• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Name That Cu!

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
C

Connor_Graham

I've had my latest Cu Sidhe for a few weeks now, and for the life of me I can't come up with a name that I'm happy with. The best I've been able to come up with so far is Bonnie Blue Biter. Bonnie because Cu's are Scottish, Blue..well...because it's blue, and Biter because that's what they do.

I'd like some help from the more creative people here, and am willing to offer 250k (on Pacific) to the person who comes up with a name that I actually like.

I will give one tip- It would be great to come up with a name that I can transfer to any Cu, as the one I have now is only so-so, and will eventually be replaced at some time.

Good luck and thanks!

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blues Brother - and now the best thing: i give you that name for free :thumbsup:

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My blue cu is huckleberry hound. I got him off another account of someone who was quitting, he came with the name. :thumbsup:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Alejandro. All pets should be named Alejandro.

M

MoneyMaker

Witch Doctor. Goes great since they can heal, and never use bandies to do it. Freebie.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mel because he has a blue face like that great Scottish leader, Mel gibson

U

uoBuoY

Cu Shiite
CuCamonga (google it with johnny carson)
Dogbert
Blue Scot Biter
Growly

G

GFY

Here Connor,

Scoobie Doo

Scoobie Blue

Cu Cullen (an Irish folk hero) Cu means hound in Irish BTW

Cu Connor (The Hound of Connor!)

C

Connor_Graham

Cu Connor (The Hound of Connor!)
Actually, that would be "Cu Kaetlynn", as Kaetlynn Graham is my tamer.

Not really seeing anything that's catching my eye so far. Some of the names are too "commercial", if that makes sense, and others getting into the vulgar range, which I won't go for. Kaetlynn is a goody two shoes. Then there are some I just don't get at all...

I really wanted Bonnie Butt Biter to begin with but the naming filter won't let me. Damn communists....:D

Keep the names coming though! I see a couple of maybe's, just nothing that jumps out at me yet.

T

Tazar

Aye... some of the names the filter rules out seem a little silly to me... I can't even name my ferret "Leg Humper". (ever seen how the ferret's walk?)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Alejandro...

C

Connor_Graham

To give you guys some idea as to what I'm looking for, here are the names of some of my other pets, hopefully this will head things in the right direction:

GD- Draconic Anarchy (I just love this one!)
Rune Beetle- Toku Black Death
Hiryu (red, white & blue)- Spirit
Dread War Horse- A Dread Nightmare
Nightmare- Dark Honor
Pack Llama- The Dolly Llama

I've also got an albino squirrel that I freed from it's crystal that I haven't been able to come up with a name for yet. Bonus to anyone that can name this one too!

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Forget Me Not - They are a pretty blue flower

I'd name the squirrel Paintbrush for the squirel hair paint brushes they sell. I had one named Quill on my scribe for the longest time. It looks like you could just pick it up and dip that tail in ink to use it.

Just tossing in a suggestion. I've had a hard time myself naming pets of late. I have a dragon with the horrible name of Buffalo Chicken Wings that I'm still trying to decide on a real name for. (ok I've had it well over 6 months now with that name. I can't think of names well anymore)

sligachan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On second thoughts conCubineharvester :danceb: hmmm maybe too many letters there arghhhhh

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bob. When all other names feel like they lack something, go with Bob.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 3 fallbacks for naming pets.

Firstly, main tamer has pets named after virtues and as you've got a Spirit and Honor, that might suit you too.

Second, you could pick a language you like the sound of and find a name in there. I use celtic languages quite a lot and sometimes I tweak names a little. My first cu was Feolan, kits Cadno and Sionnaich and my pack Delbaeth, Fianna, Danu, Midhir and Briga.

Or third fallback is the random name generators. Not sure if it's still going, but Seventh Sanctum rings a bell.

Wenchy

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fang Fuzzybottom

Puppy Power

Blue Bonnet

My cu are named Snarl Everwind (after a famous pirate on Napa) and Longtooth (after a fictional comic book wolf)
My kits are named Flotsam and Jetsam (after... well... nevermind)
My dragons are Blood Stone and a jabberwocky (a guildmate named hers "a frumious bandersnatch" and I had to go with the theme).

If you don't take Fuzzybottom, I'll have to use it myself.

C

Connor_Graham

There have been some good suggestions.

So far I'm leaning toward either Scooby Dooby Cu or Canine Justice, from suggestions from GFY and Wenchkin. I'll give it a few more days to see if anyone can come up with anything I like better, then make a final decision.

I'm also thinking of Snowball From Hell for my squirrel, if the commie naming convention will allow me to.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Shrug* Rhiannon .... but then again ... Lilith is always a good name :)

The Sidhe live in the Otherworld, called Eile-Saoghal in Scots Gaelic,
but often journey into this one via portals such as burial mounds or
particular trees. The horsewoman Rhiannon appeared out of the Mound at
Arberth when it opened at certain special times of the year. Equally,
Pwyll later entered the fairy court through it when he was wooing
Rhiannon.

Portals are often two-way affairs, reminiscent of the kind
of interdimensional gateways beloved of so many science fiction films
and TV shows today.

In the Otherworld they have their own dogs, cats,
cattle, etc. It is described as very much a sensual, physical place,
rather than some abstract world of ethereal harp twanging. These
strange creatures can sometimes be seen in this world, and are most
commonly identified by their colouring the body is mostly white, but
with red extremities (such as ears and paws). The canine cu-sidhe are
often described as running with hunting parties across stormy skies.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For the Squirrel:

- Bleached Fury
- Secret

For the Cu:

- a nice doggie
- Go Fetch
- the Real Blue's Cu (sorry, I've got little kids)
- a pound puppy (if you are 80s nostalgic)
- Gmork (you probably can guess where this one is from)
- Blue Light Special (or Blue Light Cu)
- McGruff the Crime Cu

Not sure if you like any of those... but I'd start a char on Pac if I had some initial gold. :) Good luck naming your new pets.

-OBSIDIAN-

O

Orthus

Of course you could always go with Norwegian Blue, but it'd spend all its time pining for the fiords...

C

Connor_Graham

Ok, a little twist on things...

I was recently given a plain jane Cu that's better than the blue one, so will be using that one instead, so some of these names won't work now. The blue I'll work to 5x GM and sell, so I won't have it very long.

*ducks*

W

Whinemaker

To give you guys some idea as to what I'm looking for, here are the names of some of my other pets, hopefully this will head things in the right direction:

GD- Draconic Anarchy (I just love this one!)
Rune Beetle- Toku Black Death
Hiryu (red, white & blue)- Spirit
Dread War Horse- A Dread Nightmare
Nightmare- Dark Honor
How's "Healer of Death" or "Death Healer"?
Just replacing "Dealer" with "Healer" for the Cu's special skill...

S

Stupid Miner

"Autolykos" (Ow-taw-loo-kaws)is ancient Greek, roughly translates as Master Wolf though you could translate it with any synonym for master such as chief or leader or whatever you prefer.

*edit: if your Cu is female it would be "Autolyke" (Ow-taw-loo-kay)

C

Connor_Graham

CuCuCaChew
Lol, I never was much for Simon & Garfunkel. I'm still leaning toward either Scooby Dooby Cu or Canine Justice. I'll make a decision between the 2 (or maybe use both for a while) by Wednesday if nothing better comes up before then.

I'm also still leaning toward Snowball from Hell for the squirrel. Sorry, but I haven't seen anything I like better yet.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My pets are all 'music'. My Cu is Ceilidh - to keep both the music theme and the gaelic connection. My blue frenzied is 'Rhapsody' You'll need to have some knowledge of Gerswin to get that one I suppose.

To give someone 'the blues', you'd make them sad, mournful, despondent?

I'll suggest Mournful Blue or Blue Mourning as a name.

C

Connor_Graham

You might have missed the post in which I'd said that I was given a new Cu that was better than the blue one, so will end up selling the blue off as soon as I get it trained up to 5x GM. I've now got a plain one that I'll use until I can find a better one, so what I'm really looking for is something that can carry over from Cu to Cu.

C

Connor_Graham

I'm still deciding between Scoobie Doobie Cu and Canine Justice, but it's time to call an end to this contest. These 2 names are from derivatives of names from GFY and Wenchkin, so if they will contact me by PM, I'll make arrangements to meet them and give each a check for 250k. Additionally, I'd also like to give a special recognition award to Sarsmi for "Blue Suede Cu" of another check for 250k, as if I do end up finding a really good blue Cu, I will use that name for it.

Thanks all for your suggestions and congratulations to the winners!