Monster "stealables" info

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 29, 2004
North of Seattle, South of Hythloth, born Pacific
I'm "resurrecting" my old thief, that hasn't played in years. I'd like to take her to some of the areas where she can steal from the monsters that hold the balms, lotions, etc. I understand that this includes the Champion spawns of both Ilshenar and Tokuno (don't want to involve her in the Felucia spawns because of the Pk's).

I know that this includes:

From the Sleeping Dragon Champion Spawn: Deathwatch Beetle Hatchlings, Lizardmen, Deathwatch Beetles, Kappas, Lesser Hiryus, Revenant Lions, Hiryus, Onis and Serado the Awakened.

From the Twisted Glade Champion Spawn: Pixies, Shadow Wisps, Centaurs, Dryads, Satyrs, Cu Sidhes, Feral Treefellows, Raging Grizzlies, and the Champion Twaulo of the Glade.

My question is this... Which of these monsters has the chance of having the balms, lotions, etc. and which do not?
:)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 29, 2004
Any monsters in a champ spawn location or Fel Dungeon. Your chance of stealing one of those special items is based on your stealing skill and iirc the fame of the monster you're stealing from.

http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=29880
Here's some more info on it.
Thanks for the info Black Sun and the link (which I had seen). What the link doesn't address (and what I'm really hoping for here) is info regarding the "level" of stealable loot vs the "fame level" of the spawn.

Should I "assume" that a prize such as a lotion or balm or seed will only be found on the very highest level of monster - or - is there a degree of randomness in this? Do the "lower" levels of the spawn have these at all or is it a matter of pure luck or randomness.

I guess what I'm asking or looking for is feedback from some of the more "successful" monster thieves out there as to specifically which of the spawn monsters "hold" the higher level loot.

Thanks Black Sun...

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 19, 2003
Catskills
All monsters in the proper areas have a chance to hold the loot. How likely you are to steal a special item depends on your skill, and the monsters fame.

There is no link (that I have ever witnessed or heard of) between certain items dropping from only high level monsters. I find that I have actually had better luck with mid level critters. They have a better payout for me because they are high enough in fame to give me a little boost, yet not so high I have to waste a bunch of time killing them to try again. Take despise by level for example:

Lizard Men
Ettins/Earth Ellies
Trolls/Ogres/Ogre Lords

Lizard men don't pay out well for me because their fame is too low. Sure I can mow throw them like nothing, but special items drop too far and few between with them.

Ettins & Ellies have enough fame to give me a little more boost in getting special items, but are not too hard for me to kill them in a reasonable amount of time before I can move on to the next one. (Trolls and Ogre's fall into this category as well)

Ogre Lords would (by the numbers) give me the best chance of a special item, but they take a week and a half for my thief to kill. A quick nab and run might work, but for collecting (to stock a vendor for example) they're not worth it for me.

As for what items each monster drops, well I've gotten a little of everything no matter who I fight. I haven't seen any evidence of higher level monsters dropping the more desirable loot.

I think I rambled a bit, but I hope I answered your question in a manner that's understandable to normal people and not just special cases like myself. :D

Uncle Talbo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
although not a super thief ( more like a weekend clepto) I have tried and had good success with the monster stealables. as far as the rate of success of getting a stealable form a monster goes I have no idea, but as far as what lvl fame a monster must have I tell you i think it is truely IRL luck. I have recieved seeds and balms from mummy's, slimes, rats, and lich lords. I had a small colection of the items going a while back but i havent really attempted aquireing new products in a couple months. Im assumeing of course that you have your stealing all the way to 120, ( if not grab some ehancement items like shadow dancers and top off) then i think the key to success is quantity over quality, I mean if i steal from 100 rat men in an hour and you steal from 25 Lich lords inthe same hour, I belive that i will have aquired more product than you, I ussually pin down a target that i can steal from and kill quickly so that another will spawn soon, rather than takeing the chance of loseing insurance money. Hope this helps.:gee:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 29, 2004
All monsters in the proper areas have a chance to hold the loot. How likely you are to steal a special item depends on your skill, and the monsters fame.

There is no link (that I have ever witnessed or heard of) between certain items dropping from only high level monsters. I find that I have actually had better luck with mid level critters. ... As for what items each monster drops, well I've gotten a little of everything no matter who I fight. I haven't seen any evidence of higher level monsters dropping the more desirable loot.
Thanks, Black Sun, that's the kind of info I was looking for...

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 29, 2004
....but as far as what lvl fame a monster must have I tell you i think it is truely IRL luck. I have recieved seeds and balms from mummy's, slimes, rats, and lich lords. .....i think the key to success is quantity over quality, I mean if i steal from 100 rat men in an hour and you steal from 25 Lich lords inthe same hour, I belive that i will have aquired more product than you, .....
Thanks Talbo, that does help...