• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Necro/Tamer

L

Loral

I recently stoned off about 90 resist on my tamer to do some testing and I am not overly missing it. There are a lot of things I can do with those points but I was wondering if any one had luck with small amounts of necro. I was looking at enough necro to cast, wraith, EO and Corpse Skin. Since a lot of my pvm is Greater Dragon or Bug use it seems like a nice boost to their damage, and wrath would be good for those occasional Fel champ spawns.

It looks good on paper but I was hoping someone who had tried it could comment. I was thinking like 20-30 necro and the balance in SS, some extra healing for me, saving mana for pet, or higher necro to avoid fails with no SS. I don't see a lot of people doing it so I am afraid I am missing something.

T

Turdnugget

107 Taming (85 real +jewels)
115 Lore (101 Real +jewel)
100 Necro
100 SS
100 Magery (+15 book)
100 EI ( for para fields/this chr does champ spawns so for offensive spells)
85 Vet (not sure if i'll take it to 90 or just leave it at 85)
I'll cap it off with chiv most likely... or put the rest in med.

You could drop EI if you don't plan on casting spells on people or creatures. So far, I love that template. By far the best spawning tamer template i've come up with, or tried.

It can mow through all low level spawn fairly easily. And with a GD tanking, I can sit behind it withering away at higher stuff too.

Remember that you need SS in order for Corpse Skin to last at all...For doing champ spawns, necro/tamer/mage is pretty much the best tamer template there is for the job. It's not the 'best' for every PvM situation, but pretty darn close.

A

athlon

The Necro Tamer is simply the most powerfull template in the game.

The postives is that you can kill so much so fast, it is ********. I literally at times dish out about 4,000+ points of damage within 10 seconds, and kill mobs of creatures in a heartbeat.

Just yesterday, i took out a group of 7 lesser hiryus and about 5 revenant lions (serado spawn) in about 9-12 seconds flat and my dragon was still at 1/4 HP.

I am not kidding, INCREDIBLE damage output.

Drawbacks? yes, there are some.

You have to be a very good, patient experienced player. You have to have some cash to buy a very good suit (90+ SDI and as much resists as you can jam on)

You have to have an UBER greater dragon. Mine has 892 HP and is only 12 total resists from max and has 128.7 wrestle.

And most of all (the experience) you HAVE to learn to position yourself and be aware of your surroundings and be quick to invis often.

The key is, cast as fast as possible, and have as much SDI and 120 Spirit Speak while your dragon is tanking a huge MOB, and you spam behind it.

Again, i have had basically every template in the game, and my favorite for a long time was the Sampire (was 2nd on GL shard to solo Dreadhorn, and made bank doing it selling each taint for 250k each at the time, and solod it 2-4 times daily getting all the loot, Bayard of Brit was my char).

I can tell you, the sampire is still powerfull, but nothing to an experienced Necro Tamer.

O

Old Man of UO

Athlon, what's your template?

I have a dungeon thief that I want to rebuild into something new. This sounds interesting.

U

ultima77

The Necro Tamer is simply the most powerfull template in the game.

The postives is that you can kill so much so fast, it is ********. I literally at times dish out about 4,000+ points of damage within 10 seconds, and kill mobs of creatures in a heartbeat.

Just yesterday, i took out a group of 7 lesser hiryus and about 5 revenant lions (serado spawn) in about 9-12 seconds flat and my dragon was still at 1/4 HP.

I am not kidding, INCREDIBLE damage output.

Drawbacks? yes, there are some.

You have to be a very good, patient experienced player. You have to have some cash to buy a very good suit (90+ SDI and as much resists as you can jam on)

You have to have an UBER greater dragon. Mine has 892 HP and is only 12 total resists from max and has 128.7 wrestle.

And most of all (the experience) you HAVE to learn to position yourself and be aware of your surroundings and be quick to invis often.

The key is, cast as fast as possible, and have as much SDI and 120 Spirit Speak while your dragon is tanking a huge MOB, and you spam behind it.

Again, i have had basically every template in the game, and my favorite for a long time was the Sampire (was 2nd on GL shard to solo Dreadhorn, and made bank doing it selling each taint for 250k each at the time, and solod it 2-4 times daily getting all the loot, Bayard of Brit was my char).

I can tell you, the sampire is still powerfull, but nothing to an experienced Necro Tamer.
Great stuff. Couple quick questions for you - how does this template fare with Peerless? Are you basically just spamming wither behind your GD + invisible when you need to, or is there something I'm missing? How did you reach 90+ SDI? I probably can't afford the Crystaline Ring, so 60-70 may be the most I can do. Is this not enough? Lastly, do you have EI on this template, or do you just use Necro for damage output? Thanks!

A

athlon

Athlon, what's your template?

I have a dungeon thief that I want to rebuild into something new. This sounds interesting.
Old Man:

120 Taming
120 Vet
110 Lore
(for a more powerfull necro you can lower above and put points elsewhere, but i like stable slots)

120 SS
110 Necro
110 Magery
Rest in Meditation

I use a scrappers with +10 med on it, Midnight Bracers with +20 necro, run in Wraith form.

Crystaline Ring = 20% SDI with +20 magery
Wizard Glasses = 15% SDI
Scrappers = 25% SDI
Pendant of Magi = 5% SDI (30% LRC)
Midnight Bracers = 10% SDI
Spell Woven Britches = 10% SDI
Orny = fast cast 2/Recovery 3 with 20% LRC and 10% LMC and 15 Energy resist

Now, you can go with a bracelet with 12% SDI on it for a total of 97% SDI, BUT i recommend NOT doing this unless you can find one with fast cast 1/recovery 2 because it is more important to cast faster and recover quicker than it is to gain the extra 12% SDI. You will do much more damage in a time interval because you are casting more withers. Do not use protection, because it slows your casting down WAY too much.

Throw on AoF and find gloves with 10% LRC and as much resists as you can pack on.

Crimson Cincture. Spell Channel Shield with as much resist as you can find. The tally all mages use. Robe and Cloak with resists.

All set!

O

Old Man of UO

I use a scrappers with +10 med on it, Midnight Bracers with +20 necro, run in Wraith form...
Thank you very much!

The only part I didn't understand is the bit about wearing the Midnight Bracers for the +20 Necro if you have 110 skill already in necro...
Are you saying that your skill cap is 120 necro or that you have 90 necro real skill and use the bracers to bring it up to 110?

Thanks... looks to be fun to try!

T

Turdnugget

Old Man, you can also follow my template, more or less... it's not as item dependent but I don't have nearly as much SDI. But I get by just fine. I don't do AS much damage per wither, but I mow through stuff just fine.

I have EI since I do champ spawns in Fel, so having that added EI is nice for casting spells on people as well as creatures. Plus, in later levels of spawn, I can cast para fields, and they actually last. Get a bunch of creatures stuck in para fields, with GD tanking + casting wither behind it, makes for easy kills.

The only Issue I run into w/not much med, is when I need to heal my pet while it's fighting the champ, but that's because my only bonded GD atm is a piece of crap. Once the other one is bonded and trained, it wont need nearly as much healing. But I can keep it alive and well.

For anything but the champ, i'm always in wraith form so I always have an abundance of mana, unless a magic caster casts mana vamp/drain on me.

You'll want to get as much DCI as you can as wel, trying to cast wither if you're surrounded by a bunch of low level spawn can be a pain in the butt as you'll get interrupted a lot.

Items i'm using are:
AoF
Kaza of Rajin
Arcane Shield (DCI/FC)
Invasion Book/Tome of Lost knowledge for +15 magery (for PvP)
Ring with 2FCR 11 Tame/14 Lore/6Phys/some str
Brace with 1/2 Casting, 9SDI, 11 Taming and something else
5 DCI quiver
The rest is runic armor to get me to 100% LRC and all resists 60+.

@ ultima77
how does this template fare with Peerless?
Depending on which template route you go, w/ or w/out med, this template does well with most peerless. I've really only seen the template in action with Lady Mel. Two tamers, one a necro/tamer/mage, other a mage/tamer...great thing about the necro, is they can cast the spell to raise the dead Satyrs so Lady Mel can't. They can also cast EO + Corpse Skin on Lady Mel, allowing the GD's firebreath to hurt her even more.

A

athlon

Oldman, turdnuggets template is the right way for you to go at first actually. You will want as much resists as you can at first to get used to positioning youir char around spawn and dragon so you dont get targeted.

If you go with my gear at first, you will prob die alot getting used to it. But with high resists, you can afford getting targeted and run away and invis before dying.

Matter of fact, i carry Kasa of Rajin and Legs of Embers with me and swap them out for wizard glasses and the spell woven britches when doing spawns with lichs/lich lords and the fire things that have the area effect.

But once you get experienced with this char, definately go straight SDI because you will kill things quicker, keep dragon alive and advance spawns at ridiculous rates, even solo.

One more trick to advance spawn quickly - use teleport spell to move through low level spawn so they immediately target you - get a ton following you then unload on all of them - killing everything with one simple wither. Repeat process.

K

Kryddost

How do you manage with mana if you have no Medi? Do you actually gain mana from casting Wither in Wraith Form?

T

Turdnugget

Yes, wraith form leeches mana with every harmful spell you cast that does damage. Wraith form leeches mana from spells/weapons. So everytime I cast wither on a bunch of creatures (as long as they have mana) first level spiders doesn't work, I get mana back, so i'm constantly keeping my mana pool nearly topped out.

The only time I run out of mana is sometimes when healing my pet vs. champs who have an area effect. But that's also because my pet has poor skills, my other GD in training will tank better and need less heals. But for Baracoon it's quite easy...Especially when he summons his little rat squad, free mana.

It does take time/practice to know when/where to wither and what spells to cast. The thing I love about my template, having EI, is that I can cast Para Fields and actually have creatures get stuck in them. So I park my GD, cast para fields about 3-4 deep, pet is chomping away while i'm withering away and the creatures can't do jack about it because everytime they move, they get stuck again.

Kry, the other thing is to have good LMC on your suit and at least a couple regen. It's kinda hard putting together a suit for it to have 100% LRC, 40% LMC and Regens... not to mention SDI/MR. It'd be easier if I didn't cram so many points in, but my jewels are dedicated to +taming/lore so I'm able to fit more skill in.

Mana management is key to success. Not just sitting behind your pet. The idea is to be a killing machine. So learning the template/abilities is key.

U

ultima77

Ok, I soul-stoned my bard skills and put all the relevant skills back on my character. I can't really afford to buy the Orny/crystalline jewlery, so this is what I pieced together instead....

Hat of Magi or Kasa, Midnight Bracers, Stitchers Mittens, Spellweaving Pants, Pendant of Magi, Barbed Tunic to compliment lacking resists, resist Robe/Cloak, Scrappers with +LRC, Chaos shield (1FC/2FCR), Brace with 11 Taming/2 FC and Poision, Fire, Cold Resists, and Ring with +Taming, LRC, and SDI (still looking for this ring).

After I finish, I should have 55+ in all resists, 2/5, 40LMC, close to 100% LRC (will use arcane boots if a little lower), and 70%+ SDI.

Template: 110 Taming, 110 Lore, 100 Vet, 100 Necro, 120 SS, 110 Magery, 120 Med.

Thoughts?

T

Turdnugget

I'd say focus more on resists/LRC than on SDI for now. I've got a base of 21 SDI (brace with 1/2, 11 taming 9 SDI) and my Kasa. I also throw on an invasion spellbook with 30SDI when withering.

You want to be able to stay alive while positioning your pet, so that you can stay away from getting hit, so you can go wither away once they're agro'd onto your pet. But having low resists can get you in a nasty bind. At least have high resists until you learn the template well enough that you can sacrifice here and there.

You could probably drop med down a bit too, as long as you got a few MR on your suit + wraith form leeching mana.

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah they good for some things but i would rather a disco tamer to kill things like rikktor solo just try him on a necro tamer your drag be dead then you served up in short order.

but since this is a necro tamer post ill throw in the best necro tamer's i have used.

#1 105 tame 110+ lore will control your gd very well 50 vet + jewels in pack + enhanced aids will let ya rez your pet when needed. 110 necro 120 ss 100 to 120 mage to use greater heal's invis gate recall ext last points use in either
Med, Spell weave, Resist, Poison, i like poison myself poi fields kick ass in spawns when they dealing high level poison and you leech the mana in wraith for the dmg your poi deals.

Gear on this one needs good bit of fc fcr unless you like protection then just need extra phis resists
good bet is to go with ornament, crystalline, kasa, midnight bracers, Aof, Massive resist lrc lmc if ya can afford them for rest of the parts NEVER USE pendant of magi unless you have max resists without a neck piece or are in a position to not need resist like doing peerless +2 mana regen 20 lrc 8 lmc neck made of verite by copper hammers will give you 35+ resists and keep you alive! Max resists is allways a must all 70's allways! well unless your in your 100 lrc luck suit. ;) Last and Most CRUCIAL Mage weapon be it a -20 sc no neg one hander so you can drink some potions or be it a staff of magi, sword of prosperity or staff of pyros to not have a mage weapon is just silly and will cause grey far to often. this will devastate a champ spawn.

To do champ spawns low levels let dragon go off and kill on its own you should go wither happy to advance it also animate some corpses here and there. once you get to level 3 or 4 depending on the spawn you will need to regroup with you beloved dragon and use the lure invis wither spam method more. Can kick ass if you run around drinking potions while withering so a -20 sc mage weapon is nice to have can even go with just a shield if your not a potion lover.

#2 necro tamer that works well vs peerless and other bosses

105 tame 110+ lore 50+ vet
big magery 100+
110+ spell weave
20 necromancy human joat works you just need to get into wraith
35 to 50 ss
120 disco 120 music use of jewels to get the disco off on the boss then swap to your fc fcr jewels

this template requires Massive mana regen off items hat of magi pendant of magi +2 on all other parts + lrc + lmc handy the new +3 regem spell book with big spell dmg totem of void the 1/2 shield ornament and a good 1/1 ring with good mods all you need though crystalline ring is nice for the added mana regen rune beetle carpace nice choice for armor if you can max your lrc while wearing it good way is to get that nice sash replica i love mine so many suits i can now use that were just shy of 100 lrc hehe.

You want max lower mana cost can bring some regs in to do the boss like melisand, trav or shimmer with less then 100 lrc. You want mana regen on all your gear if you can get it you will need to be endlessly healing your dragon which should be a superior dragon ++ 850+ hp and sweet resists with big skills

good to have honor and use it when doing lady meli for the satyr's good to have sacrifice and gift of life going important with this template to get an arcane focus bigger the better i get lvl 5 most the time sometimes my buds will go to prism of light and so a 6.

This template will kill trav shimmer and meli Solo no 2nd account as backup just you and the boss takes some tactics to do the satyr's but its fairly easy to get past them the one that spawns in the middle of the fight is the hard one to deal with but not so bad if you know what to do honor self Disco it let it target pet then lay down some dmg spells on it essence of wind + mind blast works nice slows it down and meli also so you can recover your mana after its toast. at no point do you want dragon off of meli or you might get a second or even 3rd satyr to spawn that just sux. Disco your best friend vs the satyr. vs trav you need to embrace honor when ninja spawn and shimmer you just have to deal with the other things in a good manner use the dragon to kill them in disco. the key is vs meli to Word of death in wraith form
with 40+ spell dmg you can pull 400+ points of dmg and leech your mana back up to do another wod and another ext ext till she bone dry for mana then heal pet a bit and do it some more!! till she dies honor self is sometimes handy when she spawns her last hope the dryad reaper and harpy though 99% of the time the last wod kills her and dragon will deal with them in short order.

A

athlon

Dont agree on having max resists being a 'MUST' at all. Maybe for someone new to the template, but an experienced necro tamer should have 90%+ SDI as a must.

i have 70 phys resist then all the rest are about 35.

The difference in SDI is huge. I can tell you that i would not be able to keep my dragon alive with 20 sdi or maybe even 30 sdi when my dragon is surrounded by 10 tough things. You have to kill stuff as quickly as possible not only to keep your dragon alive, but to also advance the candles as quickly as possible so the do not reset (when doing solo).

Imagine 10 tough things on your dragon. If you can wither and do 91 damage to each lesser hiryu every 1 second - vs. doing 60 damage - big difference and possibly the life of your dragon. And if your dragon goes down, everytthing immediately targets you and you could go down. Plus the time it takes to rez and re-heal dragon -

Use high resists at first to gain experience, use high SDI after you are comfortable so your spawning is as efficient as possible. You will soon be doing about 1k damage every second and watching MOBS of tough creatures dropping all over quickly.

O

Old Man of UO

Athlon,

what items are you using to get 90SDI, high LMC and high mana regen?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But for Baracoon it's quite easy...Especially when he summons his little rat squad, free mana.

You mention the Baracoon spawn in Felucca.........

A couple of questions.......

First of all, since in Felucca pets balls of summoning do not work, you need to actually "walk" the Greater Dragon all the way down there ?

Ain't it annoying with all of the spawn disturbing the pet and, on top of that, having to walk to the lowest level ??

Second, how can you run the spawn without pkillers bothering you all the time ??

Baracoon is one of the Champ spawns most attended by pkillers so it surprises me that you mention it as a soloable Champ Spawn in Felucca......

T

Turdnugget

Pet ball only works when outside the spawn area... more or less. So it's pretty easy to walk outside the 'spawn zone' and summon your pet.

Ain't it annoying with all of the spawn disturbing the pet and, on top of that, having to walk to the lowest level ??
What do you mean by this statement? If referring to the Baracoon spawn in Despise, you can enter in through Fire Dungeon in Serpents Hold...go through the evil mage room right near the entrance of the dungeon.

And yes, that is most frequented by PK's... But Baracoon spawns all over T2A as well, you just gotta look for it.

If PK's do come to the spawn, I stop spawning, and fight back. It's a part of spawning in Fel. I've PvP'd for years, so i'm not afraid if PK's show up. If I die, I only lose a little insurance, and maybe a SoT...maybe the spawn. But it's part of the fun of the game =) risk.

Baracoon is quite soloable in Felucca. Depends on the time of day and how populated your server is. Typically in the morning before work is when I can get a solo one off, the only other people on during that time are usually the Asians chaining Despise. Every so often they'll scout out T2A and find me... but that only happend once. Got to the champ, they took it over, but my friend and I got some revenge and killed 3-4 of them =)

Baracoon is the easiest spawn to mow through on a necro tamer so getting to the champ doesn't take very long... I think it took me 20mins or so to get to the champ at the Marble spawn.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pet ball only works when outside the spawn area... more or less. So it's pretty easy to walk outside the 'spawn zone' and summon your pet.

What do you mean "outside of spawn area" ?

My understanding was that in Felucca pet balls did not work anywhere inside of dungeons, only outside.

If referring to the Baracoon spawn in Despise, you can enter in through Fire Dungeon in Serpents Hold...go through the evil mage room right near the entrance of the dungeon.
Are you talking about going to Baracoon down Felucca Despise with or without a Greater Dragon along ?

If without (assuming that the pet ball would work once down the lowest level of the dungeon), then entering from the regular Despise Entrance rather than from Serpent's Hold would not be less hassle ?

And yes, that is most frequented by PK's... But Baracoon spawns all over T2A as well, you just gotta look for it.
The Second Age lands ? I thought only the Oaks spawn was there.
Now there is a Barracoon ?

What ruleset is T2A now ? Trammel or Felucca open to pkillers ?

If PK's do come to the spawn, I stop spawning, and fight back. It's a part of spawning in Fel. I've PvP'd for years, so i'm not afraid if PK's show up. If I die, I only lose a little insurance, and maybe a SoT...maybe the spawn. But it's part of the fun of the game =) risk.
Indeed, but since I remember insurance being at times bugged, it sure is a nasty surprise to come back to life and find that expensive piece of gear is gone because it did not stay on ghost but rather stayed on corpse......

Loosing millions for an insurance bug which can show up unexpected "can" put off one's own wish to adventure Felucca, doesn't it ?

T

Turdnugget

Pet ball works all over fel. Outside spawn area meaning, where there is no spawn spawning... if you run a few screens away from where you actually see spawn, you can use your ball.

There are like 8+ other spawn sites in the lost lands, not just Oaks. All of which are random spawns.

Run into Fire Dungeon, evil mage room right by the entrance has two sparklies (in Fel) the one on the left takes you down to Despise spawn level. That's where I summon GD, the evil mage room.

T2A is Trammel and Felucca, depends which facet you enter on. No champ spawns there in Trammel. Only Trammy spawns in Ilshenar and Tokuno.

Insurance bug typically only hits after a recent pub...they always seem to eff them up. Losing an item/gold etc... it's part of the risk for greater rewards in Fel.

F

Fumoffu

Athlon, looking at your template and what items you use, am i correct to assume that you have

90 necro base skill (110 necro from Midnight bracers)
90 magery base skill (110 magery from Crystalline ring)

which gives quite a bit left for meditation or are u stacking it above 110 necro and magery?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Sha'etemmu, my necro tamer, is one of my favorites. Be mindful of your suit mods and hp - make sure you have all the fc/fcr, mr, lmc you need, as well as 120-or-so hp.

Here's the template I use:

120 med (97+ +11 ring, +12 book)
120 ss (110 +10 mark of trav)
115 mage (105 +10 book)
115 lore (110 + 5 Bird of Brit)
110 taming (93 +5 birds of brit, +12 ring)
110 vet
105 necro (95 +10 mark of trav)

If I were going to drop something lower, I'd bring mage to 100. Vet could drop to 100, too, need be.

5% Luck

I run a sampire tamer. Insteade of parry resist I put in taming lore and vet.

119 taming
110 lore
100 vet
120 macing
100 tactics
89 bushido
99 necro
65 chivalry
9 magery
6 med

I have 817 skill points showing

Again the necro makes this a very damage output friendly template. With the proper slayer and pet I can kill a swoop in about 10 seconds.

To me it is a sampire template and the shield is my pet. If I get an aoe caster I can leech through it!
I have a nice post in the warrior forum under sampire help (experienced) listing my items and stats.

F

Fumoffu

How are necro tamers for doom compared to say a discord/provo tamer.

I know Farsight said that provo tamers are best for doom, but someone else said it takes a while using provo tamers to down Dark Father. Any experiences?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It takes a while for anything to bring down the dark father.

The advantage that the provo-tamer has is that the only side spawn that doesn't help you are the lich lords (retarget after area effect). The disadvantage is you're not able to use many direct damage attacks since your mana pool goes toward healing your pet.

The advantage of the necro-tamer is that you can use corpse skin in order to increase the power of your flame strikes/poison spikes, but that reduces the damage your dragon does over time. It does keep you in mana though. The disadvantage is that it requires a lot more management than other tamer types because you have to worry about offense, defense, side spawns and healing. But if you do it well (or in a group with someone else handling healing/side spawn duties) then you kill the dark father much more quickly than most other templates.

N

NickyDishes

he he level 6 focus spellweaving with 85 sdi i solo dark father in 20-30 min provo is not the best for df

S

Storx

Syrus of Gahd,

Can you please most more of your gear you run with, I like the way your setup and interested in know what the rest of the gear you are running. I am currently in the training phase of building up my tamer. I really need to pick a template cause as of today im at 88.4 taming and its starting to move again after my dry spell at 85ish. I am looking for something that is logical at the spawns but very usefull at peerless and doom.. i just recently came back to the game and been playing my ABC archer and wanted to try something a little easier and not so costly on the pocket.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Syrus of Gahd,

Can you please most more of your gear you run with, I like the way your setup and interested in know what the rest of the gear you are running. I am currently in the training phase of building up my tamer. I really need to pick a template cause as of today im at 88.4 taming and its starting to move again after my dry spell at 85ish. I am looking for something that is logical at the spawns but very usefull at peerless and doom.. i just recently came back to the game and been playing my ABC archer and wanted to try something a little easier and not so costly on the pocket.
Sha'etemmu, my necro/tamer, is wearing a necro/SS mark of travesty that I picked up at an IDOC, which adds to 20 skill altogether (10 necro, 10 ss).

I'm using the Birds of Brit talismen, which gives me an extra 10 points (5 taming, 5 lore).

I'm holding a spellbook I picked up off the ground in Luna with 12 med and 10 magery (as well as 2 fcr, I believe).

My ring has 12 taming and 11 meditation.

These are all of my skill pieces. These items aside, I am also using pendant of the magi, stitcher's mittens, rune beetle carapace, custom-made arms/legs, chaos shield museum of vesper replica, quiver of infinity, ornament of the magician, cloak of death, and crimson cincture.

Altogether, the suit has 100 lrc, 3/7 (I know, max for necro is 2/6), 40 lmc, 9 mr, as well a little hpr and dci. Regarding resists, I knew that I'd be running wraith form a lot, so I took that into account when building the suit.

Your first priority should be 100 lrc, 2/6, 40 lmc, and at least 5 mr (and 60s resists, if possible). Next, add whatever skill increasing items you can (you could use tome of lost knowledge for the book). Be sure you have enough hp - I'd say at least 120.

That's all I can remember atm (Atlantic shard is down for maintenance). Let me know if you have other questions.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ok, I assume the value is to be able to spam spells faster.

I assume your assisting the Pet by casting various Necromancer spells, presumably Wither, Pain Spike etc.
I designed him to rock champ spawns. The strategy is to run wraith form and anchor myself to my greater: let spawn target the greater, than wither away. In wraith form, you can wither indefinitely, and with pet there, you're pretty well protect from damage. Wither also allows me to kill stuff before my pet takes too much damage, which keeps my pet alive longer. This guy pretty well decimates spawn.

And yes, 2/6 allows necro to cast wither, etc., more quickly (same for mages). The difference between 0/0 and 2/6 is enormous.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I designed him to rock champ spawns. The strategy is to run wraith form and anchor myself to my greater: let spawn target the greater, than wither away. In wraith form, you can wither indefinitely, and with pet there, you're pretty well protect from damage. This guy decimates spawn.

And yes, 2/6 allows necro to cast wither, etc., more quickly (same for mages). The difference between 0/0 and 2/6 is enormous.
Yeah I can see the Wither, Strangle and Pain Spike.

I have a Mage, Spellweaver, Necromancer Template I am playing with. By using a mix of the SpellWeaving and Necromancers, the Ogre Lord can take on significantly harder mobs than without them. That template is geared towards LMC/LRC/MR and I rarely ever need any additional MR. I do understand that a Necro/Tamer may need to be concerned about that.

My Peace Tamer has issues with MR, so I do not put her in a position to be using a lot of manna.

My Stealth Tamer has much less issues with MR and I have no qualms about stepping him back and Greater Healing the pet.

I am still trying to warm up to the Necromancer Template.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, there are downsides to necro/tamer, just as there are downsides to every template. I'd say the main downfall for my necro/tamer is no eval int, which means he's basically limited to area spells with cold and poison damage (i.e., wither and poison strike).

This is my fourth tamer. I use necro/mage/tamer for champs, weaver/mage/tamer for peerless, archer/chiv/tamer for PvP (and SLs most recently), and stealth/mage/tamer for peerless keys. Just a matter of weighing the difference.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You ever animate corpses?

I was playing down in the Fan Dancers DoJo and the Fan Dancers animate as Lich's.

The animated corpse does not appear to count vs followers and I was not getting any impression there was a max number you could have.

I had lost the Ogre Lord due to an unexpected Add so I was Using EV's. I would say the 2 EV's (I was on an Ostard) plus the 3 to 4 Animated Lich's were doing the Fan Dancer at the leas as fast as a Cu and perhaps as fast or faster than a Greater Dragon.

I guess I am going to need to get up to speed on the Animated spell and try to get a good understanding as to what it does, other than the obvious of animating a corpse.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yes, indeed. At tok champ, its fun to animate hiryus. You can have an army of one greater and three skeletal dragons. Very fun. :)

F

Fumoffu

I kinda made a similar necro tamer to both turdnugget and athlon. Tried to put a lot of spell damage, but my resists aren't too great.

I tend to die a lot when I get targeted when I wither...sometimes poisoned so i can't invis right away... I know Athlon said you gotta know what to do and be patient.

Syrus you said you anchor yourself to your dragon. How do you prevent yourself from being targeted. I thought mobs are able to switch targets now. As soon as I wither, most of the time I get targeted. I can continue to wither wither wither and hope i don't die first, or I wither, invis, wither, invis...

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yes, mobs can change targets, but don't stop withering. Instead, make some adjustments to your gear and stats.

First, you want at least 120 hp. A crimson cincture can help with this. Also, hrp from a conjurer's trinket, totem of the void, etc. won't hurt. This change can dramatically enhance your survivability: even if you do get hit, it will take much longer for you to die, giving you time to invis/heal.

Second, try adding some defense chance increase to your armor. Cloak of death and armor of fortune are a good start. I never viewed dci as very important re: pvm, until I adjusted my pure necro/mage's suit for PvP. The difference is not earth-shattering, but certainly notable.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless there is a compelling reason not to, I would think a Mage -0 Weapon would be a definite plus to surviving an attack.

I know on my tamers (Stealth and Peace) the Combined DCI + Mage -0 keeps them healthy and alive a Lot.

On another note, I have been looking around for the details on Animate Dead and can not find anything other than the basic.

What are the Limits to this spell, is it 3 Animations? I read that it consumes a Follower slot, but I am very confident it did not consume any when I was playing with them.

What is the Attack triggers for them? What I read may be accurate but it doesn't seem to fit how these were going off.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm not sure what triggers animate dead, but I am certain that 1) you can summon up to three and b) they do not consume any pet slots. Again, I've had a greater dragon (consumes all slots) and three skeletals many tens of times.

F

Fumoffu

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I use a totem of the void and i guess i'll put on a quiver of infinity. Was going to get a resist cloak.

How important is resists type versus DCI do you think. And may I know your base stats? I have like 20 dex which almost makes me run out of stam once I get hit twice and then I can't run anymore.

Enigma, what do u use your peace tamer for? I'm assuming your stealth tamer is for pvp?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
My necro/tamer's resists are in the low 60s. I just use him for PvM (champs), so that's all I really need. When calculating the reists on your suit, don't forget to take into account the different necro forms. I always run wraith form, so I made sure my resists would be 60s in that form.

My necro/tamer also has 20 dex. Not sure how much strength...enough to have 120 hp. He's also an elf, for the mana increase.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enigma, what do u use your peace tamer for? I'm assuming your stealth tamer is for pvp?
My Peace Tamer is good for anything except Greater Dragons, from a taming perspective and when she is out with any pet Peacing, most certainly levels the playing field. Nothing quite like a Mob just standing there getting killed and doing nothing.

The Stealther is PvM not PvP but the principle from a usage perspective is mostly the same. From a Taming perspective I can walk him around anywhere and find what I want to tame and tame it. (Greater Dragons and Rare Cu's get Honor Taming Treatment)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
he he level 6 focus spellweaving with 85 sdi i solo dark father in 20-30 min provo is not the best for df

Solo the Dark Father spawn ?

How is this possible ?

May I ask what template, gear and tactics you are using to be able to solo the Dark Father in 20-30 minutes ?

Do you include in that time also the time to do the individual rooms to actually spawn the Dark Father ?

F

Fumoffu

I wish I can get a level 6 focus easy. To bad i'm a loner in game. :danceb:

J

[JD]

Ok I was excited by this thread and decided to try something else. I stoned off my spellweaving and meditation, and let med raise til 40 then I locked it. ill probably train it down further but right now I have enough points to have that little bit "just in case"

my question involves where is the best place to place my Faster Cast Recovery and Faster Casting.

I am at 52 Spell Damage Increase currently:

Kasa of Rai-jin
Pendant of Magi
Midnight Bracers
Conjurer's Grimorie

I got sick of waiting to be able to find/buy a Crystalline ring so I had a friend imbue me a kick ass ring:

FCR2, FC1, SDI 10, Taming 13, LRC 15.

That brings me to 52 SDI, with FCR2 and FC1.

So my question is:

Assuming caps are FCR 6 and FC2,

I could obtain the remaining FCR 4 and FC1 from:

* An ornament or an imbued bracelet
* Vesper shield of chaos replica
* I could toss the Grimoirie for Scrappers, and get 10 more SDI as well

I mainly want to know if Scrappers is worth ditching the grimoire for. I like the fact it is an undead slayer (for deceit spawns) as well as the +15 magery. Without Grimoire I wouldn't have 115 magery, but I suppose I can put it on jewelry bracelet...

---

Also how important is Defense Chance Increase for a necro/mage/tamer? I thought it was for melee but read it could help with spell interrupts also.

Lastly what do you feel about protection vs. casting faster. I love the way protection lets me cast when under attack, but I am slowed down in my spell speeds.

thank you

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
DCI is only effective if you are using a -mage weapon. It will not make a difference if you are carrying a book, such a scrappers.

Personally, 2/6 is a mimimum requirement for all of my mage suits. Getting a heal or an invis off faster can save your life.

For faster casting, you could throw on the vesper replica shield. This would bring you to 2/4. Then, you could either a) use grimoire/Tome of Lost Knowledge and add 2 fcr to your bracelet, or b) use a 30 sdi, 2 fcr invasion spellbook.

J

[JD]

I think the invasion books are terribly rare, I would put that up on the "wish list". I think the most obtainable ones would be the Scrappers for 25 SDI/FCR1/FC1..

Haven't seen a scrappers for sale for a while tho.

I want to have a bracelet imbued but what I need will depend on the book I choose :)

Thanks for the info about DCI, I do have a mage weap but i rarely weild it. It's more for fun or for smal annoying things, not to actually kill anything. I would only be interested in DCI if it kept me alive while im trying to cast heal/invis/cure/wither or something similar.

What aobut the protection spell.. a friend gave me advice to try it, ive liked it a lot, although I get pounded by spells and it does slow casting down. But it allows me to cast while being attacked, which seems to be always. LOL

Will Faster Casting/FCR help me cast faster even when under the effects of Protection? (castable mage spell)

thakns