• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

*Most of us* would like a lot more Stable Slots...

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He is saying, "If you listened to me, you would understand me, if you understood me you would agree with me. You do not agree with me therefor you do not understand me, there fore you are not listening to me, else if you listened to me ....."
How dare I confuse the argument with facts. Name a negative aspect?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He is saying, "If you listened to me, you would understand me, if you understood me you would agree with me. You do not agree with me therefor you do not understand me, there fore you are not listening to me, else if you listened to me ....."
How dare I confuse the argument with facts. Name a negative aspect?
Ha ha, go seek your revenge for being proven .... wrong on everything you have asserted to know/be on others that will play your game of .... well it reminds me of this ....

"Parental Unit, Why is the Sky Blue? Why is the Grass Green? etc" :D

I do not really care what you type, my message was for .... well other .... hum ... posters :D

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More stable slots are no problem at all.

It's not like tamers will have more pets to control at one time, in fact the topic isn't even about control slots, it's about stable slots, which just means more they can stable.

There is no negative aspect of being able to stable more pets.

People who just hate tamers don't want them to have more of anything.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ha ha, go seek your revenge for being proven .... wrong on everything you have asserted to know/be on others that will play your game of .... well it reminds me of this ....

Carebears: "That doesn't have anything to do with it."
See the cycle? Yet you still name no negative aspects.

Yeah, I'm certainly wrong here.....

L

Lord Drakelord

two more slots :) hell I am happy that we got those two teeth! Now a question, are Gargoyles able to fly and control a greater dragon? I sure hope NOT. If so then they really need to look at the control slots on all pets and make some adjustments.
humm

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
two more slots :) hell I am happy that we got those two teeth! Now a question, are Gargoyles able to fly and control a greater dragon? I sure hope NOT. If so then they really need to look at the control slots on all pets and make some adjustments.
humm
We are kinda wondering about this on Siege as well...

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
humm
I sure as hell hope they wont be able to either. But it's a good thing no one is asking for more control slots :p

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
While I like most people love a good debate. Why are you all arguing?

I have not seen one EA post in here. So umm they dun give a poo.
and if they don't give a poo then it's not going to happen. If its
not going to happen then why are you all arguing. The team doesn't
care so you shouldn't care. Posting it on UHALL is useless.

1. People troll you
2. People for some reason have a hard time reading the first post
and just jump in on some random person wrong version of the first
post.
3. EA/Mythic dun care.
4. You have better luck sending it into them via email then ever trying
to get your point across here.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Sure they care. We are all getting two more stable slots. Take it run with it.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

1. People troll you
post.
3. EA/Mythic dun care.
True, however just because they don't care about commenting on it here doesn't mean it wont happen. It just means they don't care to comment here and will do what they want, whether or not our conversation here influences them or not.

R

riohnyx

1. People troll you
post.
3. EA/Mythic dun care.
Posting on UHall is one of the best ways to get several viewpoints on something so the devs can better decide what to and what not to implement. In fact, something that has a large response is probably more likely to get more attention, hence the reason people are raising the topic again again. :)

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once at guild camp I ran nakid through brit!

2 Slots this is wonderful news, my craftsmen thank thee.

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I believe Stable Slots always had caps. Originally Tamers had no CONTROL caps, so we could tame and control as many as we wished. But they wouldnt bond nor could we stable them all. Moreover, I mentioned the control caps in my post tho you didnt bother to quote that.

Please get your facts straight before running your mouth...er, fingers off with CAPS.
Actually, the original UO had no character based stable slot systems. Pets were stabled on the stable master NPC as part of a global system. To claim your pet you had to find the specific NPC that you had stabled the pet with. That became "interesting" when the NPC went walkabout. These NPCs also had a limited ability to stable pets so, at times all the stables were full and you had to wander from town to town looking for a place to put your pet up for the night.

Some tamers “farm” creatures looking for a pet with better stats, the losers being discarded with little remorse so stable slots are not an issue. That is their choice.

To me the stable slots present a problem due to the role that I play and the “sentimental” value of the pets I have. I still have the first dragon that I ever tamed over nine years ago. Many other of my pets took part in stories and adventures over the years. To turn these old and trusted friends out into the cold simply because some new and shiny creature has been added to the game is not in my nature. And, yes, that is my choice.

J

Jhym

Ok, my head hurts from reading all the screaming.

My 2@:

More stable slots OR alternative methods of storing pets in your house (ie stable "pods" or crystals) are not game changers for tamers only. They give you better options for fighting AND allow you to store "product" for later sale. They don't affect others -- even if the tamer has 4250 greater whathaveyous.

There are tamers who are attached to their pets and want to keep them. I seem to remember some tamers who were devastated having to give up pets that they had trained years ago -- or that were one of a kinds (like the early nightmares and wyrms.) I see no reason to limit tamer storage largely because of this. I have been working up a tamer and it is a bit disturbing to work a pet up for a while and then be FORCED to throw it away.

Truthfully, the simplest answer is for them to extend the "coop" concept to all pack instinct AND lower animal creatures, and give tamers up to 20 "world" slots. Add higherlevel (and more expensive) home stable slots for storage of particular creatures.

Those home stable slots should allow the creature to be seen -- similar to the zoo -- so that you could place a set of creatures in your house to show off or for sales. Give them some standard upkeep and use 50 lockdowns and I bet most tamers would be thrilled. Plus it would be more interesting to wander and view people's houses if you could see actual animals here and there.

But whatever, everyone wants to scream about the tamer that killed them the other night or took "their" monsters away. :sleep2:

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What if I fall and drop it? :p
I wish they would make the first 4 stable slots per character count bound that will be 28 stable slots for me to choose how I would like to use them.
If I decide to use all my stable slots just for my tamer and make my non tamers suffer and walk I should be able to.
Seriously tho reason I would like this is I would be able to take out any of my bonded pets out of the stables to use on any character that could control them.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could be wrong, but I believe the problem with an account-wide stable is that, like a bank box, a stable is coded as a list attached to the character (so they are actually with you all the time, just inaccessible).

That's why I tend to wonder if a chicken coop (in SA) is a bit of an experiment, since it seems to attach the chicken to the house instead of the character (although it is still only owned by the one character). If they work out without breaking things, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more uses of this tech in the future for animal storage.

In any case, if they can give 2 slots this expansion and it proves popular, they can offer 2 more next expansion :)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could be wrong, but I believe the problem with an account-wide stable is that, like a bank box, a stable is coded as a list attached to the character (so they are actually with you all the time, just inaccessible).

That's why I tend to wonder if a chicken coop (in SA) is a bit of an experiment, since it seems to attach the chicken to the house instead of the character (although it is still only owned by the one character). If they work out without breaking things, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more uses of this tech in the future for animal storage.

In any case, if they can give 2 slots this expansion and it proves popular, they can offer 2 more next expansion :)
Unlike the Bank Box, the Stables are not associated directly to the character. They are associated to the Shard via the Stable NPC's. Originally the list was associated to the specific Stable NPC, so there were many shorter lists. This proved to be .... customer unfriendly. So it was abstracted to a higher level, the shard, allowing for the customer to claim the pet from any Stable NPC. They at the same time increased the max size this list could be.

To the best of my knowledge there has never been an account centered stable system. It has been and is currently a Character specific sub list of the World Wide Stable system parent list. Hence the caps are per character NOT per account. Of course the character is Account Bound and by proxy this makes the pets .... eh kind of Account Bound but not visible to any character but the registered owner of the pet. We may be talking a very fine line here.

The Chicken Coop is a different implementation of this. It is house (hence account - subed to character) based. Meaning that once you use the Chicken Coop it is for you only as long as you have pets in it. What I failed to check was if the 3 Chickens actually counted down the secures or were they a free bee.

The expansion of the Chicken Coop should be rather easy to implement and can be ratioed IF REQUIRED for some perceived destabilization. Natural Ratio's would be 1:1, 1:5 and 1:25 not to many integer ratio's that I can think of. I also have no issues with retaining the Character Ownership model as long as the character has a pet in it.

And just my opinion, UO the business, UO the Game and UO Customers will benefit if there is a choice made to disconnect and eventually dismantle the World Wide Stable System in preference to a House Stable System. I do believe this action will reduce the over all UO system processing resources by a .... I dare say .... noticeable amount. Yeah it is unlikely they can discontinue the World Wide Stable System as not everyone has a house but perhaps those and Absentee Players are all that the World Wide Stable System is really for.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting. Hmm ... *ponders stuff*
When I say that the Bank Box and the Personal Back pack are the same container. Just the items are coded to NOT show in the other. And yes that is always with the character.

When I say the Stable System is not Account centered it means it is not one Stable System for all Characters on the Account to pick and choose from.

Now then because Character Names are not unique, there needs to be a unique identifier to be able to store things by in a list. This unique identifier is without doubt a concatenation of the accountdid and the characterid. In this sense yes accountid is the qualifier BUT the characterid is the limiter within the account.

I hope the above did not make things muddier.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*cough* The artwork for pet statuettes already exists in game and is used most every day. *cough*

For your consideration, I present my pet transfer crate:-

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My understanding from reading the House of Commons transcript is that only accounts upgraded with the Stygian Abyss expansion will have the additional stable slots.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*cough* The artwork for pet statuettes already exists in game and is used most every day. *cough*

For your consideration, I present my pet transfer crate:-

Great idea, just as long as we could LORE them while in this form.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I say as long as there is no negative impacts to game performance itself from additional stable slots, I say they give us all they can! The only downside I see would be lag or other slow downs because of the 1,897,987,259,1865,973,987,29.98 GreaterWhatchYaGotSers that every shard would have.

So, if we could all have, say, 150 pets, and the performance wouldn't suffer, I vote Aye!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*walks back in and sighs*
You lot still going on about this.

I think i figured out why they want more stable slots, because they found out the Greater dragon aint that good in the Gargoyle dungeons.

Also in my opinion the 2 extra slots were added for crafters so they could have the new mining beetle aswell as the blue, since the major part of this expansion is Imbuing and that needs crafters to be able to get the resources everyone else will be wanting.

As for wanting more stable slots, get in line. There is much more needed before Tamers get even more 'love'.
Translation: I hate tamers. I think GD's are over powered, so anything a tamer wants is wrong.
Believe me, I think GD's are overpowered and I never wanted them in the game, and if they took them out I wouldn't loose a wink of sleep, but that's not even the goddamn point here. In fact by limiting the stables slots you ENCOURAGE people to JUST use a GD and not experiment with other smaller pets cause the stables get clogged. It's idiotic.

Adding stable slots is as simple as changing a variable somewhere. Its not like its a freaking month long project. There is no balancing that needs to be done, no other in game conflicts or considerations to be made...it would make ZERO DIFFERENCE TO ANYTHING.

You need to step aside from your blind hate and realize you are have no good reason to not want people to have more stable slots.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct translation is they do not need more than +2. And you cannot argue it any way because you have no argument.
Jesus Christ, no one NEEDS anything. Its a game. You don't NEED a sword, or a spell book, you don't NEED any pets at all or items or anything. We don't NEED +2.

The argument is there is no REASON not to give people as many stable slots as they wish so long as it doesn't hurt game performance. Because it effects absolutely nothing!

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In fact by limiting the stables slots you ENCOURAGE people to JUST use a GD and not experiment with other smaller pets cause the stables get clogged. It's idiotic.
This is what I've been thinking all along, through the long, painful three pages of this thread.

Consider, for a moment, the "Must Haves" of the taming world. Greater Dragon, Dread Mare, Cu Sidhe, Rune Beetle, Bake Kitsune. Every tamer I know that is anywhere near 120 skill has all of these (except myself, missed the Dread Mare spawns). Throw in some multiples of these for different strengths and you have a full stable.

Due to my own choice in template, my tamer (who is also my main) has a current max of 11 stable slots (maybe 12, been a while since I actually tried it heh). For years I've been aiming to train up a pack, I have three little hell cats in the stable for amusement's sake, but they're the first to go if I happen to see a new pet I will likely get more use out of.

I like farming spawn for close to perfect critters, I'd love to be able to train up pets and sell them or give them to friends but I can't. Perhaps I'd have the room to do so if I'd made a different choice in templates, but I highly doubt it.

The point with all this (and not just my post, but many posters before me) is that by having such a low limit on stable slots, the stigma against tamers is only increased. Those with any amount of resentment toward the playstyle only ever see the GDs, the DMs... these hideously overpowered pets, because, when it comes to the crunch, what is any player that ever engages in PV-anything going to keep in their very limited stable? That cute neon purple bunny or a 5 slot dragon that combines the tank ability of a cu with the damage of a beetle/bake?

Oh and this:

As for wanting more stable slots, get in line. There is much more needed before Tamers get even more 'love'.
Yes, I agree there are many other issues that need fairly urgent addressing. But if we're gunna go by how long something has been "in line" for...? *coughs* Pub 16 *coughs* This is something tamers (and non-tamers for that matter) have been asking for for many, many years. And its about as imbalancing as the ML 20% storage increase. Pixel crack for those that want it, easily ignorable for those that don't.

T

The Fallout

Wow..... This thread is on fire...

Anyway I think all these posts warrant a Dev response. I mean they don't have to answer but I would like to see if they are open to the idea of more stable slots for tamers then just two.

This pic is for those who give arguments that don't make sense:

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I Like :)

And it is in the Trade Window :)
Not in trade window, it really is in a pet transfer crate.

When shard hopping, you check everything you are going to transfer and pets have their own wee crate.

@ Frodo, long time no see, poppet! :D

Sadly, critters are not loreable in this form or at least within the crate. No reason I can think of that they couldn't be made to be loreable in statuette form.

There would be no need to increase stable slots if we could convert unused pets to statuettes. I have 8 tamers worth of stuffed stables full of a whole bunch of pets I'd swiftly whip straight into statuette form.

Tamers who wish to indulge their collector sides could do so at the expense of their house lockdowns rather than the stabling system and/or precious stable slots.

Converting pets to statuette form = Goldsink
Converting pets back to pet form* = Goldsink

* In order to prevent abuse:-
1. Ensure there is a sizeable gold fee

2. Require a substantial time delay in order that pets may not be converted OR recoverted "in the field" (perhaps this can only be done in a stables or a safe log-out location such as our homes with the further requisite that we may NOT be flagged on or flagged as aggressive.)

3. Pets would be reactivated *only* in a stable where you would have to claim it in person (no reactivating on the fly)

4. Any other anti-abuse stuff anyone else can think up

Spares the stable load, increases Tamers' flexibility insofar as stabling without adding to stable slots, and the artwork already exists and is in use in-game.

Win-Win.
:thumbsup:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd go for that Nico :)

Better ensure the boxes are always set to owner only though, save being sued by a random passer by who stuck his hand in for a nosey. Could be a lotta dead thieves on my porch...

Wenchy

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that'd work out pretty cool, especially since oftentimes pets in the stable that take up the slots are ones we don't necessarily play with anymore but don't want to get rid of for sentimental reasons.

The gold sink could be simular to pet resurrection npcs - where the cost to put your pet into statue form or take out scales with the pet and isn't exactly cheap.

That'd be loads of win for sure :)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
4. Any other anti-abuse stuff anyone else can think up
Win-Win.
My memory of the Pet <-> Statuette days.

I think they weighed like 1 stone, kind of un-realistic and you could carry a virtual army around with you.

Dbl Clicking the Statue caused the Statue to Pet change.

Context menu on the Pet gave the choice of turning the Pet into a Statue. Placed in your back pack. More or less the exact same system the Ethereal's are.

Statue could be placed in the Trade Window and placed on Vendors etc.

Now how I used the system, this is intended to show how the spirit of the system could be perverted.

At the bottom of Hythloth there are Balrons. To the East there are a series of rooms that are reached by Teleporters. In those days the East most room was normally empty and if not was easy to empty. But there was a wall between you and the next room that could only be reached by the Teleporter.

Now then you lure the Balron into that room and hit the Teleporter to the next Room. You summon your Dragon (they were a lot more fierce in those days) Hide and let the Dragon Gain Agro. You go step into the room via the teleporter and turn a second Dragon Statue into a Pet and have it attack the Balron. When the Dragon was near Death you turned it into a Statue and stepped back on the teleporter to the next room, Hide to lose Aggro, get the damaged Pet back out and heal it up. Rinse and repeat.

The above is not the only scenario but they are all the same.

Time delays, Gold Sinks etc *Shrug* not my recommendation but I would not be opposed ... to much.

All that is required is an Artifact that can only be activated in a secure container, Bank or House that performs the transformation.

There is one more obstacle that would need to be over come. I know how to do it, I just need to get how to say it straight in my head. It is to deal with someone doing the Statue to Pet action that does NOT have the skills required to control/own the pet.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I'm surprised they've said they're adding two, though I haven't seen it anywhere officially, I was under the impression they were dead set against it, for the reason Maplestone rightly pointed out - the stable information is stored with the character - so combined with the server space issue would cause a great deal of lag.

For them its not just two stable slots, its two times however many players there are per shard, if it were tamer specific slots (& given that almost everyone has a tamer - including people who hate tamers) that storage and lag issue would be 2-5x as bad (on whats generally been mentioned in this thread - "why isn't it 4-20 extra?" etc etc)

I asked for two base to be added via their official feedback form a few months ago, as in everyone gets 4, then whatever the taming skill extra ones are on top of it. So I'm even more surprised its now apparently happening, plus I'm sure it was a dev who said the above issues previously somewhere. But oh well, if they can do it, without the problems I'd heard happening then I can't see what difference it would make.

(& thats coming from me, the proud chairman of the 'I hate the overpowered silverspoon fed f*s of the game' club)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I'm surprised they've said they're adding two, though I haven't seen it anywhere officially, I was under the impression they were dead set against it, for the reason Maplestone rightly pointed out - the stable information is stored with the character - so combined with the server space issue would cause a great deal of lag.
here

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is one more obstacle that would need to be over come. I know how to do it, I just need to get how to say it straight in my head. It is to deal with someone doing the Statue to Pet action that does NOT have the skills required to control/own the pet.
Same/similar system message should be received by the wanna-be reactivator as when attempting to have transferred a pet to a player with insufficient skill.

The remainder of your post is already covered in my points 2 and 3.

Specifically: Pet recoversion cannot be abused on the fly/in a dungeon/at a champ spawn as one must be unflagged, in a safe log-out location, and pets should only be delivered into one's stable where one must collect it in person (eg, any pet summoning ball links should be negated on pet being converted into a statuettte)

Having passed a skills check (eg, same as for transferring pets), there would necessarily need to be a stable slot availability check on the player reactivating a pet statuette to ensure the player has the required stable slot free to accept it.

A system message would confirm the pet has been safely delivered to stables (if ya wanna go rp-friendly with this, "Stable Hand confirms he has now located Fido," etc.)

...Or not, as the case may be, in which case simply modify the "You have too many pets in the stables" system message as required.

ps: This close to release, I'm certain Draconi & crew are cursing me right now. You know I love you all dearly.
:grouphug:

M

MorganaLeFey

Some people are never satisfied. Give a little and they still want the whole lot. *shakes head*

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LadyNico,

I have no substantive issues with your proposal and should work just fine. It is more restrictive than how I would do it. That is in essence the only way we differ as far as I can see.

I would create an Artifact that when placed in a Secure Container, a Bank Box or Locked Down would enable a Pet to be turned into a Statue and a Statue to be turned into a Pet with all Ownership/Controls being adhered to.

The Pet Statue itself is capable of being locked down, stored in a secure container/bank box, carried around, traded, sold etc.

And I agree this kind of system at this close to publish is probably causing .... some issues.

As far as I am concerned the above may be a better solution than extending the Chicken Coop to accomplish the majority of the goals.

What that idea lacks is the ability to display ones Collection, Trade a Pet, Sell A Pet.

As an Add On, I would think that the Artifact construct would facilitate people visiting places. Their Pet(s) would be turned into a Statue(s), appearing in their back pack, that can be turned back into the pet(s) when they leave.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not seen any post here in this entire thread asking for addition control slots. Reason being is because we as tamers know that additional control slots would imbalance the game. All we are asking for is more pet storage spots.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks If you feel your post was removed please take that up in Private Messages. Discussing Moderator/Admin action here publicly is a no no.

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know the devs said we all get 2 more stable slots, but honestly (call me whiny bratty idc) most of us tamers need more then two extra stable slots.

I would gladly give up some bank or house storage to do so. Most of us should get like ten extra stable slots and then most of us would have to sacrifice some storage space (if server storage is an actual problem) The plus 2 slots should be for non-tamers, most tamers need more like ten more slots.
2 more is excellent for me. I'm so glad they are giving them across the board. I can use more slots on my normal characters too, not just my tamers.

M

Merik

Major clean up completed.
*Accidentally knocks over a trash can*

Huh?

*Messes up the newspaper stand*

How that happen?

*Cleans out pockets*

I've been looking for that!

*Drops chocolate ice cream on the thread*

Yumm....

*Goes to Sleep*