• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mystic/Thrower/Bushido Template

• Thread starter Paperninja
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
P

Paperninja

I just got back in to UO from a 7 year break. I played from 98 - 03. I decided to make a Gargoyle character since I had bought the Abyss expansion and thought the gargoyle style (weapons/looks) was cool.

My original idea was to make a melee/mystic gargoyle looking at -
(I don't have 720 skill cap yet, account was aged incorrectly and only shows 7 months, after I do have it I'll probably bump the 110s to 120)
120 Fencing
110 Bushido
110 Parry
100 Tactics
100 Mysticism
100 Focus
60 Chivalry

Was going to use bushido, healing wind, chivalry, and Healing Stone for healing/curing. It was a decent template, but one of my guild members suggested that I make an archer since they're safer to play.

So I thought I'd just substitute Fencing for Throwing but I ran into some problems.

1) You can not parry with a throwing weapon (I don't think evade works either)
2) Throwing doesn't count as a Weapon Skill for "Use Best Weapon" properties.

So back to the drawing board. I decided to drop parry. This is what I ended up with -
120 Throwing
110 Bushido
100 Focus
100 Mysticism
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
70 Chivalry

I like it. Throw up honor, enemy of one, play the ranged game with lightning strike. You can use a fast boomerang (2.0) with Enchant Weapon (A 54% chance of spell, choose damage type). Once you attain perfection the damage is amazing. For heals you can use Confidence + Healing stone while on the move. As a gargoyle you have a built in mount which wouldn't matter for veteran players with mount rewards, but for a new player (or one with a broken account age) it's huge.

Big thanks to my guild on Catskills (D|P) that supported me and really helped me get my feet back on the ground.

So what you guys think? Any suggestions? I guess I came here looking for advice from the grizzled veterans on the forums.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back then! A couple of us in the United Pirates of Catskills also have recently dipped our feet into the mysticism pool. Quite frankly, we're very impressed.

My template is as follows:
120 swords
110 parry
110 mysticism
110 bushido
110 focus
100 tactics
60 meditation

I'm not too concerned at this point about 120's.

But anyway, here's my advice:
Think seriously about going to 110 mysticism at least, and 120 is even better.
At 108 mysticism, you can cast spell plague 100% of the time, which is an amazing bonus in every aspect of UO, and you only get reliable rising colossus closer to 120 mysticism. The colossus will change your life until it's nerfed, I'm positive!

Anyhow, the template is a good one. With the bushido/parry/swords variety, I have little trouble with battles even my vampire-samurai will flinch at. The only downside is that the kills are slower than the straight-laced ABC archer or samurai, since mysticism spells take time to cast.

P

Paperninja

The RC is amazing. You really think it'll get nerfed? It takes up 5 slots so you can't have 2 up (unlike EV) and does a ton of damage. I'll be sad if it gets nerfed. I enjoy watching it steam roll mini-champ spawn.

Right now my strategy is RC, Honor, consecrate weapon, and lightning strike with throwing weapon. If I get something on me, instead of running I just use Momentum Strike. I usually carry a Healing Stone and a backup in spell stone just in case. For big fights I'll throw in Enemy of One.

Last night I was playing around with Stone Form. I really like the poison immunity and increase defenses, but the lack of mobility concerns me somewhat. I'll have to play around with it some more.

At 110 Throwing (going to 120) I don't really seem to miss any more in melee than I do in close range, which has been a nice change since I didn't have room for swords on my template.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget Gargs get a 50% cap on HCI, so with the right imbued jewel set, weapon, and tali or armor piece you can have almost LS ability and save the Bushido skill points. When the new Pub dropped the Swords requirement, I added Focus 110 in its place, and make use of the point free "Garg JOAT" 30% mysticism.

Since the shield hand remains free, I was going to add GM Alchie, but instead settled for an Imbued EP +50 ring. Can max out dex, str, and Heal/cure with pots almost continuously...

J

[JD]

I wasn't sure what the OP meant by "Archers are more reliable"??

Gargoyles get 62 or 63 resist points on horned & barbed - you can make a 70s suit pretty much with practically no resist imbues, leaving room for other good stuff

Throwing has the highest DPS 1-handed weapon in the game (48 DPS soul glaive, one hand free to pot)

RC up at the same time + that melee damage would be sick. Would outdamage any archer any day.

A downside is no whirlwind weapon. Closest you can come is bushido momentum strike. But with Hit Area weapons it might be moot as they will still dish out a lot of overall dmg, just not as much as a legit whirlwind weap with HML, HSL, SSI, Hit Area

Some fun things in a mystic thrower's repitoir. I already have a Mystic Mage so Not sure I wanna level that Mysticism all over again lol.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So back to the drawing board. I decided to drop parry. This is what I ended up with -
120 Throwing
110 Bushido
100 Focus
100 Mysticism
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
70 Chivalry
I have this same setup, but instead of Bushido, I have Magery. Great Template, very fun. I went Magery for invis and a few others, since Mystic spells take LRC too.