• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] Moddable Gumps

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm think that this suggestion has been made before, but I'd like to make it again. I'd love to see moddable gumps such as those we had with the KR client in the EC. Perhaps a legacy and enhanced mode for the gumps could toggle between the CC style gumps, and moddable gumps such as those we had with the KR client.

F

Fink

I think the issue is they don't want to maintain two systems for two clients concerning server-side gumps, which really seems like reneging on their commitment to two client support.

This is why Classic client got the crafting menu from Enhanced, and why things like Veteran Rewards and so forth are the ugly, out of place Classic version even in the so-called Enhanced client.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I think the issue is they don't want to maintain two systems for two clients concerning server-side gumps, which really seems like reneging on their commitment to two client support.

This is why Classic client got the crafting menu from Enhanced, and why things like Veteran Rewards and so forth are the ugly, out of place Classic version even in the so-called Enhanced client.
I think the problem was something else actually, I do not remember what it was though, I think dermott posted it somewhere on here why they are internal now.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wasn't me, I'm still VERY unsure as to why they did it. I just know they did it and now we can't do ANYTYHING with several of the gumps which is a shame because in some cases, the functionality of the KR UI was SO much better.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1723088 said:
I think the problem was something else actually, I do not remember what it was though, I think dermott posted it somewhere on here why they are internal now.
I'm pretty sure I remember the reason being what Fink said. They didn't want to maintain two sets of code if they didn't need to.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The KR crafting gump was much more user friendly because I didn't have to click twice to get into the ingredients of making the item.
Example: Greater Poison... now i have to click square on the right of the item in order to see the pic of the item and the ingredients and only then do I get the "make max" option.
KR had it easier.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I'm pretty sure I remember the reason being what Fink said. They didn't want to maintain two sets of code if they didn't need to.
Hmm perhaps, I know I simply can not remember 100% for sure. But honestly....It would not really be two sets of code, since each piece of the gumps are designated "items" they could name the items the same in each set and simply have artwork that is different...considering you are a fairly large part of the modding of the client I hope you know what I mean from a coding stand point, as I didn't want to explain it properly.

Edit: I suppose in part it may depend on how exactly that aged server side code is written, but I would think if they were going to rewrite the crafting menu anyway (which they did) then they would have been able to make it handle more than one "display" the display of the code really should have no affect on updating later, as the code in the client would not have changed, each segment of the gump would still be named "this" and you use that name in the code to get the required effect.