• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Most Worthless Mods for weapons!!!!

G

Was burning a few copper hammers when I saw a katana I had made and it had Mage weapon -23, DI 40, Cold resist 12, and Poison resist 14. WTH does a weapon need resist for? Can we get enough angry smiths to say enough already? Stop wasting my Mods on worthless mods? I dont mean to rant here.

Are these Mods really what smiths want on their weapons? I am just waiting to see a sword with more than 30 resist on it!!!! Do mages really need to hold weapons while they are casting spells? I mean if it doesnt have SC on it then its completely useless as a mage weapon. Lets open up a this up to debate on which mods should be in game and which should be removed!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
while for the most part i agree with you there are some people who like the resist mods my archer for one has 14 poison resist on his bow and this finishes off his 70 suit when equipped. for some hci is wasted on weapons as with my Bushido fighter he has 50 plus on him without his weapon and if you throw in ls from Bushido I'm way over max and put df on that he doesn't need hci but i have it anyway so i guess its all in how you have your character laid out i would gladly trade my poison resist for slayer mod or for ssi

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love it if all resists and lower requirements were removed from weapons.

I also wish they would get around to putting HCI back on shields.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure. There are some properties that appear to be a waste, but my SC weapons sell pretty well. If you get Mage Weapon and SC, they sell really well!!

Regardless, I'd rank the properties in this order (not including DI, which is a given on all crafted weapons:

1) Hit Magic Spell (except Hit Dispel. Hit Lightning and Fireball are the best)
1a) For PvMers' a super Slayer is at the top of the list
2) Hit Mana Leech
3) Hit Lower Defense
4) Hit Stamina Leech
5) SSI (I rank it this low because it only helps if the weapon can't already be swung at 1.25, but it's more important on slower high-damage weapons)
6) Hit Chance Increase
7) Hit Lower Attack
8) Defense Chance Increase
9) Hit Life Leech
10) Hit Area

Now the least desirable:
1) Lower Requirements (completely useless for advanced fighters)
2) Resists
3) Damage Spread (except 100% damage weapons)
4) Use Best Weapon Skill
5) Mage Weapon
6) Luck (unless you PvM or 140 Luck, which is very sellable)
7) Spell Channelling
8) Faster Casting
9) Non-Super Slayer

I don't make bows, but I think "Balanced" might be at the top; followed closely by SSI, since most bows fire much slower than handheld weapons.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's a few changes I'd like to see.

1. make resists one property, that can't be rolled multiple times. For example, if you get resists as a property, it rolls for which one, then the intensity, then can't be gotten again.

2. Make FC 1, SC and Mage weapon one property, in different intensities.
Intensity level 1 (01-70) would be Fast cast 1. Intensity level 2 (71-96%) would be Spell channeling with no FC penalty, as one property. SC no pen with mage weapon would be 1 property, only occuring at 97-100% rank in intensity. if ability to go over intensity ever added to runics, each point of intensity over 100% would lower the bottom end of the MW penalty by one (a 120% intensity item with this property, say from an event, would have a random range of Mage Weapon -9 to 0)

3. Add toggles for hit abilities. Click on the weapon, and you get a gump like the one for ore/ore & stone for mining tools. The gump will allow you to turn on or turn off "hit area" processes, "hit spell" processes, and Mage weapon (force default to real weapon skill, and not suffer the magery penalty). The properties would still display, but with an "OFF" tag. They would default as "ON" (but "ON" would not be displayed)

4. If a SMITH-CRAFTED weapon has 3 or more properties, one will ALWAYS be Damage increase, defaulting to the smith's Exceptional crafting level (if the weapon is not exceptional; replacing any bonus from recipe & material as well), or to a +1 to +15 bonus applied to the Exceptional & other bonuses, for exceptionally crafted items. This will minimize the loss of otherwise good weapons to failure to craft exceptional, while insuring that the reduction of possible properties isn't made too overpowering.

5. Durability will remain, but with one intensity - you get durability increase, the item is automatically 255 durability.

6. Self-repair remains, but gets hit by a nerf stick. Self-repair will have a 15% base chance, -1 per every 10 points in its related crafting skill & -1 for every point of self repair, to cause the armor to lose one durability every time self-repair kicks in. So, in the hands of a normal warrior, self-repair 5 item will have a 10% chance losing a durability point on a self repair. However, the same weapon in the hands of a GM smith/warrior would not lose durability. This helps balance the desire to keep an active smith's market with the convenience of the property. (The same effect would apply to armor, and to all other skills and their related battle equipment)

7. For items that aren't naturally-medable leather (smith weapons & armor, bows, carpenter weapons & armor, Studded, hide & bone armor) Lower requirements becomes 100% intensity automatically when rolled.

8. Add more types of hit spells, or charge-based powers. The charge based powers would be things like immolating weapon, poison strike, etc. that aren't similar to existing hit spell properties. Non-duration effects would reduce weapon damage the way current hit spells do. Being charge based (And reloadable with switches), with a 60 second timer, would prevent their overuse.

9. Add the ability to choose one mod category specifically, at the loss of an additional Mod. For example, using a bronze hammer, which has 3 properties, you could choose to have all weapons you make with it have "slayer", but you will only get one other runic property on the weapon as a result. This would most likely be utilized on the highest hammers only.

10. Add some of the armor & jewelry bonuses as a rare (1% or less) chance of occurring on a weapon, like a skill bonus, regen, stat increase, etc. These can't be chosen as in 9. above, but will make some more distinctive pieces.

With these changes, one could nerf the hammers back down a little bit for crafting (about half the way from their current basement intensities, back toward their original basement - leave te upper end still at 100%) while not overly nerfing item output at all (these changes would more than compensate)

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tell me about it i used up an agapite hammer and i got 15 that were mage weps, most of them were sc, -1 fc. not one was sc with no -1 fc.

i was expecting better weapons then i got.

i get better weps from bronze hammers.