• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need Advice on an Antivirus

V

Vareck

Hey,

I keep on reading poor review about Anti-Virus software such as Norton and McAffee. When I read the reviews a lot of them say both programs slow your system down "to a crawl." Well, I'm thinking that I should install one within the next day or so and I wanted to get some advice on which on to install...

Thanks in advance.

C

Connor_Graham

I use Trend Micro Anti-Virus. I've tried both Norton and McAffee, and found Trend Micro to be better than either of them.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use AVG's free version and have done for many years now. The latest update also includes a spyware scanner.

It only slows me down when I run the full system scan, which is on a schedule.

http://free.grisoft.com/

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new home version Norton 360 is a lot better at backing off of system resources when you are doing other things, and much less intrusive. Version 2 which was released recently added some nice new features including full support for Mozilla Firefox. I also like that a single license can be used for up to 3 networked computers, which makes it attractive cost wise for multi computer households. However, I have noticed that since I updated to version 2, I have more Norton feature-related process failures, which require a reboot to correct. It is annoying...hope they fix that in a service release soon.

Basically all of the major brands are good at what they do: Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Trendmicro, & Kaspersky...you are unlikely to go "wrong" in terms of protection for your system with any of them.

Some of the brands with much lesser market share such as AVG, BitDefender, Sophos, Computer Associates, ZoneAlarm, etc. are solid performers, too. Note: AVG (produced by Grisoft) has a pretty good following for the free version but AVG also offers a fully supported for-purchase subscription version that is just like any other major commercial software package. Avast is free and has very good performance for virus & spyware detection but it has no automated scan abilities and for removal of the nasties once you have been told they exist, you are pretty much on your own.

ALL security suites make some constant demand on system resources, and the more things they are doing/checking the more resources they use typically. Some brands and even versions among brands are better than others but none are really lightweights in that area to my knowledge. For most newer computers, the reality is that the background service load isn't that detrimental to performance for most non-intensive tasks. Where you might see problems is when scans start while heavy processing demand programs such as games are also running, but you can minimize that by tweaking the configurations in most to tell them to back off when you are running resource intensive apps so there isn't competition. You just need to make sure your computer has some "quiet time" eventually to do those tasks that you told it to hold off on. For older systems, the latest full security suites can render them almost non-functional due to the resource requirements, also Vista users will note that the OS is hogging more background resources in itself than previous Windows versions, so using a full security suite on top of Vista without a good amount of RAM (at least 2 GB) and a fast processor might cause frustration.

-Skylark

L

Loqucious

I've tried a few and I really like Avast anit virus. It automatically updates just about every day which I think means that the people running the program are constantly looking for new viruses and attacking them. Course I'm a novice so maybe I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Plus Avast is easy to use and doesn't interrupt UO when I'm playing.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Hey,

I keep on reading poor review about Anti-Virus software such as Norton and McAffee. When I read the reviews a lot of them say both programs slow your system down "to a crawl." Well, I'm thinking that I should install one within the next day or so and I wanted to get some advice on which on to install...

Thanks in advance.
I just upgraded this product to rev 8.0 last night. You want the free edition on the left. Once loaded, open the configuration panel and deselect the (automatically) scheduled scan ... or change it to your liking. When that kicks off, you will experience slowdowns, as it will take as much CPU and RAM it can get.

I have Roadrunner (TimeWarner). If you do, look in their self-service pages for the downloads section and see if they are offering CA ezArmor AV/spyware product. It's not bad, will work well with AVG (above) but does need to be uninstalled for any ZoneAlarm updates. <shrug> The license key you get is for 1-year but renewable for free (as T/W Roadrunner customer) by uninstall and re-install of the product with the same key.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We've used Steganos/Kapersky suites for the past few years and they've been superb :) Very fast at updating and heuristic as well, I haven't had any nasties get past it, nor has my partner with his. Kapersky seems to get good reviews (from those I've seen) and usually I'm only £20 or so to upgrade the version and get a year's updates.

On the free side of things AVG is good... I had that and Zonealarm firewall for a few years, with adaware following behind picking up any malware leftovers :p

Wenchy

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Avira AntiVir is one of the best antivirus programs out there. Even their Free version is highly recommendable.

You can download the free version here: http://www.free-av.com/en/index.html.

If you don't have it already, you should also install an anti spyware program.
Ad-Aware is an excellent scanner for Trojans, Malware, Keyloggers etc.

A free version of Ad-Aware can be downloaded here: http://lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php.

L

Limlight

Trend Micro with Spysweeper installed from day 1 are awesome. It blocks everything and does nothing for my comps speed.

J

jelinidas

I use Trend Micro Anti-Virus. I've tried both Norton and McAffee, and found Trend Micro to be better than either of them.
/signed

I think BestBuys installed it on my other laptop a couple of years ago and I have since installed it on all computers. When it scans(updates), it bogs down though. Thats why I update in the middle of the night! No problems at all.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also use Avira's AntiVir. For an unbiased rating of anti virus scanners, check out AV-Comparatives.

Almost every product mentioned in this topic, and many more not mentioned... are all in the UO Toolbar's Safety menu.

B

Blade_Thugluv

Nortons and McAffee are horrible programs. Not to mention you have to use either Nortons removal tool or McAffee's removal tool to get rid of them or you will have issues if you try to just uninstall them like a normal program.

I build Custom PC's for people and always put Avira's AntiVir On them unless the person asks for something else.

Avira's AntiVir
AVG
Avast
Trend-micro

are all good programs. Avira's AntiVir is my favorite out of all those by far.

I have never had a issue with Avira's AntiVir and it seems to catch everything.

I also use Trend-mircos House call (Online scan) about once a month to make sure.

For all of you who have Nortons or McAffee if you use the removal tools and get rid of nortons or McAffee your pc will run faster and boot faster.

~Blade

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who is your ISP? Most of the major ones offer a free AV client with your subscription. My ISP is AT&T and they allow me to install Norton AV on each of my systems.

Does it slow your system down? Sure. Anything that is running and using memory will slow your system down. Do I notice it? Only when I'm copying large files.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I could afford to renew my Symantec subscription, I'd be using Nortons.
Currently, the McAfee suite comes free for Comcast subscribers so that is what I am using on two machines. It is great!

The third machine is an oldie and cannot handle much, so it runs AVG and ZoneAlarm.

My recommendations in order of my most used and most trusted for hmm, 10+ years now:

1. Nortons (http://www.symantec.com/) (costs $$; has free trials, the best of the best imo)
  2. McAfee (http://www.mcafee.com/) (free to Comcast high speed internet subscribers, just log into your Comcast.net account page and look for a Security link towards the bottom right; costs $$ for others; not sure about free trials)
  3. ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com/) (has a free Firewall Version; AV & other versions cost $$; has free trials)
  4. AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/) (has a free AV version; full versions cost $$; not sure about free trials)

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well with Norton or Mcafee you MUST have the subscription, or you don't get the updated .dat files. These files tell the virus scan what to look for, so if ya don't got em your scan won't look for anything new.

AVG Free is a pretty good free virus Scan. Another very very god virus scan program I came across while working for a company that sells and installs VOIP phones for businesses is Norman. Norman is wonderful. I'll have to hunt you a link. The only drawback with Norman is it can be twitchy. On the company server poke your nose in the wrong file, Norman thinks the server is being hacked, alarms and locks down the firewalls. LMAO was the cause of some hilarous moments at work, thankfully I wasn't the one who caused them. You shouldn't Have that problem since you won't be running a server.

V

vixen4u

Hey,

Thanks in advance.

I have had nothing but problems that arise from using Nortons or McAffee they are a waste of money. I have experience with both and have found that neither gets all viruses. After using Nortons for a long time and thinking is was doing the job. A friend had me try avast and i found 6 viruses on my computer that Nortons never found when it should have.

Do yourself a favor use AVG or avast both are free.

I recommend using the following:

Free antivirus - www.avast.com
Free Firewall & Antivirus - www.comodo.com

P

Peppermace

If you choose to run free ones, it's important to use more than one to make sure all your bases are covered. Even with purchased ones you probably want something extra. AVG free version, Spybot (free), Adaware(free), Spyware Doctor free trial version are a good combo. Do full system scans once a month and you should be good. I suggest PC doctor free version because if one of them detects something that it cant remove, Spyware Doctor will give you the registry key so you can remove it manually.

X

XaeviusMenate

Comodo Firewall Pro

5 Star Protection, for Free. Includes firewall, anti-rootkit, anti-virus protection, completely stealths your pc from hackers.

I use comodo, and it's pretty darn good. Less system load, and a faster scanner than AVG. I was an avg free junkie for a while, until I found Comodo.

I'd also like to recommend using Spywareblaster

This program will block harmful sites/ips and software from installing itself on your PC. You can also lock your hosts file to protect it from being modified by browser hijackers.

Also, use the Immunize function found in Spybot- Search & Destroy. This program is also a good anti-greyware scanner, also finds dialers, rootkits, trojans, and bots. Free.

Ad-Aware 2008 Free is another good anti-malware scanner.

If in doubt, run the scanners in safe mode, since many viruses can't latch on to vital system processes if they're not running, and you'll get a better chance of success removing them in the case of a severe infection.

And for you Advanced Users (I MEAN IT! This can BREAK your PC if you don't know what you're doing!) You can use Trend Micro's Hijackthis to remove stubborn malicious greyware appearing at start-up, malicious homepage hijackers, and more. Very powerful, so treat it like a double-edged sword.

I also recommend Eusing's Free Registry Cleaner to optimize your PC's registry (important).

Additional Anti-trojan program also good to use, is A-Squared Free.

If you need a good process monitor (other than task-manager) to end stubborn virus processes, check out Sysinternal's Free process manager.

X

XaeviusMenate

I have Roadrunner (TimeWarner). If you do, look in their self-service pages for the downloads section and see if they are offering CA ezArmor AV/spyware product. It's not bad, will work well with AVG (above) but does need to be uninstalled for any ZoneAlarm updates. <shrug> The license key you get is for 1-year but renewable for free (as T/W Roadrunner customer) by uninstall and re-install of the product with the same key.
I'd use the CA suite, but it got terrible reviews in effectiveness ratings, and also causes issues on lots of systems due to there being so many products from different manufacturers crammed into one GUI. Outranked by comodo imo, and every RR customer I turned onto Comodo Pro liked it better for both its level of security and ease of use. I, too, used the CA Trust suite, but I have found through installing and using both, CA has far more issues with the user than Comodo any day of the week, plus it runs multiple programs, whereas Comodo only runs two: One for the Firewall (Firewall) and one for Anti-Virus/rootkit (Defense+).

Once you give the free Comodo Firewall Pro a try, you likely won't look back. The scans are lightning fast, as well. Just my experience doing PC repair.:thumbup1: