• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My client/screen flashes

Dedonarrival

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried using both clients and have the same issue...the screen flashes. This only happens when I am running UO. I have updated my graphics card and this has not solved the problem...anyone have any suggestions?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Constant flashing? Random flashing?

Describe the flashing and what you can think of its timing?

O

Old Man of UO

it's a constant flash that occurs in 10 second intervals (actually timed it)
Try enabling or disabling v-sync. What is your frame rate set at? Are you using a CRT monitor or LCD? You can get these odd screen refreshes if v-sync is enabled and your game frame rates and monitor refresh rates are the same or exact multiples.

If using an LCD, the monitor has a default refresh rate of 60 Hz, and you should set your game frame rate to either 30 or 60 Hz (the faster the better, but a low end video card should be set to 30).

CRT monitors can have a wide range of refresh rates. If using v-sync to make it look better, try 40/80 (40 Hz game frame rate, 80 Hz monitor refresh rate if you monitor allows) or else 60/60.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does the screen flash happen only in full screen mode?

Try it out in windowed mode to let us know. If it's doing it in windowed mode, it has to be something else entirely.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it the whole screen, or just the UO window that flashes?

Dedonarrival

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whole screen flashes. it's as if it's switching programs even if nothing else is open in the background, by that i mean UO is no longer the primary window selected. if I shrink UO and open a web browser it does the same thing where the browser is not selected. but this only happens when I have a game open.

using a ATI Radeon 3870 graphics card with up to date drivers

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vista, or XP?

Do you mean that it's actually taking focus away from UO, or it just looks like it does? If you're typing into UO, does it cut you off every 10 seconds?

Try installing some alternate drivers. They're not official, but I've had good experiences with them solving random issues. Read through the instructions first, and don't follow through if it seems to be beyond your comfort level.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/
http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati.php

Dedonarrival

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
XP

Yes cuts me off every 10 seconds, and it actually takes focus away from UO. Goes from a dark blue header bar to a faded/light blue header bar when it happens

O

Old Man of UO

Is this related to UO Assist (and other 3rd party programs) taking focus away from the UO client?

Dedonarrival

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have UO Assist but even if I don't use it something still steals focus.

Tried the Tweak UI work around but it was already selected. running another virus scan to make sure it's not a virus. scan from the 25th showed nothing & i can't remember when I 1st noticed this issue

O

Old Man of UO

... scan from the 25th showed nothing & i can't remember when I 1st noticed this issue
I've seen other posts with similar problems running UO Assist, which seemed to have started after the last patch. If so, I would expect a patch in the near future.