• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

most viable templates these days

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi all!

So thanks to the RtB month I am back and took a look around on my old home shard...

Haven't met too many people but I guess most are hidden or in stealthmode.

Many things seem unfamiliar to me e.g. VvV, the loot system, some of the quests etc.

I was wondering what todays most favoured templates are for PvP and PvM.

Last I know PvM was dominated by Sampires and tamers.

PvP had bushido archers, ninjas and stealth-tamers as the most powerful templates if I remember correctly...

Is that still true? What are todays good PvP/PvM/alround templates?
Do crafters have to be gargoyles in order to imbue and unravel things successfully?

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back Max!

I'm certainly no authority on what constitutes a good PvP template as I sucked regardless of which template I've used over the years. The VvV system seems to accommodate almost any template though. And participation in VvV seems to be picking up as more people warm up to it. I came back a little more than a month ago and decided to escape my comfort zone (nox-necro-dexxer) and am working RoT on a pure thief. I also opened a second account and am working a mage-tamer.. the latter is completely new to me as I've never played a mage (with the exception of gating purposes) or a tamer. So that toon should be an easy kill for quite some time. XD

Regardless of which route you go, I hope you'll stick around after RTB!

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I roll this:

120 myst
100 focus
120 resists
120 mage
120 eval
100 scribe
40 focus

suit must have: +20/15 mage, and +20 focus.

Then use a mageweap -20/15

BluDjinn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The last publish made having luck important again.

So I would say go Leprechaun.
Everyone knows leprechauns are lucky!

But unfortunately only one is allowed per shard, and Siege already has a fine, red headed champion in green.

I guess a cat would be next best, as you can't have too many cats.

The most important thing is to pick a template YOU enjoy playing.

Oh, btw gargoyles make good craftsmen because of the imbuing bonus.

But they make poor gathers because they don't get the elf luck or human strong back bonus.
Also they can't wear the +5 mining gloves, or ride blue or fire beetles.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all!

So thanks to the RtB month I am back and took a look around on my old home shard...

Haven't met too many people but I guess most are hidden or in stealthmode.

Many things seem unfamiliar to me e.g. VvV, the loot system, some of the quests etc.

I was wondering what todays most favoured templates are for PvP and PvM.

Last I know PvM was dominated by Sampires and tamers.

PvP had bushido archers, ninjas and stealth-tamers as the most powerful templates if I remember correctly...

Is that still true? What are todays good PvP/PvM/alround templates?
Do crafters have to be gargoyles in order to imbue and unravel things successfully?
Hey Max...for me, I never stray too far from my thief roots. I've been messing around on the shard quite a bit. Unfortunately, it seems most players are in their homes or stealthing around.

Because of this, I figured I would grab a couple of un-used soul stones and start working on taming and animal lore (I've always enjoyed playing a tamer/thief). I think the old temps you were comfortable will still work...it may take a little time to find out what can be changed...but I would bet that will be after the October 31 cut off.

Not sure I'll come back, but what the hell, I'll give em til the 31st to make up my mind...la

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey Max...for me, I never stray too far from my thief roots. I've been messing around on the shard quite a bit. Unfortunately, it seems most players are in their homes or stealthing around.

Because of this, I figured I would grab a couple of un-used soul stones and start working on taming and animal lore (I've always enjoyed playing a tamer/thief). I think the old temps you were comfortable will still work...it may take a little time to find out what can be changed...but I would bet that will be after the October 31 cut off.

Not sure I'll come back, but what the hell, I'll give em til the 31st to make up my mind...la
I saw you in luna the other day. good to see so many familiar faces. to be honest I have to admit that I was surprised by the number of familiar faces in game... it still feels like home :)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw you in luna the other day. good to see so many familiar faces. to be honest I have to admit that I was surprised by the number of familiar faces in game... it still feels like home :)
:) You're absolutely right. No matter how many other shards or free servers I've played over the years, there is a certain comfort I get when logging into my Siege main account.

Even logging in the other day and the fact I really only spotted a few players, it just felt right. I guess I just need to see if I can actually make UO fit into my life with it's 13.99 a month price tag.

I'd love to see the price dropped but understand it's still a business...but gaming models have changed over the years and players are more than willing to pay to play...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even logging in the other day and the fact I really only spotted a few players, it just felt right. I guess I just need to see if I can actually make UO fit into my life with it's 13.99 a month price tag.

I'd love to see the price dropped but understand it's still a business...but gaming models have changed over the years and players are more than willing to pay to play...la
This has been exactly the reason that I have quit in the past. While I can afford to pay $13.99/month, I can't justify why I want to pay $13.99/month. Its mindblowing to me that EA, Mythic and Broadsword have never revisited the subscription model and made adjustments to appeal to modern gamers. Ironically, I pay no subscription in either GW2 or Neverwinter. But it is not uncommon for me to drop $200 or $300 on P2P services or items the games offer. Yet that $13.99/month gets under my skin. Go figure.

Anyways. I've decided to tough it out this time and concentrate on the game rather the subscription price. I'm hoping they'll eventually lower the monthly subscription to something more realistic for a 17 year old game such $7.99/month. And, then expand the uo.com store. Personally, I think Broadsword would be surprised how much money people would be willing to spend on fluff items when they aren't paying a subscription every month.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has been exactly the reason that I have quit in the past. While I can afford to pay $13.99/month, I can't justify why I want to pay $13.99/month.
Yeah, I have been playing around with Order and Chaos which is a free Iphone app, but they have items you can buy...I've dropped more than I should have, lol but not having to pay a subscription monthly makes it much easier...la