• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mysticism] Mystic Weapon Mastery

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Has anyone used this and can comment on what it does specifically?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
That is less specific than, and in contradiction to, the uo.com wiki.

Here's what the UO wiki says: "Mystic Weapon – The mystic converts mysticism skill into an equipped weapon’s required skill for a penalty to mysticism skill based on mastery level"
Based on the literal meaning of the official wiki that would lead me to believe that if I have 120 mystic, and enable the mastery while holding a sword, I would end up with 0 mystic and 110 or something swords.
What you suggest is that activating the mastery behaves more like the mage weapon property.
These are two vastly different meanings. In particular, one lets the mystic master still use a RC and the other does not.
Can you confirm which is the correct interpretation, and perhaps what the penalty is?

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At 120 Mystic (real skill) and level III mystic primer I tested this.

I equipped a Legacy of Dread Lord to test. Turning on the mastery it lowered my skill to 115 mystic and the weapon itself says "mystic Weapon -5 skill

*note, 120 focus did not change anything whether I had it on or stoned it off.

The nice thing about this is you could make a fully custom weapon or use an artifact.

Bad thing is it is on a timer about 10 minutes AND if you get disarmed or switch over to use a spell
book briefly you must recast it.

*edit: actually adding the 120 focus only changed the timer. 585 seconds with no 120 focus and 900 seconds with 120 focus. still same neg 5 to mystic skill.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Very cool.

Does it consume mana/stam anything while active, or just a toggle?

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
It's just timed, to be honest it isn't all that great since when (not if) you get disarmed in PVP it's pretty much over for you because you need to re-equip AND recast every time. Nobody is going to stand there and let you do that in a serious fight.

Ethereal blast is underwhelming and pointless even at level 3. The devs were too busy making shield bash do more damage than flame strike (they had to nerf it on TC, and it's still amazing) to bother making mysticism useful.

Even if PVM is mostly your thing, you'll never hold on to a fel champ spawn with mystic mastery. Same thing with Mage mastery for that matter, but at least with Mage mastery you can pull a full double mana dump on someone without stopping.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMHO, given a choice Spellweaving is the best caster mastery for pvm.
Focus buff, mana shield, reaper summons..........nice.

But if your caster char doesn't have Spellweaving I think
Mystic mastery instead of Magery would be better.

Using a custom weapon without needing mage wep property on the wep
is nice in some situations.

Have not seen a use for Magery mastery in pvm
other than the inherent summons buff you can get from other casting masteries.

Of course then if you don't have Mystic either, you can try a necro mage (which
I have heard good things about with the masteries) or a tamer (some day that mastery III will be affordable) Or the original Masters, Bards.