• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Most Anticipated MMOs of 2012

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets see how Guild Wars 2 ranks against some of the other releases players are looking forward to this 2012. Got to love our youtubers and the work they do for all the fans of games. :)

[youtube]5mBDv5kh6Us&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]qsMxgdVT_JY[/youtube]

© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved. NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

*We at Stratics would like to thank and give credit to jijasparks, onrpg, for posting these on youtube for everybody's enjoyment*

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've been feeling really resistant to RPGs. Downloaded several recently, but quickly uninstalled them.

However, GW2 has really piqued my interest. I am very likely to purchase it.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enjoy both the PvE and PvP of Guild Wars. With Guild Wars 2 improving both content and the World versus World expanding on the PvP it's going to be great :)

I am a slight RP at heart even though I enjoy the PvP aspect very very much. With our guild in the GW1 we push the envelope in PvP or PvE as far as we can. I know many times we go without a healer to see how far each groups could get for our own guild competition.

Guild Wars 2 has dodging in the game and self healing makes the tactics very important.So this is more realistic because you don't want to stand in one spot and take mass damage. So its a learning process.

Biggest thing is I may log out the one night sign back in the day and see a totally different world from the night before. Since its ever changing what ArenaNet says about the game being a living world holds very true.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds pretty interesting! I've loved what I've seen on YUToob, maybe I'll give it a go. Between SWOTR and Battlefield 3 my gaming cue is pretty full.

-Grimm

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Haven't tried SWTOR, although most Stratics folks have been playing it since the release. However, I did get BF3 two days ago. It's soo good. O.O

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds pretty interesting! I've loved what I've seen on YUToob, maybe I'll give it a go. Between SWOTR and Battlefield 3 my gaming cue is pretty full.

-Grimm
Thank you Grimm :)

Guild Wars was more of an instanced world and limited for players and now Guild Wars 2 being a true MMO is big. Guild Wars instanced you could have up to 7 players in the world. Great for guilds working groups but with Guild Wars 2 it makes it easier especially for our large guild.

The graphics are amazing. Do you know if their graphics engine Grimm?

Game engine

Guild Wars 2 uses a heavily modified Guild Wars game engine which includes support for true 3D environments, more detailed environments and models, better lighting and shadows, new animation and effects systems, plus new audio and cinematics engines and a more flexible combat and skill-casting system.It uses Havok to provide destructible environment and ragdoll animation of creatures and Umbra's Occlusion culling technology.
Gaile Gray has indicated the game will support DirectX 10, but not require it to play. Guild Wars 2 will use the Havok physics engine and occlusion culling technology licensed from Umbra Software.
*Copied that from the wiki GW2 site.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2#cite_note-3

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ugh!!!! My thoughts came out faster then what I typed :p

I meant did you know or was familar of their graphic engine?

I was asking because since you may have delt with a couple of graphic engines with UO and tinkered with any others and may have gotten a chance to play with something simlar.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No worries, happens to me plenty!

I'm familiar with several game engines (Gamebryo, Unreal, Unity, Renderware, Ogre, as well as several proprietary engines) but I really know nothing about the GW2 engine. I'd actually LOVE to see their tool sets for world building and art pipelines. That's usually one of the bigger failings of proprietary engines is that, depending on the strength of your engineering team, so much resources goes into developing the engine that tools development suffers. It's this aspect of game design that interests me terribly, and the last thing a competing game company wants to talk about!!

Cheers,
Grimm

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Grimm for taking time and posting in this topic. Your comments was very insightful. I learned something new and interesting today and thank you for the lesson. :)

Best,

Zosimus