• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mysticism will not raise on reptalon...

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've maxed out my reptalon - and put on myst, but its still on 20. I also added powerscrolls, and did train thoose skills up.

We did some champ hunt, and he killed all kind of low and high monsters - but still the myst is not raising on him.

Any idea?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My guess would you you added some other magic ability after mysticism that canceled mysticism out, like poisoning or disco or chiv or something

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did add poisoning - aye, so - how to fix that`? Need a GM?

The only way to fix it is if you still have points you can put myst back.

Otherwise Nope. You now have a 120 myst scroll on a pet that does not use that skill. Sorry

But @Larisa can come here and wave her finger at you for not reading the instructions before you did it.

Ive seen a lot of people put the wrong values and skills on their pets. We should be able to wipe a pet and start with avg skills on it, this mainly affects the casual players that we need to keep.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
more than likely you need to train a new Cu.

There should have been a warning gump specifying that adding X skill would remove X skill. although adding stats quickly they're easy to skip.
Myst is there, just says 20 skillpoints...

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
We need a way to remove a magical ability and gain the points back, because too many people did this kind of mistake by now.
And that is points to a major design flaw on the system.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We need a way to remove a magical ability and gain the points back, because too many people did this kind of mistake by now.
They need to fix the AI of the pets containing certain skills.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The only way to fix it is if you still have points you can put myst back.

Otherwise Nope. You now have a 120 myst scroll on a pet that does not use that skill. Sorry

But @Larisa can come here and wave her finger at you for not reading the instructions before you did it.

Ive seen a lot of people put the wrong values and skills on their pets. We should be able to wipe a pet and start with avg skills on it, this mainly affects the casual players that we need to keep.
If the planner actually worked properly and all you could use it and it would say turn red when you try to add something that will remove something else letting you know it's bogus... should also let you know somehow that even if you see something like Necromancy on your pet that your pet doesn't actually "have" that skill until you add it at which time you'll lose something else.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There should have been a warning gump specifying that adding X skill would remove X skill. although adding stats quickly they're easy to skip.
^^^ This.

If not an outright warning, there should atleast be a better description of the various scenarios where adding one skill/ability will remove or prevent another. It's something the main UO wiki could do a bit better.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They need to fix the AI of the pets containing certain skills.
The casting "skills" the pet has don't matter. The only way it will cast spells is if it has the appropriate spellcasting "magical ability". So even though your pet has the skill, it can't cast because it doesn't have the ability, because it was replaced by poisoning. GM won't fix it, just have to tame another one unless you have 100 skill points left. :(

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disagree. If they intended this to be like imbuing then no we shouldn't have a way to start over. It's a little more costly than imbuing but it is depleting the supply of powerscrolls that have been hoarded since AOS and breathing new life into spawns while creating a neat little gold sink.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Disagree. If they intended this to be like imbuing then no we shouldn't have a way to start over. It's a little more costly than imbuing but it is depleting the supply of powerscrolls that have been hoarded since AOS and breathing new life into spawns while creating a neat little gold sink.
If I imbue hit fire area on my weapon when I mean to imbue hit cold area, or repond slayer when I meant to imbue reptile, I can go and reimbue the weapon with the right property and it will replace the wrong one, without costing more imbuing weight.
This is not what is happening when someone pick a magical ability and it replaces another magical ability here.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The page Animal Training says:
Selecting a new school of magic is not to be considered lightly, it will remove any innate magical ability the pet may have. You may only select a total of Three options from 5 possibilities over these four categories:

• 1 magical ability
  • 1 special ability
  • 2 special moves
  • 1 area effect
The page Pet Ownership says:
By use of the more advanced process, Animal Training, some pets can learn additional skills, but this can cause the loss of innate magical skills and should only be undertaken with care.
the publish notes say:

Pet training of magical abilities now allows the removal of all existing magical abilities on a pet instead of just removing Magery.
The INFO button on the pet training options documentation and the pages of the quest log also give a warning:
Note: Training these creatures in other Magics will remove any innate magic ability

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

the publish notes say:

The INFO button on the pet training options documentation and the pages of the quest log also give a warning:
Note: Training these creatures in other Magics will remove any innate magic ability

The probem is: An average person does not think poison is a magic ability.

There are many people who have time for one pet to upgrade. And they are the ones messing up. The people like me who have trained 20+ pets have already ruined pets and moved along.

Also 120 scrolls now go for 35M for any of the ones used with pets. So people are ruining pets they spent >100M on.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But - It is listed in the 'magical abilities' list, and the notes say quite clearly you may only add ONE magical ability.

I read the notes and reached the conclusion that the magical abilities list should be avoided for any magic casting pet, and only options from the other lists should be chosen.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
And it wouldn't be difficult at all adding to the gump a message that says "Adding [magical ability 1] will remove [other magical abilities]. Do you wish to proceed?".
That would have spared a lot of people a lot of headache.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But - It is listed in the 'magical abilities' list, and the notes say quite clearly you may only add ONE magical ability
I have talked people thru adjusting their pets in game. I have said set HP to 800. I see sparkles and lore it. They set the HP to 1305. Some people are reading the menus wrong. Not everybody has done imbuing.

They don't even know they did it wrong afterwards, they are not used to reading the lore menus.

Now I am telling people to set stamina to some random value first. So I can see if they can operate the menu correctly.

"I told you so" doesn't fix the issue.

Turbo

Adventurer
People just need to read stuff before adding it. Some stuff has every detail of info you need to understand whats happening or what the skill does and theres always someone who must skim read without understanding or skip it completely in a rush to add it. If you dont know how it works click the info button and read it several times before proceding.

As it was stated above, its not what you think is or is not a magic ability, its everything listed when you click the magic abilities button. Its not rocket science.

Im sure everyone has made mistakes on their pets. Tame another and try again and learn from it. The ps cost make it an expensive lesson.

Last edited:

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It should not be difficult to add a

"Adding this skill will Remove it's current magical ability "X" Are you sure you wish to proceed"

Kind of like the warning on Self repairing.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If folks did not read/comprehend the other warnings that have been pointed out they will probably do the same on another warning.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

the publish notes say:

Biggest problem is it is just super complicated. I have yet to actually 'train' a real pet as until I can test it out on TC at max skill I am not scrolling anything. It is not intuative, and you don't get to pick
  • 1 magical ability
  • 1 special ability
  • 2 special moves
  • 1 area effect

Sure on some pets you may, but on others you can't. Ie dimetrosaurs, a 3 level pet, fresh tamed you can't put on ANYTHING. You do not get to select ANYTHING to add, and the only magical ability you get to 'select' is poisoning, but if you select it nothing happens as the pet already has it so it won't even go onto the plan. The fresh tamed lore and knowledge show poison breath, dismount and mortal strike, these you cannot add to or remove.

Others you put on poisoning, and then train, and the next level train you get to select venomous bite, which doesn't appear til AFTER you add poisoning then train, however, don't to it on a hiryu and expect the same result, as on one of those you put poisoning on you don't get the venomous bite option. Which other pets this applies to, who knows.

You can only add ONE special move to a cu, not two, etc, etc, etc

It seems all pets are different and the ONLY way to actually ensure you don't muck it up is do it on the test centre as even following the 'written' guides you can still muck it up as unless there is a guide for each type of pet and what can and can't be put on and in what order you need to do it you are still gonna come a cropper on it.

As others have said, there should be a warning 'adding abc will remove xyz do you wish to proceed etc. I have spent hours now on the test centre on a character I don't intend to use cause if you play siege you can't 'character' copy your char and stable over so it is pretty hit and miss and best guestimate using pets from another tamers stable etc.

It would be handy if the lore gump only showed the skills a pet actually HAS rather than all of them irrespective of whether the critter acatually has them or not. If the pet doesn't have necromancy, spellweaving, mysticism etc it shouldn't be on the gump at all etc. That is just super confusing.

It would of helped if the 'plan' had included stage one, two, three etc as in some cases you get different options once phase one is done, ie on a hiryu, if you want armor ignore you need to do it in phase one if you intend to put on bushido, or you 'miss out' on it as once bushido is on you auto get 'frenzied whirlwind' so if you do that first it 'uses' up the special ability and you can't select armor ingore second etc. Doing it 'first' means you end up with Armor ignore, bushido and frezied whirlwind, as well as couple other 'starting' abilities. If the 'plan' was in phases and you could see beforehand what the effect on 'selections' would be in phase 2 etc it would of made it easier to fully plan out your pet before wasting scrolls etc.

However the fact we actually have the plan we do is better than the original set up on TC where you didn't even have that.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bushido adds Whirlwind, not Frenzied Whirlwind - also hiryus already have Dismount and Grasping Claw, which count towards the cap of what you may add.