• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) Moonglow Outbreak - Investigation

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It appears the outbreak of rabies is spreading quickly across the land and was not contained to Moonglow as Governor Kattasrophe hoped it would be.

So it seems an investigation is needed to help indicate the root of the problem and possibly suggest a solution to end this insidious illness.

Speaking with the governor of Moonglow I was informed that there have been reports on Dagger Island, Moonglow, N’jelum, and Vesper. Therefore it appears this is spreading north and east as there have been no reports of any disturbance in Skara Brae or Yew.

So logically speaking the towns that should be on highest alert for any infestation would be Minoc, and Cove.

I would also suggest sharp eyes on Ocllo, New Magnicia, Skara Brae, Yew, and Buc’s Den.

Below is a map with the locations of towns that have had confirmed reports of the infection and towns that should be on alert of any disturbance.

An investigation this big will require some help of the citizens and is a task I do not have all of the required skills for. So please feel free to include any observations in this post. Considering this started with a Mongbat (that we know of) maybe a highly skilled tamer would have some input…

I will put my forensic skill to the test once I locate a corpse I can dissect.

I look forward to hearing more information on this.

York MoonOutbreak Map.png
Governor of Skara

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Humanoids leave dread spider corpses.
Animals leave wolf spider corpses.

Humanoids inflict lethal poison. Animals inflict weaker poisons.
Poison resists appear to be 100%.

Kittens, puppies, and mongbats are untameable.
Humanoids cannot be charmed with dryad allure.

Guards will not kill them even if they are convinced to commit a crime.
They only appear to be aggressive to players and pets.

Loot appears to be from a standard dread/wolf spider, making it not worth the time to kill them.
No special loot has yet been discovered on them.

Troop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well this whole thing could have been avoided by simply wearing purple shoes.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Purple Shoe brand prophylactic!

Because if you've got a foot, it's worth protecting!

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, I wonder if it might be tracking kills to give out rewards at the end. [Similar to that cure the gargoyle event, although that was a quest system, but only one person on Siege got the highest reward]. Probably just wishful thinking...

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It appears the outbreak of rabies is spreading quickly across the land and was not contained to Moonglow as Governor Kattasrophe hoped it would be.

So it seems an investigation is needed to help indicate the root of the problem and possibly suggest a solution to end this insidious illness.

Speaking with the governor of Moonglow I was informed that there have been reports on Dagger Island, Moonglow, N’jelum, and Vesper. Therefore it appears this is spreading north and east as there have been no reports of any disturbance in Skara Brae or Yew.

So logically speaking the towns that should be on highest alert for any infestation would be Minoc, and Cove.

I would also suggest sharp eyes on Ocllo, New Magnicia, Skara Brae, Yew, and Buc’s Den.

Below is a map with the locations of towns that have had confirmed reports of the infection and towns that should be on alert of any disturbance.

An investigation this big will require some help of the citizens and is a task I do not have all of the required skills for. So please feel free to include any observations in this post. Considering this started with a Mongbat (that we know of) maybe a highly skilled tamer would have some input…

I will put my forensic skill to the test once I locate a corpse I can dissect.

I look forward to hearing more information on this.

York View attachment 21159
Governor of Skara
Perhaps it spreads when someone was bit ventures out and around. My smith did venture, after spotting a rabid puppy, to Nujelm on a bod run early Wednesday. I traversed the entire island and didn't spot anything.

My guy, holed up in the Nujelm Inn, will try to confirm the reports in the morning.

Jack Nickelson

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My smith traversed the entire island of Nujelm w/o running into any rabid critters...gy, portal, and mine included. Upon gating back to Moonglow, I saw none there either...perhaps they might spawn later or tomorrow.

It is likely though, that Moonglow Outfitters will be stocking the appropriate leather gear this weekend in the event that citizens require gearing up for any further spawns or incurrisions of these critters.

Jack Nickelson

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hmm, I wonder if it might be tracking kills to give out rewards at the end. [Similar to that cure the gargoyle event, although that was a quest system, but only one person on Siege got the highest reward]. Probably just wishful thinking...
Hmm, I am not aware of any points or special drops for these animals. They just appear to get a boost in hit points and become even more blood thirsty.
Well this whole thing could have been avoided by simply wearing purple shoes.
I am not for sure if this will do anything but feel free to continue.
Perhaps it spreads when someone was bit ventures out and around. My smith did venture, after spotting a rabid puppy, to Nujelm on a bod run early Wednesday. I traversed the entire island and didn't spot anything.

My guy, holed up in the Nujelm Inn, will try to confirm the reports in the morning.

Jack Nickelson
Thank you Jack and eyes on nujelum is a great ideal. I am not convinced that this can be spread by humanoids, I say this because the infected appear to be confined to the fel facet and the location are neighboring. It appears to be air born or possibly water based as the tides and winds will naturally go in the same direction.
My ultimate concern is for those who use pets to fight this infection. Humans, Elves, and Gargoyles can use something of a Vaccine to fight off this infection (orange petals) but pets rely on the vet to do this in the post infected.

Wul2k = Post noted
Does anyone know of any reports of tamed pets turning on their masters?

I have yet to find any strays to bring back for examination.

Thanks for the reports
York
Governor of Skara

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pets show no ill effects from fighting them, nor do released pets.

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In my patrols today, I noticed some grey rocks by the moongate in Moonglow, that weren't there before... I couldn't move them.... or bust them with a pickaxe....

I walked through Moonglow and Vesper and didn't see anything infected, but I made sure to kill any Mongbats or rats I saw along the way

Last edited:

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any rabid polar bears on the southern end of Dagger/Ice Island today?

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My findings yesterday proved to be very illuminating. This being the first time I had found a creature to examine.However before I had a chance to split the poor creature open, I seen a puppy that had been infected too. I had no choice to but to put the poor fellow out of its' misery. As startling and unpleasant of an experience this was I was even more frighten to find that the puppy was really a wolf spider... This finding bares striking resemblance to "the Lady" who has cast a shadow over the townships in the past.
This makes me wonder if this is a ploy to distract us from a even more dastardly plot. This is merely speculation as the shadow was reportedly defeated... this may not be the case and perhaps the shadow found an escape root at the last moment.
Wolf Spider.png

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speculation is all we have in the absence of any further evidence, and the theories presented by those in charge do not match the available evidence.

Spread the word, and be ever alert against arachnid assailants.

Armed arachnid assailants are always alarming adversaries.

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Regardless on where they come from at least we know what they are and this will lead to an easier fight. *looks for Spider slayer weapon and spellbook*

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I noticed a rabid citizen in Moonglow today. I decided instead of killing it I would observe it to see how it infects others.
After watching it dispose of a sailor with haste it was obvious it was not interested in infecting instead killing. I needed to get a closer look but it moves so fast I could not keep up with it.
Moon Citizen Observation - 1.png , Moon Citizen Observation - 2.png
During the trapping another sailor was brutally murdered. I examined the corpse for evidence.
Moon Citizen Observation - 3.png ,
No signs of rabies but it was clear who dispatched this poor fellow.
Moon Citizen Observation - 4.png , Moon Citizen Observation -5.png
My suspect this may be a distraction. I have all the information I can gather so I must set him free. * I become tongue tie on the possibility of another invasion by the shadow.
Moon Citizen Observation -6.png
Reinforcements are called in and "the citizen" is laid to rest. Examination of the corpse turns up more disturbing evidence.

In any case as our NEW2 friend said it " Moonglow can sleep a little safer tonight"

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So far our affected places are, Moonglow, Dagger Isle, Nu Jhelom, Vesper, and Minoc. I've been trying hard this past few weeks to kill a lot of this. I just hope we can take care of this in time... York Mentioned this seems to be like an Invasion, He might be right. The citizen that we killed last night had the corpse of a dread Spider. Not a wolf spider. And just to be clear, Dread spiders are a lot stronger and harder to kill than a wolf spider. There is still much to investigate, but with York's help we are making progress. Thanks to everyone who has been helping or even just helped. It really means a lot to us who are having our cities invaded.

the_gooch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can assure the Citizens of Minoc that the city is NOT infected with rabies. Nor do we have any infected animals. Fortunately for Minocians the local Gypsy's have been handing out strange drinks that seem to help boost our immunities. I have also tried to help fight back infection but nothing seems to slow it down. I personally have not seen any corpses turn into a spider corpse as well.

crossandmore

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Too early to accuse the Drow and their Queen of making a comeback? Someone's got to take the blame, after all...
The family business, not to mention the reorganization of Vesper trade caravans has kept me locked in Vesper, but I've made arrangements for some 'accociates' of mine to further investigate this option.

Spidery Signature, Eli Cross.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
York Mentioned this seems to be like an Invasion
I'm glad York's out there supporting the cause, but geez... I get the icy stare of death for my attempts to expose the truth, but when York says it, "Hmm, that sounds legit". ;)

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
(sorry for the delay)
Nests have appeared in a few regions on or around Moonglow.
This is based on reports of 2 nests found 2 nights ago west of Moonglow at sea. They were quickly destroyed by the fine citizens. One more reported instance yesterday morning(around 9 am.east coast) on the island of Moonglow. I was unable to arrive in time to get a picture but it was said that it was just rabid mongbats. I suspect that this is much like a scouting team and we should be vigilant and remember that the past "infections" have gotten far worse.
More news as it comes available.

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm glad York's out there supporting the cause, but geez... I get the icy stare of death for my attempts to expose the truth, but when York says it, "Hmm, that sounds legit". ;)
I suspect that the adventures in your mind are sometimes more entertaining than the game world.... :)

Troop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran into Timur today outside of Britain. He was not red, but he did claim to be suffering from rabies.

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Report: Mongbat Nest
During the Governor's Meeting last night a messenger came in and alerted Katt that there was an active Mongbat Nest in Moonglow. Within moments the hall was cleared and we all took to the streets of Glow. I noticed that the nest had to be done in step killing the lower level spawn before the higher level could be attacked Mongbat Invasion 1 - 6.2.2014.png
This was a higher level guardian Mongbat. It's golden color is remarkable. This also indicates that this is more of an invasion as they seemed only interested in killing anyone in their sights.
After the nest in the town center was cleared more invading mongbats were discovered in the Lyceum.
Mongbat Invasion 2 - 6.2.2014.png
Upon arrival we found a "Rabid Mongbat Princess and Queen"; not to mention a few death-robes. (the queen had the EM drop - 10 attackers were rewarded)
It was clear that we were easily crushing the threat to the city. So much so that.... Mongbat Invasion 3 - 6.2.2014.png
The "lady" made an appearance to intimidate us. I confronted here immediately, challenging her to come down and face us.... In typical fashion from a person of her character she choose to leave rather then face certain defeat.
Shortly after the King arrives and he is shocked by the revelation...... Mongbat Invasion 4 - 6.2.2014.png
... that this was an invasion by "the Lady".
The King then informs us that we are need back a the Governors Hall because he has had the "Book of Truth" restored. The restoring of the book threw out something so vile and wicked the pictures did not turn out. (The darkness from this creature turned them black .....) However, this went down with a great deal "In Vas Mani", "Pet Kill", and "An Crop".
The Death robes stacked up like bricks building a castle.
When it was all over the King thanked us and all was right in the Kingdom. (at least until our sworn enemy returns with another wicked plan.)
Mongbat Invasion 5 - 6.2.2014.png

Case Closed

Lesson: Not everything is as it appears.

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Case isn't closed, The Lady is still alive, and she blamed Marcus for this, what ever she is doing, she either has a reason, or she just wants everything to be ripped apart,

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Her evil plot was to release mildly annoying creatures over a period of weeks?

DOES HER VILLAINY KNOW NO BOUNDS?!

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Case isn't closed, The Lady is still alive, and she blamed Marcus for this, what ever she is doing, she either has a reason, or she just wants everything to be ripped apart,
Her evil plot was to release mildly annoying creatures over a period of weeks?

DOES HER VILLAINY KNOW NO BOUNDS?!
I think the Lady's plan was flawed from the start on this one. It appears that after each item is returned to normal her/its power weakens; this could explain the mediocre spawn.
On the bright side of this ideal is if she does choose to strike again it will be much easier to stop her.