• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

need a creative use for a wash basin!

• Thread starter Kratos Aurion
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
K

Kratos Aurion

Hi all

I just aquired a wash basin and need some sort of creative use for it.

My intended purpose was to display it as a bathroom sink or whatever purpose I could find for it. Everything I've tried appears to look lame or dull.

Any ideas or suggestions would help lots thanks:D

C

Ceridwen

*runs to luna*... Oh, still there.
Thought you might have bought it, someone has one in their vendor in Luna, DF, and is constantly lowering the price. :D

So um decowise...
Mystery has it displayed with a folded cloth next to it.
A friend of mine has it in front of an Anch, kinda like an offering.
Others I've seen with a tap and silver coins over it (silver coins being a stream of water).

K

Kratos Aurion

*runs to luna*... Oh, still there.
Thought you might have bought it, someone has one in their vendor in Luna, DF, and is constantly lowering the price. :D

So um decowise...
Mystery has it displayed with a folded cloth next to it.
A friend of mine has it in front of an Anch, kinda like an offering.
Others I've seen with a tap and silver coins over it (silver coins being a stream of water).
Got it from Sorcon on Legends:thumbsup:

I think though that I've seen the ankh idea before. It just came back to me after reading your post. Its a possibility if I can find a place to put an ankh... grr the art of decorating (not my talent).

Anyways I was tinkering around and just left it as a sink with the barrel tap/coins like you suggested. Some things you just cant jazz up =/

F

feath

the only thing i could think of was to set it next to a formal dining table. in older times, and in higher circles, it was normal to wash your fingers/hands between settings. perhaps with a folded cloth... not sure how it'd work, and not sure how many people would understand why it was there.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might be a little small for a birdbath, but you could give it a shot. Would have to have some kind of white stand so its more of a porcelain thing and doesn't look out of place. So that would be like a music stand made from special wood and dyed white (I'd try it with a regular one first hehe).

Hrm what else. I guess you could put it on the floor next to a bed like a chamberpot, haha.

You could make a mop out of a dread horn mane or the other thing that uses that graphic and some kind of stick, I think black staff, and then put it on the floor next to the bowl and some glacial snow. So a bucket/mop kind of deal.

K

Kratos Aurion

Sarsmi.. Genius!:D

*goes off to tinker with it*

EDIT:

Since the basin sits off center, its really hard to work with on podiums/music stands etc. But What I did do, was try to create an elegant type bathroom sink using the elven podium and a barrel lid. Now, Im having a hard time finding something that can sit on the opposite side to kind of fill in the blank.

F

feath

put it in the square in front, and lift it with the deco tool until it sits in the middle ... OR... put an old pumice stone on the side to look like soap

K

Kratos Aurion

put it in the square in front, and lift it with the deco tool until it sits in the middle ... OR... put an old pumice stone on the side to look like soap
The reason why I didn't do the illusion is because it ends up raising to the same exact location it appears in in the photo. I'll see how the pumice turns out.

EDIT:

Pumice raises over the right side of the basin =/

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrm, ok something small and bottle or sponge or soap bar like that sits to the left...could try oil flask, any kind of small thin bottle like the grizelda bottle, jar of vanilla or whatever it is, firework? doom stealable bong like a soap dispenser, might look good tok. dyed, a single spidersilk might be a little too big to be a sponge...maybe a single muffin as a bar of soap.

As a time saver I will sometimes use an item that is near what I need as far as where it sits but isn't quite right. Then I'll dig through my resource/gem/stacked item chests looking for something usable, and I will grab stuff and drop it on top of the tester item on the ground. I can usually eyeball and see where the item would sit then put it back in the chest if it doesn't work.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cake of beeswax makes a great soap bar too, when you have the counter space. :)

-Skylark

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just about to say that Skylark! I use beeswax, the new brown thingy, cocoa butter? And a bunch of dates as a loofa!

K

Kratos Aurion

Cake of beeswax makes a great soap bar too, when you have the counter space. :)

-Skylark
tried it lol. Most items sit center or off center towards the north-east side to where they raise. Im gonna check the fireworks and muffins :)

The muffin serves as a decent substitute. Finished product below. I ended up having to lower the entire display slightly to match the hieght of the muffin on the lower tile. If anyone else finds a better substitute or has a better suggestion let me know please :)

Also, thanks everyone for all the help!

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tried it lol. Most items sit center or off center towards the north-east side to where they raise. Im gonna check the fireworks and muffins :)

The muffin serves as a decent substitute. Finished product below. I ended up having to lower the entire display slightly to match the hieght of the muffin on the lower tile. If anyone else finds a better substitute or has a better suggestion let me know please :)

Also, thanks everyone for all the help!
You can get the muffin to sit higher. Place three small tables on the tile where you are putting the muffin and try to put it on top. If it goes on top stack a coin then the muffin and if it goes on top stack two coins then the muffin...basically you want to get the muffin as high as possible this way. You may have to do just two small tables and coins (or bandages or ingots or whatever) and the muffin. You can lock down the muffin, take away the tables and let the coins and junk decay.

If you want it to sit even higher then you'll need to do a similar thing but while you are standing higher. So put down 2 square gozas next to each other, raise one by 2 and the other by 4, and walk up the gozas to stand on the higher one, then try to put the muffin on the table/coins/whatever and this will get it to pop up higher. You can actually go *too* high doing this so just try to keep the muffin on the same floor as you are, hehe. If you lose it you can do item tags to grab it, or you can run to the room above and pick it up off the floor.

It's a great trick for getting something just a little bit higher. So unnngh frustrating when something is perfect and will not quite go as high as you need!