• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Necro Dexxer?

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been considering the possibility of creating a necromancer swordsman for some time now, but I never really realized how cramped such a template would be until I began putting down the numbers.

The theme of the character would be anti-caster (a contrast to my Bushido Poisoner, who I'm trying to build to handle warriors).

120 Swordsmanship
100 Anatomy
105 Tactics
105 Resisting Spells (120 w/Resillient Bracer)
100 Necromancy
100 Spirit Speak
90 Healing

He would have Mace & Shield Glasses or Brightsights, Ring of the Vile or the Essence of Battle, Jackals Collar, Quiver of Infinity, Resillient Bracer, Heart of the Lion or the Rune Beetle Carapace, Leggings of the Fey, Elder Detective or Snake Skin Boots, Stormgrips, Conjurers Trinket, and would probably alternate between a Katana and Scythe (until SA). DCI would be maxed out for those occasions when he does need to fight a warrior. He will obviously have to use potions as well. Dexterity would be as high as I could manage to take it (Ring of Vile and Jackals will help with that) for bandaids.

I would be using Vampire Form, so if I can't get Fire Resist up I will keep a pair of Brightsights with me along with the Mace & Sheilds.

Although this would be pretty weak as far as arms go, I've considered using the Arms of Tactical Excellence to take him up to 117 Tactics. The downside is I would probably suffer in a couple resists for that 12 point boost. Worth it?

Advice? Where could this setup be better?

J

Jaimes

I've been considering the possibility of creating a necromancer swordsman for some time now, but I never really realized how cramped such a template would be until I began putting down the numbers.

The theme of the character would be anti-caster (a contrast to my Bushido Poisoner, who I'm trying to build to handle warriors).

120 Swordsmanship
100 Anatomy
105 Tactics
105 Resisting Spells (120 w/Resillient Bracer)
100 Necromancy
100 Spirit Speak
90 Healing

He would have Mace & Shield Glasses or Brightsights, Ring of the Vile or the Essence of Battle, Jackals Collar, Quiver of Infinity, Resillient Bracer, Heart of the Lion or the Rune Beetle Carapace, Leggings of the Fey, Elder Detective or Snake Skin Boots, Stormgrips, Conjurers Trinket, and would probably alternate between a Katana and Scythe (until SA). DCI would be maxed out for those occasions when he does need to fight a warrior. He will obviously have to use potions as well. Dexterity would be as high as I could manage to take it (Ring of Vile and Jackals will help with that) for bandaids.

I would be using Vampire Form, so if I can't get Fire Resist up I will keep a pair of Brightsights with me along with the Mace & Sheilds.

Although this would be pretty weak as far as arms go, I've considered using the Arms of Tactical Excellence to take him up to 117 Tactics. The downside is I would probably suffer in a couple resists for that 12 point boost. Worth it?

Advice? Where could this setup be better?
I've personally never been a fan of >100 tactics, especially with a hybrid template. I don't feel it adds enough. For starters you may want to shift those 5 pts over into Necromancy. 105 Nec gives you 100% chance to cast strangle, which is of course a critical spell in PvP. I'm assuming this is mainly for PvP, o/w my advice would change a bit.

I'm a little leery of the Healing+Anatomy, only because I've never liked to wait for my heals in PvP. It's a personal bias :p I suppose it's useful. Some of the most successful Necro/Dexers I've come across used Poisoning and Med (some even didn't run resist, which is of course a pain especially in PvP). Precasting Blood Omen vs. a mage, running up to them, dropping it as they cast explosion on you or something similar, then opening with a lethal poison and whatever other tricks you wanna throw in (pain spike, armor ignore, bleed, etc) is basically an overwhelming combination of attacks.

Take my post with a grain of salt though. I haven't played in ages, and I never played a necro/dexer extensively in PvP. I was more of a Necro/Mage! But I used to play on SP back before I quit. A few tricks you may not be aware of include: using a wolf familiar to tame bake kitsunes (I dunno if this still works! you can bond them too IIRC, but make sure you have the wolf out when you're commanding them).

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks! I'll take my Necromancy up to 105.

I'm still a little concerned about Healing. I've been told that Healing will do me more good than Chivalry (especially since Necromancy is going to eat up my karma), but unlike most folks, this template is short twenty points in Anatomy. When necessary, I can drop my shield and drink a potion, but Healing still would be my main skill in that department.

Would dropping Spirit Speak to 80 mess me up? I intend to focus on Vampire and Wraith Form, but it would still be nice to drop Wither and Poison Strike now and then.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks! I'll take my Necromancy up to 105.

I'm still a little concerned about Healing. I've been told that Healing will do me more good than Chivalry (especially since Necromancy is going to eat up my karma), but unlike most folks, this template is short twenty points in Anatomy. When necessary, I can drop my shield and drink a potion, but Healing still would be my main skill in that department.

Would dropping Spirit Speak to 80 mess me up? I intend to focus on Vampire and Wraith Form, but it would still be nice to drop Wither and Poison Strike now and then.
Personally, for any dexxer PvP type of template, you will regret not having 120 parry.

Since you have a straight-up hybrid template, you will have to maximize your spell casting repertoire in order to be successful.

As it stands at the moment, based on the list of gear stated, your fasted possible casting will be 3/3. 3/3 is feasible for PvP purposes, but not anything less than that (to be competitive as a dexxer).

Tactics is personal playing style, but I find it to be an overrated skill for the PvP arena. Most moves are capped and you would like that extra points in a more viable, survival oriented fighting skill.

Chivalry is a tough skill for me to go without in terms of a PvP type of setup. There are enough benefits to it for me that it is hard to ignore. Not to mention, useful for when you have to battle at champs, spawn, or farming tough creatures.

I have run many PvP dexxer templates that have karma swap. It is a little annoying, but frankly it is easily dealt with.

Other than that at the moment, I would ditch the brightsight lenses. Start with your headgear and build something off of that setup. If tactics skill is that important to you, I would find +tactics on jewelry, not on using the arms. Use the arms in order to get your fire resist up to what you need it to be.

Start in vamp. form and build your suit.
If using a spellcasting repertoire, just go with 100% LRC. Is it difficult to make up a suit? Sure it is, BUT it is not impossible to still make a dexxer-tailored suit where you can still spellcast.

I'm not sure what else you have in mind or what you want to know.