• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mysticism] Mystic Mage Survival in PvP

V

Vertex

I used to play a Bokuto Mage, which excelled both at offense and defense.

The defense part is simply due to 120 Bushido Confidence heals while on the run.

I've recently created a new Mystic Mage, and I'm finding it harder to survive or run away from ganks than my Bokuto Mage.

My current template is:

120 Mysticism
120 Focus
120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Resist
120 Ninjitsu

(Mage Weapon, etc. for weapon defense)

The 120 Ninjitsu is really for dismount survival and shurikens, but I haven't been using it much at all.

I would like to trade the 120 Ninjitsu for a skill that give me more survivability.

I've been toying with the idea of swapping in 120 Bushido, but it seems like 120 skill points just for Confidence heals may not give me the best bang for the buck.

I'd like to hear any suggestions anyone may have -- thanks!

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 parry would give you survivability at the cost of having to arm/disarm shield or magewep when wanting to chug.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Both are sort of a support character nowadays

Bokuto mage is not good at defense honestly as 1 dismount from the gank can probably send you to death

Mysticism mage is a well balanced and supportive character. I really don't see a problem with the template you got right now. Just make sure you stack enough DCI and 40 or 50 ep on your suit will be good.

Having parrying and no wrestling is a waste of time. So don't bother.

Parrying = 35% to block
Wrestle (20) assuming you are human = around 95% to get attacked.

Average = you still get hit by 60+ % every shot.

So, it is better off you use wrestling than use parrying.

Of course out of the 3 skills:-

parrying, ninja, wrestle; I will still consider ninja.

Unless you tell me no one in your shard do dismount at all, then i will consider using wrestling.

Many people misunderstand that, gave dismounted = need to run... this is totally wrong. As while you're running, you already wasted the time to heal yourself or disrupt you opponent's mage casting.

My suggestion is get used to a new level playstyle as according to your template you got right now.

For example, gave dismount = see situation yourself:-

1 person dismount you, other enemies not on the same screen = run opposite direction and chug pot and mirror image at the same time

1 person dismount you, other enemies on the same screen = use conflag potion on self, use faction explode potion near opponents mage (while they are casting the big spells), use mirror image, chug potion and use in mani or in vas mani.... Get ready with the enchanted apple and have the faction bandage timer running (remove curse one)...

Yea a lot of keys, but nowadays unless enemies could kill me in 2 seconds, otherwise never i will die by dismount anymore.

Moreover, I am just using trash suit and no invisible items/teleport items as well.. with those, i dont think i will ever die at all.

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GM Inscription(+10% SDI) or Alchemy(30% EP) both is cumulative with the 15%(pvp) SDI cap and 50% EP cap from equipment.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The defense part is simply due to 120 Bushido Confidence heals while on the run.

I've recently created a new Mystic Mage, and I'm finding it harder to survive or run away from ganks than my Bokuto Mage.

My current template is:

120 Mysticism
120 Focus
120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Resist
120 Ninjitsu

The 120 Ninjitsu is really for dismount survival and shurikens, but I haven't been using it much at all.

I would like to trade the 120 Ninjitsu for a skill that give me more survivability.

I've been toying with the idea of swapping in 120 Bushido, but it seems like 120 skill points just for Confidence heals may not give me the best bang for the buck.

Could you describe your pvp environment? each shard is a bit different on this aspect.

Also your gear plays an important part.

I run the same template, but currently with wrestling. I found it quite useful.

DCI

13 ring
13 bracelet
15 folded steel glasses
15 sc cleaver
15 shield

Much depends on the current environment as far as held items. I have all 70's and pretty much healing stones, mini heals and g heals keep me alive.

J

[JD]

im thinking of making a garg with:

120 mystic
120 focus
120 magery
120 eval
120 med
120 resist

(the 120 med is optional, ill see how my mana regen is, i may be able to do something else here like weaving)

i may just go with faction orny/crystalline ring for the skill bonuses and fc/fcr...

ill run with as much dci as possible and a gheal mage wand.

is this viable in pvp? my home server is filled mainly with archers, stealth archers, and a handful of mages.

thanks

G

Gelf

My current template is:

120 Mysticism
120 Focus
120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Resist
120 Ninjitsu

that looks like a good template for killing other mystic mages, though if ur looking for another skill instead, u may want to try SW(attunement,gift of renewal to help with healing & thunderstorm, essence of wind are also nice)

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im thinking of making a garg with:

120 mystic
120 focus
120 magery
120 eval
120 med
120 resist

(the 120 med is optional, ill see how my mana regen is, i may be able to do something else here like weaving)

i may just go with faction orny/crystalline ring for the skill bonuses and fc/fcr...

ill run with as much dci as possible and a gheal mage wand.

is this viable in pvp? my home server is filled mainly with archers, stealth archers, and a handful of mages.

thanks

Yes this is viable in pvp. However, it will really depends on your pvp environment. If you're saying you have no friends and only do 1-2 v 5, you probably will bite the dirt more than you kill people

However, if you're saying that in a normal 5 v 5 fights, this template will be great in small area battle. Because you'll be the main support character in your team which greatly can turn the tide of the battle in most situations.

However, when come to an open area field fights, you probably cannot utilize as effectively due to the casting time required while chasing other GM runners in an open field.

If you're saying that your shard is filled with archers, stealth archers etc... I am assuming you will get dismounted quite frequently.

I will try with following template:-

120 mystic
120 focus
120 magery
120 eval
120 ninja
120 resist

Hope that helps.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that looks like a good template for killing other mystic mages, though if ur looking for another skill instead, u may want to try SW(attunement,gift of renewal to help with healing & thunderstorm, essence of wind are also nice)
If in a 5 v 5 pvp situations and small area fights, thunderstorm, essence of wind are nice to use. However, this must be depending on your opponents skills.

Before every battle, you must know what your opponents are using. Because every type of templates have its own pros and cons in it.

Say if your opponents are using 120 resists flat for all 5 people. Having thunderstorm or essence of wind provide no benefit at all because they're just gonna resist the recovery and fc penalties. Moreover, the time to cast those 2 spells at fc 2 is much slower compare that to fc 4.

Attunement and Gift of renewal can already be used at 0 skill (for human) which is useful enough already for temporaily battle fights/rush.

J

[JD]

i am going to go on the record and say that ninja is almost a necessity..

my garg mystic got owned pretty badly the other day from one dismount. i even managed to stay alive long enough to hit my 'fly' key again and got dismounted a 2nd or 3rd time. super annoying! had i been able to keep horse speed while using heal potion it might have been another story.

additionally you can also think about JOAT bandages or anat+healing for mage survivability- just cause melees use bandages doesnt mean your mage shouldn't. esp if you have 100 anat anyway for your defensive wrestle

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i am going to go on the record and say that ninja is almost a necessity..

my garg mystic got owned pretty badly the other day from one dismount. i even managed to stay alive long enough to hit my 'fly' key again and got dismounted a 2nd or 3rd time. super annoying! had i been able to keep horse speed while using heal potion it might have been another story.

additionally you can also think about JOAT bandages or anat+healing for mage survivability- just cause melees use bandages doesnt mean your mage shouldn't. esp if you have 100 anat anyway for your defensive wrestle
Dismount is bane to most everyone, but lets say in that situation and you had ninja, you would of still been popped out of say wolf form.

There are 3 aspects that need to be addressed when dismounted

1. To heal/Cure
2. Not to get disrupted
3. To get remounted

So those need to be addressed some how. Not getting disrupted while casting and or remounting can be tricky. So even if you have protection on any hit from weapon or spell will disrupt the remount.

The best solution I can think of is a uoa wall of stone macro. You have to block line of site from archers and other mages.

So you can make a wall of stone macro with a remount with an ethy. 4 walls overall. North south east west. So lets say you get dismounted. You would want to position yourself between the first wall casted and the enemy.

J

[JD]

Dismount is bane to most everyone, but lets say in that situation and you had ninja, you would of still been popped out of say wolf form.

There are 3 aspects that need to be addressed when dismounted

1. To heal/Cure
2. Not to get disrupted
3. To get remounted

So those need to be addressed some how. Not getting disrupted while casting and or remounting can be tricky. So even if you have protection on any hit from weapon or spell will disrupt the remount.

The best solution I can think of is a uoa wall of stone macro. You have to block line of site from archers and other mages.

So you can make a wall of stone macro with a remount with an ethy. 4 walls overall. North south east west. So lets say you get dismounted. You would want to position yourself between the first wall casted and the enemy.
Gargoyles take a second or so to "stop" and "begin flying" (similar to summoning charger of the fallen), which proves problematic when someone is chasing you...

Assuming 1v1 if I get dismounted, it means the person chasing me is also on foot.

And because they’re on foot and not animal formed they may use weapon specials - moving shot - to continue to hit me while chasing.

If I animal form and speed up to get away, they have two choices:

1) Try to dismount again.
2) Animal form to chase me.

If they chose to try to dismount again, they have to be STOPPED and I’ll be running at horse speed. There’s a chance I’ll be out of their range sooner than they can get the shot off. And if that isn’t enough, I’ll have mirror images to absorb an incoming dismount. If I am dismounted, I’m still farther away from them than we began, and I can just do it a second time until I’m finally off their screen and can heal/invis+hit "fly"/etc.

If they choose to animal form to chase me, they can’t attack me with their bow while moving. About all they can do is use ninja stars/wands/potions, and I’ll have potions, gheal wand, and healing stone myself.

Theoretically it sounds like it’s completely up to me if I live or die. If I make no mistakes and make counters, I live. If I make mistakes, lag, or fail to use what is at my disposal, I die.

When it happened to me it was the first time I had been on my mage in months. I was more used to playing my archer and wasn’t mentally “ready” to counter much of anything.

I’ll run with Ninjitsu for a while to see how well it works for me.

Wall of stone is an interesting idea tho. I haven't really gotten into fielding much but it seems very popular, both for kills and for defense.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually no.

By the time you casted 4 wall of stones, you probably be lying dead on the ground.

1 wall of stone takes 1 second to cast

1 In Mani takes 0.5 second to cast

If you are to cast 4 wall of stones to block yourself, you'll need 4 seconds, which is impossible while 5 archers are popping mortal wounds, para blows, armor ignores/moving shots on you (when you're on foot).

The only way to face dismount and under 1 v 5 (archers) situation is to have the right template (assume mage):-

1. You gotta have 120 parry, 120 wrestle (or 120 evalint + 100 anatomy)

2. You gotta have 120 parry, 120 bushido (50 weap skill + mage weap -20)

1st template, you can pray to god that your shield, DCI and mirror images can last long enough for 5 seconds before you llama form out

or you can pray to god that your bandage can heal through before they mortal wound your butt (assuming you take anatomy trend)

2nd template, you can use evasion to increase the chance to about 50% to block (but you have to pray that no one can disarm your weapon during the process; otherwise you will be dead also).

Anyways, give dismount by 1 archer is nothing, it is easily not to die. Just stand still and time your heals and you're set. Or you could actually go into offense too. (Like I mention all the time, NEVER chicken when you get dismounted. The more you go in panic mode, the easier you die)

If you get dismount whilst a group of people are wooping your butt at the same time, the only solutions are the following:-

(if opponents have mages/necros/mystcisim)

1. use faction explosion potions to disrupt their big spells
2. use conflag potions on self
3. mirror images at all cost
4. chug potions + use faction bandage
5. eat apples
6. 5 seconds passed and you'll use your llama form to out

Of course it wont work, if your timing screws up or your opponents are just too lucky that their arrows never missed your 70 DCI and 120 parry

Again, getting dismounted is very common on my shard and probably in several different shards.

But the key point is, never panic when you get dismounted. Usually panic and start running will end up biting dirt in the end.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For mystic mage getting dismounted, I usually do sleep followed by invis if its 1 attacker.

If its multiple then teleport and wall.

R

ReaperNI

never really played a garg but why couldnt you just invis and get back with either a ethy (human/elf) or flying (garg) it should sure take a few seconds for them to figure out a way and where to reveal you. TYR

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
never really played a garg but why couldnt you just invis and get back with either a ethy (human/elf) or flying (garg) it should sure take a few seconds for them to figure out a way and where to reveal you. TYR
Erm.. conflags, poison strike, EQ, meteor swarm, super nova, thunderstorm. If it takes more than 3 seconds to reveal someone who invisd then they're doin it wrong.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thunderstorm is great for it, even with JOAT. Just try to get a lvl 6 to extend the radius.

But a solid stealther will get away if they really wanted to.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For mystic mage getting dismounted, I usually do sleep followed by invis if its 1 attacker.

If its multiple then teleport and wall.
the inability to not teleport X amount of tiles around a housing structure is pretty lame. can that ever be changed?

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
4xwall remount works for me.
You can't do 4x walls like that whilst 5+ archers/mages are popping arrows/spells at you.

If you're talking about 1 person dismounted you or 2 person dismounted you, even you dont cast wall of stones to remount, you still wouldn't have trouble surviving.

As for going invisible to remount, this also wouldnt work as if you are playing in Asia shard like Asuka, Mizuho, Formosa, etc.. you'd be revealed by people in 1 second after you invisible. This is the reason why people in these shards seem to carry lots of invisible items for this cause. But still it wont help sometimes when too many are on their butt.

The easiest to reveal people is the faction potion where you purchase for 100 silvers. Good use of this can usually turn the tide of some pvp environment.

Conflag is also a very good helper in pvp. If timed all these well, people who run past the conflag field can actually be instant death by you.

Again as mentioned, 50 EP is REALLY REALLY important. No matter what, have 1 free hand to chug potion is 100% guaranteed better off.

Some spells such as Meteor swarm, chain lighting also can reveal and have its advantage VS stealther (after tracked) sometimes