for 10 minutes..

You will have to kill Evil Mages more often then a blue, but you can do it..

O

Ole Cheapy

Uhm Cheapshot your "Turtle Mage" template is a bit outdated as wrestling specails are useless for a mage..

A -0 mageskill weapon is useless as well in current day especially to the OP who has gold and can afford much better.. There is no -0 wep that is 1 handed therefore eliminating pots, or well, the ease of pots.

You can use chivalry on a red, I may be terribly mistaken but I used to remove curse on a red, all you have to do is farm Evil Mages for 10 minutes..

You will have to kill Evil Mages more often then a blue, but you can do it..
What I was contesting was this.....

Defensive
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Resist
100 Anatomy
120 Parry
As a human mage.

With this template there is no logical reason why 100 anatomy is better than 120 wrestling, now if you can show me how it is better with the above template *ONLY*, I'll shut my face on the subject of templates FOREVER, otherwise..please cheerlead somewhere else. Saying wrestling specials are useless is a matter of opinion, but the fact remains with wrestling you have a **option** to use the specials, but with anatomy and 20 extra points as a human, you have no choice and 20 points pissed in the wind. NO?

Please DO NOT show scenarios using 40 points in any skill, cuz as I mentioned above, I'm only contesting the above template, which DOES NOT have 40 points to spare.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The logical reason is the ability to use soul stones allowing you to swap out skills from parry to inscribe...

With the gm Anat you can run the 40 chiv, 40 focus for mana etc.

With wrestling if you throw scribe on instead of parry you can not take advantage of the 40 extra skill points...

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And also considering I don't believe he has wrestling or anat currently trained up ... You can start pving a lot faster if you are only training up to gm anat instead of all the way to 120 wrestle...

So let's see now you save time in ROT which is a major deal... depending on template you get an extra 40 points to throw into whatever...

I see quite a good bit of logic there Sir cheapy....

O

Ole Cheapy

The logical reason is the ability to use soul stones allowing you to swap out skills from parry to inscribe...

With the gm Anat you can run the 40 chiv, 40 focus for mana etc.

With wrestling if you throw scribe on instead of parry you can not take advantage of the 40 extra skill points...
Defensive
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Resist
100 Anatomy
120 Parry

As I ALREADY mentioned, with the template I'm contesting (see above), there is no 40 points lol. But I'll let you shine if it makes you feel better. :)

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are like a brick wall sir. I guess you think no one runs soul stones and cares to train up more than one useful skill.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Defensive
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Resist
100 Anatomy
120 Parry

As I ALREADY mentioned, with the template I'm contesting (see above), there is no 40 points lol. But I'll let you shine if it makes you feel better. :)
And even if you are contesting the template above... he is training up the skill and every Mage has told you wrestling specials are useless...

ROT system to 100 anat is a lot faster then going to your 120 wrestle...

Again let me say it for you one more time WRESTLING SPECIALS ARE USELESS.

Memnoch

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would explain why everytime you run into me on the field, you are stopped in your tracks.
I swear, your retorts are written down, all 3 of them.. And cycled on these here boards for our grand entertainment.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only time I have ever ran into you in game all I got was a message saying you shove something invisible out of the way...

I guess when defeated you can try to make it sound like I run from you lol.

If you wanna fight me just name a location and I will be more than willing to come slap you around a little and give you some free lessons in pvp.

O

Ole Cheapy

There is only 2 possible scenarios that could happen if we fight, Kage.....

1. I get a lucky first swing hit that lowers your DCI and my 100% fireball goes off every swing (focus attack) to disrupt your casting and when you see yourself low on health and try to run, I time my death Strike out perfectly and you **DIE**. (it worked against Puffy)

2. I fail to hit you and you call all your homeboys and you guys form a search party to try and find me, failing miserably as you have in the past (remember the time when there were like 6 of you casting Earth Quake like a bunch of noobie freaks looking for me, when the whole time I was standing on the bridge over your heads laughing irl after a successful shadow jump). But you and I both know damn well there is no way in hell you alone can find me, let alone bring me out of hiding! So spare me. And no my char with the template I'm currently running cannot go head up with a super mage. Killing me is just simply not an option.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Killing you is really easy... Getting you away from your house is the hard part... I suppose I could always bait you with my crafter... :)

I think everyone is this thread has seen you fail enough so I am done with this one...

F

Førsaken

1. I get a lucky first swing hit that lowers your DCI and my 100% fireball goes off every swing (focus attack) to disrupt your casting and when you see yourself low on health and try to run, I time my death Strike out perfectly and you **DIE**. (it worked against Puffy)
Hmm, I haven't seen a dexer yet, disrupt Protection. Which most definitely should be thrown on those pesky, fast-swinging dexers, thinking they're hot stuff. *cough*

O

Ole Cheapy

Hmm, I haven't seen a dexer yet, disrupt Protection. Which most definitely should be thrown on those pesky, fast-swinging dexers, thinking they're hot stuff. *cough*
What ya think I'm gonna tap Kage on the shoulder and say...hey kage, get ready cause I'm bout to wack you? It will be more like Kage shopping at some "safe mall" with his eyes full of eye candy, and out from nowhere when his mind is on the love ones he's shopping for, comes the bad bad evil man. Casting protection will be the last thing he's worried about. :)

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya and I know what to do against you or any other stealther... Protection is a first level spell you will not interrupt it sorry to dissapoint you...

I will just stand there cast protection watch you blow your mana on poison and death strike caster greater heal chug a cure in the middle then heal to full life...

After all that you will just smoke bomb and stealth away to never be seen again.

I am not a crafter man...

O

Ole Cheapy

Oh yeah, Sakey, when I saw 2 Forsakens running around yesterday, first I thought to myself...aww cool they have 2 Forsakens in their guild, but once I seen both Forsakens running around **at the same time** and ***playing at the same time*** in that Luna house, I thought awww how cute, they all must be really close to name their chars after one another and run around together. :)

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 parry
100 med
100 anat
40 chiv

The difference in 120 med and 100 med is almost nothing, test it out if you do not believe me.[/QUOTEI

I tested this out a while back and you are correct there isnt much difference. But i got to asking around and most the people i asked all run 120 med cause they said the little bit of difference there is makes a difference in pvp. I may just set a stone for 120 and another for 100 to try it out tho. Im such a addict i got plenty of stones to mess around with :D

Speedy Orkit

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will help in duels, and sometimes 1v1, but being able to remove curse from pesky necros is much better IMO

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just thought of another question. Pros and Cons of a nox mage?

Memnoch

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pros: You can poison
Cons: Everyone and their mother can spam cure pots..

Pros: Your fields can be stronger in raids as they are of a higher poison level
Cons: Everyone and their mother can spam cure pots..

Just my opinion though.