• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Modders: What are DDS files?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I figured that adding a few more icons to the Enhanced Client might be useful and not too difficult. One thing I couldn't find out though: What kind of format is DDS? How do I create/convert it? Can the icons be created in any graphics tool?

Is there a comprehensive guide about modding the client?

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DDS files are a type of graphics file that allows you to save an alpha channel for transparency effects. You can get a DDS plugin for Photoshop. If you don't have PS, you can also use Gimp (free) with a DDS plugin. Irfanview with the plugin pack is also useful as a viewer for dds files.

There's a Custom_UI_Documentation.zip in your UserInterface directory that explains quite a bit, but it does not go into depth about altering graphics.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the hint! I created some DDS files and it works! I now have all fencing and swords weapons as icons available. Very handy for my switch weapon macros.